Semi-Obscure DJ Premier Productions Compilation

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

shakeanjake

Semi-Obscure DJ Premier Productions Compilation

Post by shakeanjake »

Just threw this together, let me know what you guys think.
Download links and youtube jumps at:
http://duffmancantbreathe.blogspot.com/ ... emier.html

DJ Premier is the total package, the Michael Jordan of East Coast production. Sure, Pete Rock's always had the best horns, RZA's got the dark and cinematic shit on lock and Prince Paul is the undisputed god of innovative sample layering.But as far as crafting a beat for the explicit purpose of providing a complimentary backdrop for an MC to showcase their talents over, Premier is second to none. There's a reason rappers save their best street verses for their Premier track, it's because everyone sounds their best over a Premier beat. If you rap, and you can't tear up a Premier beat, you need to get another hobby.
The main gripe people have about Premier is that his production formula is so rigid. This claim isn't inaccurate, if you drew up a structural outline of every Premier track, 95% of them would be borderline identical: A brief instrumental sample intro for live DJ's to cut up as they see fit, followed by a straightforward, punch-you-in-the-face drum kit under a sample that rises and falls in about the time it takes for a rapper to get a punchline across, with a deftly scratched chorus of perfectly on-beat vocal samples, usually relevant in content to the song's topic. This uniformity is in stark contrast to more avant-garde producers like Madlib and the late J Dilla who rarely tread the same musical terrain twice. Though more creatively experimental, Madlib and Dilla just don't have the quantity of cookie cutter, beat-and-rhyme-marriage street bangers that Premier's catalogue boasts. Premier's formula works, plain and simple. By never deviating from his initial strategy, Premier has maintained a consistency of quality that remains mostly unrivaled by his peers.

This compilation is simply a collection of Premier tracks that I found exceptional. I tried to omit the obvious stuff (Gang Starr albums and classics everyone already has: Come Clean, New York State of Mind, Unbelievable etc.) in favor of songs that don't get the shine they deserve. Enjoy.

Afu-Raג€”ג€”ג€”Lyrical Monster

All Cityג€”ג€”ג€” The Actual

AZ ג€”ג€”ג€” The Come Up (Produced by DJ Premier)

Bahamadiaג€”ג€”ג€” Rugged Ruff

Big Daddy Kaneג€”ג€”ג€” Just Rhymin' With Kane feat Just Ice

Big Lג€”ג€”ג€” 139 (feat Tony Touch)

Big Shugג€”ג€”ג€” On the Record

Biz Markieג€”ג€”ג€” And I Rock

Blaq Poetג€”ג€”ג€” we gonna ill

Boot Camp Clikג€”ג€”ג€” Take It Personal Freestyle (Sean Price, Steele, Buckshot)

Brand Nubianג€”ג€”ג€” The Return

Cee-loג€”ג€”ג€” Evening News

Cormegaג€”ג€”ג€” Make It Clear

D.I.T.C.ג€”ג€”ג€” Time to Get This Money

D'Angeloג€”ג€”ג€” Devil's Pie

D'Angelo ft. AZ ג€”ג€”ג€”You're My Lady (DJ Premier remix)

Devin The Dudeג€”ג€”ג€” Doobie Ashtray

Dilated Peoplesג€”ג€”ג€” Clock Work

Gang Starrג€”ג€”ג€” The Piece Maker

Ghostface Killahג€”ג€”ג€” Return Of Theodore Unit Ft Wigs and Trife Da God

House of Repzג€”ג€”ג€” U Gotta Love Us (Street)

J Rockג€”ג€”ג€” The Real One (Co-produced by DJ Premier & J Rock)

J Rockג€”ג€”ג€” Neighborhood Drug Dealer Remix

J-Liveג€”ג€”ג€” The Best Part

Just-Iceג€”ג€”ג€” History

Just-Iceג€”ג€”ג€” Gangstas Dont Cry

Keith Murray ג€”ג€”ג€”My Style Is Incredible

KRS-ONE ג€”ג€”ג€” Wannabemceez

Leaders Of The New Schoolג€”ג€”ג€” Freestyle with Kurious Jorge

Little Vicג€”ג€”ג€” The Exorcist

Ludacrisג€”ג€”ג€” MVP

M.O.P.ג€”ג€”ג€” Downtown Swinga 96

Mark Ronsonג€”ג€”ג€” Just (Feat. Blaq Poet) (DJ Premier Remix)

Nas ג€”ג€”ג€”Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park) (DJ Premier Demo Mix)

Nas ft 50 Cent & Gang Starrג€”ג€”ג€”Ridin Time

Non Phixionג€”ג€”ג€” Rock Stars

Pitch Blackג€”ג€”ג€” It's All Real

Pitch Blackג€”ג€”ג€” Rep Tha Hardest[Prod. By DJ Premier]

Ras Kassג€”ג€”ג€” Goldyn Chyld

Reef The Lost Cauzeג€”ג€”ג€” Livin Proof Freestyle

Reksג€”ג€”ג€” Say Goodnight

Royce Da 5'9" ג€”ג€”ג€” Hit Em!

Royce Da 5'9"ג€”ג€”ג€” Royce Is Like

Sean Priceג€”ג€”ג€” Megasean

Shyheimג€”ג€”ג€” On and On [Premier Remix]

Smooth Bג€”ג€”ג€” Game Over

Snoop Doggג€”ג€”ג€” The One And Only

The X-Ecutionersג€”ג€”ג€” Premier's X-Ecution

Xzibitג€”ג€”ג€” What A Mess

Zeebra ג€”ג€”ג€”Untouchable
-Edit: took Choclair off since it's not Premier.
Last edited by shakeanjake on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://duffmancantbreathe.blogspot.com
Funk, hip hop, soul, psychedelic, reggae and blues reviews and downloads.

step one

Post by step one »

:cheers:

couple of bits on there I dont have/didnt know about
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

not everything is produced by DJ Premier, i see a couple of mistakes. Don't know about the freestyles... i'm going to check it when i'm home. Dope anyway!

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

yeh choclair for instance

step one

Post by step one »

is this that joint from a few years ago over the Crooklyn Dodgers beat?

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

gimantalon wrote:not everything is produced by DJ Premier, i see a couple of mistakes. Don't know about the freestyles... i'm going to check it when i'm home. Dope anyway!
serch4beatz wrote:yeh choclair for instance
Good catch on the choclair, meant to take that off the playlist. The freestyles are all over premier beats. Are you sure there are other mistakes?

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

step one wrote:
yeah it is. Shame that that's the only time Ghost graced a primo beat.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Jake - I like your blog and whatnot, but after this post I'm going to ask that you put updates in the "Blog Updates" thread ... maybe I'll just make it a stickie if it becomes popular enough. Thanks in advance.

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

Thun wrote:Jake - I like your blog and whatnot, but after this post I'm going to ask that you put updates in the "Blog Updates" thread ... maybe I'll just make it a stickie if it becomes popular enough. Thanks in advance.
Will do.

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

D.I.T.C.ג€”ג€”ג€” Time to Get This Money PRODUCED BY AMED
Nas ft 50 Cent & Gang Starrג€”ג€”ג€”Ridin Time PRODUCED BY CLARK KENT

not being disrespectful, but you can clearly see you got them all from the free internet. you should have at least the ditc 12inch!! and whoever on the internet putted that bootleg out with saying gang starr did a joint with 50 cent need to be raped with a cactus, just out of principle. c'mon, guru would never rap with 50 cent :D.

but shakeanjake, i'm a nice guy, and it's cool you promote premo... word!!

ghostface with killah priest on premo beat :bow:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s200mbwANsw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s200mbwANsw?fs=1&hl=nl_NL&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(no, this freestyle is not produced by dj premier)
Last edited by gimantalon on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

nice didn't know about that biz track.
shakeanjake wrote:
step one wrote:
yeah it is. Shame that that's the only time Ghost graced a primo beat
check last post in the group home blends thread :gyeah:

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

gimantalon wrote:D.I.T.C.ג€”ג€”ג€” Time to Get This Money PRODUCED BY AMED

not being disrespectful, but you can clearly see you got them all from the free internet. you should have at least the ditc 12inch!! and whoever on the internet putted that bootleg out with saying gang starr did a joint with 50 cent need to be raped with a cactus, just out of principle. c'mon, guru would never rap with 50 cent :D.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s200mbwANsw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s200mbwANsw?fs=1&hl=nl_NL&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

well, this was both embarrassing and enlightening. Looks like it was one of those deals where he just hooked up the scratch chorus. Good lookin out. I think I'm gonna redo the upload, replacing the THREE *slaps head* mistakes with three other relatively unknown Preem tracks, there's so fucking many to choose from, after all.

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

you can check that site i made for no mistakes:

http://trackology.djpremierblog.com/

99% right :D

aleph

Post by aleph »

Not referring to your comp but this whole internet misinformation thing reminds me of the Napster era when Iג€™d download joints tagged like ג€œCompany Flow- 8 Steps To Perfection (DJ Premier mix)ג€ or ג€œJ-Live- Bragginג€™ Writes (DJ Premier mix)ג€ only to find out they werenג€™t nothin but cuts off the New York Reality Check 101 mix. Ignant mofos.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I don't think anyone needs to be shamed for making a mistake. Isn't this why forums like this exist?

Also if you're from fucking Belguim or wherever and you got into this music circa 1999 you might want to pump the brakes on lecturing ... Anyone about anything. If it doesn't apply to you then you shouldn't get offended.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

aleph wrote:Not referring to your comp but this whole internet misinformation thing reminds me of the Napster era when Iג€™d download joints tagged like ג€œCompany Flow- 8 Steps To Perfection (DJ Premier mix)ג€ or ג€œJ-Live- Bragginג€™ Writes (DJ Premier mix)ג€ only to find out they werenג€™t nothin but cuts off the New York Reality Check 101 mix. Ignant mofos.
It's not just the internets that gets these things messed up.

In 2004 Delicious Vinyl re-released Masta Ace's 'Born To Roll' 12" with a previously unreleased so-called DJ Premier remix, which DJ Premier apparently had nothing to do with. The mix up seems to have come from the word 'premeire' being mentioned at the beginning. It's said to actually be an LA Jay beat.

http://www.discogs.com/Masta-Ace-Incorp ... ase/514562

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

gimantalon wrote:D.I.T.C.ג€”ג€”ג€” Time to Get This Money PRODUCED BY AMED

why not? i mean well never know since he cant do it anymore

most of the underground heroes you adore don't see this as narrow as you.

Premo he has shown love to 50 on alot of his mixtapes and said he'd like to work with him. im sure if premo had done a remix for 50 and asked Guru to jump on that to make it an official gangstarr rmx (like he did with Macy Gray, that spice girl chick and others) Guru wouldn't have said no - before their split obviously

8ks

Post by 8ks »

Thun wrote:I don't think anyone needs to be shamed for making a mistake. Isn't this why forums like this exist?

Also if you're from fucking Belguim or wherever and you got into this music circa 1999 you might want to pump the brakes on lecturing ... Anyone about anything. If it doesn't apply to you then you shouldn't get offended.
coming from belgium doesn't have to mean you get in touch with this music roughly 20 years after evolved. just saying.

aleph

Post by aleph »

Mark 563 wrote:
aleph wrote:Not referring to your comp but this whole internet misinformation thing reminds me of the Napster era when Iג€™d download joints tagged like ג€œCompany Flow- 8 Steps To Perfection (DJ Premier mix)ג€ or ג€œJ-Live- Bragginג€™ Writes (DJ Premier mix)ג€ only to find out they werenג€™t nothin but cuts off the New York Reality Check 101 mix. Ignant mofos.
It's not just the internets that gets these things messed up.

In 2004 Delicious Vinyl re-released Masta Ace's 'Born To Roll' 12" with a previously unreleased so-called DJ Premier remix, which DJ Premier apparently had nothing to do with. The mix up seems to have come from the word 'premeire' being mentioned at the beginning. It's said to actually be an LA Jay beat.

http://www.discogs.com/Masta-Ace-Incorp ... ase/514562
That is laaaaame. If the labels can't get it straight it's no wonder these fictions perpetuate.

step one

Post by step one »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:

Premo he has shown love to 50 on alot of his mixtapes and said he'd like to work with him. im sure if premo had done a remix for 50 and asked Guru to jump on that to make it an official gangstarr rmx (like he did with Macy Gray, that spice girl chick and others) Guru wouldn't have said no - before their split obviously
This. 50s worked with Onyx, Jam Master Jay, Nas, Clark Kent, Hi Tek, Mobb Deep and MOP - you really think Primo & Guru wouldnt do a track with him?!

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

step one wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:

This. 50s worked with Onyx, Jam Master Jay, Nas, Clark Kent, Hi Tek, Mobb Deep and MOP - you really think Primo & Guru wouldnt do a track with him?!
Are people forgetting that Guru also worked for quite some time with 'Super Producer' Solar? Surely if he was prepared to work with him, he'd have had no doubts about working with 50?

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

step one wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:

I mean, Premier already gave 50 one of his beats, Shut Ur Bloodclot Mouth, it came out last year or the year before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkI9d64o4sQ

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

Mark 563 wrote:In 2004 Delicious Vinyl re-released Masta Ace's 'Born To Roll' 12" with a previously unreleased so-called DJ Premier remix, which DJ Premier apparently had nothing to do with. The mix up seems to have come from the word 'premeire' being mentioned at the beginning. It's said to actually be an LA Jay beat.
Very interesting example here, because there's something about this song that I've been wondering about FOR YEARS now.
During the intro, just before the beat drops, you can clearly hear someone shouting "DJ Premier!" in the background.
Add to this the fact that it clearly sounds like something we could have heard on "Daily operation" or "The sun rises in the east", the way the sample is flipped, the kicks & snares and the beat pattern... If you really think about it, it doesn't sound like any other track on the whole album.
And one last thing : The scratches on the chorus sound very similar to his style.

So, what if the credits were wrong and Preem produced, or co-produced that song? And if he has NOTHING to do with this particular song, why can his name be heard on the intro?

Shit, I wanna know.

step one

Post by step one »

Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Mark 563 wrote:In 2004 Delicious Vinyl re-released Masta Ace's 'Born To Roll' 12" with a previously unreleased so-called DJ Premier remix, which DJ Premier apparently had nothing to do with. The mix up seems to have come from the word 'premeire' being mentioned at the beginning. It's said to actually be an LA Jay beat.
Very interesting example here, because there's something about this song that I've been wondering about FOR YEARS now.
During the intro, just before the beat drops, you can clearly hear someone shouting "DJ Premier!" in the background.
Add to this the fact that it clearly sounds like something we could have heard on "Daily operation" or "The sun rises in the east", the way the sample is flipped, the kicks & snares and the beat pattern... If you really think about it, it doesn't sound like any other track on the whole album.
And one last thing : The scratches on the chorus sound very similar to his style.

So, what if the credits were wrong and Preem produced, or co-produced that song? And if he has NOTHING to do with this particular song, why can his name be heard on the intro?

Shit, I wanna know.
LA Jay just signed up to the forum (he posted in the Pharcyde thread), he could probably clear it up.

snitchel

Post by snitchel »

There is no dj premier remix, they just used the "Saturday Night Live (LA Jay remix)" on that vinyl

The scratches were done by premo on the album version (and also for the LA Jay remix since it's just the same acapella), that's why they say his name in the beginning... and the album version was produced by Uneek

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

Ok, it makes sense now.
The crazy thing is, Preemo was already famous in 93, so I don't understand why he wasn't credited in the liner notes. Maybe he can be seen in the video? I don't remember, it's been a while since I've seen it.

And IMHO Uneek really emulated his style with this particular beat, which lead to more confusion.

Thanks for the infos Snitchel.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Are you sure Premo produced Megasean?

Seems highly unlikely.

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

KITFUNK wrote:Are you sure Premo produced Megasean?

Seems highly unlikely.
The beat he rhymes over is a Gangstarr song, Blowin Up The Spot.

professorelemental

Post by professorelemental »

gimantalon wrote:you can check that site i made for no mistakes:

http://trackology.djpremierblog.com/

99% right :D
:bow:

You made that? just wanted to say thanks, I'm a completist of Premo ( who isnt) and that site helped me track down the last few joints i didnt have. Including the really really shit ones.

Now we all have our premier faves, but what's the worst track he ever did? For my money its either that Emma Bunton remix that r & b one i heard recently with Talib kweli, the name escapes me but it was fucking horrible. That said, man's got to get paid, so we can let him off the odd dodgy track....

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

shakeanjake wrote:
KITFUNK wrote:Are you sure Premo produced Megasean?

Seems highly unlikely.
The beat he rhymes over is a Gangstarr song, Blowin Up The Spot.
I knew that...