Nas-The Message-original version

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

shadowmaster

Nas-The Message-original version

Post by shadowmaster »

I read many years ago when It Was Written dropped that press versions had circulated with a version of The Message which had a sample from Scarface at the start of the track, but it was removed for the retail version.

Had no idea that it had been bootlegged or ripped. Thought I'd post it here for anyone who hasn't heard it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5g7vg8

Note-i didn't rip this, it was by a group, but I did rip the Mic Geronimo track I posted earlier in the week.

I would love to get the original version of Noreaga's I Love My Life which supposedly had a Nas verse on it, you can hear him talking at the start of the track I think but no rap.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Nav

Post by Nav »

Is the Scarface sample the only difference ? Beat seems very similar/same, lo-fi quality of the demo aside.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Yeah I think the intro is the only difference, beat and the lyrics are the same.

This is the version they supposedly wanted on the lp but I think the sample would have cost too much, or they may not have been able to clear it at all.

Has there ever been a Nas rare tracks thread on here? He has a lot of alternate versions/unreleased tracks/remixes.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

Thanks! And yes, I would love to hear that I Love My Life original, too

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

yup this came out before the album dropped. I have it on vinyl. I bought it whatever year that was and haven't really played it. It has this, the foulness, and I think some Fugees song or freestyle or something that didn't come out.

Thanks for the link though, sounds good. NIce rip.

thebridgeisover

Post by thebridgeisover »

Wasn't this the version released on the "I Am" cassette sampler/snippet tape that was posted here at some point in 2010?

I remember first hearing this version in streaming form on some long-forgotten hip hop site in 1999. Before hearing the sampler here, I always assumed it was a just a DJ blend. Would be interesting to confirm Nas/Sony couldnt clear the Scarface dialogue sample.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I had no idea it was posted on an I Am sampler, I completely missed that.

bbatson-I'd liked to have that vinyl. I think the other freestyle is the 96/Escobar season freestyle.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

It's not from I am. I don't know why it would be on there.

Shadow I'll try to rip the vinyl this week sometime.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Beat and lyrics are the same but the whole thing was re-recorded and is much more polished on the album. Faster too.

Nore's I Love My Life with Nas singing the hook is fuckin horrible. Thank God that was not on his album.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Doesn't Nas rhyme on the Nore track? Just singing wouldn't be too good lol.

Is there a version with him rhyming on the track? It was mentioned in the Ego Trip book that he had a verse removed.

BTW-do you have a link or something?

thebridgeisover

Shit. not "I am", I meant to write the "It Was Written" cassette sampler. 1996 is cloudy for me, being in the majors and all... :powers:
Last edited by thebridgeisover on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebridgeisover

shadowmaster wrote:Doesn't Nas rhyme on the Nore track? Just singing wouldn't be too good lol.

Is there a version with him rhyming on the track? It was mentioned in the Ego Trip book that he had a verse removed.

Nas was on Nore's "Body in the Trunk" and CNN's "Calm Down" (where's he's also badly singing the chrous).

Nore/Nas "Calm Down"
http://www.mediafire.com/?69i36b8qob000zr

edit: youre right, shadow. Just checked and the no scarface/cd version of the message is the one on the "It Was Written" sampler.

Nas "Silent Murder" (not on the cd release of "It Was Written")
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2225nn1dlwf8986/nas.mp3

http://www.steadybloggin.com/nas-it-was-rewritten/
Last edited by thebridgeisover on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Yeah I know about those tracks, question is, which version of 'Calm Down' came first, the E Moneybags version or the CNN/Trag one?

The version of the It Was Written promo tape I had didn't have the Scarface intro version of 'The Message'.

Also never found out for sure which of 'Norematti' and 'Alluminatti' came first. There's conflicting opinions.

edit-bbatson-Thanks man, that would be great.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

shadowmaster wrote:Doesn't Nas rhyme on the Nore track? Just singing wouldn't be too good lol.

I was looking for the I Love My Life with Nas but can't seem to locate the file. I honestly might have deleted it. Will look more after work. The one I had def did not have a Nas verse, just him singing the hook. Same hook as the one Carl Thomas sings, and it was beyond horrible.

step one

Post by step one »

shadowmaster wrote:Yeah I know about those tracks, question is, which version of 'Calm Down' came first, the E Moneybags version or the CNN/Trag one?
Love 'Calm Down'. didnt know about that E Money Bags version though - anyone holding?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I can't upload it right now, sorry, but it's on hqhiphop.net, look under E Moneybags.

edit-Thanks pradadon

GREEN LANTERN

Post by GREEN LANTERN »

step one wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:Yeah I know about those tracks, question is, which version of 'Calm Down' came first, the E Moneybags version or the CNN/Trag one?
Love 'Calm Down'. didnt know about that E Money Bags version though - anyone holding?
E-Moneybags ft. Nas, Noreaga - Thugs Calm Down
http://www.mediafire.com/?7wa8cq3891i8wm4