Ganjah K - Danksta Life (1992 Los Angeles,CA)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

basta

Ganjah K - Danksta Life (1992 Los Angeles,CA)

Post by basta »

Hey !

Jake (Echo Leader) reminds me...I have this nice joints in my collection... He gave me the information about Ganjah so i deicided to post here !

Enjoy this !!!

Ganjah K - Danksta Life (1990-92 Los Angeles,CA))

...no cover ???...

Jake (Echo Leader) said:

Code: Select all

As far as I know "Danksta Life" was never "officially" released in any form and probably existed only on cassette until someone ripped their copy to mp3. The reason I say this is because in a 1993 Rap Pages profile, it says Ganjah K is "still unsigned," and the few people on the 'net who claim to have the album date it as 1992. If this is right, then the material was probably recorded between 1990 and 1992, during the earliest days of the Good Life Cafe, Freestyle Fellowship, and Project Blowed.

The location would have been Los Angeles. As I indicated above, Ganjah K was a key figure in the early Project Blowed movement and appears on most of if not all of the "Heavyweights" cuts.

As for a cover, unless the same person who ripped their cassette scanned that as well, it's probably lost to the ages.

Google barely brings up anything when you type Ganjah K's name in. He doesn't even have any official releases on Discogs, just song and soundtrack features. I do know, however, that his "official" album, "Harvest For The World" was supposed to be released in 1994 or 1995 on Pallas Records but got shelved for reasons unknown to me. That has never officially existed on cd or vinyl, and the few copies that people claim to have were probably ripped from promo cassettes or bootlegged studio DATs. 
01-ganja_k_-_poverty_is_a_crime
02-ganja_k_-_paper_chase
03-ganja_k_-_ya_too_strong
04-ganja_k_-_danksta_life
05-ganja_k_-_when_ya_homie_die
06-ganja_k_-_everybody_wants_to_be_a_g
07-ganja_k_-_bud_berries
08-ganja_k_-_smoke_buds_and_down_brew
09-ganja_k_-_medicine_man
10-ganja_k_-_dis_type_of_shit
11-ganja_k_-_ups_and_downs
12-ganja_k_-_got_my_mind_trippin

Code: Select all

http://rapidshare.com/files/253043065/Ganjah_K_-_Danksta_Life__1992_Los_Angeles_CA__.zip
Last edited by basta on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

tight man. will d/l when i get home.

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

This cassette was the shit back in the days! I remember a friend of mine managed to get a copy for me when he visited LA in the early 90s in conjunction with the first Freestyle Fellowship album, and I played it 'til my fuckin' Sony walkman ripped it. I guess it was the last original tape I ever entrusted to my walkman...

Thank you so much!!!

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

On a related note I've been desperately looking for the First Brigade demo for so long - anyone got mp3's of it?

If you're into this good old LA shit check AlienNationRadio at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8o7e3mq ... annel_page

By the way Volume 10's "Hip Hopera" is one of the illest West Coast albums of all times! Very creative lyrical styling, innovative rhyme schemes plus Fat Jack in his prime. Sometimes he even sounds like an LA-bred Pharoahe Monch...

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

doooope! his verse on Freestyle Fellowships Heavyweights left me salivatin! thanks for the DL!

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

anybody have a decent copy of Harvest for the World?

Verge

Post by Verge »

I claim complete ignorance on this and will dl now.
Thanks.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

bignormy wrote:anybody have a decent copy of Harvest for the World?
This.

As a matter of fact, forget the quality; does anyone have a copy of this record, period?

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

Verge wrote:I claim complete ignorance on this and will dl now.
Thanks.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

forgive my ignorance as well but this isn't the album that never got released on capitol records, is it?
if not, does anyone have that?

kotep

Post by kotep »

man some classic lps got lost to Pallas folding back then

one that i have been wanting to hear FOREVER is the Erule album that he made for pallas

the one that listen up/synopsis was the first single for.....

DOES ANYONE HAVE OR HAVE EVER HEARD THAT BEFORE?!?!

or is it lost forever?

kotep

Post by kotep »

oh would really like to hear the Harvest lp too by Ganjah K

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Blockhead wrote:forgive my ignorance as well but this isn't the album that never got released on capitol records, is it?
I don't think so, Block. I think this is a strictly underground tape that was circulating before he got signed. I'm pretty sure the album you're thinking of is "Harvest For The World." Pallas WAS a subsidary of Capitol, right?

kotep wrote:man some classic lps got lost to Pallas folding back then

one that i have been wanting to hear FOREVER is the Erule album that he made for pallas

the one that listen up/synopsis was the first single for.....

DOES ANYONE HAVE OR HAVE EVER HEARD THAT BEFORE?!?!

or is it lost forever?
Yeah, I would love to hear this album. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's lost forever; the DATS & studio master reels are probably sitting in a crate in a warehouse or dusty old studio somewhere. I'm pretty sure Erule himself doesn't even have a copy of this record.

Such a damn shame. This jawn is on par with Bas Blasta's "The Mouth That Roared" and Audio Two's "First Dead Indian," as far as unreleased albums go.

Erule made a few moves after he left Pallas, though. He dropped this in 2001:

I guess it was supposed to be his underground comeback or something. I don't seem to remember it making much noise. Dropped on a low-budget indie label and faded to black with the quickness. A cursory search shows that you can still cop this on Amazon for around $18, though.

:icedit: Does anyone have the Cold Currentz album?

Thun

Post by Thun »

Someone has it, it has been posted here before.

Warning: aside from 3 or 4 cuts, the production is some 3rd tier g-funk bullshit.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Thun wrote:Someone has it, it has been posted here before.

Warning: aside from 3 or 4 cuts, the production is some 3rd tier g-funk bullshit.
Ha. Thanks for saving me the time, Thun. :lol:

Verge

Post by Verge »

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=erule
Cold Currents album is in this thread.
It's not that good. Certain cuts that were the singles are really good , though.
Like "The Real Me" and "Milestones".

Verge

Post by Verge »

I didn't see Thun's comment there.
Yeah, absolutely, most of the production really sucked dick on that album.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Echo Leader wrote:
Blockhead wrote:forgive my ignorance as well but this isn't the album that never got released on capitol records, is it?
I don't think so, Block. I think this is a strictly underground tape that was circulating before he got signed. I'm pretty sure the album you're thinking of is "Harvest For The World." Pallas WAS a subsidary of Capitol, right?

ganja k was on pallas?i coulda sworn he was on capitol.
when "all balls don't bounce" dropped i knew this dude that worked at capitol. he gave me both those albums and , cause i liked the acey album so much, i never got into the ganja k one. now i'm racking my brain to remember where i put that cassette but i'm pretty sure it's long gone.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Blockhead wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:

ganja k was on pallas?i coulda sworn he was on capitol.
when "all balls don't bounce" dropped i knew this dude that worked at capitol. he gave me both those albums and , cause i liked the acey album so much, i never got into the ganja k one. now i'm racking my brain to remember where i put that cassette but i'm pretty sure it's long gone.
Yeah, as far as I know Ganjah K was supposed to drop his "Harvest" album on Pallas. At least, that's the record label that gets brought up in conjunction with it whenever the "legendary shelved albums" jumps off.

I know Noz mentioned the album a few years ago during Blowed Week on Cocaine Blunts, but I've never seen it talked about on any other blogs.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

OK, so I just finished listening to this in it's entirety and I'm really mystified as to whether it dropped in 1992 or later.

One of the songs ("Ups & Downs") actually features Snoop Dogg on the chorus. It's not a sample either, because Snoop ad-libs at the end and shouts out DPG.

Can anyone else shed any light on this album?

kotep

Post by kotep »

NIK LUV
on the Cold Currents lp is a track that is definitely close to the quality of Listen Up and Synopsis....

last song on the record....samples the Summer Madness jack that Bill Conti did for the Rocky soundtrack

they really wanted (supposedly stallone himself wanted) to use Summer Madness from Kool and the Gang but United Artists couldnt secure the rights ...

so they used a similar groove with keeping with the main musical motif of the entire soundtrack...the result is amazing....

i zipped the nik luv track, its instrumental, the Conti song and Summer Madness for yall

all 3 are incredible....
enjoy

http://www.mediafire.com/?qwmjzm2d0lz

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, that Conti track been sampled a few times, I didn't know the story behind it, though.
Thanks kotep.

kotep

Post by kotep »

oh really? i thought it was just king born (that was erule's prod right?)

who else sampled it?
anyone good?

Verge

Post by Verge »

The first joint I remember off the top of the dome was a promo for the Stretch n Bobbito show.
But, damn, I can't remember who it was by.

When I found the Rocky soundtrack, that was the sample that I recognized it for.
Since then, mostly from T.R.O.Y., I've heard it used at least two other times.

I'm feeling pretty foot in mouth right now, but trust me, there's a couple more.
I'm gonna keep an ear out for them now.
That E Rule was probably one of them.
:lol:
Anybody recognize it-
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=7862480-a04" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=7862480-a04" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Kool Max Power wrote:On a related note I've been desperately looking for the First Brigade demo for so long - anyone got mp3's of it?

If you're into this good old LA shit check AlienNationRadio at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8o7e3mq ... annel_page

By the way Volume 10's "Hip Hopera" is one of the illest West Coast albums of all times! Very creative lyrical styling, innovative rhyme schemes plus Fat Jack in his prime. Sometimes he even sounds like an LA-bred Pharoahe Monch...
i used to think of him as LA's ODB with the drunken style.

..and kotep I agree about Nik Luv. It's right there with Listen Up. ERules on fucking point with that track. Good call.

giant props for this BASTA.

kotep

Post by kotep »

man the embedding shit that divshare does is dope...just wish it never sent me in so many loops when tryin to download from it.....

to go off on a tangent another amazing erule joint is the one he did with my boy saukrates on that adam 12 12inch..wonderful world

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmm2z3t3z1g

does anyone have the full Adam 12 Ep that he put out?
has dope ass tracks on it...i cant find the wax of it anywhere in my records and its pissin me off

http://www.discogs.com/DJ-Adam-12-Prese ... ase/745259

again sorry to sidetrack off of the ganjah k thread

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

Echo Leader wrote:One of the songs ("Ups & Downs") actually features Snoop Dogg on the chorus. It's not a sample either, because Snoop ad-libs at the end and shouts out DPG.
Another proof it was recorded in 1992 because I doubt Snoop would have collaborated with an underground artist like Ganjah K after the huge success of "the Chronic" which was released in late '92. Just my humble opinion...

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

This is dope and new to me, thank you basta, I do remember reading about him in Rap Pages back in the days.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

check this track...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OHIQUaT48N0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OHIQUaT48N0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

That was from the CATER TO THE DJ album produced by Fat Jack, who has his hand in alot of Project Blowed production.... I could only fin the second part of his album on line :(

http://megadownload.net/file/mu/ij3w5yp ... isc-2-.zip

If I find the album in my files, I will share... but this will have to do for now.

2-01 Abstract Rude Cater To The DJ
2-02 Phoenix Orion How Many?
2-03 P.E.A.C.E. It's A Packed House
2-04 Jizzm Looking For Somethin'
2-05 Ganjah K Scud Missile
2-06 R.E.A.L. Mine Fields
2-07 Li'l Scorpion Daddy The Elephant
2-08 Aceyalone Golden Mic
2-09 Busdriver Drive Safe
2-10 Big Arch I Had Flow From The Git Go
2-11 Puzoozoo Watt Everyday MC Work
2-12 Otherwize A Wize Man's Advice