The Lamont "Big L" Coleman Thread (Now with L & Pun Rhyming)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

Philaflava wrote:Didn't read but how could there be? Even if they did that half ass Rawkus bullshit cut and paste job it's still not enough.
word, i kinda realized there would never be another big l album in like 2004 (Real Legends Never Die?)

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Philaflava wrote:Didn't read but how could there be? Even if they did that half ass Rawkus bullshit cut and paste job it's still not enough.
Well everybody pretty much admits that The Big Picture was rushed. Rawkus fucked things up, Rich King fucked things up, Gilda was unaware and thereby kinda fucked things up, there was all sorts of red tape that fucked things up. Herb McGruff, Jadakiss and Jay-Z were all supposed to be on that album.

Now different people are in charge / have more control, with regards to making the music and L's estate. It's not The Big Picture, though people are gonna inevitably keep making the same comparisons. This is material that they didn't even know existed at the time of The Big Picture. A bunch of different studios have held onto parts of it and L's brother Don has been going through collecting that back up, in addition to the reels that Pinky had found in L's closest a couple years back.
The Frankest wrote:Finesse & Primo could make something incredible out of this project. The features and ideas so far looked great. There has to be something that can resolve this problem. Anyway I'm gonna keep the faith.
I wouldn't give up hope, this is still potentially being worked out.
KITFUNK wrote:
hellriser wrote:Maybe it's better like this...Eminem and Big L? Hell no...better to leave it alone...
I agree. If it's old material being remixed. But if it's new material, I'd like to hear it, even though it will be fucked up no matter what by Em (or whoever) but the new shit should still be released.
As far as I'm aware Em wanted to be a part of this project and last I heard was only scheduled to remix a beat, not drop vocals. And that was years ago so who knows if he'd still even be around / down. But yeah, I know.

It's not old material being remixed. It's all new material from the '96 era, when he was recording for his second album but still with Columbia and just after Columbia, before he started Flamboyant Entertainment. L's brother Don told us he now has enough material for three more albums and that this first one would be all remixed and updated by 'nesse and Preem, with features by people like Big Daddy Kane, Herb McGruff and Jay-Z.
Dragondude R wrote:Word, I kinda realized there would never be another Big L album in like 2004 (Real Legends Never Die?).
Well that's the project we're talkin' about now and it hasn't been killed by legal battles just yet. Finesse started out calling it Real Legends Don't Die in about 2003, as an idea. By the next year it was tentatively titled Real Legends Never Die (when we interviewed him for Harlem's Finest) and by 2007, it was a full fledged project actually being worked on by both DJ Premier and Lord Finesse. Then L's mother, head of the estate, died in early 2008. That's when L's father tried to swoop in and it's been a double clusterfuck ever since. However, everybody involved still wants to figure out a way to do this project and they've been thinking (and saying) that there is / was gonna be another Big L album since before 2004. Recently Donald "Don Ice" Phinazee, L's oldest brother has been calling it The Return of the Devil's Son.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

TheBigSleep wrote: L's brother Don told us he now has enough material for three more albums
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

i will pray forever for this music to see the light of day, and when it does, i will pay as much as i can for an official copy

keep hope alive

peace to Big L
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ICantStandYous

Post by ICantStandYous »

Damn I cant stand it when I hear stories like this. Messed up

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

Fuck....

that's bullshit....

I was so excited a few years ago when news about those un-discovered reels came about....now we'll never get to hear that shit I guess...

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Well that's what's still being determined.

william g.

Post by william g. »

Damn FINESSE drop some new music already.

Dude has been lazy over the last 7-8 years.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

william g. wrote:Damn FINESSE drop some new music already.

Try 14.

william g.

Post by william g. »

KITFUNK wrote:

Try 14.

Yeah,as far as new music it's been that long but he has released a couple compilations in the 2,000's.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

found these on a disc of old stuff I did from about 2 yrs ago, ...may be interesting to someone out there

big l - 'games females play', augmented with a showbiz drum loop
http://www.zshare.net/audio/8086617033ef0882/

big l - 'put it on', blended with lord finesse interlude beat off the 'rare & unreleased' compilation
http://www.zshare.net/audio/80866323d13eae38/

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

feelin that Put It On blend vapo. good job on that

thewool

Post by thewool »

I'm feeling both of these remixes. That Finesse beat is butter.

Good work Vaporized and thanks for uploading.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

cheers guys, youre welcome...thought it might be worth throwing them up on here. tried to use divshare but the uploads kept cutting out for some reason, sorry about that

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

moar big l blendz plz

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Echo Leader wrote:moar big l blendz plz
well, here's on I posted about 6 months ago

'Flamboyant' over a London funk allstars beat
http://www.zshare.net/audio/80898160cd5ace08/

except for put it on, mvp, and flamboyant I've never seen any other big l acapellas about (except for some shit quality 'diy' ones)

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

should also check that Verge remix of Put It On, don't have it on me though

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

vaporized2 wrote:Except for Put It On, MVP and Flamboyant, I've never seen any other Big L a capellas about (except for some shit quality 'diy' ones).
Officially Released Big L A capellas:

Big L - Flamboyant
Big L - MVP
Big L - MVP (Summer Smooth Mix)
Big L - On the Mic
Children of the Corn - American Dream
D.I.T.C. - Thick (Rockwilder Remix)
Liz Lucci - We All Can't Ball ft. Big L & Richie Thumbs
N.O.T.S. Click - Work is Never Done ft. Big L

If you include the two partial a capellas at the end of the Archives bootleg (which I don't), that makes ten total.

For more, including a bunch of "do it yourself" ones, (ranging from really good quality, like the one for Put It On, to not as good, though the best quality available,) the fourth through sixth disc on here are all a capellas:

http://biglrarities.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... ellas.html

Peace to BigLOnline.

Verge

Post by Verge »

vaporized2 wrote:should also check that Verge remix of Put It On, don't have it on me though
Thanks vapo. Funny, just a few minutes ago I gotta email from youtube saying that it "might contain content licensed by Sony" and may be taken down.
<object width="300" height="25"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e69XqIGy-d4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e69XqIGy-d4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="300" height="25"></embed></object>

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

^ damn where can i get an mp3 of that?

all blends in thread are dope thus far

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

BigSleep thanks

Verge, havent heard that in yonks still sounds real good man. -no idea what youtube is doing re:blocking vids, seems to be all the time lately...

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, I have no idea. I know Sony is one of the major companies that usually takes videos down. Sometimes they'll just take the audio down and leave the video, which can be pretty enraging if you get duped into pressing play and hear nothing. Lol
DJCommunist wrote:^ damn where can i get an mp3 of that?

all blends in thread are dope thus far
Here you go, enjoy and thanks for checking!
http://www.divshare.com/download/6801416-7d0

Thun

Post by Thun »

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

BIG L BLENDED WITH FINESSE INTERLUDE BEAT

HOLY SHIT

PLEASE MAKE BLENDS USING THE INTERLUDE BEATS FROM THE AWAKENING (I DON"T REMEMBER BUT THERE HAVE TO BE INSTANCES IN WHICH MC LYTE OR WHOMEVER ISN'T TALKING OVER IT, RIGHT?)

OMG OMG

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Thun wrote:OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

BIG L BLENDED WITH FINESSE INTERLUDE BEAT

HOLY SHIT

PLEASE MAKE BLENDS USING THE INTERLUDE BEATS FROM THE AWAKENING (I DON"T REMEMBER BUT THERE HAVE TO BE INSTANCES IN WHICH MC LYTE OR WHOMEVER ISN'T TALKING OVER IT, RIGHT?)

OMG OMG
you, sir, are a Grade "A" cunt. I love you though.

strangely enough I have the instrumentals for The Awakening and have considered doing blends with those interludes, in fact MC Lyte's one is especially good, as it happens.

watch this space...or don't

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

You can never get enough of Big L, so mad props 4 the blends :cheers:

ICantStandYous

Post by ICantStandYous »

props for keeping Big L on top. Thanks.

RIP Big L

:cheers:

step one

Post by step one »

TheBigSleep wrote:
Officially Released Big L A capellas:

Big L - Flamboyant
Big L - MVP
Big L - MVP (Summer Smooth Mix)
Big L - On the Mic
Children of the Corn - American Dream
D.I.T.C. - Thick (Rockwilder Remix)
Liz Lucci - We All Can't Ball ft. Big L & Richie Thumbs
N.O.T.S. Click - Work is Never Done ft. Big L

If you include the two partial a capellas at the end of the Archives bootleg (which I don't), that makes ten total.
There an official acapella for 'Put It On' on the 12"
http://www.discogs.com/Big-L-Put-It-On/master/165271
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Good call, vaporized mentioned it so I forgot to copy it down (with Flamboyant and MVP). There are a couple fairly good quality bootlegs / DIY versions as well.

Legendary

Post by Legendary »

I seen this on hiphopdx:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.1 ... oming-soon

Is that the second Big L album finesse was talking about?

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

william g. wrote:
KITFUNK wrote:

Try 14.

Yeah,as far as new music it's been that long but he has released a couple compilations in the 2,000's.
Goddamn you're an idiot.

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:09 pm Post subject:
I seen this on hiphopdx:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.1 ... oming-soon

Is that the second Big L album finesse was talking about?
TheBigSleep, can you please confirm this?

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Sure, I'll break it down.

I believe this is a compilation that's being shopped around by L's brother Don. This isn't the new album produced by Premier and Finesse. Don is still in a legal battle with L's father over who has the rights to that.

They butchered the tracklisting, none of this is gonna be anything that hasn't been heard before and that release date is most likely gonna be bullshit. It's not going to be the last from Big L, it's going to be what drops before the album, before that's done being fought out in court.

Edit: This is official but won't contain any new material whatsoever.
Last edited by TheBigSleep on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.