Pete Rock or DJ Premier?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Who is your favourite producer between these two legends?

DJ Premier
73%
Pete Rock
27%

Total votes: 131

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

Blockhead wrote:
i'd say this only applies to primo circa the late 90's till now.
when he started using the same drums one almost every beat and chopping shit up more.
his earlier work was much more straight forward sample and break beat kinda shit.
yeah, that is true actually... on 'Return Of the Boom Bap'/'Hard 2 Earn' kind of era, the foundation is there, and by the time of 'Livin Proof' I think he had definitely cemented his style and stuck with it, to this day. - I just heard The Blaq Print earlier today and there's at least 3 beats on there that are as good as anything he's done IMO

illest

Post by illest »

sajr wrote:DJ Premier is without a doubt the best hip hop producer ever. Pete Rock is in the top five and maybe even number two but theres a big difference between him and Premier.
whats the big difference, sajr? explain dat.

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

premo, hands down, shout out to pete rock though, he's a legend too, but i've got to run wit premo

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

vaporized wrote:one thing about premo, he's retained his signature style since day one... you can still tell a new premo beat within 5 secs of hearing a track, hands down.
If someone had handed me an instrumental version of 'NY's Finest' and told me to name the producer, I'm not sure I would have been able to put my cards on the table and say "yeah that's Pete Rock, for sure"...
But that cd is straight garbage.

sajr

Post by sajr »

illest wrote:
sajr wrote:DJ Premier is without a doubt the best hip hop producer ever. Pete Rock is in the top five and maybe even number two but theres a big difference between him and Premier.
whats the big difference, sajr? explain dat.
The real big difference is the volume of work. Premier has produced a hell of a lot more than Pete. Premier has produced more whole albums as well as individual tracks and remixes. Pete also holds onto too much music that he should release like all those future flavas exclusives.

A lot of people say that Premier has that signature sound and yes you can tell a Premier song quite quickly but I read an interview with him a couple of years ago and he was asked about this and he said that he does have difference styles and pointed to tracks like Doobie ashtray and second childhood. He went on to say that people come to him for that Premier sound and its what people are paying for so its what he gives them.

ruraloutfitter

Post by ruraloutfitter »

vaporized wrote:1991-95 - pete rock

1995-09 - premier
He got it.

45ReC

Post by 45ReC »

As far as releasing joints consistently, premo holds that crown. Premo being better tho... that's insane. Premier has'nt prod. more than pete & that has no effect on him or anyone being better either. Pete releasing a couple hundred future flavas or pirate radio joints don't break a 3rd of his catalog. Even CL onelegged some demos partly cause he knows pete won't & don't care to do it. He's got over 25k joints from the 90's alone collecting dust. Pete '91-02 is untouchable. At the pete vs premier event when pete got on the fans lost it completely. There's no comparison & as for style, pete's technical arrangements are unmatched. He's in a class of his own. When you hear about Dilla, 9th, Kanye, etc, all of them said they emulated pete. Premo said when you hear a pete beat there is this thing in your neck dat you did'nt know you had when you are nodding your head.

illest

Post by illest »

you niggas need to read and reread what 45rec said. niggas have no idea the illness of pete. and to say premier has better remixes.....

real hiphop das fx - petes is better
militia gangstarr - petes is better
stop the prophet jeru - petes is better

Verge

Post by Verge »

45ReC wrote: Pete releasing a couple hundred future flavas or pirate radio joints don't break a 3rd of his catalog. Even CL onelegged some demos partly cause he knows pete won't & don't care to do it. He's got over 25k joints from the 90's alone collecting dust. Pete '91-02 is untouchable. At the pete vs premier event when pete got on the fans lost it completely. There's no comparison & as for style, pete's technical arrangements are unmatched. He's in a class of his own. When you hear about Dilla, 9th, Kanye, etc, all of them said they emulated pete. Premo said when you hear a pete beat there is this thing in your neck dat you did'nt know you had when you are nodding your head.
Maybe he should release some shit and then we'll see.
Until then, his last album was trash.

45ReC

Post by 45ReC »

verge I agree that last album was trash for a pete rock album, but his official catalog speaks for itself. Even if he never releases another joint another day in his life, the proof is in the pudding.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

Pete rock dominated the fastest lane of the freeway, no one passed him. No one. His lane was always his and always will be.
His run from 1992-1998 was impressive. Unmistakable style in that run.

Problem is Primo was above the highway in a chopper. He had limitless styles until he fell into a chop/bounce routine around 96.
Primo from 1992-1996 was like Jordan from 1991-1993.
It'll be hard to top.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I have been thinking about this and I actually think Pete Rock AND DJ Premier are the best producers, they are equal to me, but because this is a poll I chose DJ Premier because he rarely disappoints and has been very consistent.

illest

Post by illest »

DULLAH wrote:Pete rock dominated the fastest lane of the freeway, no one passed him. No one. His lane was always his and always will be.
His run from 1992-1998 was impressive. Unmistakable style in that run.

Problem is Primo was above the highway in a chopper. He had limitless styles until he fell into a chop/bounce routine around 96.
Primo from 1992-1996 was like Jordan from 1991-1993.
It'll be hard to top.
pete had limitless styles as well. his records sounded like an orchestra was playing. who made premier step his game up on illmatic? pete rock. who made primo step his game up on rakims 18th letter? pete rock. i know pete is a chump, asshole and an egostical jamaican to the core. cats like madlib thought pete had a special sp. niggas bought sp 1200s because of pete. not marley. petes catalog is dope enough minus the futureflavas and unreleased shit that he has. NOW....if he ever puts that out (he wont) or someone goes and breaks in Marleys crib niggas opinion will change.

i know pete is an asshole and an egostical jamaican to the core. but to say premier by a landslide (like ive seen on this post) or premier easy means that cats arent listening.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

DULLAH wrote: but to say premier by a landslide or premier easy means that cats arent listening.
if you go song for song it really isnt close

primo is goat and then pete is in the mix with rza - large pro - marley or whoever else you include in that second tier

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

clark bent wrote:
DULLAH wrote: but to say premier by a landslide or premier easy means that cats arent listening.
if you go song for song it really isnt close

primo is goat and then pete is in the mix with rza - large pro - marley or whoever else you include in that second tier
When did i write that? :lol:

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

What's the deal on Pete Rock being an asshole? Would like to know about this. The only thing I ever heard was that Nas called him a "funny style nigga" or something like that and refuses to work with him again.

jay

Post by jay »

Love both but my nod goes to Soul Brother #1

45ReC

Post by 45ReC »

Pete & Nas are in the process of making an album as we speak. clark bent if we go song for song, pete holds his own easily. If u like premo better that's cool, but don't discredit pete's status because of it. That's like me saying who had the best remix on every 12" pete & premier were ever featured on & we all know that answer? Don't forget Q-Tip & Puff going to the basement & taking his work instead of just asking him to lay it down for them & countless others trying to imitate his style. Pete's production/influence is unmatched.

kimani

Post by kimani »

I think the main difference in opinions on this subject comes down to a difference in evaluating the greatest vs. who has done songs you like more. Pete Rock (and anyone else) can't come close to the amount of phenomenal tracks/albums DJ Premier has produced. He's fully produced as many classic albums as many producers have individual tracks. That is insane. Pete Rock hasn't, though he has a tremendous catalog of some of hip-hop's greatest songs and even a few of the genre's greatest albums. It would be like me claiming Godfather Don was the greatest producer of all time because his style is my favorite and he fully produced a couple albums that are in my mind classics. I still couldn't vote him over Premo just due to numbers.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

kimani wrote:I think the main difference in opinions on this subject comes down to a difference in evaluating the greatest vs. who has done songs you like more. Pete Rock (and anyone else) can't come close to the amount of phenomenal tracks/albums DJ Premier has produced. He's fully produced as many classic albums as many producers have individual tracks. That is insane. Pete Rock hasn't, though he has a tremendous catalog of some of hip-hop's greatest songs and even a few of the genre's greatest albums. It would be like me claiming Godfather Don was the greatest producer of all time because his style is my favorite and he fully produced a couple albums that are in my mind classics. I still couldn't vote him over Premo just due to numbers.

this pretty much sums it up perfectly

chillhood

Post by chillhood »

Mr Phillips is my fav of course
http://wardolphin.blogspot.com/
come here and press [>
http://lifeasashortyshouldntbesorough.blogspot.com/
http://last.fm/user/chillhood

experience scientifical m(ethod) a(llowing) d(emential) ne(cessities) s(poiling) s(ouls)

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

45ReC wrote:He's got over 25k joints from the 90's alone collecting dust.
I think your numbers must be out - this works out he must've made over 6 joints a day, every single day of the 1990's, ...and that's just the stuff he didn't release?

step one

Post by step one »

45ReC wrote:Pete & Nas are in the process of making an album as we speak.
That will never come out. Nas is making an album with Damien Marley at the moment for starters.

what really needs to happen is Primo to drop his own album. He was meant to have one come out through some deal with Fat Joe/Terror Squad years back but obviously its never materialised.
Given every other DJ/producer out has done it it seems wrong Premier hasnt.
He's been behind the boards for some dope singles in the last few years. If he could get songs/verses from Royce, NYGz, Poet, Freddie Foxx, and maybe a few suprises (Nas? Rakim?) it would be a dope set.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

I always thought that Pete Rock made softer beats, not real headbangers. I actually hate his famous and so beloved Public Enemy remix of "Shut Em Down".

While Primo has gotten boring, he still puts out smackin beats. Don't hate on S.O.S. by Blaq Poet y'all!

Verge

Post by Verge »

step one wrote:
45ReC wrote:Pete & Nas are in the process of making an album as we speak.
That will never come out. Nas is making an album with Damien Marley at the moment for starters.

what really needs to happen is Primo to drop his own album. He was meant to have one come out through some deal with Fat Joe/Terror Squad years back but obviously its never materialised.
Given every other DJ/producer out has done it it seems wrong Premier hasnt.
He's been behind the boards for some dope singles in the last few years. If he could get songs/verses from Royce, NYGz, Poet, Freddie Foxx, and maybe a few suprises (Nas? Rakim?) it would be a dope set.
I would worry that a lot of mediocre emcees would make the album.
That would be nice if he did this with all real good emcees, though.

pukaface

Post by pukaface »

Jaz wrote:I have been thinking about this and I actually think Pete Rock AND DJ Premier are the best producers, they are equal to me, but because this is a poll I chose DJ Premier because he rarely disappoints and has been very consistent.
He rarely disapoints is an overstatement. His production on the new Blaq Poet joint was highly disappointing to me.
Pete Rock has had his share of duds, no doubt, and I'd still take Primo over PR, but Primo has made his fair share of mistakes.

bmore21225

Primo

Post by bmore21225 »

Well you can see who I voted for here. Pete is always going to be second but that's not bad as they both are great legends in Hip Hop and still are able to make good stuff.

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

DJ Premier :D

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

premier - but only early production.....

nowdays is trash

pete had great production too but as a whole premier

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

surprised by this extreme outcome. voted Pete Rock. to me he and Rza are the most musically producers in NY. Pete's layering is unmatched and

all souled out
mecca and the soul brother
main ingredient
Deda
InI
Oul survivor
petestrumental

plus all the remixes was an incredible run

soul survivor 2 was also very very dope and underrated. his last album while dissappointing had some joints at least

plus his style is almost inimitable while he did a good job making a premo beat - tru master - and a few RZA-esque beats throughout his career