Bootleg Wild Pitch CDs

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

KITFUNK

Bootleg Wild Pitch CDs

Post by KITFUNK »

I just found out recently that two of my Wild Pitch re-issues were actually bootlegs, not from Wild Pitch, however they both contain extra/bonus songs.

The two CDs I speak of are Funky Technician and Breaking Atoms (labeled as the "2nd ed.").

I paid a mere bag of shells for each tho, and like I said, it comes with extra songs, so I ain't too mad.

But I was wonderin' if ya'll had any experiences like this, cause I bought both of these from Sandbox...dunno if I wanna buy from there again. Again, this was a long time ago, but still, the skepticism stands unflinchingly. Anyone else have this problem with an online store?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Sandbox was the worst store I ever gave my money to period. I still hate those bastards. Shame about those bootlegs you got that they should have said what they were, but that's how they roll.
I wouldn't recommend anybody to buy from them, EVER. Their customer service is non existent. they truly do not give a fuck what you think.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Verge wrote:Sandbox was the worst store I ever gave my money to period. I still hate those bastards. Shame about those bootlegs you got that they should have said what they were, but that's how they roll.
I wouldn't recommend anybody to buy from them, EVER. Their customer service is non existent. they truly do not give a fuck what you think.
Yet another Sandbox horror story? Not surprising in the least.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Oh? So this is common and known in the community? Shit, I wish I got the memo beforehand.

What are some good stores to cop from? I get most my shit on Amazon, UGHH, FYE, Best Buy occasionally but they expensive as fuck, especially with Babygrande shit.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Sandbox used to stock a whole heap of bootleg vinyl - most of the 'classic' re-issue 12"s they stocked were actually UK pressed (on horrible heavy vinyl packaged in crappy colour-copied covers) bootlegs with really iffy sound quality.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

There has to be at least 50 threads on here about how terrible Sandbox is. I am happy to see Ed realizing he needs to slang vinyl again because nobody really buys CDs like that anymore.

Wild Pitch had reissues done when JCOR bought them out, Funky Tech was one of the reissues but they never reissued Breaking Atoms. Both Main Source albums got reissued 2 years back I believe and they looked like bootlegs.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I got a bootleg of Brainfreeze from there. I wasn't too mad when I found out cause it looked legit. I only discovered it was a boot when I was updating my collection at discogs.com.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Echo Leader wrote:
Verge wrote:Sandbox was the worst store I ever gave my money to period. I still hate those bastards. Shame about those bootlegs you got that they should have said what they were, but that's how they roll.
Yet another Sandbox horror story? Not surprising in the least.
I was buying from them through different friends' computers from around 2001 to 2004, I think. Every single time I ordered I waited at least 3 weeks and they were only about a half hour drive from where I lived.
I don't know why I kept ordering, I guess they would have certain things that I wouldn't see elsewhere.

One of the worst was when I pre-ordered the Large Pro First Class LP. They didn't ship until over a month after it hit shelves and didn't send me the autographed poster that was promised. I hounded them about it and they wanted an order number. I finally found it and they never answered my emails. Faggots.

BTW, welcome back, EL. :cheers:

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

For the last few years I've been buying most of my vinyl and CDs from www.hhv.de and I've always been satisfied with it. Plus, for each purchase you get some bonus coins to add stuff for free.

Beastly Swagger

Post by Beastly Swagger »

Word Sandbox is wack sauce.

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

Verge wrote: One of the worst was when I pre-ordered the Large Pro First Class LP. They didn't ship until over a month after it hit shelves and didn't send me the autographed poster that was promised.
didn't get that poster either, that was the offer that was also coupled with "The LP" CD and the Stay Chisel 12" right?

I also remember I ordered an official copy of DJ Quik Murda 1 Case from Sandbox, and received one of those white label bootlegs with the TKK cat. numbers..

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, that's right, it came with "The LP" CD. I guess that was a promo CD only, in no cover, just a cd sleeve. I can't front, I was happy with that CD at the time. That was the type of stuff they were good for. And they were also the only place who were selling Godfather Don's Status tp. They just sucked at customer service and at properly labeling what they were selling.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

KITFUNK wrote:Oh? So this is common and known in the community? Shit, I wish I got the memo beforehand.

What are some good stores to cop from? I get most my shit on Amazon, UGHH, FYE, Best Buy occasionally but they expensive as fuck, especially with Babygrande shit.
Where do you live?

If you're stateside, then I would say Access Hip Hop. Stuff gets to you real quick; I ordered something from them on Friday and it arrived on Monday (and I live on the other side of the country). Their online catalog is wild deep and they're constantly restocking. It's also pretty much the only mailorder site stateside that sells Afterlife/Project Blowed/Hip Hop KClan records.

I can't really say enough good things about Access. They always hook you up with free stuff and their customer service is top-notch. Best online underground hip hop mailorder site, bar none.

Access Hip Hop
Verge wrote:BTW, welcome back, EL. :cheers:
Whattup Mr. Tibbs. :cheers:

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

sandbox released these bullshit reissues along with some others around 2003. I think they did Mr. Hood also. The first prints were all blue-bottomed CD-Rs, when people bitched them out about it they turned into silver backed CDs. Still shitty quality, though.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Echo Leader wrote:
KITFUNK wrote:Oh? So this is common and known in the community? Shit, I wish I got the memo beforehand.

Where do you live?

If you're stateside, then I would say Access Hip Hop. Stuff gets to you real quick; I ordered something from them on Friday and it arrived on Monday (and I live on the other side of the country). Their online catalog is wild deep and they're constantly restocking. It's also pretty much the only mailorder site stateside that sells Afterlife/Project Blowed/Hip Hop KClan records.

I can't really say enough good things about Access. They always hook you up with free stuff and their customer service is top-notch. Best online underground hip hop mailorder site, bar none.

Access Hip Hop
I'm stateside.

And word, I just found out about Accesshiphop, I ordered from them last week. Got my shit extremely fast. I actually got a Blowed mixtape and Runaway Slave. Both for good prices.

Accesshiphop is easily one of my new favorites. :cheers:

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Speaking of bootlegs, anyone catch those Corner 2 Corner bootlegs popping up on eBay and whatnot lately? A discogs note says they are coming from Japan. No real surprise considering the value of the original, but people are not mentioning that it's a bootleg at all - I believe you can tell based on the label though. :buyer beware:

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

Echo Leader wrote:

Where do you live?

Access Hip Hop
I second this... Access is absolutely the shit. Two stories...

1. I was in SD on vacation and went to the actual store, got talking to the guys in there and they were cool... talked music for a while, then they looked up my account online, saw I ordered shit from them a lot and then gave me a discount.

2. Recently there was a tee listed on their site, but no picture of it. I emailed them and asked if they had a picture but they didn't, so a guy there took a picture of it with his phone and sent it to me. I didn't buy it, but I can't see too many stores doing that kinda thing.

The catalogue is dope, the shipping fees and speed is good...

Ho1ogramz

Post by Ho1ogramz »

diggy64 wrote:Speaking of bootlegs, anyone catch those Corner 2 Corner bootlegs popping up on eBay and whatnot lately? A discogs note says they are coming from Japan. No real surprise considering the value of the original, but people are not mentioning that it's a bootleg at all - I believe you can tell based on the label though. :buyer beware:
Japan have been booting a hell of a lot of shit. Very low quality, so if the labels don't give it away then the sound will.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

PopsUK wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:

Where do you live?

Access Hip Hop

1. I was in SD on vacation and went to the actual store, got talking to the guys in there and they were cool... talked music for a while, then they looked up my account online, saw I ordered shit from them a lot and then gave me a discount.

2. Recently there was a tee listed on their site, but no picture of it. I emailed them and asked if they had a picture but they didn't, so a guy there took a picture of it with his phone and sent it to me. I didn't buy it, but I can't see too many stores doing that kinda thing.

i went to access while i was on my honeymoon a couple years ago. dug through the whole store, the guy there was impressed, haha. but they definitely are one of the better stores to order from. i live in canada and their shipping and handling is basically just the shipping cost. other stores will add a couple bucks on there for that. i always get my order within a week or so.

scotth34

Post by scotth34 »

jredd109 wrote:
PopsUK wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:

Where do you live?

Access Hip Hop

i went to access while i was on my honeymoon a couple years ago. dug through the whole store, the guy there was impressed, haha. but they definitely are one of the better stores to order from. i live in canada and their shipping and handling is basically just the shipping cost. other stores will add a couple bucks on there for that. i always get my order within a week or so.
Agree with everything said about Access, I live 2 blocks from this place and go in there weekly. Cool dudes, glad everyone tends to agree.

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

Ho1ogramz wrote:Japan have been booting a hell of a lot of shit.
Not sure why, but this made me laugh. I have visions of the Japanese government hatching a plot to bootleg obscure golden-era hiphop records, as part of a masterplan to take over the world.

Ho1ogramz

Post by Ho1ogramz »

PopsUK wrote:
Ho1ogramz wrote:Japan have been booting a hell of a lot of shit.
Not sure why, but this made me laugh. I have visions of the Japanese government hatching a plot to bootleg obscure golden-era hiphop records, as part of a masterplan to take over the world.
A lot of random rap indies. Here are a couple I could think of that were done recently.

http://www.discogs.com/Alps-Cru-Loudmou ... se/2013803
http://www.discogs.com/Godfather-Don-Ha ... se/2044598
http://www.discogs.com/Ku-Whos-1st-Boot ... se/2195564
http://www.discogs.com/Kaotic-Style-A-D ... se/2195596
http://www.discogs.com/Corner-2-Corner- ... se/2337618
http://www.discogs.com/Keefy-Keef-Cause ... se/2337623
http://www.discogs.com/Tha-Lowa-Tha-Low ... se/2195495
http://www.discogs.com/Brass-Tacks-Star ... se/2191675

Ho1ogramz

Post by Ho1ogramz »

The Ku - Who's 1st / Bootleg This, I find particularly funny...
"The sweetest Revolutionary."