Mapping Out the Stretch & Bobbito Show (with Tape Rips)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

HecticEclectic

Re: Mapping Out the Stretch & Bobbito Show (with Tape Rips)

Post by HecticEclectic »

Rapswell wrote:I'll be there! Checkin out a Q&A session with them before the screening..lemme know if anyone's got questions for the crew
Couldn't get into the Q&A..too late with the RSVP. Only 200 heads for the Q&A. Good news is that the venue holds over 4000. Still getting there early. 90 degrees and sunny on Sunday!

Rapswell

Post by Rapswell »

Aha thanks man, I finally got it on Shazam when they play the beat for a while by itself right before Roc Raida goes on...I like the mood on that one, very ethereal

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Rapswell wrote:
IRISH_CRAIG wrote:
Rapswell wrote:I'll be there! Checkin out a Q&A session with them before the screening..lemme know if anyone's got questions for the crew
Will you be recording the Q&A? Audio or video ?
I can try to do a little bit of both, I'll bring a good camera if that's somethin y'all would wanna see...that's assuming they'll be cool with people taking footage
Brilliant mate. If not, if ya have an IPhone etc, just stick it on record, and pop it in ya top pocket.

Audio is grand for me, they aint much to look at these days, hehehe.

Rapswell

Post by Rapswell »

Got you ahaha

dirtywaters

Post by dirtywaters »

I pledged for the DVD package, hope they reach their goal. I should be out there Sunday as well. Did anyone pick up the 3/2/95 tape? Was wondering how long their tapes were..

sen

Post by sen »

I'll be there on Sunday for the whole thing. Can't wait.

afn33282

Post by afn33282 »

I was there. Got there late (work), so caught the last hour of the film. It's good, really good. That's all I'll say. Crowd was big - sitting room only. Real emotion in the crowd. Saw at least one vintage tshirt - guy said he'd had it for 20 years and hadn't worn it in almost as long.

Suckage video from after the film, sorry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBC5sNfbh7w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Sounds good CM.

Did anyone make it to the Q&A with a phone, any recordings ?

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Screenings in Oakland/ SF/ LA & Brooklyn?

Hopefully the London date is comin soon !

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

BTW. Where they sellin the Big L/ Jay-Z show t-shirts at the screening or was it just the black one ?

Rapswell

Post by Rapswell »

Here's the Q&A session, I got there a couple min late (they were prompt as shit!) but it starts right after my friend asked them about Kool Keith stories..audio quality isn't great either, since I was recording it on my phone, but there are some great moments here..I asked the last question about Kurious Jorge which had one of the best responses I think...the show/movie was incredible overall: Live performances in Central Park from a grab bag of 90s talent, DITC, Brand Nubian, Large Pro, Pete Rock, Monch, Smoothe Da Hustler, Kool Keith, the list goes on..just bonkers

https://soundcloud.com/rhyme-bandits/stretch-bobbito-q-a

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

TOP MAN !!! Listenin in right now. Can't thank you enough fella, this is really appreciated.

HecticEclectic

Post by HecticEclectic »

Very happy I made the effort to go and felt blessed to be there. The live performances and documentary were real dope.

Buckwild productions were definitely heavily featured at the show and for me the top moment was Mad Skillz & Stretch recreating this classic freestyle with Stretch dropping in the beats from the tracks that Mad Skillz referenced in his verse. If you were there you know what I mean.

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

HecticEclectic wrote:The top moment was Mad Skillz & Stretch recreating this classic freestyle with Stretch dropping in the beats from the tracks that Mad Skillz referenced in his verse. If you were there you know what I mean
WHOAH. Doin it live ? How many beats? Sounds ropeadope.

HecticEclectic

Post by HecticEclectic »

..And Nasty Vaz got the credit in the documentary for unearthing the uncut version of the Big L & Jay Z freestyle from 2-23-1995 but those who have been on this thread for a while know where it really came from.. :gyeah:

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Nice one. True heads know.

Did Philaflava or the blogs get a mention in terms of web interest shown from listeners [when no one else was talkin about them] ?

Their whole feckin existence is an 'inside joke' btw Loved how they were so casual and humble, as usual. Homeboys' question about people not appreciating S&B was great, its so true. But I wouldnt expect everyone to know their names, millions listen to Rap in 2015. We sometimes take it for granted just what they did, cos we were tuned in each week/ month/ whenever I was lucky enough to cop a tape....

Liked how the Q&A was in the open too, in C Park, wasnt expecting that. Knew the film would be outdoors but, anyway, nice vibe. Straight Hip-Hop

HecticEclectic

Post by HecticEclectic »

IRISH_CRAIG wrote:Nice one. True heads know.

Did Philaflava or the blogs get a mention in terms of web interest shown from listeners [when no one else was talkin about them] ?

Their whole feckin existence is an 'inside joke' btw Loved how they were so casual and humble, as usual. Homeboys' question about people not appreciating S&B was great, its so true. But I wouldnt expect everyone to know their names, millions listen to Rap in 2015. We sometimes take it for granted just what they did, cos we were tuned in each week/ month/ whenever I was lucky enough to cop a tape....

Liked how the Q&A was in the open too, in C Park, wasnt expecting that. Knew the film would be outdoors but, anyway, nice vibe. Straight Hip-Hop
No mention of Philaflava or Dirty Waters :sad:

HecticEclectic

Post by HecticEclectic »

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

They could have asked people like Jay-Z, Nas or Fat Joe for the 50 Grand.

I really thing that kickstarter shit is some bumstuff unless utilized for humanitarian projects. Especially with wrappers wanting to finance their trash albums in advance.

sen

Post by sen »

The whole day was ridiculous. I got to talk to DJ Eclipse, J-Zone, and Sucio Smash for a bit and the concert was insane. Surprise after surprise after surprise. The movie was great, too. It actually was crazy as to how much footage they had from the early days of the show.

It sucks that I was stuck in garbage ass traffic, though, to make the Q&A but props to Rapswell on the upload.

uniqueterror

Post by uniqueterror »

I'm so glad I made an effort to go yesterday. Couldn't get in for the Q&A (traffic was terrible from NJ) but the day was well worth it.

I remembered soooo many of the freestyles they had in the documentary. To me, the best part was seeing Ghetto Communicator! I also liked how they had Jay Z, Nas, OC, Pharoahe listen to their freestyles live to get their reactions. Oh yeah, and how Fat Joe thought he had every Pun verse until he heard the freestyle he kicked on the show. So many great memories.

I want to try my best to get to the "premiere" screening on September 24th to see it again. I think Bobbito said the screening will be announced in two weeks. I hope there's a Q&A for that as well.

r233

Post by r233 »

So is the sep 24th screening going to be in nyc too? Im confused.
What if 87 never happened?

uniqueterror

Post by uniqueterror »

r233 wrote:So is the sep 24th screening going to be in nyc too? Im confused.
It will be in NYC. I'm pretty sure Bobbito said it would be at AMC Empire 25 but I'll check with my boy. He announced it right before the screening last night, saying that the people in attendance were the firsts to find out because they're announcing it in two weeks. I think there's also going to be a week-long run in Brooklyn but I forget the theater.

Rapswell

Post by Rapswell »

Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
http://www.bam.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Brilliant vids HE. Puba was dope! Thanks so much. Lovin Sadats socks btw !

I saw a shard of the Mad Skillz/ Stretch jam on this clip. Did you manage to capture that as well ?

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Dont sweat it, found it. What a show !!

HecticEclectic

Post by HecticEclectic »

IRISH_CRAIG wrote:Dont sweat it, found it. What a show !!

Glad you found this! Heads that weren't there will appreciate it!

HecticEclectic

Post by HecticEclectic »

Here are some pics..

http://thehundreds.com/stretch-bobbito-20th-aniversary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

r233

Post by r233 »

uniqueterror wrote:
r233 wrote:So is the sep 24th screening going to be in nyc too? Im confused.
It will be in NYC. I'm pretty sure Bobbito said it would be at AMC Empire 25 but I'll check with my boy. He announced it right before the screening last night, saying that the people in attendance were the firsts to find out because they're announcing it in two weeks. I think there's also going to be a week-long run in Brooklyn but I forget the theater.
Will def be there. I'm in nyc now till end of september. If any pf heads wanna meet up at the premiere or before hit me up!
What if 87 never happened?

SonofSquires

Post by SonofSquires »

Anyone know the names of either of these instrumentals? They're from 2 different Stretch and Bob shows from '93 (I extended one of them so I could actually listen to it). The one labeled 6-10-93 was also on the Juggaknots' "Up At The Stretch Armstrong WKCR Radio Show". Any help would be appreciated. https://soundcloud.com/squiresbeats/stretch-and-bobbito-instrumental-6-10-93
https://soundcloud.com/squiresbeats/stretch-and-bobbito-instrumental-2-25-93