Mecca And The Soul Brother vs The Main Ingredient

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

'Mecca And The Soul Brother' vs 'The Main Ingredient'

Mecca And The Soul Brother (1992)
51%
The Main Ingredient (1994)
49%

Total votes: 83

step one

Mecca And The Soul Brother vs The Main Ingredient

Post by step one »

Im seeing Pete Rock & CL on Sunday for the first time so I've been revisiting the albums - whats peoples opinions/favourite/best tracks etc?

Obviously the debut has 'TROY' and a bunch of great singles but is 'Main Ingredient' slept on?

Feel free to debate the merits of 'All Souled Out' aswell and also upload any rareness you might have :gyeah:

Image Image Image
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

admiral

Post by admiral »

Main Ingredient by far

All Souled Out is my favorite though. It's all about The Creator.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca And The Soul Brother (1992)
1 Return Of The Mecca
2 For Pete's Sake
3 Ghettos Of The Mind
4 Lots Of Lovin
5 Act Like You Know
6 Straighten It Out
7 Soul Brother #1
8 Wig Out
9 Anger In The Nation
10 They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)
11 On And On
12 It's Like That
13 Can't Front On Me
14 The Basement
15 If It Ain't Rough, It Ain't Right
16 Skinz

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - The Main Ingredient (1994)
1 In The House
2 Carmel City
3 I Get Physical
4 Sun Won't Come Out
5 I Got A Love
6 Escape
7 The Main Ingredient
8 Worldwide
9 All The Places
10 Tell Me
11 Take You There
12 Searching
13 Check It Out
14 In The Flesh
15 It's On You
16 Get On The Mic

EDIT: I voted Mecca, for 1992 it was way ahead of its time.

Eyedea

Post by Eyedea »

I love both albums, but The Main Ingredient is way better...CL is more consistent on the mic and pete is just a damn winner

the only thing is...TMI doesn't have such a winner as MATSB, that is, T.R.O.Y.

step one

Post by step one »

voted Mecca. 'Straighten It Out'>>>>

Pete shouldve done more stuff with Grand Puba aswell.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

-SyLar-

Post by -SyLar- »

Good reminder thread! need to buy tickets. Main ingredient is my shit! i need to be there when they drop carmel city

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

admiral wrote:Main Ingredient by far

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

probably Mecca. rawer, more adventurous sampling creativity and CL better. Main Ingredient is a little too refined/commercial sometimes(Take You There, I Got A Love, All The Places etc...). however I probably like "In The House" and "It's On You" better than anything on Mecca...they're both essential albums

Thun

Post by Thun »

Main Ingredient, precisely because it is more commercial and refined sounding. They made the legit hip hop album with mass appeal that a group with crossover tendencies like say Nice N Smooth didn't have the talent or vision to pull off.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Don't get me wrong, though: "Straighten It Out," "For Pete's Sake," The Basement", and "Skinz" are incredible.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Don't get me wrong, though: "Straighten It Out," "For Pete's Sake," The Basement", and "Skinz" are incredible.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Mecca and the soul brother.
While the main ingredient is more refined, I prefer the beats on MATSB. Also, CL smooth got worse (which is a feat in itself) on the second album and Pete rock kills his verses on MATSB.
Pete's verse on "for pete's sake" >>>> 95% of Cl Smooths verses ever (even if it was written by Grand Puba)

Versive

Post by Versive »

What's your problem with CL? I think he's dope.

*Of course, I'm an easily impressed new jack as far as this board goes.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Prepare yourself to catch a verse from the big purse
Rotate the megahertz, where you heard it first
The perpendicular, said none similar
Quadruple any figure, quick on the trigger
Helter skelter, wig out by the goodfella
Not Lou Pinella cuz I'm black and mo' betta
Bust a phenomenon, we come to get busy
Deep in roots, but my name ain't Kizzie
Many many march cuz I'm heavy on the starch
Never tell a farce when I scale on a arch
Jammin' on the radio, brothers say, "way to go"
Shape it like Play-Do, soprano at the Chateau
My theory periodically flows a odyssey
Bigger than modern technology
So save all the chit-chat when I kick a format fat
It's like that...

well he's no Melachi the Nutcracker, that's for sure

Pete Rock and Young MC would've been a much better combo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Versive wrote:What's your problem with CL? I think he's dope.

*Of course, I'm an easily impressed new jack as far as this board goes.
I think he's a "mostly the voice" mc of the highest degree. He's had some moments, but the majority of his rapping is super corny to me. Whether it's his flow or what he actually is saying, I find myself getting douche chills when I listen to him nowadays. This has all been covered here inTROY for a while and it never goes over well but I'm holding strong to this opinion.
I had this realization about 8 years ago when I was bumping "The main ingredient" in my walkman (yes, my walkman). Since then, I've been on a crusade to spread my gospel that he is , in fact, very mediocre at rapping on every level.
Smooth B>>>>>Cl Cmooth

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Blockhead wrote: This has all been covered here inTROY for a while and it never goes over well
actually I remember you saying this about a year ago and most people agreed with you.

to me it's possibly the most absurd opinion ever. but fair enough.

If you were levelling the same criticizm at someone like Sadat X or Mic Geronimo I'd probably think, well I don't agree but maybe I can see where you're coming from...but CL? naw...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

vaporized2 wrote:Prepare yourself to catch a verse from the big purse
Rotate the megahertz, where you heard it first
The perpendicular, said none similar
Quadruple any figure, quick on the trigger
Helter skelter, wig out by the goodfella
Not Lou Pinella cuz I'm black and mo' betta
Bust a phenomenon, we come to get busy
Deep in roots, but my name ain't Kizzie
Many many march cuz I'm heavy on the starch
Never tell a farce when I scale on a arch
Jammin' on the radio, brothers say, "way to go"
Shape it like Play-Do, soprano at the Chateau
My theory periodically flows a odyssey
Bigger than modern technology
So save all the chit-chat when I kick a format fat
It's like that...

well he's no Melachi the Nutcracker, that's for sure

Pete Rock and Young MC would've been a much better combo
:rofl:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

vaporized2 wrote:]

:larry:
You can't think he's THAT good. Even his fans will tell you he's not elite or anything.
Think of it this way, would you bump a CL smooth album if it had non-pete rock beats? A better question is, would h exist without pete rock? Probably not. Again, he's got a cool voice, but that's about it.
IMO, Sadat x is infinitely better and more interesting than CL. Mic geronimo is also slightly better but equally boring.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The production MI was so good that it allowed me to overlook some of the cringe-worthy lines CL had. Exactly like the Group Home album, but there has been times where CL has actually came off dope. As for MATSB, well Pete Rock was the star on that album so it wasn't much of an issue.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I probably wouldn't keep a solo CL album in regular rotation, but he's got some very, very good joints without Pete Rock. I've been meaning to check American Me for a minute actually, just haven't gotten around to it.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOeL-BEgGFw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOeL-BEgGFw?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gsqE3LGSzfQ?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gsqE3LGSzfQ?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Even if you don't like the lyrics, his delivery is amongst the greats.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Blockhead wrote:Think of it this way, would you bump a CL smooth album if it had non-pete rock beats?
fair question. answer is yes. he did tracks in early mid-90s with Rough House Survivors, Greg Osby that I like, I rate his newer tracks produced by Jazzy Jeff, M-Phazes , DJ Hen Boogie etc. also...

If that's what you think about CL then like I said fair enough, doubt anyone's going to change your opinion.

as the saying goes "one man's meat is another man's poison". CL Smooth is definitely my meat. :pause: - horrible analogy...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^LOL

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

'Mecca & The Soul Brother' is a personal favourite of mine, and give or take 'Lots of Lovin', is near perfect.

I'm also a big fan of 'All Souled Out' - 'Go With The Flow' is bonkers.

'The Main Ingredient' is a great album also, still.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

vaporized2 wrote:
Blockhead wrote: This has all been covered here inTROY for a while and it never goes over well

If you were levelling the same criticizm at someone like Sadat X or Mic Geronimo I'd probably think, well I don't agree but maybe I can see where you're coming from...but CL? naw...

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Pete really lost his mind on TMI. The beats were out of this world. Thing is, the beats were already out of this world on MATSB. That's why Pete is one of the best. CL, while not even close to a great MC, is still a dope MC. He did his thing on both records, even if some of the lyrics were cringe worthy, which is an opinion I subscribe to without doubt. I just feel like TMI has a feeling to it that MATSB never quite reached. I can't put my finger on it per say. I remember when I heard MATSB, I was just blown away by the music. I didn't think that level of music could be reached by these guys twice but it went overboard on TMI, which is why I chose it for my vote.

This is still my favorite joint of theirs, though:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eWDA_-JBPDs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eWDA_-JBPDs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pete is the KING of layering samples.

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

I really think that I like The Main Ingredient more, can't really explain why.

I also wanted to say that I was only listening to west coast gangsta rap at one point and these two albums opened me up to everything east coast hip-hop oriented.I was simply amazed by the sound they had and at the time CL was THE most skilled MC to me lol

And to this day I still think he is really good

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

I could go either way on this one.. two amazing albums, but I'll take MATSB. The production is not as slick as TMI, but on MATSB Pete's arrangements are more animated and he shows greater range stylistically, which makes it more interesting as a whole album. As for the MCing CL Smooth has some pretty cheesy romance lyrics/songs on TMI which I just have to skip over, while MATSB only has Lots of Lovin in that regard. Also, Pete shines more lyrically on MATSB.

MATSB was more groundbreaking when it dropped, but I think we should leave that out of the equation when putting them side by side. Anyway, its certainly close, but MATSB for me.

Amongst the other tracks mentioned, I gotta put a plug in for "Its Like That" and "In the Flesh." Brilliant production on these!

BTW, I see CL as a very dope emcee. I think beyond just a dope voice he has skillfully written lyrics if you look closely at them. The problem for me is that he only has one very straight forward style. Its not monotone but its the same melodic pattern on almost every single line on every song. So naturally he just gets uninteresting after a while, especially over the course of a whole album.

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

pradadon wrote:
This is still my favorite joint of theirs, though:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eWDA_-JBPDs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eWDA_-JBPDs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Nice. That is another amazing one....

Bongloid

Post by Bongloid »

Gotta be "Mecca And The Soul Brother"

I remember going to see Gangstarr back in the day at the forum and the first artist on the night was Pete rock & CL ..totally unannounced ..they Rocked it

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I choose Mecca and The Soul Brother for the groundbreaking, influential concepts in songwriting it introduced through the combo of Pete's production and C.L.'s lyrics. I like MATSB more than TMI because it feels more like I'm experiencing a movie when playing the album from start to end, it has a very cohesive feel with deep subject matter about life, storytelling from song to song and more memorable, all-out displays of Hip Hop skill.

MATSB is a strong debut of a group who are out to prove themselves, one of many classic debuts in Hip Hop where the artist makes their introduction like an absolute beast. TMI is aggressive as well, but feels more reserved than the previous, the album sounds like the perspective of 2 people who made a classic and have expanded their music to be more reflective of life, finding a place of comfort in expressing themselves after achieving victory.

Whichever album you choose is up to you, there are many factors which determine a final choice. I love both albums and their EP, but to me Mecca is the true gem, it is the 1992 earthquake in Hip Hop that inspired many years of greatness, including it's follow up The Main Ingredient.

Here's a video of Pete, CL and Grap performing It's Not A Game live on BET's Teen Summit. I don't know what happened to the video quality after I uploaded this, I will upload another copy soon. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa2o8u ... -gam_music

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xQWnF4ZjLU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xQWnF4ZjLU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I love this song, great jazz fusion
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;