The Lamont "Big L" Coleman Thread (Now with L & Pun Rhyming)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

TheBigSleep

The Lamont "Big L" Coleman Thread (Now with L & Pun Rhyming)

Post by TheBigSleep »

For my thousandth post, I figured I'd make a second thread here in T.R.O.Y., at the end of Big L's birthday no less.

I've been talking about doing this for a while and this way I can contain and collect all the related material in one area.

I'll be adding and / or editing in more later, but for now I'd like to start with identifying samples from L's debut album: Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous.

This is a project I've been talkin' about for a little while and here's what I've amassed so far, starting with Lifestylez tracks (but I'm bad at spotting them myself so it's mostly based on what I've read, some of which may be incorrect, I'm working on verifying the ones I'm still unsure of right now). I'll try to get around to pointing out the actual sampling segment as well. Feel free to help add on or correct mistakes.

Controversial Not Commercial: 1st LP

http://www.multiupload.com/WWRVJAUVZI

Put It On:

Buster Williams ג€“ Vibrations

MVP:

DeBarge ג€“ Stay With Me
Big Daddy Kane ג€“ Just Rhyminג€™ With Biz

No Endz, No Skinz:

The Rubber Band ג€“ Rubber Jam

8 Iz Enuff:

ESG ג€“ UFO
Gary Byrd ג€“ Soul Travelinג€™ Pt. I (The G.B.E.)

All Black:

Weather Report ג€“ Cucumber Slumber

Danger Zone:

Malcolm X ג€“ Speech in Harlem

Da Graveyard:

Showbiz & A.G. ג€“ Represent

Fed Up Witג€™ the Bullshit:

The Isley Brothers ג€“ Between the Sheets
Big Daddy Kane ג€“ Ain't No Half Steppin'

Let ג€˜em Have It L:

Bob James ג€“ Nautilus

After I originally posted this list (and the link), BigLOnline forum member buhhhda mentioned that the title track, Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous, also samples Nautilus and Bob James' You're Right as Rain as well. Props to Verge, who also looked over the list.

Some people say the BDK sample from MVP is from On the Bugged Tip (or some say both On the Bugged Tip and Just Rhymin' With Biz) but listening to it, I think it's from Just Rhymin' With Biz. Feel free to correct me on that though.

Wikipedia says No Endz, No Skinz was sampled by Drum Session's track Four Aces but I can't find it to download anywhere so I requested it in a weekly T.R.O.Y. request thread (to no avail, at least not yet). I also read somewhere that Finesse sampled the "Sesame Street Intro Credits (1973)" for Street Struck, both of which could be total bullshit and I suspect at least the Sesame Street one is but personally I have no way of knowing for sure (both of these were found separately, alongside lists of actual samples from the album).

Also, I couldn't find any official name for the speech that Malcolm X gives in Harlem, so if anybody knows the name of that speech, I might have to research that more later.

If you have anything to ask, any L questions that can't be answered by me directly can probably be answered eventually by either Lord Finesse, Tommy "Jewlz" Gin, childhood friend and the director of Street Struck: The Big L Story or head of the Lamont Coleman estate and L's oldest brother, Donald "Don Ice" Phinazee.

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

MVP also has Showbiz & A.G. - Represent ("on the mic is Big L.")

Street Struck has James Brown - My Thang ("Yeah!")

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

I thought about that intro on MVP, good call on the James Brown man, thanks for adding on.

And while we're on the topic, here's a link about the pre-order to Sony's / Traffic's, remastered, 2xLP vinyl reissue of Lifestylez (that apparently is paired with a poster):

http://www.trafficent.com/releases/oneS ... stylez.pdf

Available on June 22nd, 2010. (Peace to BigLOnline forum member buhhhda for bringing this to my attention.)

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

TheBigSleep wrote:I thought about that intro on MVP, good call on the James Brown man, thanks for adding on.

And while we're on the topic, here's a link about the pre-order to Sony's / Traffic's, remastered, 2xLP vinyl reissue of Lifestylez (that apparently is paired with a poster):

http://www.trafficent.com/releases/oneS ... stylez.pdf

Available on June 22nd, 2010. (Peace to BigLOnline forum member buhhhda for bringing this to my attention.)
:ohsh: ILLLLLL and thanks a lot for this thread TBS :cheers:

RELM

Post by RELM »

Tim Westwood ג€“ Big L Tribute ג€“ 20-02-99

Max Glazer Big L Mix
Big L Interview & Freestyle on Westwood
Max Glazer Mix Continued

http://www.mediafire.com/?ajdt1fz4kjz

Verge

Post by Verge »

Will definitely give this a listen tonight. Thanks RELM!

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

Sleep you got this ?
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

Thanks for this, D/L now...

Anyone know when that Streetstrck DVD is due for release?

BC
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Thanks, man.

I think I have the Mats Nilesk

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

[quote="The Frankest"]Thanks, man.

I think I have the Mats Nilesk
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

hey Bad i spoke to Jewllz the director of the film on Sunday (im actualy in the film) should be out before the holidays
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

Thought you would know... sounds wicked. Can't wait!

Thanks

BC

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

RELM wrote:Tim Westwood ג€“ Big L Tribute ג€“ 20-02-99

Max Glazer Big L Mix
Big L Interview & Freestyle on Westwood
Max Glazer Mix Continued

http://www.mediafire.com/?ajdt1fz4kjz
Top work Relm, much appreciated fella

Here's an amazin BIG L interview/ article by Max Glazer I scanned ages ago and forgot about

It's from ON THE GO magazine back in the 95

Both pages full sized below [nh]

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... ny4dydgkuy

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... tgcnydw5zy

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

DJMIKENICE wrote:Sleep, you got this?
As a matter of fact, I have an upgrade for everybody who didn't grab this originally from my site (it's been up since it started, so more than a couple years now). The copy I have has some more talking that is cut off at both the beginning and ending of RELM's version and it's 256 CBR as opposed to 192:

http://www.badongo.com/file/10344512

or

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=95VKJK9K

However, I don't know if I ever knew the exact date before this, so props to RELM for that.
bad-cop wrote:Anyone know when that Street Struck DVD is due for release?
Jewlz is dedicated to getting the L doc out this year, it's now down to final editing and any last minute interviews they still need to snag last I heard.
DJMIKENICE wrote:Should be out before the holidays.
Well it sounds like you've talked to Tommy more recently than I have and that seems about when I would've guessed.
IRISH_CRAIG wrote:Here's an amazin' Big L interview / article by Max Glazer I scanned ages ago and forgot about. It's from On the Go Magazine back in the '95.
Yeah, thanks once again for that one man, the reception on BigLOnline was just as I suspected and I had been looking for it for years, it's definitely great to see again.

I've been in talks with DJ Cosmo Baker and DJ Max Glazer and though both were more than willing, neither could up a scan for me. But here's some of what they've had to say:

Right on man, good to hear from you. I definitely have the issue with the baby picture of L; there's definitely an article and interview on him in there...L was one of my favorite MCs of all time, ever since the first time I heard that dude on the Yes You May Remix..."chicks stick to my dick like magnets on refrigerators", [laughs], so ill! And yeah man, it's real important to document this shit, you know? Peace. ~ DJ Cosmo Baker

Thanks for getting in touch. I interviewed L a couple of times, but I wouldn't say that I really knew him. Really I am mostly a fan. I did interview the entire D.I.T.C. for an issue of On the Go [Magazine] that never came out. It was supposed to be published in an issue of Wax Poetics [Magazine], but I'm not sure what the status of that is. I'll have to check in with those guys and see what their plans are for publishing the interviewג€¦ ~ DJ Max Glazer

As On the Go was folding, there was one issue that never got to press, the only known interview with the entire core D.I.T.C. crew together at once. It was supposed to drop in July of '97, again Max Glazer was interviewing L and this issue talked about / had pictures of Big L and Fat Joe slap boxing in the streets. I asked him if he remembered that and he told me it wasn't out, as far as I've heard it hasn't yet made it over into an issue of Wax Poetics, I don't know what the hold up is but I still bug Max about it periodically.

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

TheBigSleep wrote:
IRISH_CRAIG wrote:Here's an amazin' Big L interview / article by Max Glazer I scanned ages ago and forgot about. It's from On the Go Magazine back in the '95.
Yeah, thanks once again for that one man, the reception on BigLOnline was just as I suspected and I had been looking for it for years, it's definitely great to see again.

No sweat. Shout out to the BigLOnline crew

Im gonna scan the whole bloody thing, might as well. You lot can have a full issue, someone I know will cream over the bombin in it and im sure stacks of others will too. Its a sick sick mag. There are Haze throw-ups in it. I only have 5 issues, better than nuttin i know but ... I wonder how many there were in total

Verge

Post by Verge »

:cheers: Irish Craig.

admiral

Post by admiral »

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.1 ... ig-l-album

[quote]On Friday, (July 9), the leader of the Digginג€™ In The Crates crew, Lord Finesse, spoke to HipHopDX for the siteג€™s soon-to-be-published piece ג€œThe Making of Big Lג€™s Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous.ג€ The definitive feature will commemorate this yearג€™s 15th anniversary of the albumג€™s release and coincide with this monthג€™s re-issuing by Traffic Entertainment of Lג€™s often overlooked classic debut from 1995 on double-vinyl.

In the deeply personal final moments of his interview with DX on Friday, Finesse passionately explained why there has yet to be a second posthumous Big L album to follow the gold certified The Big Picture. While last year during interviews with MTV and DJ Premierג€™s LiveFromHQ show on Sirius Finesse revealed the circumstances surrounding the delay, never before has Big Lג€™s big brother in the Rap game spoken with the detail and directness about the situation as Finesse did during his discussion with DX, (candor that Lג€™s mentor initially wanted off-the-record before allowing his statements to be presented to the public).

HipHopDX: Any archived Big L material still to be released? Thereג€™ve always been talks of some sort of posthumous album after The Big Picture, [so] is anything coming?

Lord Finesse: Never.

DX: Is it because youג€™re tapped out [of L material]ג€¦?

Lord Finesse: No, itג€™s a few pieces out there. Itג€™s just moreג€¦hmmmג€¦okay, off the record -

DX: Oh, off the record, alright [Laughs].

Lord Finesse: Okay, off the record, Big Lג€™s moms, [Gilda ג€œPinkyג€ Terry], raised him, his whole life. His father abandoned him. Since he was a kid, just straight never was in his life at all. No Christmas, no Thanksgivings, none of that. No birthday cards, none of that. When L passed and this dude, this fuckinג€™ faggot pops, found out how popular he was he now wanted to become a part of Big Lג€™s life, and fought to get royalties and stuff that was really due to his moms. Now [two years ago], Pinky passes, whoג€™s Big Lג€™s moms. So now, since heג€™s the father, even though heג€™s never been there, [for his] kidג€™s whole career, his whole life, by law, and by blood, heג€™s in charge [of Lג€™s estate] now. And I canג€™t see none of my blood, sweat and tears and efforts being put together for some dude to get credit that was ג€“ You ainג€™t even claim this kid as your son.

DX: Did he sue you for masters; did he try to get tapes from you?

Lord Finesse: [He] canג€™t sue nothing; you canג€™t look for something you donג€™t know about. It ainג€™t even like he knows about Big Lג€™s career. He donג€™t even know none of Big Lג€™s songs! How is he going around suing anything? What are you suing for; what are you looking for?!

DX: And, let me just ask, why canג€™t I put this on the record? Iג€™d really, really, really like to put this on the record. I mean, why donג€™t you want this on the record?

Lord Finesse: Nah, ג€˜cause itג€™s really nobodyג€™s business. Itג€™s just ג€“ I stated it a couple of times publicly [last year]. But, thatג€™s just it, man. Iג€™m really tired of talking about [what could have been], because it was a lineup where me and [DJ] Premier was gonna do it together. It was systematically put in place, everything. We was gonna go back to The Big Picture album, we was gonna remix some of those songs ג€“ the way that album shoulda sounded. ג€˜Cause we felt like The Big Picture album was all over the place ג€“ on certain collaborations, the sound, everything. So, between a mixture of unreleased songs, [and] some remixes, we was gonna really do this over ג€“ with Premier reaching out to Jay-Z, and I think [Big Daddy] Kane was on call, and I pulled a favor with Shady [Records] about Eminem. It was on tap to go down. It was on tap to go down like bigger than ever before. But, whoג€™s gonna do all this work for the proceeds to go to this nigga? That just really donג€™t make no sense. If anybody can ever explain to me howג€¦it can be done without this nigga getting anything, [then] itג€™ll happen.

DX: Let me just ask you again ג€“ I never do thisג€¦if someone tells me itג€™s off the record, itג€™s off the record, [but] Iג€™m just gonna start begging, please, please let me put this on the record. I mean, ג€˜cause I donג€™t think as many people know about this as you think they do.

Lord Finesse: Yeahג€¦I mean, you can put it on the record. I mean, Iג€™ve said it beforeג€¦ Itג€™s [just] a shame that we canג€™t do [that album], but Iג€™m not gonna be financially responsible for this nigga getting paid, man, Iג€™m just not. I spoke to him, because Big Lג€™s moms said the dude wanted to speak to me, and [so] we talked. And at the time he was paid off, as far as The Big Pictureג€¦ He got paid off not to get anything from Big Lג€™s future royalties, period. But once [Big Lג€™s mother] passed, itג€™s like that contract is dead now. [Since then heג€™s been like], ג€œYo, where these songs at? I wanna do a project. I love my son.ג€ And itג€™s hard to swallow that. Itג€™s hard to hear somebody that abandoned they ג€“ How the fuck do you abandon your son? ג€œIג€™m so proud of my son.ג€ Just to hear that statement made me wanna choke the shit out of him. Because if you was so proud why did you leave him? Thatג€™s never gonna really rub well with me. And itג€™s a shame, because I represent L to the day of my death, man. Until I canג€™t do Hip Hop no more I will represent this dude to the fullest, but not if it means getting somebody else rich. Not if it means putting money in somebody elseג€™s pocket. And it hurts, because you got fans out here that look at L as their hero, their unsung heroג€¦and we canג€™t really give him the necessary project he deserves.

Stay tuned to HipHopDX for ג€œThe Making of Big Lג€™s Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerousג€ feature, which will include never-before-published information and insight about Lג€™s classic debut. For instance, did you know Lג€™s debut was originally to be titled Murder Inc.? Or that The Notorious B.I.G. got the idea for his breakthrough remix to ג€œOne More Chanceג€ while touring with L? Or that then L prot

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

jesus fucking christ. the heartbreak continues.

fuck L's pops. i hope some magic happens. Lord Finesse is right too, Rawkus made 'The Big Picture' very disjointed and sprawling. It could have been executed better. Motherfuckin shame it won't be. (but I never want to give up hope.)

peace to Big Lamont Coleman. you were really one of my favorites of all time, and one of the best MCs that will EVER come from NYC.

sadly, rap is still outta control

serious love to Lord Finesse and Big L
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

good read, thanks for the post.

Bizz Bozak

Post by Bizz Bozak »

good read, looking forward to the making of piece

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

So what happens when his pops dies?

step one

Post by step one »

If they dont want L's father to get money from the project there has to be a way of getting round it. Put it out on some 'official bootleg' or a net only release under 'Lord Finesse presents...' or some shit.
Failing that make it an all proceeds go to charity thing.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

KITFUNK wrote:So what happens when his pops dies?
we get that album we need so badly?

honestly, i wish death upon no one really, but i wish KARMA on mad motherfuckers. FUCK this guy for touching a dollar when he wasn't around for none of L's childhood... ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING LAMONT WAS RAISED AT 139 AND LENOX IN HARLEM, WHICH ISN'T FUCKING DISNEYLAND, TO SAY THE LEAST.

NOW he feels entitled to money? FUCK THIS FUCK.

if my father tries to do this... :owens: :nut: these deadbeats need to get Shaquille O'Neal punches to the face. Biological didn't bother :copy:

I waited 8 years for Shyne to get outta jail. I'll wait for this guy to evaporate so we can get another Big L album.
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

they can't make that decision, essentially he has to be involved or removed if any money is going to be involved, that said if everyone who would stand to benefit from the album and deserves to, is gone not much harm in Bootlegging it, if the people that work on it agree to do it on the arm. other than that dudes pops is in control
NICE CAT!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Didn't read but how could there be? Even if they did that half ass Rawkus bullshit cut and paste job it's still not enough.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah, we've been talkin' about this article on BigLOnline for a little over a week now.

Here's what I know and have found out:

HipHopDX kinda jumped the gun with this story and ran it with what might turn out to be an untrue headline. Yes, Finesse said that but it's out of context and could all be a moot point if and when this legal stuff settles and I'll explain why.

Finesse been talkin' like this only to continue with the project for a while now. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/161348 ... ig_l.jhtml He's mad heated about this whole situation but this is just him talkin' because nothing is set in stone yet and that's the official word.

If you read the comments the day this was posted, L's oldest brother Donald "Don Ice" Phinazee, who is the head of Lamont "Big L" Coleman's estate (now that L's mom, Gilda "Pinky" Terry is deceased) says:

"Yo, I didn't know nothin' about this, get at me."

Then we talked to Don directly and he says he's still fighting it out in court and hasn't had to give up any money yet, so there's a chance that this all calms down and production resumes. There's been ongoing problems with L's father slowing down everything for a while now.
step one wrote:If they don't want L's father to get money from the project there has to be a way of getting 'round it. Put it out on some "official bootleg" or a net only release under "Lord Finesse presents..." or some shit. Failing that make it an all proceeds go to charity thing.
Yeah we were talking about that as well. I don't think Finesse wants to work for years on this, get little or no money himself and have what money that does go to the estate have to be split with L's deadbeat dad or as Don calls him, a sperm donor. He wants to get paid, pay L's family and not pay L's biological father and he hasn't figured out a way to do that yet. But he's open to suggestions and it's not all up to him and if this all cools out then none of this will matter anyway.
Bizz Bozak wrote:Good read, looking forward to the making of piece.
Yeah, I'm hoping for information I don't know about because most of what they're talkin' about so far I've been aware of for years.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

normally I'd just say "make it and leak the shit online" but Big L's family deserves EVERY FUCKING DOLLAR this priceless project is worth. This is Dilla level tragedy, without the same circle of heroes praising.

thank God there is still hope.

Flamboyant for life

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Finesse & Premo could make something incredible out of this project. The features and ideas so far looked great.

There has to be something that can resolve this problem. Anyway I'm gonna keep the faith.
Last edited by The Frankest on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

maybe its better like this.... eminem and big l - hell no.... better to leave it alone ....

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

hellriser wrote:maybe its better like this.... eminem and big l - hell no.... better to leave it alone ....
I agree. If it's old material being remixed. But if it's new material, I'd like to hear it, even tho it will be fucked up no matter what by Em (or whoever) but the new shit should still be released.