Godfather Don - Selections EP

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Verge

Godfather Don - Selections EP

Post by Verge »

Sooo, basically No Sleep is back and thats good. They're starting out with this EP of tracks from "90s Sessions" but with a bonus track.
I've always supported No Sleep, except for their vinyl releases cause they were too expensive to me. But they've dropped the price to $40 a piece, which is still a lot, but there's only 125 of these pressed.
Green vinyl, sticker covers. And they are already pressed and will ship next week.
And YES, the unreleased track is a BANGER! It's the second one on the snippets.
Here's the snippets:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/754639759033e3dc/

And here's DL's statement and payment/pre-order info:

GODFATHER DON ג€“ ג€œSELECTIONS EPג€ [NSREP-001] LIMITED RELEASE!!
[Sealed / Sticker cover / Green colored vinyl / 125 quantity mail order]

Peace vinyl collecting world! It has been a minute since our last vinyl release (Lord Finesse EP #3) and while it has seemed to have been quiet over here at No Sleep Recordings, we have indeed been busyג€¦So following an uneventful 2009, we have quite a bit of activity planned for the remainder of 2010ג€¦
First off is something that we have received quite a bit of demand for; the vinyl release of Godfather Donג€™s ג€œThe Nineties Sessionsג€. Now we limited the track listing to only those cuts that have never been on vinyl before and we even added an unreleased track for some extra flavor! The unreleased track ג€œFor Your Earג€ is a vintage Don banger that we only wish we had found when we were making the CD. Still, the timeliness of its discovery makes for a special treat for this vinyl release! Limited to 125 copies on the mail order, this EP will also be pressed with a color label/sticker and on green wax. This is bound to move quickly, so add this necessary piece to your GD collection ASAP.
We are making some changes where we can to improve on how we release these records. First, this is already pressed and all packages will ship in bulk on Monday or Tuesday of the week of May 3rd. So there is no extended wait time after processing your payment. Also, we will be trying to reduce prices on these types of releases as much as possible going forward. This greatly depends on the deals we make with the artists, but this particular EP will retail for only $40 plus S&H. Trying to make things more affordable as buying records is becoming a real luxury nowadaysג€¦
Thanks for your support as always and look for further updates throughout the upcoming months for the next plans.
God Bless,
James ג€œDLג€

Ordering information and snippets are posted below.

SIDE A
1. ג€œListen Closeג€
2. ג€œFor Your Earג€ [Previously Unreleased]
3. ג€œForever (My Lady)ג€
4. ג€œStep Up Frontג€ feat. Mega Rat
SIDE B
1. ג€œDo My Thingג€
2. ג€œMemoriesג€
3. ג€œAssuming Datג€
4. ג€œSadisticג€

SNIPPETS of all 8 tracks on the EP can be heard here:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/754639759033e3dc/

DETAILS & PAYMENT INFORMATION:

- I will start responding and sending out Paypal invoices at 8am, EST on April 28th, 1010. I will start from the back to the front so please be patient. If you e-mailed us earlier then that, I will invoice you in queue and allow you 24 hours to pay to keep your place.
- Orders are being taken immediately. Get your order in and reserve your copy.
- Limited to only 125 copies, this collector's EP will not be repressed.
-The EP comes on green wax, sealed in a black jacket with color sticker at top right corner.
- Price is 40.00 USD plus shipping & handling fees.
- These records are sold on a first come, first serve basis.
- We are accepting payments worldwide with PayPal in US currency.
- Records are in stock and will be shipping top of the week of May 3rd, 2010

To PRE-ORDER now, send an e-mail to: nosleeprecordings@gmail.com
In the subject please write: ORDER: NSREP-001 GODFATHER DON

Provide the following information in your e-mail:

1. Your PayPal e-mail
2. Your full name (first and last)
3. Your full shipping address, printed as it should read for the postal carrier in your region
4. Quantity
5. Shipping option (choose from below, either REGULAR or EXPRESS) *

Price per copy is $40.00

**IMPORTANT** If you live in FRANCE, it is mandatory that you pay EMS (express mail service) for insured shipping with tracking. I know it sucks but I had a lot of French postal issues with my last record.

REGULAR SHIPPING (no insurance/tracking)
For shipping without insurance or tracking provided, please add:

$7.00 - USA [USPS Priority Mail 2-3 days]
$8.00 - CANADA [Airmail Parcel Post 7-10 days]
$14.50 - UK & EUROPE [Airmail Parcel Post 7-10 days]
$17.00 - JAPAN & AUSTRALIA [Airmail Parcel Post 7-10 days]

Add $2.00 for each additional record if purchasing multiple copies.

EXPRESS SHIPPING (with insurance/tracking)
For shipping that includes insurance and tracking details, please add:

$20.00 - USA [USPS Express Mail next day]
$25.00 - CANADA [USPS Express Mail Int'l 3-5 days]
$32.00 - UK & EUROPE [USPS Express Mail Int'l 3-5 days]
$30.00 - JAPAN & AUSTRALIA [USPS Express Mail Int'l 3-5 days]

Add $3.00 for each additional record if purchasing multiple copies.

Please verify carefully that your shipping address is 100% correct to avoid any shipping errors.

After your e-mail is received, I will send you a PayPal invoice with the proper total. When your payment is complete, your copies will be reserved and in queue to be shipped the week of May 3rd, 2010.

In the event that we have sold out all 125 copies, you will receive an e-mail notification that all copies have been sold and you will not receive a PayPal invoice.

Any and all inquiries regarding this release and/or purchasing questions can be directed to me at: nosleeprecordings@gmail.com
Best Regards and thanks for supporting,
James ג€œDLג€
Last edited by Verge on Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyrical Gymnastics

Post by Lyrical Gymnastics »

so basically this is "The Nineties Sessions" + 1 unreleased track? huh

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, SOME 90s Sessions plus another track. I'll grab it to have "Forever My Lady" and the bonus track on vinyl. It would be great if it was the complete "90s Sessions" on vinyl, but I guess most of the other tracks have already hit the "limited" vinyl pieces.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

may 3rd? nice, no long wait
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Verge

Post by Verge »

^Yeah, thats a big bonus (nh) , really no wait at all. We'll have this bonus track here within a week or two. :gyeah:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

fuck yea

the zshare is giving me serious agita with the skipping and the pausing, but the 3 seconds of that song i managed to discern sounded on par with the rest of the 90sessions material

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Already have 90s Sessions, but this is still tempting. Can't wait to hear that track though..

Verge

Post by Verge »

drizzle wrote:fuck yea

the zshare is giving me serious agita with the skipping and the pausing, but the 3 seconds of that song i managed to discern sounded on par with the rest of the 90sessions material
I was having the same problem with the zshare snips. I'm downloading it now so I can throw it on divshare for you all, but its taking forever.
I'll edit it in this post when its done.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

thanks verge

Verge

Post by Verge »

No prob, drizzle. Shit, 13 minutes left on the download. It's a wav file so that must be why the zshare is worse than usual. I'll edit in here when it finishes.

EDIT: Okay, I downloaded the snippets and converted them to mp3 from wavs, so it should be easier to play:
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist? ... 198173-bf4" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist? ... 198173-bf4" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

that unreleased tune sounds crazy

illest

Post by illest »

a waste of time from james dl from no sleep
son has way more shit
but the unreleased shit is ill

WoofY

Post by WoofY »

:cheers:

Hip_Hop_Head_SF

Post by Hip_Hop_Head_SF »

Why do you guys need snippets when everyone should already have the 90s Sessions cd? The only snippet you need is of that bonus song.

I hope I can grab a copy since $47 with shipping isn't too bad. Why only 125 pressed though??? *shaking head*
The Wicked Takeover on MHz
90.1fm KZSU Stanford College Radio
Every 1st & 3rd Sunday 10pm-12am PST
Listen Online @ http://kzsu.stanford.edu
-Spinnin' REAL Muthafuckin Hiphop on Two
1200's & a Rane Mixer with All Original Wax!

Next Show: Sunday June 13, 2010 (6 Hour 100 bpm & up Hiphop Special with my man DJ B-Side 9pm-3am)

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Hip_Hop_Head_SF wrote:Why do you guys need snippets when everyone should already have the 90s Sessions cd? The only snippet you need is of that bonus song.
to prove they really are the tracks which appear on the disc, maybe?

I'm sure no one would be happy to spend that money expecting GF Don tracks then end up with summit else like, I dunno, 8 different versions of Daphne & Celeste 'U.G.L.Y.'

Verge

Post by Verge »

Snippets to prove the quality of the audio as well. Which is why I guess he used wav files.

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

forever my lady sounds fucking dope
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

Verge

Post by Verge »

DJMIKENICE wrote:forever my lady sounds fucking dope
One of my favorite "about a girl" songs ever. Here's the sample at about 3:33-
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNm2ZcY0iX4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNm2ZcY0iX4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
He also sampled this song for Status and many many other songs sampled this, a notable one being Buckwilds remix of Big L's MVP.
and Various Blend's Chill As I Flex (thx to LG for id'ing that one for me)

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

vaporized2 wrote:that unreleased tune sounds crazy

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

wtf?The only Don shit I've checked was Hazardous (besides the Ultramag productions which were top notch) and that didn't impress me at all, but these snippets sound ILL!I need to peep game

EDIT:Well I decided to go back and check Hazardous again...what was I thinking?shit is absolute crack!

Verge

Post by Verge »

Sold out in less than a day. Which is good cause maybe that'll inspire them to drop some more treats real soon. Like that Quarter To Midnight joint I haven't heard since 96. :gyeah:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

forever my lady might actually be my favorite GD beat

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:forever my lady might actually be my favorite GD beat
Yep. Has that deeply funky but real spaced out futuristic feel with compromising either aspect. Sounds very much like the direction Ultramagnetics should have went with and stayed with for a while.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Thun wrote:
Yep. Has that deeply funky but real spaced out futuristic feel with compromising either aspect.
there's a weird juxtaposition going on there where the piano in the forefront is really crisp and clean sounding but everything in the background has a washed out almost dubby feel. and then there's the little kinda whooooshhh reverb/echo thing that follows the drum... shit's crazy

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

I am always amazed while listening nineties sessions, i just can't pick my favorite track, once its sadistic, other time is memories and so on.

Verge

Post by Verge »

drizzle wrote:
Thun wrote:
Yep. Has that deeply funky but real spaced out futuristic feel with compromising either aspect.
there's a weird juxtaposition going on there where the piano in the forefront is really crisp and clean sounding but everything in the background has a washed out almost dubby feel. and then there's the little kinda whooooshhh reverb/echo thing that follows the drum... shit's crazy
Yes, and that first spacey whoosh sounding sample that isn't part of the keys sample is just great. I still don't think I've ever figured out what that one is.
It could be something slowed down alot.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

"Forever My Lady" is probably my all-time favorite Godfather Don track. Got that shit off a Time Travel show in the late 90s. :gyeah:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

bistro

Post by bistro »

paul_smith wrote:wtf?The only Don shit I've checked was Hazardous (besides the Ultramag productions which were top notch) and that didn't impress me at all, but these snippets sound ILL!I need to peep game

EDIT:Well I decided to go back and check Hazardous again...what was I thinking?shit is absolute crack!
i was the same way, then i picked up the 90's session. now i can't get enough of the guy, it just took me awhile to get into his style. now he is my favorite producer/emcee probaly ever, picked up all his stuff. personally he changed the way i look at hip hop, show's another branch of hip hop, just hear 7 degrees. i love that he can changed his flow and style to anything he makes from forever to fame, the guy flows like water, makes it look easy. sorry for trailing off, i just got mad respect for the dude, especially leaving the rap game on a high note and not returning to mess up his streak.

Verge

Post by Verge »

bistro wrote:just hear 7 degrees.
:cheers: I hate to sound like such a fanboy but this is one of my favorite tracks of all time. If I was to ever make a stupid Top whatever list, this would rank fairly high, amazing shit:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBpCo1Sa_JY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBpCo1Sa_JY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

I slept on Godfather Don for a long time. I bought 'The Nineties Sessions' off amazon(for $15 which is an excellent price for that album) like a year ago. I remember after I bumped it in the whip for the first time I was all daaamnnn. Dope fuckin album.