Going Out On A Limb: Late 80's Miami Bass Radio Mixes?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

christopher walken

Going Out On A Limb: Late 80's Miami Bass Radio Mixes?

Post by christopher walken »

I grew up down here, and used to listen to the Friday night mixes of Felix Sama, Lazaro Mendez and Phil Jones on Power 96 and Hot 105. They were usually like 3-4 hours long, interspersing sets of mostly bass/freestyle, with some east coast trad. hip hop.

Unfortunately I've lost all my tapes over the years. Figured I'd see if there was anyone here who may have stumbled across anything like that? Only looking for shit from 87-88. There's a character here, that claims to have some mixes, but I'm leary of sending money to some site that looks like it was built in 1997. :lol:

http://apollojams.com/pages/mixH.html

http://apollojams.com/pages/mixH.html#mixH.10

anyone?

christopher walken

This site has some retardedly dope radio mixes, from a bunch of cities including this one:

http://www.apollojams.com/pages/mixG.html

mixG.06) DJ's: Joe Cooley/M-Walk/Tony G/Aladdin (KDAY, 12/87)
(2cd only, no cassette)

Jams include:
> Run-D.M.C.: Sucker MC's (Profile)
> Marley Marl: Marley Marl Scratch (Nia)
> UltraMagnetic MC's: MC's Ultra 2 (Next Plateau)
> Bizmarkie: Pickin' Boogers (Prism)
> Robert S.: Good As Gold
> Sweet Tee: I Got the Feelin' (Profile)
> Gregory D. & DJ Mannie Fresh: Freddie's Back
> Nairobi: Funky Soul Makossa (Streetwise)
> Sexual Harassment: I Need a Freak (Heat 605, 1983)
> Dynamix: Give the DJ A Break (Bass Station 005, 1987....later on Suntown 718, 8/87)
> Bambaata/Soul Sonic Force: Looking for the Perfect Beat (Tommy Boy 831, 2/83)
> Impakt: Defcon (Big City 777, 9/86.....arguably, the BEST hard electro record ever to come out of um... Las Vegas!?!)
> Big Daddy Kane: Get Into It (Prism)
> Derek B: Rock the Beat (Profile)
> Heavy D: Overweight Lover (Uptown)
> Rodney O: Supercuts (Yeah, Boyee!) (Egyptian Empire 776, 12/87)
> L.L. Cool J: Rock the Bells (Def Jam)
> Public Enemy: Bring the Noise (Def Jam)
> Sweet Tee: I Got the Feelin' (Profile)
> Spoonie Gee: The Godfather (Tuff City)
> Audio 2: Top Billin' (First Priority)
> Public Enemy: My Uzi Weighs a Ton (Def Jam)
> Bizmarkie: Nobody Beats the Biz (Prism)
> Bizmarkie: Pickin' Boogers (Prism)
> Whodini: Friends (Jive)
> Public Enemy: Rebel Without a Pause (Def Jam)
> Dezo Daz: It's My Turn (TechnoHop 19, 12/87)
> Shante: The Payback (Col' Chillin')
> Dimples Tee: Jealous Fellas (Bass Station 002, 1986....later on Suntown 721, 2/87)
> Jonzun Crew: Pac Jam (Tommy Boy)
> NWA: Panic Zone (Macola 1034, 10/87)
> Kool MoDee: How U Like Me Now (Jive)
> Superlover Cee: Do the James (DNA)
> B-Boys: 2/3 Break (Vintertainment)

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

I know this Apollo cat. I used to work with him at another record store years ago.

From what I remember he's got a pretty low-tech operation, and he's kind of an odd character out of the old school NY dance scene.

Its my first time seeing that site. Its pretty terrible (like a time warp), and some of his stuff is just plain useless. But the dude has a lot of rare, legit recordings. I don't know if its all listed on the site and if he is still labeling everything by hand, but I know you can get some real old school rarities from him particularly in the mixtapes and recordings or radio shows.

I can't 100% vouch for him, as I have not seen him in about 8 years, but the guy is so obsessed with his old school dance music fetishes, that I know he would not stiff anyone who orders from his beloved collection.

moves

Post by moves »

buyin radio rips from someone who wasnt the dj that actually mixed em , seems like a weird move.
i need the audio 2 3rd album

moves

Post by moves »

props for the info tho id like to hear all the dj laz ones fer sure.
i need the audio 2 3rd album

step one

Post by step one »

moves wrote:buyin radio rips from someone who wasnt the dj that actually mixed em , seems like a weird move.
not when its some rare shit like this - where else you gonna get it?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

christopher walken

strategy786 wrote:I know this Apollo cat. I used to work with him at another record store years ago.

From what I remember he's got a pretty low-tech operation, and he's kind of an odd character out of the old school NY dance scene.

Its my first time seeing that site. Its pretty terrible (like a time warp), and some of his stuff is just plain useless. But the dude has a lot of rare, legit recordings. I don't know if its all listed on the site and if he is still labeling everything by hand, but I know you can get some real old school rarities from him particularly in the mixtapes and recordings or radio shows.

I can't 100% vouch for him, as I have not seen him in about 8 years, but the guy is so obsessed with his old school dance music fetishes, that I know he would not stiff anyone who orders from his beloved collection.
good looks, appreesh. i may email him first, see what's what.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

They are hard to come by man, i knew one person on Soulseek that had some DJ Laz tapes and he goes by the name of PapaWheelie. We used to frequent an ol' school Miami Bass site. He had (or so he claimed) to have so many old school rarities but never upped them while everyone else was upping good tapes from back in the day. All i have in abundance from back in the day are Jam Pony tapes my earliest one is from like 84'. Personally i want some SugarHill Express tapes.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Knew Gav would stop by and bring JPX with him.

christopher walken

Galvatron78 wrote:They are hard to come by man, i knew one person on Soulseek that had some DJ Laz tapes and he goes by the name of PapaWheelie. We used to frequent an ol' school Miami Bass site. He had (or so he claimed) to have so many old school rarities but never upped them while everyone else was upping good tapes from back in the day. All i have in abundance from back in the day are Jam Pony tapes my earliest one is from like 84'. Personally i want some SugarHill Express tapes.
Yep, indeed, Galv. I know who Papa Wheelie is, I've touched base with him in the past, but not in at least 6 years. Though I used to have him on my Last.fm friends. I'm familiar that he's like the go-to "guru" of Bass history/trivia. But he's sort of dropped out, I know he was all into Italo-Disco. But he seems to know music, generally pretty well. Funny, I went to middle school in Lauderdale Lakes, right near where Jam Pony hails from. I just could never get into their shit. It's an interesting niche, but not for me. They're still around in some facet. I saw someone with a JPE sticker on their truck, maybe 2 years ago, and like two days later, picked up a local Lauderdale pirate station bumping some Jam Pony. I may order from that dude at Apollo Jams, if he sounds legit in email correspondence.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I remember going down to Miami and West Palm Beach Florida for the first and only time in '93, the Hip Hop scene and bass sound there was interesting coming from New York. I went to a show with Miami bass artists and Redman on his tour for Whut Thee Album, both at the same venue.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

christopher walken

fatboybrandon wrote:I remember going down to Miami and West Palm Beach Florida for the first and only time in '93, the Hip Hop scene and bass sound there was interesting coming from New York. I went to a show with Miami bass artists and Redman on his tour for Whut Thee Album, both at the same venue.
It was interesting, yeah... I didn't keep up with the Bass scene post-88', got way into the sounds of the Golden Era, myself, though I'm sure there was some decent shit at that time. In 87-88 the music had really just come into it's own, in what were still the formative years of Miami Bass, not that I'm nearly an expert. But, if you went to high school down here at that period of time, it was unavoidable, and was just a very cool thing to experience. The style of dress, music, car/car stereo culture, Miami really did have it's own thing going on. Lights under the cars, Basslines on the windows, all patently South Florida. Sick programming, insanely fast cutting, boomin' systems. Good times...