Pete Rock or DJ Premier?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Who is your favourite producer between these two legends?

DJ Premier
73%
Pete Rock
27%

Total votes: 131

Jaz
Ease Up

Pete Rock or DJ Premier?

Post by Jaz »

I'm not sure if this has been asked as a poll on here before, but I think it will make for an interesting post...the question is... who is your favourite producer between these two legends?

OR

Last edited by Jaz on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Since you host the Pete Rock forum I'm guessing you might be the only one who votes for him?

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Philaflava wrote:Since you host the Pete Rock forum I'm guessing you might be the only one who votes for him?
Nah, I am more of a DJ Premier fan Gloss, that forum is run by me and some other cats, there wasn't a forum about Pete so we made one.

illest

Post by illest »

WHY ISNT PREMIER CUTTING WITH HIS LEFT HAND

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Premier. Easy.

kennykenken

Post by kennykenken »

i guess i'll be the only one who votes for pete.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Premier.

It comes down to personal preference and even though I love Pete Rock's shit, sometimes he's not hard or gritty enough.

Premier can do a raw, dirty, stripped down punch-everyone-in-the-face beat and then switch it up and do a nice, laid-back cool-out track. On the same album. And both tracks sound like they belong back to back.

Versatility and brilliance in equal measures, wiggaz.

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

Pete Rock. His beats actually have things going on and aren't the same 2 bar sequence looped over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I'm obviously a big fan of Premier like anyone else, but his shit (especially after "Moment of Truth") is repetitive.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

^^^ You realize the guy is pretty damn old, right?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

RZA

sorry, somebody had to be that guy here
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

Money Gripp wrote:^^^ You realize the guy is pretty damn old, right?
I don't get what him being old has to do with anything. You think Pete Rock isn't old either? It's not like making beats requires tons of energy and stamina or something. He's not a drummer.

Something else I'll add to the convo, but again this is more of a post "Moment of Truth"/2000's criticism of Premier: he reuses the same drum sounds constantly. I think he used the Mary Jane Girls drums for like two years straight at one point. Every producer reuses drums but with Premier it was so many times I got tired of it. You can kind of tell what year some of his beats were made just by the drum sounds because he recycles them so much.

I will concede that Pete Rock used the same fucking hi-hat in every beat during the mid-90's, though. ha

admiral

Re: Pete Rock or DJ Premier?

Post by admiral »

Jaz wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked on here before
Not to be a dick, but really???

(Primo by a mile)

Jaz
Ease Up

Re: Pete Rock or DJ Premier?

Post by Jaz »

admiral wrote:
Jaz wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked on here before
Not to be a dick, but really???

(Primo by a mile)
as a poll I meant

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

1991-95 - pete rock

1995-09 - premier

thebridgeisover

Post by thebridgeisover »

If you went hot track by hot track, itd be realllll close... as is, primo has just amassed an endless collection of classic songs/beats.

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

Primo for me.

Yes, he has had streaks where he seemed to be using the same drums, but I kinda didn't really mind.

I'm a Pete Rock fanatic too, but Primo's tracks have just been more consistently and dependably dope for me.

boogs

Post by boogs »

the fact that premier used pretty much the same drum sounds in the 90s also resulted in a sort of signature style, imo. whenever you heard these drum sounds, you knew it was Premier. M-Boogie received a lot of hate back in the day for using the "Primo signature" hi hat. couldn't care less as long as the tracks are dope

jazztomovethatass

Post by jazztomovethatass »

premo should be in the guinness book of records for most bangers on wax.

DredScott

Post by DredScott »

the chocolate boy wonder takes this one imo...

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

This was hard. Primo has made some of my favorite beats, but Pete is more musical to me.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

primo

Stunna7516

Post by Stunna7516 »

primo, just waaaaay too many songs for pete to overcome. the goat.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

Stunna7516 wrote:primo, just waaaaay too many songs for pete to overcome. the goat.
this

the number of insanely dope tracks primo has been a part of would be unbelievable if it wasnt true...any top 100 hip-hop tracks should include at least 10 primo produced numbers...that 1/10 of the greatest songs ever

primo is the single best musician thats ever lived...hes done way more for his genre than anyone elese has done for theirs

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

both top 5 all time. this is close. went with premier.

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

pete rock....

sajr

Post by sajr »

DJ Premier is without a doubt the best hip hop producer ever. Pete Rock is in the top five and maybe even number two but theres a big difference between him and Premier.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I voted for Premier, but I love PR.. Some of his beats are just straight madness and his style is much harder to duplicate than Premier's..

Mecca and the Soul Brother, from the EP, is just out of control.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

clark bent wrote:
Stunna7516 wrote:primo, just waaaaay too many songs for pete to overcome. the goat.
this

the number of insanely dope tracks primo has been a part of would be unbelievable if it wasnt true...any top 100 hip-hop tracks should include at least 10 primo produced numbers...that 1/10 of the greatest songs ever

primo is the single best musician thats ever lived...hes done way more for his genre than anyone elese has done for theirs
i second that

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

one thing about premo, he's retained his signature style since day one... you can still tell a new premo beat within 5 secs of hearing a track, hands down.
If someone had handed me an instrumental version of 'NY's Finest' and told me to name the producer, I'm not sure I would have been able to put my cards on the table and say "yeah that's Pete Rock, for sure"...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

vaporized wrote:one thing about premo, he's retained his signature style since day one... you can still tell a new premo beat within 5 secs of hearing a track, hands down.
If someone had handed me an instrumental version of 'NY's Finest' and told me to name the producer, I'm not sure I would have been able to put my cards on the table and say "yeah that's Pete Rock, for sure"...
i'd say this only applies to primo circa the late 90's till now.
when he started using the same drums one almost every beat and chopping shit up more.
his earlier work was much more straight forward sample and break beat kinda shit.
both were dope though so i'm not complaining.