Black Sheep - Nonfiction (Why is this album hated?)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Magneto

Black Sheep - Nonfiction (Why is this album hated?)

Post by Magneto »

I love this album. Dres was a much better MC on here than he was on the debut, and the production was very good too. I'd say that their content was more cliched on here, but other than that, I don't get the hate.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

word. this album is very unfairly hated on.considering some of the half assed bullshit people sweat from this era, it's pretty crazy how hard people front on this album.
i dunno if i agree with dres being better on this then the first one but he does have some seriously brilliant moments ("freak freak yall" and "autobiographical"). the beats are definitely dope but mr lawnge is fucking unlistenable on it. and, for some reason, he felt the need to rap more on this then he did on the debut.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Yeah Mr.Lawnge's rapping is awful but that's not enough to distract from Dres rapping and the production.

I would say he was much better lyrically on this album
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

he's definitely more serious on the second album.. it's kinda hard to compare the two cause, aside from "black with nv", dres is just a smug asshole on the first album. where as, on "non fiction", he's expanded his topical range. i think i prefer the smug asshole though.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Dope album, I have always enjoyed it and my favourite moment from that album is on "Gotta Get Up" when Dres goes "queens, Nah fuck that Queens I aint hushing, I'm crushing ma fucks with a bumrush from flushing"

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Good album but I think Dres performance was better on Wolf. More memorable and it just seem fresher too.

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

i love this album.... i love both album

Thun

Post by Thun »

We've had this discussion before but this album is definitely underrated.

Autobiographical, Freak Freak Ya'll, Me & My Brother, E.F.F.E.C.T., and B.B.S. are all top-notch, undeniable bangers.

Summa Tha Time, We Boys, Without A Doubt, and Peace To The Niggas were good attempts at making contrived topics seem fresh.

Bright Lights and Do Your Thing have great lyrics but the beats are a little dull.

Let's Get Cozy and Who's Next were just awful.

The remixes to Without A Doubt and North South East West were great, but nobody heard them.

boogs

Post by boogs »

no doubt, the Showbiz remix of North East South West is dope. Matter of fact Non-Fiction was the first thing I heard from Black Sheep (a friend bought the CD back in the day). Never really understood the hate on that album either. Totally different approach compared to the debut but that's not a bad thing.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

I'm one of those people that never gave this album a fair shot because I was looking for something similar to "A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing". The debut was honestly my favorite album for a while. My 8th grade soundtrack.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Thun

Post by Thun »

boogs wrote:no doubt, the Showbiz remix of North East South West is dope. .
Did you mean the Buckwild remix? I'm not familiar with a Showbiz remix ... if this exists, PLEASE upload it...

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

I'm another who did not give this album a fair shot when it came out. I'm gonna dip back into it and give it another listen.

This is one of the reasons why I'm on Philaflava. Yall remind me about obscure albums I used to bump and albums I need to give another listen with my 2009 ears.

BTW, what ever happened to Mista Lawnge? He was a dope producer but his work beyond the twp Black Sheep albums seems almost non-existent.

Thun

Post by Thun »

strategy786 wrote:I'm another who did not give this album a fair shot when it came out. I'm gonna dip back into it and give it another listen.

This is one of the reasons why I'm on Philaflava. Yall remind me about obscure albums I used to bump and albums I need to give another listen with my 2009 ears.

BTW, what ever happened to Mista Lawnge? He was a dope producer but his work beyond the twp Black Sheep albums seems almost non-existent.
He released a solo album a few years back that was lauded for a month on the blogosphere ... do a google search, you should be able to find it.

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

I could only find the instrumental after a quick YouTube search but here it is:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCJdlo661Vo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCJdlo661Vo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sounds good. Never heard it either.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Excellent.

Am I imagining things or did he sample a TINY, possibly echo, portion of Nautilus? If so, that's sick.

Now somebody upload the version with vocals!

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

its completely missing that native tongue vibe that the first album held...that vibe where you can feel the whole collective (and the beatnuts) being in the studio for the making of it...its a magic you cant duplicate...certainly not by doing a 180 and hanging out in the bronx with the legion and ditc...what a reach that was and a sad of example of trying way to hard to be something youre not

mr lawnge acting all hard on EFFECT is beyond pathetic...his bronx shoutouts and puffin his chest out the the whole album...settle down chief

it very similar to the metamorphisis that the umcs tried from FON to unleashed and to me its not even a black sheep album

lets get cozy has the les mcann piano that the e bros used and autobiographical can stand up against anything on 'wolf' but other than that the beats sound like ditc throwaways and again not that native tongue sound they should be

i cant even listen to the thing and i might like dres more than anyone on the planet

skater4041

Post by skater4041 »

The blog put up that whole 12'' back when they did all the black sheep stuff

http://sharebee.com/c36e4f86

whole post for anyone that missed

http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... ality.html

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

^ nice, never knew there was a Showbiz remix
strategy786 wrote:
all I have on me is this remix from Street Gamins EP, 1994

Jaz B. Lat'n - Set It Off (MISTA LAWNGE REMIX)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dtrjze

on discogs it says he did a remix of 'The Points' (if anyone has this can they upload plz), 2 tracks on The Legion's album 'Theme + Echo = Krill', and one track off Chi-Ali's debut

weekdaywarrior

Post by weekdaywarrior »

"Without a doubt" Salaam Remi remix was my shit!!!! but the b-side "to the south siiide to the north side" sucked ass.. and agreed on Mr Lawnges rapping.. "Catching more wreck then a west coast fiire" daaaamn!! move over finesse!
I never heard the whole album but I know they got some bangers.. any got an upload of this?

skater4041

Post by skater4041 »

The Points (Mista Lawnge's Points Dirty)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mnytfngmiaw

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

^^ thanks a lot, cheers

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Never listened to this album.

:upload:

kotep

Post by kotep »

mista lawnge had a 12inch way after nonfiction....a japanese release my boy Moves had it.....

was ok but the bside was a FUCKIN HILARIOUS song called "I Thought It Was A Fart But I Shitted"

MISTA LONG
WHO ROCKS THE SPOT/REMIX/SEXY LADY/REMIX/I THOUGHT IT WAS A FART (LONGEVITY WAX 12")

im not joking and we used to play it all on the time on this radio show we had called Lord Knows What

heres proof i aint nuts
http://www.wigout.jp/product/16219

please tell me someone has that!
i been looking for it for like 5 years now

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

I prefer it to their debut (I like the darker DITC sound better than the Native Tongues vibe). The poor sound quality on the first album takes a lot of enjoyment out of listening to it too, the average Mindbender upload is mixed better.

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

weekdaywarrior wrote: I never heard the whole album but I know they got some bangers.. any got an upload of this?
Echo Leader wrote:Never listened to this album.

:upload:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BFGA7689

magga-goldenagehiphop.blogspot.com

jvg

Post by jvg »

Because its not as good as the first one.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Combo7 wrote:the average Mindbender upload is mixed better.
:larry:

kevin beacham

Post by kevin beacham »

I really like the second album. I don't know if I would say it is better than the first, but I do seem to listen to songs from the second album more than the first. I definitely think he was better lyrically on the 2nd album from a metaphorical-punchline stand point. He had some pretty amazing lines. Plus I think his delivery was better also. One of my favorite lines is when he is talking about touring and says, "I go state to state like metamorphisis"...Lightning nice.

Boothe

Post by Boothe »

mr lawnge acting all hard on EFFECT is beyond pathetic...his bronx shoutouts and puffin his chest out the the whole album...settle down chief
This point is key.

There seemed to be a lot of effort on Lawnge's part to be "the" rapper. It sounded very forced, and was distracting (especially on EFFECT and H.A.A.)

kotep

Post by kotep »

so i guess no one has

Mista Long - I Thought It Was A Fart?