What song got you into Hip Hop

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

step one

What song got you into Hip Hop

Post by step one »

Just curious as to what everyone's 'day one' was? For me it was the Coldcut remix of Eric B & Rakim 'Paid In Full' that I heard Xmas 1987 (I was 9 years old!) on a compilation tape I got given with my first walkman. Think it was all the samples on the track that caught my attention as it was completely different from anythng else I'd heard before.
The tape also had LL 'I Need Love' and Beastie Boys 'Shes On It' but I remember not really feeling them too much at the time.

This should seperate the borks from the OGs :lol:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

aleph

Post by aleph »

Man, whatcha move that for? I was all set w/my Eric B & Rakim day one story when you so rudely created another thread :lol: :

In 87 I was shooting this student film in Queens (St. Albans) and the lead actor was a DJ who, upon hearing my name (Eric), kept saying, "Eric B. break the sticks" throughout the shoot. I finally asked him what he was talking about, and he put on I Know You Got Soul.

I said "Whoaaaa"

Then the I Ain't No Joke video and the Coldcut mix sealed the deal. "Im nin'alu...." became tatooed in my brain.

My Hip Hop day one is a different story.

step one

Post by step one »

sorry, I accidentally posted it in the Rakim thread when it shouldve been a new topic. hence the move. my bad!

Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Not the most amazing choice of song but it was California Love for me.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Breeze wrote:Not the most amazing choice of song but it was California Love for me.
I thought you were born into a culture of flyness? Weren't you well into your late 20s when that song dropped?

Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Thun wrote:
Breeze wrote:Not the most amazing choice of song but it was California Love for me.
I thought you were born into a culture of flyness? Weren't you well into your late 20s when that song dropped?
I'm confused. I was only 10 when that dropped.

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

I remember when I was playing some Sonic on Sega with my friend (I must've been like 8-9) and we were gonna change game or whatever and MTV got on and it was the video of DJ Kool - Let Me Clear My Throat with him going crazy dressed like a clown. I mean literally, he was dressed like one I remember.

I'll never forget that moment and I told my friend not to change channel and we begun trying to immitate DJ Kool in the video while it was on.

I had never in my life seen or heard anything like it and I guess you can say I was hooked from that moment.

Another great..let me say albums I got hooked with and I think helped me to get hooked to that rough & rugged type of rap music was Onyx - Bacdafucup.

Oh man, I've played that album a thousand times.

And one album which I don't think any of you Americans know much about was an album called "V
Last edited by aREAL on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

Public Enemy's "Miuzi Weighs A Ton". Actually, it was the whole "Yo Bum Rush The Show" tape that changed my life in 1987 and I've never looked back. I was so dope in 8th grade.

I think I'm going to put it on right now. (smiles)

kevin beacham

Post by kevin beacham »

pretty standard for a guy my age living outside of the New York area, I got into it from "Rappers Delight". My dad was in the Army so at the time in '79 we were living in Germany. My dad had to come to the US, Indiana, for some Army training and he sent that 12" back for my b-day.

It was powerful because I was a 10 year old missing his dad and was excited to get something from him. Plus it sounded so different. I distinctly remember thinking upon hearing it, "I need to find everything that sounds like this"...

I took my sharp double cassette deck on missions to find and dub tapes. At the time, there were always family coming to the Army bases I lived (Karlsrue then Stuttgart) from New York and all over the East Coast and they were bringing tapes from park jams, radio shows (Mr Magic and later Red Alert, Chuck Chillout, etc..).

The thing was they would lock those down because having the exclusive tape gave you status so they wouldn't let you dub. Plus they were older usually so they weren't trying to be bothered with some "lil kid". However, I had one of the best boom boxes around so I would flip it one of two ways;

1)I would just be like "my radio is louder, play it in here" or get to the house party early with my box to use for the party. They didn't think about my double cassette recording ability so I would jack em.

2)I'd go to the b-ball courts and while they were playing I would "borrow" the tapes laying around and snuck off to the side and high speed dub them then sneak them back...

I needed that hip hop...

step one

Post by step one »

dirt_dog wrote:Public Enemy's "Miuzi Weighs A Ton". Actually, it was the whole "Yo Bum Rush The Show" tape that changed my life in 1987 and I've never looked back. I was so dope in 8th grade.

I think I'm going to put it on right now. (smiles)
im hoping for more posts like this one or I'm going to start feeling old as fuck.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Thun wrote:
wrong breeze
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

my sister used to listen to PE, BDP, SLick Rick so I was hearing it, I went to the music store to get LIcsene to Ill. Bumped NWA, 2 LIve Crew..into the 90's I was fucking with Cube, EPMD, Special Ed, Gangstarr, Dj Quik, X-Clan, Edo G, KMD, Native Tongue, Too $hort...blah blah all day everyday but I didn't get crazy into Hip Hop until probably Pharcyde. That album was some next level shit. I connected the dots around then. bitches, drugs, writing, breaking, mc's it was all there.

92-94 hit and it was over.

edit - my bad i was thinking album.
Last edited by Jonny on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

hmm summer of 1980 on the brooklyn stoop of my boy lil joe
Joey had the ghetto blaster box and would play tapes his moms boyfriend used to dubb it was lots of sugar hill cold crush treachous 3

1st 12" i had was the roof is on fire
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

i was about 6 or 7, and i was watchin TV and saw the Fat Boys and Run DMC performing....can't remember what songs they were...but i just remember the music grabbin my attention like nuthin else. after that day, i would always try and search the channels to try and catch them again, but i never did. i then swore to myself that as soon as i had money of my own, the first thing i would do was go buy a rap tape.....and that's what i did years later (it was a compilation called Rap Traxx 3). since then, pretty much all of my money has gone to buying hip hop music....

Hip_Hop_Head_SF

Post by Hip_Hop_Head_SF »

"Beat Street Breakdown" by Melle Mel off the BEAT STREET MOVIE SOUNDTRACK.

Beat Street is what got me into Hiphop in '84 when I was 9 or 10 years old and "Beat Street Breakdown" was my favorite song off that Soundtrack. That was the first Hiphop/Rap tape I ever bought as well.

I got into Run-D.M.C. shortly after as well...
The Wicked Takeover on MHz
90.1fm KZSU Stanford College Radio
Every 1st & 3rd Sunday 10pm-12am PST
Listen Online @ http://kzsu.stanford.edu
-Spinnin' REAL Muthafuckin Hiphop on Two
1200's & a Rane Mixer with All Original Wax!

Next Show: Sunday June 13, 2010 (6 Hour 100 bpm & up Hiphop Special with my man DJ B-Side 9pm-3am)

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

1995, fifteen years to the day
im in the record store with choices to make
it was illmatic on the top shelf, chronic on the left homie
wanna cop both but only got a 20 on me
so fuck it i stole both, spent the 20 on a dub sac
ripped the package off illmatic & bumped that

actually my friend lent me his cd player with me against the world in it
was the whole album but especially 'so many tears' and 'fuck the world'
after that i got all tupacs albums real quick
thug life
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

this song changed my life.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tEM3dW2oWW4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tEM3dW2oWW4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

"Mama Said Knock You Out"

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

when I was about 9yrs I loved run dmc/aerosmith walk this way and beastie boys fight for your right. didn't even know it was hip-hop, except those two are more rap/rock anyway. then I was stunted by an unnecessary 'metal' phase from age 10-16. later when I went to college some guy in the room opposite me had labcabincalifornia and goats 2nd album, that's when I really got into it. the track 'pharcyde' by pharcyde was probably the one...

Deezal

Post by Deezal »

I was 14 in 1987. I grew up in England, the Beastie Boys were touring and the UK press hated them, being a teenager this sparked my interest and I bought Licensed to ill on tape while on holiday.

I read an interview with Beasties in the Hip Hop Connection and they cited Schoolly D as their favorite rapper, so I got the Saturday Night tape and loved it. About a month later the Def Jam sampler 'Kick It' dropped, I copped that and got introduced to LL and PE.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Either Parents Just Don't Understand or Stutter Rap.

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

(Showing my age like Kevin Beacham...)

My older sister had the 12" to Rapper's Delight in '79/'80. I was 6 and I made her play that over and over until I memorized it.

Then when Sucker MCs came out in '83, I was officially hooked, starting trying to B-Boy, and the record hoarding began.

Growing up in the Bay Area, the gateway to the sounds coming outta NYC was KPOO 89.5, specifically Marcus Clemmons on Sunday afternoons. I had to record that every week. He would sometimes play an entire album, if it was brand new or he got an advance, essentially giving you the cue for when to start recording.
Last edited by strategy786 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aleph

Post by aleph »

^^Only six in 79? Listen, young man...

A one-two punch: Run-DMCג€™s Rockbox, and then Hollis Crew. I didnג€™t hear Sucker MCs until I bought the album. All the homeboys in high school knew the lyrics and I couldnג€™t be out of step. Before then I dabbled (I liked Fearless 4's Problems of the World Today but didn't take it too seriously); I was a rock fan and it may have been a smooth transition with the John Bonham-sounding drums and rock guitars.

Thun

Post by Thun »

That Joe Budden mixtape where he raps from the perspective of six different ewoks. Flames.

kevin beacham

Post by kevin beacham »

strategy786 wrote:(Showing my age like Kevin Beacham...)

My older sister had the 12" to Rapper's Delight in '79/'80. I was 6 and I made her play that over and over until I memorized it.

Then when Sucker MCs came out in '83, I was officially hooked, starting trying to B-Boy, and the record hoarding began.

Growing up in the Bay Area, the gateway to the sounds coming outta NYC was KPOO 89.5, specifically Marcus Clemmons on Sunday afternoons. I had to record that every week. He would sometimes play an entire album, if it was brand new or he got an advance, essentially giving you the cue for when to start recording.
as Guru says, "I been around punk but I still feel young"... :gyeah:

STAM

Post by STAM »

aREAL wrote:I remember when I was playing some Sonic on Sega with my friend (I must've been like 8-9) and we were gonna change game or whatever and MTV got on and it was the video of DJ Kool - Let Me Clear My Throat with him going crazy dressed like a clown. I mean literally, he was dressed like one I remember.
eyou...... so where you saw anotha clown ?? :naswtf:

When was 1996 everybody in my territory listen rap music like Cypress Hill or Lord Of Brooklyn or House Of Pain or somethin like that........you know

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Sankofa wrote:Either Parents Just Don't Understand or Stutter Rap.
"something must be wrong with your vocal technique if your 12" mix goes on for a week"

big bar.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Quotashun wrote:"Mama Said Knock You Out"
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

vaporized2 wrote:
Sankofa wrote:Either Parents Just Don't Understand or Stutter Rap.
"something must be wrong with your vocal technique if your 12" mix goes on for a week"

big bar.
" I was gonna chuck a bottle I was gonna chuck a can...chuck a can..."

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I liked the odd track I came across in the 80s but when NWA dropped Straight Outta Compton that was it for me. I was about 11/12 and growing up in the UK that was the lp that got a lot of people my age into Hip Hop.

The slighter older kids were into Public Enemy already I think.

I know you said choose a song, so the title track probably when I first heard it but the lp as a whole really.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€