Paid In Full vs Follow The Leader

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Jaz
Ease Up

Paid In Full vs Follow The Leader

Post by Jaz »

Which album was doper to you?

or

gaccu01

Post by gaccu01 »

They are both excellent, but Paid in Full to me is one of the most monumental albums of all times.
"Come on Columbo I know you figured this shit out" (El-P)

docpacino

Post by docpacino »

thats a good ???

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Probably not the popular choice, but I prefer Follow The Leader.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Could be just me, but I always thought Paid in Full was the blueprint for a lot of albums to follow, not to mention stylistically. However, I also thought Follow the Leader was, at least lyrically, an upgrade to Paid in Full. Might be a minority opinion, but these are my thoughts, yo.

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

Follow The Leader! Beats and lyrics were on a higher level than PIF.

In my opinion this poll is kinda meaningless, to me it would've been more interesting to know if kids prefer Follow The Leader or Long Live The Kane.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Follow the Leader.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

I prefer Paid in Full for sure, but have no problem with others thinking Follow the Leader was the better record.

PTS

Post by PTS »

As a whole, I guess I prefer Paid in Full. But the first songs of Follow the Leader are arguably the best moment in Rakim's career...

kimani

Post by kimani »

I put on Follow The Leader way more, but that's just because the first three songs are unfuckwitable. Paid In Full is a better album though.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

it's been said before but the first three songs on "follow the leader" >>>> most albums ever made.

that alone gives it the edge. "paid in full" is an undeniable classic but "follow the leader"s high points are too ill.

boogs

Post by boogs »

couldn't have said it better, also hugely prefer Follow The Leader to Paid In Full. However that might also be because all the Paid In Full classics have been rinsed to death and I simply appreciate Follow The Leader more. Similar to the first Wu-Tang album. I rinsed that shit so hard back in the day I simply can't listen to it anymore. It's still dope and legendary though.
That being said, I honestly never rated the song "Paid In Full" very highly. Certainly not a popular opinion but that's how I see it.

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

kimani wrote:I put on Follow The Leader way more, but that's just because the first three songs are unfuckwitable. Paid In Full is a better album though.
Agreed.
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

FtL

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

Blockhead wrote:it's been said before but the first three songs on "follow the leader" >>>> most albums ever made.

that alone gives it the edge. "paid in full" is an undeniable classic but "follow the leader"s high points are too ill.

Deezal

Post by Deezal »

Its a difficult choice as albums they are both patchy. Too many crap instrumentals and psuedo Eric B cuts, but the great tracks are some of the greatest songs in rap history.

let the rhythm hit em is their most consistent album IMO

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

Deezal wrote:Its a difficult choice as albums they are both patchy. <b>Too many crap instrumentals and psuedo Eric B cuts,</b> but the great tracks are some of the greatest songs in rap history.

let the rhythm hit em is their most consistent album IMO

:naswtf: x :larry:

SOC4L

Post by SOC4L »

ima have to go with paid in full but see the other side tooo

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

the individual songs on paid in full are much better than those on follow the leader

but the album as a whole doesnt come close to the sum of its parts...mostly because of the the horrific instrumentals and the god awful outro to my melody...also the drums and vocals are over recorded on the album making it "noisy"

to this day tho i still cant get over how far ahead of his time rakim was on this album...its mind boggling when compared to all the other albums released around the same time and prior

as for follow the leader...its an emceeing seminar pure and simple...the beats are pretty much irrelevant...you cant really describe how good ra is on it....you just have to play it for someone

in the end i rate the albums as completely different but equally good....follow the leader gets more run from me because of the negatives i mentioned re: paid in full...but as i said the songs on paid in full are better

TIE