Who has the best voice in hip-hop? The worst?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

8ks

Post by 8ks »

cl smooth, black thought and akrobatik are pretty good, too.

speaking of bad voices, i have to mention vast aire. i can only stand him if the beat is mad dope.

Deejay Essemdee

Post by Deejay Essemdee »

This is a funny subject. There's a ton of cats who's voices that I like, but what always sticks out in my head are the voices that I really HATE and those are...

- Keak Da Sneak (local Bay Area rapper)
- Slug of Atmosphere (sounding nerdy & whiney is lame)
- Lil Wayne (I dont know if he counts since he's not Hiphop anyways)

Whenever I hear any of those 3 voices I cringe!!

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

i think i made a thread awhile back along the lines of this about good lyricists with annoying ass voices. As for the best voice? Always dug BDK, rakim, biggie, pretty much all the usual suspects. Dug lil cease's voice back in the junior mafia days. Too bad he can't spit.

Csatalja

Post by Csatalja »

A lotta people hate Extra Pro's voice, others say he sounds like a gay, but I think both his voice and flow is unique. I vote for him and Yusef Afloat, his voice is also so smooth.

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

The rapper with the best voice would probably be Mr Lif. Everything he touches is golden.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

soulja boys voice is the worst ever mush mouthed delivery on record. I heard his song called Anime.. and he sounds like an old drunk stereo typical shoe shiner or some shit. he has to be the worst ever.

good voices: Smooth B, YZ, Rakim, Guru, Billy Danze, Too Short, Methodman, Charlie Tuna, Mos Def

Bad voices: Master P is my least favorite rap voice ever.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

The best voice to me, or who I feel has the best expressive, authoritative speech and commanding leadership presence on the mic as an MC is Chuck D. The closest to him in that category is KRS One.

My favorite female voice to listen to is Shortie No Mas, Posdnous's cousin who was on Buhloone Mindstate. I've heard a few nice female voices in hip hop here and there over the years that I've liked, whether it was a beautiful radio show host or female MC on wax. Favorite radio show host voices are DJ Mecca from WHCR/88 Hip Hop/Kevin Keith & The Dirty Dozen fame and Angie Martinez. They had the type of voice that made me want to meet them.

Best voices of MCs that show the anger and aggressive side of the ghetto lifestyle are M.O.P. and Canibus. I put them over other dark groups like Onyx because they are better MCs and visual, talented writers in general. When you look back at the days of Radio and B.A.D., LL had this part of hip hop for awhile until he started to smooth his persona out.

I guess the best voice of all time has to be a combination of vocal tone, mic/stage presence, intelligence, leadership, lyrical talent, awareness and source of ghetto experience, which is why I put Chuck or KRS at the top of my list.

Worst Voice would probably be someone in the hip POP realm of today's fast food cycle of music, those who cater to whatever the popular industry trend is and sell their ass to rich corporate America people who don't give a fuck about the neighborhood or culture where hip hop originates from. Their music will be here today and gone tomorrow, without leaving any substantial source of inspiration towards becoming an adult and conquering the real life issues plagued by the culture. Most likely it's a Southern popular artist like Waka or Souljah Boy, even though there is a good amount of Southern hip hop of today I DO like and am inspired by they hurt the perception of that region.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

speaking of bad voices, i have to mention vast aire.
I was actually thinking of him for the best voice category.

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

Never ever forget Frukwan, Blaq Po', Pacewon (fa the voice mostly), Guilty, and my man Finale !!!!!! Plus so many others

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

^Blaq Po fo sho! He's another cat that brings the street aggression vocally like M.O.P., good choices.

You need to here this woman speak if you haven't, another hip hop host who's got a nice voice and looks to match, she's Jay Electronica's manager: http://yourdreamsfirst.files.wordpress. ... la-yee.jpg
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thun

Post by Thun »

fatboybrandon wrote:^Blaq Po fo sho! He's another cat that brings the street aggression vocally like M.O.P., good choices.

You need to here this woman speak if you haven't, another hip hop host who's got a nice voice and looks to match, she's Jay Electronica's manager: http://yourdreamsfirst.files.wordpress. ... la-yee.jpg
Angela Yee is extremely annoying, dumb as a brick, and not very attractive.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

fatboybrandon wrote:Image

The best voice to me, or who I feel has the best expressive, authoritative speech and commanding leadership presence on the mic as an MC is Chuck D. The closest to him in that category is KRS One.

My favorite female voice to listen to is Shortie No Mas, Posdnous's cousin who was on Buhloone Mindstate.
Chuck D. definitely--his voice has the authoritative edge of a political speaker which does wonders to boost the credibility of his "politically motivated" music. And frig YES on Shortie No Mas, I should have thought of her too. Girl has the perfect female MC voice. It's weird that I never knew she was Pos' cousin though, so that's cool.

Skies The Limit

Post by Skies The Limit »

-------->BEST : 2Pac, B- Legit, Big Syke, Rifleman a.k.a Ellay Khule, Otherwize, Richie Rich, Warren G, Snoop Dogg, Andre 3000, Micha 9<--------

-------->STUFF I CAN'T STAND : ja Rule, dmx, necro, south park mexican, lil wayne, drake, lil flip, mike jones, a gang of chicano rap, and many more that make me want to slap whoever I here bumpin' it.<--------

Skies The Limit

Post by Skies The Limit »

Thun wrote:
fatboybrandon wrote:^Blaq Po fo sho! He's another cat that brings the street aggression vocally like M.O.P., good choices.

Angela Yee is extremely annoying, dumb as a brick, and not very attractive.
I concur, maybe after a couple drinks I would listen to her bullshit just to get her in the sack then probably regret it the next morning....Good thing I don't drink.

DJ Ed Coughin

Post by DJ Ed Coughin »

Best: Kane, Biggie, Monch, Sean Price, Guilty, Puba, Dre, Busta
As Femcees : Missy, Bahamadia, Lauryn

Worst: It has to be Bizzie Bone, Andre 3000, Nelly and eminem

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

Q-Tip
Phife
Posdnous
Biz Markie
KRS
Snoop
Rakim
Ras Kass
Common
Guru
Xzibit
Chuck D
Chali2na
DMX
Busta Rhymes
Andre 3000
2Pac
Biggie
Prodigy
Scarface
Large Professor
Nas
Lord Finesse
Big L
Pharoahe Monch
Jeru
Method Man
Ghostface
Fatlip
SlimTr3
One Be Lo
Mos Def
Scientifik
Black Thought
Keith Murray
Lauryn Hill

Worst: Lil Wayne, Mase, Diddy (if he counts), Beastie Boys, Eminem but only sometimes

-SyLar-

Post by -SyLar- »

dnt think ive seen big pun names mentioned once

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

-SyLar- wrote:dnt think ive seen big pun names mentioned once
Thought about him, and Fat Joe. But while I don't think Pun's voice is bad, I wouldn't consider it great either. It actually got annoying sometimes because you could hear his fatness coming out in his voice when he would breathe in between lines and shit.

Loccsta

Post by Loccsta »

i always thought method man had the sickest soundin verses you know his steez
Last edited by Loccsta on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage<br>ImageImage

Loccsta

Post by Loccsta »

i always thought method man had the sickest soundin verses you know his steez

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

soulsurvivor wrote:best: krs one, jeru, guru (r.i.p.)
worst: canibus, eminem, the beasty boys

:naswtf:

best: kool keith rakim earl , tyler the creator, big l , q tip, big daddy kane..... ras kass, el-p beastie boys

worst: esoteric rza, big duke lil bossie and half of these new kids

jvg

Post by jvg »

Best: Method Man
Worst: Guru

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

jvg wrote:Worst: Guru

Loccsta

Post by Loccsta »

Moolah wrote:
jvg wrote:Worst: Guru
no way dood, he was an acquired taste maybe but some rappers like boosie i cant even bare hearin em

-SyLar-

Post by -SyLar- »

i think guru has one of those marmite voices

stroydnaire

Post by stroydnaire »

My favorite was Lord Have Mercy.....................worst. Magoo hands down!

del4sel

Post by del4sel »

Some personal favorites are Non-Phixion, Awol One, Bobby Digital. Worst = LMNO and Tonedeff they can never have a good song.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I'm locking this thread because many of the opinions therein exceed the maximum stupidity threshold allowed by existing PF law.