DJ Drez (Project Blowed) Appreciation (Update 2/9/2012)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Echo Leader

DJ Drez (Project Blowed) Appreciation (Update 2/9/2012)

Post by Echo Leader »

Just ordered four new Drez tapes and I'm fucking pumped. Should be here within a week and a half.

Anyone else in TROY listen to this cat? He DJs for Haiku D'Etat in collective form and as their respective parts (Acey, Myka, & Ab Rude) and he's fucking sick on the decks. Skills for DAYS. Genre-hops like a motherfucker and has a grip of ridiculously good hip hop, reggae, and downtempo mixes.

If ya'll have any Drez tapes you wanna upload, feel free to do so in this thread. I'll throw some up when I get home tonight.

Oslo, here's a TROY post I did on Drez Selectah (shameless plug!):

http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... s-1-3.html
Last edited by Echo Leader on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

dj drez is fucking tight. i have a few tapes from back in the day.

cool world.
cool fantastic.
rare soul.
new world order somethin or other.
several more im forgetting.

im a huge supporter and have been a fan for a long time.

he also worked on tha anonymous record (moonshine) featuring a young eminem, he worked on beneath the surface, djed and produced for medusa, etc...

JustDuWitt

Post by JustDuWitt »

lol he was on an episode of tim & eric

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

From first hear they are are fantastic mixes! thanks never heard of this guy

kotep

Post by kotep »

dope any more from drez?

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

djjeffresh wrote:dj drez is fucking tight. i have a few tapes from back in the day.

cool world.
cool fantastic.
rare soul.
new world order somethin or other.
several more im forgetting.

im a huge supporter and have been a fan for a long time.
:ohsh:

djjeffresh, would you be willing to up some of those tapes? I've never heard the "New World Order" tape, nor have I heard the first volume of "Cool World." As far as I know they're not even in print anymore.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Here's a quick link thanks to Jamo.

Sleepy Dust

A lot of TROY heads will really be feelin' this mix, it's all dope 1996 underground bangers. Organized Konfusion, 2Mex, etc. Really really fresh mix.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

A few more quick jacked links:

Couldn't embed this cover for some reason...
2AM Plum Mood (Volume III)

Windtalker

These jawns are more along the lines of downtempo, worldbeat, and chill-out shit. Not exactly TROY material but this is my DJ Drez thread and these are still dope as fuck so fuck it. They ain't for everyone and some will invariably question my heterosexuality for posting these but trust me, these will come in handy when hitting the couch with a broad (no CasOne).

Lyrical Gymnastics

Post by Lyrical Gymnastics »

Echo Leader wrote:Here's a quick link thanks to Jamo.

Sleepy Dust

A lot of TROY heads will really be feelin' this mix, it's all dope 1996 underground bangers. Organized Konfusion, 2Mex, etc. Really really fresh mix.
This is dope as fuck. Is there a tracklist?

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Lyrical Gymnastics wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:Here's a quick link thanks to Jamo.

Sleepy Dust

This is dope as fuck. Is there a tracklist?
There isn't one online, and I never bothered to type one out...tracklistings aren't often included on the cover of Drez mixes anyway.

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i had an album called jahta beat..something like that. it's a fucking bugged out record. it's magic mushrooms lost in a jungle in india music...i need to find that. up it if i do.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Jonny wrote:i had an album called jahta beat..something like that. it's a fucking bugged out record. it's magic mushrooms lost in a jungle in india music...i need to find that. up it if i do.
"Jahta Beat" is really dope and definitely expanded Drez' scope as an instrumentalist, considering he played EVERYTHING on that record himself. There's also a bonus track where Drez flips one of the themes from "Star Wars: A New Hope," it's absolutely retarded. I think it's the music that plays during the first scene with Jawas (yes, I am letting my nerd flag fly).

The sequel, "Jahta Beat 2: The Progression" is also extremely dope and "Jahta Beat 3: The Path To Light" is dropping in the second or third week of December. I'm fucking amped.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

Echo Leader wrote:There's also a bonus track where Drez flips one of the themes from "Star Wars: A New Hope," it's absolutely retarded. I think it's the music that plays during the first scene with Jawas (yes, I am letting my nerd flag fly).
thats on one of those old tapes i have as well. it's tight. ill see what i can do about ripping them.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

djjeffresh wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:There's also a bonus track where Drez flips one of the themes from "Star Wars: A New Hope," it's absolutely retarded. I think it's the music that plays during the first scene with Jawas (yes, I am letting my nerd flag fly).
thats on one of those old tapes i have as well. it's tight. ill see what i can do about ripping them.
:cheers: x :bow:

That would be awesome, thanks!

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Echo Leader wrote:
Jonny wrote:i had an album called jahta beat..something like that. it's a fucking bugged out record. it's magic mushrooms lost in a jungle in india music...i need to find that. up it if i do.
"Jahta Beat" is really dope and definitely expanded Drez' scope as an instrumentalist, considering he played EVERYTHING on that record himself. There's also a bonus track where Drez flips one of the themes from "Star Wars: A New Hope," it's absolutely retarded. I think it's the music that plays during the first scene with Jawas (yes, I am letting my nerd flag fly).

The sequel, "Jahta Beat 2: The Progression" is also extremely dope and "Jahta Beat 3: The Path To Light" is dropping in the second or third week of December. I'm fucking amped.
holyshit theres a part 2? and 3 is coming out? fuck yeah. drez is dope. a couple iffy projects..blame that on the rappers tho, his beats are out there.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Man, I've been slacking on this Drez thread and there's still a lot of stuff out there. Here's another boosted link:

Windtalker 2: Meditation Remixed

Once again, this isn't "TROY-material" but it's still Drez. Same steelo as the first Windtalker and the Plum Mood series.

I also got these four mixtapes in the mail a few weeks ago:

Downtown (Hip Hop Mix)
On The Radio: Cool Fantastic, Volume 2 (Classic Hip Hop Mix circa '98)
Rare Soul, Volume 4 (latest installment in the Rare Soul series)
Twilight Dub (fucking ridiculous dub reggae mix)

I should be getting another mix either today or tomorrow: Staple Prescription, which is another hip hop mix. I'll try to upload these in the next few weeks, if anyone is interested.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

always interested in some Dr. EZ.

where u get these tapes from, anyhow?

man i forgot he did that staple thing...and the cool fantastic stuff...takes me back.

keep up the good work Echo!

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

djjeffresh wrote:always interested in some Dr. EZ.

where u get these tapes from, anyhow?

man i forgot he did that staple thing...and the cool fantastic stuff...takes me back.

keep up the good work Echo!
All the Drez stuff I've got (in physical form, at least) comes from Access Hip Hop, an online mailorder site. Great service, stuff always gets to you with the quickness and they always hook you up with free shit.

Here's the Drez section, if you're interested:

DJ Drez @ Access Hip Hop

Most of his mixtapes are sold out, and have been for a while. The Jahta Beat jawns are still in stock, with a fresh one coming out next week. I'm pretty sure that the last time Drez released a Jahta Beat album, he pressed up a gang of mixtapes too because Access restocked a ton of them that week. If you're interested in any of the tapes (they're only 9.95 + s&h) I would check the "restocked items" section on the website and keep an eye out.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

By the way, DJJeffresh...still planning on ripping some of your personal Drez stash at some point? :gyeah:

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Here's another gem from Drez's catalog; not a mixtape this time.

The Capture Of Sound

This joint was released on Battle Axe Records in 2003, and highlights Drez' production skills. Some really dope tracks on this, tons of features from Project Blowed extended fam and a few Living Legends members. This didn't leave the changer for like 6 months after I bought it. I haven't listened to it in a while but I'll have to dust it off and revisit. Some serious bangers on this joint, worth downloading for the Aceyalone track itself.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

Echo Leader wrote:By the way, DJJeffresh...still planning on ripping some of your personal Drez stash at some point? :gyeah:
those tapes are at my folks house, so my goal is to rip them before the new year.

but i got several cds over here that i plan on uppin to the project blowed thread next week, so there's that.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

another hip hop jazz type mix

DJ Drez - Blue Hip Hop Jazz

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=151506NZ

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

i have been listening to the cool world chapter 2 everyday for hours the last week. These are all great, much appreciation

:cheers:

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

DJ Drez & Zaire Black Are Panoramic Utopia

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z5RU08H9

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

djjeffresh wrote:DJ Drez & Zaire Black Are Panoramic Utopia

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z5RU08H9
DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS.

Very very good record. Zaire Black is the perfect rapper to flow over Drez beats. Excellent cool-out record.

grandgroove

Post by grandgroove »

:larry:

I have a mix that I downloaded ages ago from Soulseek. The album metadata says "Rhettmatic, Mr. Len and DJ Drez - Hidden Jewels". I've seen info on it from a view sources, each listing it as having been released on Polygram in 1999. It's an even-odd-even-odd blend of golden era and more rather morose/gloomy funk/r&b tracks (e.g. Slipping into Darkness, Roy Ayres' Third Eye). There's a really awesome blendout of the Paul Revere instrumental leading into 'The World is a Ghetto'.

I only have a 128kbps CBR copy. Well, I *had*. My iPod's internal motherboard was cracked by mistake. I haven't bought an enclosure to dump the music off just yet.

Does anyone have a better copy than this or any other info about the mix?
ImageImage

WoofY

Post by WoofY »

RAZAH CUTZ & Echo Leader :bow:

grandgroove

Post by grandgroove »

@Woofy

are you saying those two have a good copy?
ImageImage