K Funk Presents:Hiss-Story mixed by DJ Nikoless[kev beacham]

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Verge

K Funk Presents:Hiss-Story mixed by DJ Nikoless[kev beacham]

Post by Verge »

Volume 1
01. Intro - Hiss Is For You
02. Madlib - My Style Is Different... ג€˜95
03. The Distortionists - Retaliation ג€˜96
04. Kemest - One For Dah Mental ג€˜95
05. Stedy Serv - Lyrical Graffiti ג€˜99
06. Interlude: (All Natural-50 Years) ג€˜96
07. Definite Vacation 4 Suckas - Perfection ג€˜97
08. Dirte & Ope-Ski (T.S.P) - Iג€™m Only 19 ג€˜99
09. PRZM & Illogic - Poisonous (How We Do) ??
10. Headshots - Look Into Our Wilderness ג€˜97
11. Kool Keith - You Know The Game ג€˜95*
12. The LOג€™s ft. Erick Sermon - New Haven Connect ג€˜95
13. Raw Elements - Blauw! ג€˜97
14. Of Mexican Descent - 242 ג€˜94
15. K Borne - The Qwest [JEL Remix] ג€˜97
16. Funkytown Pros - Fake Ass Hip Hoppas ג€˜95
17. Brain Leakage - Brain Leakage ג€˜92
18. S.P.O - Puttinג€™ Heads To Bed ג€˜92
19. Savage Intellect - Technique Of Fury ג€˜90
20. Interlude: Incredible Bongo Band - Apache ג€˜73
21. Masai Bey - The Untitled ג€˜93
22. Interlude: (Jurassic 5-Jurass Finish First Outro) ג€˜00
23. Interlude: HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
24. Interlude: (Giant Panda-Diggin In The Tapes) ג€˜05
25. Bonus Cut: Paten Locke - Auto Reverse ג€˜09

http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... l1-dj.html

Dope shit. Thanks to kev beacham and K Funk.
All demo mix.
:bow:
Last edited by Verge on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

foobar

Post by foobar »

Im gonna light the pipe to this one immediately!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

:cheers: thank you fellas, dope shit and K-Funk thanks for the shout out man, much appreciated.

Peace

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

This is very exciting. I was :ohsh: when I saw the Funkytown Pros demo and the 1995 Madlib track (Get Down And Go For Mine era). I haven't listened to it yet - gonna wait until the wife goes to sleep and then do like foobar.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

kimani

Post by kimani »

Hmm, is there anything in this world I like more than demos...? Nothing man made at least. Major properz to K-Funkadelic and tha gawd Kevin Beacham.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

K-Funk

Post by K-Funk »

i'm really happy that this shit is finally out. Kevin put a hard work on it since October and he did a great job imo.

based on your feedback we could do vol. 2 so any feedback good or bad is highly appreciated.

hope y'all enjoy this.

schenectadyfan

Post by schenectadyfan »

This is a dope idea, nice work guys!!

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

major fuckin props for this yo. !!!!!!!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

K-Funk

Post by K-Funk »

by the way, the full name of the mix is: [/b]Hiss-Story vol. 1 (Return of "Bad Quality Exclusive")[/b], haha.

keep the feedback comin' people, it's important for us.

peaaace!

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

My personal favorites after giving this mix a couple listens:

Madlib - My Style Is Different... ג€˜95
Funkytown Pros - Fake Ass Hip Hoppas ג€˜95
Masai Bey - The Untitled ג€˜93

I can't believe that Madlib started experimenting with the Quasimoto concept back in '95. The production is terrific, as you'd expect. I love that Big Daddy Kane vocal sample. Stones Throw is usually good about making unreleased gems available, so I wonder how this one slipped under the radar.

That Funkytown Pros track is obviously great - I'd kill for more of their post-Assassination material.

What's the story behind that '93 Masai Bey track? The discogs entries don't start until 1999.

Great overall job on this mix.

kevin beacham

Post by kevin beacham »

Yeah, that whole Madlib album is pretty great. Some of his best work as an mc to me. When I started working on this project I pulled that tape out again and decided to hit up Stones Throw to ask why they hadn't put it out. Basically Madlib is particular about some of the older stuff. PBW said he would approach him again about releasing it and asked me to not leak it on the net in the meantime. I already had this mix 1/2 done so this song was already there....

The Funkytown Pros situation is this. They were signed to Capitol in '95 along with that great Hip Hop line up: Kool Keith, Royal Fam, Funkytown Pros, Abstract Rude, Ninety 9, Micah 9, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. What could have been one of the great label line ups of the time.... However, they dropped their whole rap department before any albums dropped.

Around this time I was talking to Funkytown Pros (mostly the producer, Dev) on the reg thru a connection with Mannish because I was a huge fan of that debut album. We connected really well so Dev sent me a DAT of what they working on for the Capitol album and some other productions (K Borne, The Pros). About 7/8 tracks total. Right after that he called me to tell me he went to the studio he was recording at and they were just gone....everything and he didn't have any copies of the muisc and asked me to send the dat back when I got a chance. I procrastinated because I was having a hard time finding a place convert the dat for me. When I finally mailed it, a few weeks later it got sent back to me because Dev apparently moved and then I lost contact with him for the next 8 years or so...ha. I still have the DAT and it is apparently, according to him, the only copies of those songs in existence. I have been meaning to reach out to him to find a label to release them proper rather than leaking them all on the net.

As for the Masai Bey track. He's been around for a while. In the early 90s he was in the group Muddones with Cage (then Keige). One of my early ambitious journal stories was doing a write up on the whole Hoppoh Label/Hit U Off Management that was run by Pete Nice & Bobbito. I went to New York and interviewed Bob. PeteNice, I just met because their office was part of his house. Also, connected with J treads because he worked and/or interned there. Then I had to do phone interviews with the rest of the artist (Kurious, Artifacts, Doom, Muddbones, Juggaknots, etc...). At that time I had hooked a 4 track to my phone to record the phone messages because I also had started a Hip Hop hotline so I would tape interviews, freestyles, songs, and then use the 4 track to produce the messages and record to voicemail for callers so I had/have tapes of all those interviews. Of course the over the phone quality is pretty bad but I have several unreleased cage demos and rare freestyles thatway. The Muddbones was prob the longest interview, it went on for hours with taking to Keige and Masai about stuff and we stayed in touch and called each other on the reg. One day Masai called me to play some new stuff and some of his first demos. He was supposed to mail them to me but never did. I connected back talking to him a couple years ago and I was like man, I still have those songs you played for me on the phone. I told him which ones they were and he emailed them to me last year some time.

There you have it some inside info on the joints.... Glad you enjoy!

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

Nice, had plans of doing something similar myself - mix with demos and unreleased shit but never got the time to do it...

Will D/L later

BC
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

kevin beacham wrote:Yeah, that whole Madlib album is pretty great. Some of his best work as an mc to me.
Is "Get Down And Go For Mine" on that unreleased album? It might be my favorite Madlib track.

kevin beacham

Post by kevin beacham »

yes, that track is on there as well. It's Madlib "Walkman Flavor" album '95.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

holy crap that's rare

K-Funk

Post by K-Funk »

never knew Madlib got an album from '95. kevin, do you have it?

p.s.: i released the mix also in my country and the feedback is very good...i'm happy for this!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Roy Johnson wrote:
kevin beacham wrote:Yeah, that whole Madlib album is pretty great. Some of his best work as an mc to me.
Is "Get Down And Go For Mine" on that unreleased album? It might be my favorite Madlib track.
Were most of these tracks on that Madlib Unreleased bootleg?, including the dope "Contradicters" with Oh No?

Thanks for all the info KB.

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

hahahahhaha djcommunist, ur GIF wins!!! omg

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

props my man!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Put this up on my blog too, it deserves all the props it's getting.

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

jaz - props for brokin english klik

im the underground dwella :cheers:

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

This is comp is a major treasure! Dope work guys.
K-Funk wrote:never knew Madlib got an album from '95. kevin, do you have it?
Madlib has lots of albums/tapes from back then; solo and one's with each of his crew members (Lootpack, Wild Child, Declaime, Kazi, God's Gift, Oh No, etc.). He's been prolific like that for a long time. I've actually got a bunch of them.

I gotta dig some of them up for yall. It's probably my only chance of ever posting something that cats on here don't already have. :lol:

(I've no doubt taken much more than I've given.) :phila: :phila: :phila:

kimani

Post by kimani »

strategy, that would be super phenomenal.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

Verge

Post by Verge »

kimani wrote:strategy, that would be super phenomenal.
Yes.

ALso, strategy, we understand that it's tough to find the right kind of stuff to
share here, that we don't already know. But just leaving appreciative
comments or adding on any info or stories or anything, is a part being a
good TROY poster.
Or even making posts about stuff without having to share anything is fine.
Discussion type threads and such.
You've been a pretty good poster, man, no worries.
:cheers:

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

Verge wrote:
kimani wrote:strategy, that would be super phenomenal.
Yes.

ALso, strategy, we understand that it's tough to find the right kind of stuff to share here, that we don't already know. But just leaving appreciative
comments or adding on any info or stories or anything, is a part being a
good TROY poster.
Or even making posts about stuff without having to share anything is fine.
Discussion type threads and such.
You've been a pretty good poster, man, no worries.
:cheers:
Word up. Thanks for the encouragement Verge. I jump in when I can. The TROY blog changed my life once I finally came upon it. Seriously. :lol: Major props to you and the whole crew. :phila:

Big ups to K-Funk and Kevin Beacham for this incredible comp though. It seems like everytime I see the name Kevin Beacham pop up on here something monumental is going down. LOL

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. - always when i wanna download it it says that - all day yesterday even now , i refresh it but nothing.... strange thing is.. i download something else from megaupload before and it works fine... but with this same message all the time....

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

thanks sleep

Verge

Post by Verge »

The link works fine, now. Sometimes megaupload does that, I don't know why.
Thanks for the heads up, hellriser, and thanks for the alternate linkage, Jaz
and TBS.

philosophic

Post by philosophic »

Wow..