Remastering classic albums

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Brokewax

Remastering classic albums

Post by Brokewax »

I've read a lot of cats on here talking about how The Sun Rises in the East is muddy, the 2nd Digable Planets album is too quiet etc. etc. I honestly haven't heard too many joints that've been mastered again, but I think Ready To Die sounded really shitty when they re-released it. Any other records you guys think deserve a good remastering? Heard any that've been totally ruined?

What's the consensus on the :phila: ?

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

They never remastered 36 Chambers did they? I fucking hope not.

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

Nah man, I don't believe they did...they mixed it down on 4 track cassettes, making it "Hi-fi" would ruin much of what's great about it.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

DJ HONDA II has got way too much bass and treble and not enough 'middle'. IMO. also the track "when you hot you hot" is faulty, if you listen to it carefully there's a weird glitch all the way through it, that becomes more evident if you listen on headphones.and its on the recording as opposed to a CD problem.

apart from that I cant think of any others.

step one

Post by step one »

Brokewax wrote:Nah man, I don't believe they did...they mixed it down on 4 track cassettes, making it "Hi-fi" would ruin much of what's great about it.
Im pretty sure RZA said something to this effect.

I never really had any issues with the Jeru album though. I think alot of the people that want things remastered are people that rock stuff on Ipods nowadays, so maybe some things that sounded fine on tape/vinyl dont translate to digital too well.

I'd say alot of stuff on Relativity needs re-doing though - all that early Beatnuts, Common, Fat Joe etc could sound alot better.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

PatBC

Post by PatBC »

For some reason, D.I.T.C. album always sounded badly mixed

Too much treble

Wouldn't mind hearing it remastered 10 years later

damms

Post by damms »

the funcrusher plus reissue from 2009 wasn't really necessary
Hold on let me see if I give a damn:

Thun

Post by Thun »

step one wrote:
I'd say alot of stuff on Relativity needs re-doing though - all that early Beatnuts, Common, Fat Joe etc could sound alot better.
I feel like it's more a matter of volume than quality for these.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

ive yet to hear a remaster that sounded appreciably better than the original album....seems like they just slap that on there to move it...to me the remasters have really been special edition releases that include extra songs and remixes that werent on the og album but dont sound a lot better

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

clark bent wrote:ive yet to hear a remaster that sounded appreciably better than the original album....seems like they just slap that on there to move it...to me the remasters have really been special edition releases that include extra songs and remixes that werent on the og album but dont sound a lot better
You apparently missed out on many of the great Traffic reissues a few years back. They did a great job at remastering and including many of those "extra" songs you're looking for for many of the Cold Chilln' releases.

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

never got a chance to peep those traffic reissues, they seemed to go out of print as quickly as they were made. I'll probably have to hunt some down now. I'll agree that the Relativity records do sound very low, but if they "remastered" just to make them louder they might suffer the same fate as Ready To Die.

Conversely, I think a few hip hop albums from the 90's had downright great mixing/mastering, 2001 being a prime example. Technically, it's in the red at some points, but the arrangements are sparse and it's done tastefully to where (IMO) it didn't destroy the record. I feel the same way about a lot of Death Row era stuff as well.

william g.

Post by william g. »

My OG cd copies of "Breaking Atoms" "Dah Shinin" and "Enta Da Stage" all are very low in sound quality.

I'm sure there's other early 90's cd releases like that but those 3 stand out.

It's cool to own OG copies but the sound is awful on all 3 of those.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

They reissued the Main Source albums. No bonus tracks but its sounds better if you care.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

Philaflava wrote:They reissued the Main Source albums. No bonus tracks but its sounds better if you care.
the cold chilin stuff you mentioned i didnt get cause i didnt care enough in the first place so you may be right about them...but the improvement in the main source sound quality was negligible

kartman

Post by kartman »

the large pro album reissue was actually a nice try
i've got mecca and the soul brother, ironman and resurrection reissues, not really satisfied with the sound quality

i want to buy breaking atoms reissue but i'm a bit hesitant, does anyone have an actual cd copy? is indeed the sound better than the original?

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

kartman wrote:the large pro album reissue was actually a nice try
i've got mecca and the soul brother, ironman and resurrection reissues, not really satisfied with the sound quality

i want to buy breaking atoms reissue but i'm a bit hesitant, does anyone have an actual cd copy? is indeed the sound better than the original?
Try the P-Vine reissue with lots of bonus tracks (including "Time" > http://www.discogs.com/Main-Source-Brea ... ase/718269). Sounds okay although the mastering is different at some of the added tracks, plus they faked the funk by editing some intros.

If you're interested in it, I can upload it the next weekend.

I also have a copy of the late 1990s or early 2000s reissue sandboxautomatic used to sell but never listened to it, so I can't really tell you about the sound of it. I guess you'll find it here: http://www.hqhiphop.net/2010/09/main-so ... -1997.html

By the way, a remastered version of the first Chill Rob Gee album would be nice, too.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

Kool Max Power wrote:
kartman wrote:By the way, a remastered version of the first Chill Rob Gee album would be nice, too.
i think that album sounds pretty good...certainly dated sounding but in terms of sound quality i thought it was fine

id like to see youngest in charge and legal done right

step one

Post by step one »

clark bent wrote: id like to see youngest in charge and legal done right
Yup
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Dap

Post by Dap »

i've got a lot of albums that are FUCKED UP quality wise. at the same time, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't appreciate any remaster unless it was fucking AWESOMELY DONE N SHIT YOOOOOOOO

kartman

Post by kartman »

Kool Max Power wrote: Try the P-Vine reissue with lots of bonus tracks (including "Time" > http://www.discogs.com/Main-Source-Brea ... ase/718269). Sounds okay although the mastering is different at some of the added tracks, plus they faked the funk by editing some intros.

Yes, please.
Thanks for the info, thumbs up.

Joneski

Post by Joneski »

Jungle Brothers - 'Done By The Forces of Nature'

Gangstarr - 'Step In The Arena' & 'Daily Operation'

LL Cool J - 'Walking With A Panther' & 'Mama Said..."

a lot of late 80's-early 90's joints are hella quiet and thin-sounding and could greatly benefit from a nice Re-Mastering job. Boost the levels - more volume, more dynamics. Make it jump out of the speakers more.

damms

Post by damms »

kartman wrote:resurrection reissues
anybody knows what year the LP reissue with catalog nr 88561-1208-1 is from ?

that's what I have and it sounds great
Hold on let me see if I give a damn:

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Joneski wrote:Jungle Brothers - 'Done By The Forces of Nature'
Jungle Brothers 'Forces' had a shitty sound, an almost tinny quality, and it was the same across all formats, even the CD.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

There is a remastered version of Ghostface's Ironman? When was this released?
Kool Max Power wrote:By the way, a remastered version of the first Chill Rob Gee album would be nice, too.
This needs to happen ^.
IRISH_CRAIG wrote:
Joneski wrote:Jungle Brothers - 'Done By The Forces of Nature'
Jungle Brothers 'Forces' had a shitty sound, an almost tinny quality, and it was the same across all formats, even the CD.
They released a remastered Straight Out The Jungle last year, that sounds really good. I hope they do Forces too.

The Beastie Boys remasters are fucking vital... I play everything through an ipod these days, so hadn't listed to License or Paul's Boutique for years.

I want the whole Def Jam Public Enemy catalog remastered, and with bonus tracks like they did the Beastie Boys albums, but something tells me this won't happen.

All EPMD (I think they have only done Strictly Business)
All Slick Rick (I think they have only done Great Adventures)
All Eric B & Rakim (They have only done the first two)
All Digital Underground (They've only done Sex Packets)

Have they done the first two Cypress Hill albums?

kartman

Post by kartman »

truthaddict wrote:
There is a remastered version of Ghostface's Ironman? When was this released?
I was talking about the vinyl reissue, check:
http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/store/ ... C=EK7955LP

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Dunno about "classic" and necessarily TROY, but I'd sure like some of the old Brooklyn Academy shit to be remastered. The mixing on those projects are just atrocious, which is a shame cause the rap is dope.

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

kartman wrote:
Kool Max Power wrote: Try the P-Vine reissue with lots of bonus tracks (including "Time" > http://www.discogs.com/Main-Source-Brea ... ase/718269). Sounds okay although the mastering is different at some of the added tracks, plus they faked the funk by editing some intros.

Yes, please.
Thanks for the info, thumbs up.
Main Source - Breaking Atoms (P-Vine Reissue)

Link deleted, because the CD is still available at http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Atoms-Ma ... 560&sr=1-5

Sorry, didn't know about that...
Last edited by Kool Max Power on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

kartman

Post by kartman »

Thank you kind sir!

AlienNationRadio

Post by AlienNationRadio »

Phoenix Orion asked Jizzm to remaster ZX-I. He gave us a copy but I honestly like how the original sounds compared to the remastered version. We also have the demo version of ZX-II but the mastered version that's floating around online is much better. I'm not sure who mastered ZX-II.