Scrapped/incomplete/renamed albums

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

bignormy

Scrapped/incomplete/renamed albums

Post by bignormy »

Got to daydreaming about all the album titles that floated around that got renamed, scrapped, etc (not so much completed but unreleased albums)

Inspectah Deck - INS 4 President
Wu Tang - St Valentine's Day Massacre (became Wu Tang Forever)
Common Sense - Big Ill-inois (became One Day?)
MC Ren - Life Sentence (became Shock of the Hour)
Eazy E - Temporary Insanity; vol 2 of straight off the streets of mf compton
Black Thought - Masterpiece Theater
Dre/Cube - Helter Skelter
Mos Def - Black Jack Johnson
Puff Daddy - Hell Up In Harlem (became No Way Out)
Rakim - Oh My God
Nas - NASDaq Dow Jones; Lost Tapes 2; N****r (became untitled)
De La Soul - AOI 3 (may still come out? maybe was completed?)
MF Doom / Ghost - Swift and Changeable
PEACE - Silver Metallic Shit, Green Mile (these probably are done but unreleased?)
Ganjah K - "Puff Daddy", Ganjah K Chronicles (mentioned on myspace)
OMD - BBoys in Occupied Mexico (became 2mex solo)
2mex - I Want Your Girlfriend Back (titled Over the counter culture instead)

add on if you find this interesting

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Yeah the thoughts crossed my mind before, mostly in the mid 90's when I used to look through Hip Hop mags and see titles of forthcoming albums that never materialized. It seems like nowadays there is so much music coming out I don't get the same effect of anticipating an album as I used to.

I was definitely anticipating that Helter Skelter album with Dre & Cube too.

This 12" of Cappadonna's 97 Mentality says a forthcoming album called Blunted Soul. I heard an interview years later on Chamber Musik.com with their singer Blue Rasberry, she said that was supposed to be the title of her album, instead of Cappa's.

I still have an episode of Future Flavaz from around 96 where Havoc and Marley Marl mentioned a collaboration album as producers. That might have been nice..

I remember an interview on Hot 97 around 97 when Q-Tip mentioned a full album with him & Busta Rhymes. This was when Busta was all over the mainstream with a string of hits.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Afronaut

Re: Scrapped/incomplete/renamed albums

Post by The Afronaut »

bignormy wrote:Black Thought - Masterpiece Theater
Did most of the finished tracks for this get added to Phrenology? Im pretty sure "Pussy Galore" was originally slated for this project.
Dre/Cube - Helter Skelter
This wouldve been better around the time it was being discussed, but I'd still be amped for it today.
Mos Def - Black Jack Johnson
I wouldve loved to hear what this project was sound like before it co-opped into The New Danger. The tracks from TND that sound like they were originally meant to be BJJ tracks were pretty good in my opinion.
Would love to hear any info about this or what happened with its planned release. Ive been intrigued about it ever since Mase touted that it was "coming soon...on some DJ shit"

step one

Post by step one »

Jay Z/DMX/Ja Rule 'Murder Inc' - wouldve been full of Swizz Beatz/Irv Gotti production but there'd have been a few gems on there aswell. Murdergram and Its Murder are dope.

The Dre/Cube album wouldve been a classic - shame it never happened.

Primo was meant to drop an album on Terror Squad Records (or whatever label Fat Joe dreamed up) about 10 years ago.

Wasnt there meant to be a Masta Ace album between Take A Look... and Slaughtahouse that got scrapped/shelved?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

Frank N Dank - "48 Hours" (the sample version - check my blog for what it could've sounded like). 15 tracks, check it out here, it's so much better than the official bootleg that was released - http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2010/12/dill ... -dank.html

OC - "The Starchild Remix Projects" - since the original, BANGING, fourth OC album "Starchild" never made it into the American market there were two remix projects that was gonna be released instead. One by Pete Rock and one by The Beat Fantatics (Illmind and Slopfunkdust). download all the leaked tracks and snippets @ The Lost Tapes: http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2011/03/lost ... remix.html

KRS-One - "Maximum Strength" (1999) - this was completely scrapped with onyl a double-A side single released and a video. there were plenty of unreleased KRS tracks from that period that eventually surfaced. this is not the exact "M.S." album but i think it's pretty close, check it here: http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2010/11/krs- ... rsion.html

Nas - "I A Am... (The Autobiography)" - the retail version was aight but it had the potential to easily be the best of Nas's albums since "It Was Written". check out my take on it: http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2010/11/nas- ... raphy.html

Ghostface Killah - "Bulletproof Wallets"; i never cared much for the retail version, it had plenty of great music but overall the sequencing was off and alot of the best tracks were completely deleted and other incredible songs remixes to shit. check out my take on it - definitely closer to the OG: http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2010/12/ghos ... llets.html

co-sign on "Helter Skelter" by Dre and Ice Cube when they were both at their kinda peak (at least lyrically). Dre had some monstrous beats but his production around '96 was from his '92 sound or even his '99 sound imo.

The World Renown album that was supposed to be released in 1994, for those who don't know W.R. was a duo consisting of Marley Marl's and K-Def's cousins repsectively. shit is banging!! i wish Traffic or some label like that would release this in mastered quality.

Lord Finesse "Funky Technican" remix project that was pushed back and the last we heard was that it would drop in 2010 to celebrate the 10 year anniversary. the Large Pro and DJ Premier remixes that's been released are both amazing.

DJ Muggs vs. Inspectah Deck - this was the next album in the Vs. series after "Grandmasters"; would've been incredible.

there's alot more but that's it for now.
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

nature sounds is trying to convinced everyone very hard that the ghost/doom album exists and will be released very soon

promo cassettes were actually sent out today to select members of their mailing list or something, according to twitter. there's even a picture of one
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

aleph

Post by aleph »

Jungle Brothers- Crazy Wisdom Masters
Deemed too out there by WB, reconfigured and released as J. Beez Wit the Remedy.

Public Enemy- Protocols of the Elders of Zion
Most likely a put-on perpetrated by Greil Marcus in 1989 when he claimed that it was PEג€™s new album. I believed it then, I wish I had that article now. As we all know, Fear came out the following year and that was that. But dude was so vivid in his description of this alleged album, throwing out titles like "How the Jews Stole Christmas" (Griff's cut). Plausible coming from Griff, but frankly the write-up sounds more like a product of Marcus' imagination, perhaps to serve as overall commentary/criticism of PE's (really Griff's) anti-semitic rants at the time.

Company Flow- Pain Cave
Was going to be their sophomore album, bits and pieces put out on the Co Flow/Can Ox ep, Fantastic Damage and the burninhellmegamix pt. 1

Three Times Dope- Mayjor Flayvors
This even had an ad campaign printed in the Source. Do we care? I kinda do.

Rampage- The Red Oktoba

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

aleph wrote:Company Flow- Pain Cave
Was going to be their sophomore album, bits and pieces put out on the Co Flow/Can Ox ep, Fantastic Damage and the burninhellmegamix pt. 1
Yeah, I wouldve loved to see how this wouldve turned out. Patriotism was probably going to be on there too, right?

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

fatboybrandon wrote:

This 12" of Cappadonna's 97 Mentality says a forthcoming album called Blunted Soul. I heard an interview years later on Chamber Musik.com with their singer Blue Rasberry, she said that was supposed to be the title of her album, instead of Cappa's.

Is that the 12 with the clean version of 97 Mentality featuring animal sounds or something over the swears? Does any other release feature that version and could someone please upload it here if possible?
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Verge

Post by Verge »

drizzle wrote:nature sounds is trying to convinced everyone very hard that the ghost/doom album exists and will be released very soon

promo cassettes were actually sent out today to select members of their mailing list or something, according to twitter. there's even a picture of one
If you got it, post it please, or send pm?
I still believe this will happen, they both need it right now especially ghost. Its the most logical thing for them to work on. I guess the thought was planted so long ago that its just not so "oh shit wow!" to me anymore, but I still wanna hear what they can do together, pause.
I'm glad there's been a new buzz about it though.

Fab 5 LP: After Leflauh they were in a perfect position to drop an album that would have done well back then. It's a no brainer that it would have been a good album with the production that was available to them.

Anyways, Sean Price did say this on "Mess You Made" from Jesus Price Superstar, (sorry, i know its way :lastweek: but i missed this, it was out before i was online):
"The Fab 5 album got put on the shelf, but they still play Leflauh on the throwbacks at 12..."
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SkctfraZcYE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SkctfraZcYE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

So I gotta wonder wtf happened with it. Especially in these last few years where everyone and their dope fiend cousin has been coming out with shelved/archived material from the 90s.

aleph

Post by aleph »

The Afronaut wrote:
aleph wrote:Company Flow- Pain Cave
Yeah, I wouldve loved to see how this wouldve turned out. Patriotism was probably going to be on there too, right?
Mos definitely! At least in my version of Pain Cave.

I posted this before; I bump it in my iPod pretending that this would have been Pain Cave. These are all the songs released after Funcrusher Plus. I just added the Burners Lost Mix very recently posted by El-P.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GL0OJ095

Verge

Post by Verge »

:cheers: aleph

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

There's that early version of Ras Kass' Soul on Ice that was mostly scrapped...man, I would do anything to get a high quality copy of that. It's probably in some vault somewhere at Priority Records.

This is the "cleaned up" version...still far from perfect.

https://rs501cg.rapidshare.com/#!downlo ... 301553FB93
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Verge wrote:
drizzle wrote:nature sounds is trying to convinced everyone very hard that the ghost/doom album exists and will be released very soon

I still believe this will happen, they both need it right now especially ghost. Its the most logical thing for them to work on. I guess the thought was planted so long ago that its just not so "oh shit wow!" to me anymore, but I still wanna hear what they can do together, pause.

Fab 5 LP: After Leflauh they were in a perfect position to drop an album that would have done well back then. It's a no brainer that it would have been a good album with the production that was available to them.

Anyways, Sean Price did say this on "Mess You Made" from Jesus Price Superstar, (sorry, i know its way :lastweek: but i missed this, it was out before i was online):
"The Fab 5 album got put on the shelf, but they still play Leflauh on the throwbacks at 12..."
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SkctfraZcYE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SkctfraZcYE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

So I gotta wonder wtf happened with it. Especially in these last few years where everyone and their dope fiend cousin has been coming out with shelved/archived material from the 90s.
I haven't heard the whole thing, but I used to have Leflaur Part 2 and a couple other songs that were supposedly off the Fab 5 album. They was underwhelming to say the least. Good thing it never came out, and this is coming from prolly the biggest BCC head on this site.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

- The B.U.M.S. sophomore album the only thing that came out of that was another single called "Take Your time" it came out like 97' or something.

- Dj Paul & Juicy J album called "The checkwriters" they advertised this shit since 94' and still no sign

- The Magic Mike/Dj Fury Team Up album.....it got scrapped due to neither sides wanting to work with each other anymore.

- Devastator "First Sign of Light"

- Disco Rick and The Dogs reunion album "Doggy Stile"......it was scrapped because Ant-D of the Dogs is currently on Death Row waiting to be executed for Double Murder.

- Home Team "Malignant Graffiti" was scrapped due to Luke Records going under. A poster a while back posted two tracks off the scrapped album.

- Large Professor and Akinyele "Strictly Platonic"

- C-9 "No Competition"

- T-Rock and K-Rock "The Rockafellaz"

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

Unique - Die Hard
Whooliganz - Make Way For The W
Resident Alien - It Takes A Nation Of Suckers To Let Us In
Lady Of Rage - Eargasms
Mr. Malik - The Last Don
Mista Grimm - Things Are Looking Grimm
Father Dom - Mellow Madness
C. Boogie Brown - That's How Life B
Audio Two - First Dead Indian
Shazzy - Ghettosburg Address
Cardan - Hey Young World
Planet Asia - Life As It Is
Flipmode Squad - The Rulership Movement
Pharoahe Monch - Inner Vision
Ali Vegas - Generation Gap
Nonchalant - For All Non-Believers

claaa7

Re: Scrapped/incomplete/renamed albums

Post by claaa7 »

The Afronaut wrote:
bignormy wrote:Black Thought - Masterpiece Theater
i was a little obsessed with this project for a while after those 4 songs hit the net a couple of years ago. here's a few tracks that i'm 75-100% sure was made for "Masterpiece..." - i'm probably gonna upload this to my blog soon so don't steal my idea please. here's what i came up with:

01. "Rock You" [prod. by DJ Scratch]
02. "Mona Lisa" [prod. by Kareem Riggins] [unreleased]
03. "The Professional" [unreleased]
04. "Work" (Ft. Aleechia James) [prod. by ?uestlove]
05. "Quicksand Millenium" [DJ Spinna version - Original]
06. "Hardware" [prod. by DJ Krush]
07. "Thought @ Work" [prod. by Questlove - Original]
08. "Wather: The First Movement" [prod. by Tahir]
09. "Quills" [prod. by Kareem Riggins]
10. "Pussy Calore" [prod. by Scott Storch & Zoukhan]
11. "Rhymes / Amo" (Ft. Talib Kweli)
12. ?"Please Don't Go"? [prod. by J Dilla]

i know at least 65-70% of these tracks were from the original "Masterpiece Theater".
Would love to hear any info about this or what happened with its planned release. Ive been intrigued about it ever since Mase touted that it was "coming soon...on some DJ shit"
this is one of the albums i would fucking love to hear, but unless i'm totally mistaklen i think this album can still happen. i also read somewhere that some of the songs turned into "The Grind Date". but we need the real deal, both "AOI" albums were great.
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Verge wrote:

heres the pic

http://instagr.am/p/HKolG/

relevant info
http://twitter.com/#!/naturesounds/stat ... 5185309696

http://twitter.com/#!/naturesounds/stat ... 0869946368
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

Another OC Project - "Love, Hell or Right" was supposed to drop after Jewelz, and I remember reading an interview where he basically said it was done. I think he said it would see a release sometime, but that must be at least 5 years ago and nothing ever materialized. Not sure if any tracks got used elsewhere, but I'm pretty sure it didn't become Bon Apetite...

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

For some reason I couldnt get this to work for me. :cheers: regardless though.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Wasn't the Iron Sheiks EP/12 supposed to lead to further material? I saw the artwork in The Source and it looked dope, very colourful but it was quite a small picture in the independents section. Maybe it was for a promo tape but I've not seen such a tape.

I've never seen that picture again.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

KITFUNK wrote:
Verge wrote:

I haven't heard the whole thing, but I used to have Leflaur Part 2 and a couple other songs that were supposedly off the Fab 5 album. They was underwhelming to say the least. Good thing it never came out, and this is coming from prolly the biggest BCC head on this site.
I was a fan of Leflaur pt. 2, plus judging from Dirtiest Playas in the Game and the Fab 5 freestyles from that Tony Touch/BCC freestyle tape, I think it would've been worth hearing. None of the songs could probably fuck with Leflaur pt. 1 or Blah!, but still.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I9-2H_y_1Ko?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I9-2H_y_1Ko?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Krisch wrote: Pharoahe Monch - Inner Vision
Agree. I think there are plenty of tracks floating round from between Internal Affairs and Desire that if compiled, would've hit way harder than Desire.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKgizY4Pghc?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKgizY4Pghc?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

aleph

Post by aleph »

The Afronaut wrote:
For some reason I couldnt get this to work for me. :cheers: regardless though.
Check back tomorrow, I'll re-up first chance I get.

dochiphop

Post by dochiphop »

The Kali dropped a single called Kalism b/w gettin bigger in 1992. I remember the video was played on Yo MTV raps and Rap City and I loved it. The cds says the songs are from an upcoming album called "the age of kalism" but I'm pretty sure it never came out. Here's a link to a post I made a while ago
http://www.hqhiphop.net/search/label/The%20Kali

Also I have read in many places that Poor Righteous Teachers put out an album called Declaration of Independence on Tony D's (RIP) Exit 7A record label in 2001/2002. However, I have never seen a copy or even a picture of it and no one I have had any interaction with knows any more about it. If any one here can give more info or even share the album (if it exists) I would be forever greatful!

Eyedea

Post by Eyedea »

Concrete Click, the group out of Boston, also had an EP out "Lyrical Terrorism EP" where they mentioned in the outro that LP is coming soon...that never materialized...or has it?

also, 2pac scrapped an album "Troublesome 21" that was suppose to drop soon after his debut...don't know which tracks were there, but pretty sure that some of them made SFMN later...

aleph

Post by aleph »

Not one, but TWO Son Of Bazerk albums after the debut, both got the thumbs down for release by Hank Shocklee.

@ Afronaut, hope this link works for you

http://www.mediafire.com/?5so49wdz8infj6r

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

aleph wrote:@ Afronaut, hope this link works for you

http://www.mediafire.com/?5so49wdz8infj6r
Saddingly no. I think there's a prob on my end. Thanks for trying though. :leon:

Verge

Post by Verge »

Galvatron78 wrote:- Large Professor and Akinyele "Strictly Platonic"
Interesting, I don't really remember much about this happening but it would have definitely been ill. Reminds me of the Akinyele and Kool G Rap LP that either was never made or never dropped. "Bitch Haters Club"..or was that the title of their group? Not sure.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Something like that plus Nas

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

Krisch wrote:Unique - Die Hard
Whooliganz - Make Way For The W
Resident Alien - It Takes A Nation Of Suckers To Let Us In
Lady Of Rage - Eargasms
Mr. Malik - The Last Don
Mista Grimm - Things Are Looking Grimm
Father Dom - Mellow Madness
C. Boogie Brown - That's How Life B
Audio Two - First Dead Indian
Shazzy - Ghettosburg Address
Cardan - Hey Young World
Planet Asia - Life As It Is
Flipmode Squad - The Rulership Movement
Pharoahe Monch - Inner Vision
Ali Vegas - Generation Gap
Nonchalant - For All Non-Believers
this one happened though.....
http://duffmancantbreathe.blogspot.com
Funk, hip hop, soul, psychedelic, reggae and blues reviews and downloads.