RZAS BEST PRODUCTION PERFORMANCE... LS OR OB4CL?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Dusty Fingers

RZAS BEST PRODUCTION PERFORMANCE... LS OR OB4CL?

Post by Dusty Fingers »

apologies if this has been posted before...

but i am in an argument with a buddy of mine who insists on telling me this... and i quote "Rza's best performance is Liquid Swords, anyone can tell you that."

i think this is a HUGE HUGE HUGELY incorrect statement as rza took production to a whole nother level with OB4CL...

so judging both as an instrumental album...

what is the general consensus here?
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

ob4cl
no dobut

but ls is close too

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Two completely different albums.

Two completely different styles of production.

I can't call it.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

chillhood

Post by chillhood »

LS is grimey hip hop production at its finest
OB4CL is cinematic hip hop production at its finest
why choose when you can have both ?
http://wardolphin.blogspot.com/
come here and press [>
http://lifeasashortyshouldntbesorough.blogspot.com/
http://last.fm/user/chillhood

experience scientifical m(ethod) a(llowing) d(emential) ne(cessities) s(poiling) s(ouls)

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

yep yep... appreciate it jaz as i respect your opinion more than most people who claim to know hip hop...

keep it coming... not even upset that he debated it because LS is a fucking classic...

i just think its funny that he tried to tell me that the majority thinks LS is the better produced album when i even recall rza himself saying ob4cl was his masterpiece...

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Dusty Fingers wrote:yep yep... appreciate it jaz as i respect your opinion more than most people who claim to know hip hop...

keep it coming... not even upset that he debated it because LS is a fucking classic...

i just think its funny that he tried to tell me that the majority thinks LS is the better produced album when i even recall rza himself saying ob4cl was his masterpiece...
thanks man, they are both classic and great albums, but OB4CL is more rawer and has doper beats in my opinion.

Wreck-It

Post by Wreck-It »

I prefer Liquid Swords, but that's just me, and I know my fucking hip hop.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

word word... i dont think its outlandish to prefer liquid swords...

i just think its outlandish to say the majority does... when i thought it was clearly established to be the other way around

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

wtf @ you thinking that a couple of people on a message board voting OB4CL = "majority"

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

RZA said that OB4CL was made with a summer vibe, while LS was completely for Winter. Its uncomparable in that sense.

Production wise though... I think LS is a tighter product. Once you press play, you can't stop. While Rae's album has a few lackluster points where I would happily pause to go to the bathroom and take a shit.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

OB4CL for me.
both are obviously insanely dope but the fact of the matter (to me, at least) is that i prefer gza to rae as an mc yet i still like OB4CL more. it's gotta be the beats.

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

cenzi wrote:RZA said that OB4CL was made with a summer vibe, while LS was completely for Winter. Its uncomparable in that sense.

Production wise though... I think LS is a tighter product. Once you press play, you can't stop. While Rae's album has a few lackluster points where I would happily pause to go to the bathroom and take a shit.
Summed up perfectly.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Sumthin_Funky wrote:wtf @ you thinking that a couple of people on a message board voting OB4CL = "majority"
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

only built 4 cuban link is rza's better production out of the two, but there both classics

harbourmc

Post by harbourmc »

I remember rza talking somewhere about the period where he was producing these two. I believe it was during that XXL look back at Cuban Linx.

Yeah dug it up. Check this out:

"I made most of the Cuban Linx beats first, eight of the tracks. I gave Rae & Ghost a tape of 10 beat, sent it to Florida. They had wanted to go to Barbados. But when they got to Barbados, the racism was so crazy. It was on some slave mentality. The Blacks was being treated like shit. They stopped back in Miami, and everything was recorded in my basement. No engineer, no assistant engineer. I did everything on that shit. The only two albums I did with nobody fucking with me was Linx and Liquid Swords. I was on a mission. To make all those early albums took three and a half years of my life. I didn't come outside, didn't have too many girl relations, didn't even enjoy the shit. I just stayed in the basement. Hours and hours and days and days. Turkey burgers and blunts. I didn't know if it was working. But nobody could hear or say nothing, no comments, no touching the board when I leave. Everything was just how I wanted it."

Hehe, I can picture this, actually! :wutang:

dalek

Post by dalek »

OB4CL is one of the best hip hop albums of all-time. Every beat is sick.

But, I think the best beat RZA produced is on LS:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wFSvUMxDWak&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wFSvUMxDWak&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kimani

Post by kimani »

I prefer the Winter, so Liquid Swords beats win for me, but OB4CL definitely has a little more complexity in its construction.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

kimani wrote:I prefer the Winter, so Liquid Swords beats win for me, but OB4CL definitely has a little more complexity in its construction.
agree

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

one of my favorite RZA beats EVER is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCaIFFNiwGE

and I prefer the production on Iron Man to the production on OBFCL and LS

I guess that's one of the reasons why RZA's is one of the illest producers to ever do it - his different styles appeal to different listeners

jvg

Post by jvg »

:wutang:

thomasv

Post by thomasv »

paul_smith wrote:one of my favorite RZA beats EVER is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCaIFFNiwGE
it's actually produced by 4th disciple.

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

Not fronting or anything, but is it really?In the credits it says written by R. Diggs and S. Bougare (iirc), who are Rza and 4th Disciple?A co-production maybe?

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

paul_smith wrote:Not fronting or anything, but is it really?In the credits it says written by R. Diggs and S. Bougare (iirc), who are Rza and 4th Disciple?A co-production maybe?
http://www.discogs.com/N-Tyce-Hush-Hush ... se/1040827

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

paul_smith wrote:and I prefer the production on Iron Man to the production on OBFCL and LS
co-sign. its my personal favorite of the first round of wu albums.

As for the question i think OBFCL, LS hasnt aged as well.

thomasv

Post by thomasv »

paul_smith wrote:Not fronting or anything, but is it really?In the credits it says written by R. Diggs and S. Bougare (iirc), who are Rza and 4th Disciple?A co-production maybe?
you might be right.. probably a rza co-production..

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

although I like these two... I just prefer the darker mind state that TICAL had. I personally think that one is my favourite produced album, but I can't lie. Liquid Swords is a hella lot better produced.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

haha at least we can all agree that rza is a monster.

only built for cuban linx is my favorite produced album of all time.

kimani

Post by kimani »

cenzi wrote:although I like these two... I just prefer the darker mind state that TICAL had. I personally think that one is my favourite produced album
I've seen Tical being hated on, or at least snubbed, quite a bit the last couple years. That shit still puts its voodoo on me every time I give it a spin, RZA was outta control with the vibes of that album.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

kimani wrote:
cenzi wrote:although I like these two... I just prefer the darker mind state that TICAL had. I personally think that one is my favourite produced album
I've seen Tical being hated on, or at least snubbed, quite a bit the last couple years. That shit still puts its voodoo on me every time I give it a spin, RZA was outta control with the vibes of that album.
no question, i personally feel 'only built' 'liquid swords' and 'wutang forever' and 'tical' are some of rza's best productions, masterpieces, tical is definetly slept on, production wise, that dark, bassy, gutta, basement shit you know, real talk