1997-Rahsheed-Wasabi LP (and Ill Advised Thread)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Jaz
Ease Up

1997-Rahsheed-Wasabi LP (and Ill Advised Thread)

Post by Jaz »

Hard to find Japanese only release from Rahsheed, massive props to Dougpark for the rip...

Code: Select all

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|485dt|3835325097|RAHSHEED_Wasabi___1997_____ripped_by_DOUGPARK.rar
1 Intro
2 Industrypartybumrusha!
3 Keep Kickin That
4 How Eva U Want
5 12:00 AM
6 Final Call
7 Never Put U Down
8 Studio Time (Interlude)
9 Split Decision
10 East Wild West
11 The Life I Live
12 Gothum
13 Outro (A.R. Gray)

www.discogs.com/Rahsheed-Wasabi/release/2686246
Last edited by Jaz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

nice

STAM

Post by STAM »

Thanks JaZ! I waz lookin for this CD few months but i can't see any alive links... thanks-a-lot

CrimeFamily

Post by CrimeFamily »

thanks jaz, this sounds dope..

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Nice, thanks for this one Jaz...anything Ill Advised-related is always appreciated. :cheers:

Verge

Post by Verge »

nice, thanks Jaz. I didn't know this existed.

weekdaywarrior

Post by weekdaywarrior »

that cat baby blak was dope too!

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

was always wondering where the life i live was from. used to love that track. thanks for this homie.

drunkmonk36

Post by drunkmonk36 »

looks good. cheers Jaz!

Freezy Pazzy

Re: 1997-Rahsheed-Wasabi LP

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

Jaz wrote:Hard to find Japanese only release from Rahsheed, massive props to Dougpark for the rip...
Dope album, no doubt.
Hakan is a good friend of mine, I'm the one who told him about this CD. :)
There's also a full length Ill Advised album, japan only release like this one.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Jaz wrote:Hard to find Japanese only release from Rahsheed, massive props to Dougpark for the rip...
Dope album, no doubt.
I was gonna say, I think i have an Ill Advised LP rip somewhere.

Also, is Baby Blak the same dude as Rahsheed? If no, then what else did he do?

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Verge wrote:
Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Dope album, no doubt.

The Ill Advised album is called "Can You Smell It" - http://www.discogs.com/Ill-Advised-Can- ... se/2823419

I have that somewhere if anyone needs it. Someone else (I think on here) compiled a compilation of Ill Advised joints which has some different stuff on it.

Hey Verge - Baby Blak and Rahsheed are the 2 members of Ill Advised. But Rahsheed has also released albums as Maylay Sparks. Baby Blak had a pretty good album on BBE a few years back called Once You Go Blak (with an atrocious cover).
oracle21 wrote:was always wondering where the life i live was from. used to love that track. thanks for this homie.
This song originally appeared on this single - http://www.discogs.com/Rahsheed-East-Wi ... se/1306108

Verge

Post by Verge »

Thanks Debonair P. Yeah, I guess it was probably the compilation i got somewhere. And the rahsheed multiple aliases(well, one alias) probably got me having Baby Blak mixed in the sauce with. He's got the smaller voice, I remember now, thanks.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Debonair_P wrote:
Verge wrote:
Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Dope album, no doubt.

The Ill Advised album is called "Can You Smell It" - http://www.discogs.com/Ill-Advised-Can- ... se/2823419

I have that somewhere if anyone needs it. Someone else (I think on here) compiled a compilation of Ill Advised joints which has some different stuff on it.

Hey Verge - Baby Blak and Rahsheed are the 2 members of Ill Advised. But Rahsheed has also released albums as Maylay Sparks. Baby Blak had a pretty good album on BBE a few years back called Once You Go Blak (with an atrocious cover).
oracle21 wrote:was always wondering where the life i live was from. used to love that track. thanks for this homie.
This song originally appeared on this single - http://www.discogs.com/Rahsheed-East-Wi ... se/1306108
I have two albums from Quake City that were never released. For years I was trying to convince Newton on doing something but it never panned out. Rasheed didn't even have this stuff but from what I heard, a lot of it is actually on this album as well as the Can You Smell It release.

Mr. Lish was apart of Ill Advised and Maylay aka Rahsheed was always just a feature. Same with Paul Yams.

Knowbody

Post by Knowbody »

That's correct, Rahsheed aka Maylay Sparks is not even listed in the Ill Advised booklet as a feature even though he appears on at least one track. By the way, you can still buy the Wasabi album at amazon.de for a way too high price:

http://www.amazon.de/Wasabi-Extra-Rahsh ... 30&sr=1-22

I got my CD from this link a few years back when they sold this for a normal price. And just to let everyone know: Rasheed aka Maylay Sparks also released an overlooked album in norway called "Legend in my own mind":

http://www.discogs.com/Maylay-Sparks-Le ... se/1747976

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Love the feedback., thank you and you are all welcome but Hakan and Freezy Pazzy deserve all the props.

Baby Blak discogs here...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Baby+Blak

dinatelli

Post by dinatelli »

thanks for this one man ! very dOpe !! :cheers:

After many try, i really can't dl from this link !
Could Jaz or anybody else re-up this dope please ?

thanks in advance.

kaimer One

Post by kaimer One »

Thank you man, very nice album ! :cheers:

Verge

Post by Verge »

dinatelli wrote:thanks for this one man ! very dOpe !! :cheers:

thanks in advance.
Here you go:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XF1LHGGJ

dinatelli

Post by dinatelli »

Verge wrote:
dinatelli wrote:thanks for this one man ! very dOpe !! :cheers:

thanks in advance.
Here you go:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XF1LHGGJ
thanks alot Verge ! very nice :cheers:

nojiveturkey

Post by nojiveturkey »

this is real dope. thanks jaz.
I dig the flaves

Requests
The Funk Farm - Pataphysical
The Funk Farm - The This Time Tape

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

nojiveturkey wrote:this is real dope. thanks jaz.
again fam thank you and you are all welcome but Hakan and Freezy Pazzy deserve all the props.

del4sel

Post by del4sel »

Appreciated!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Ill Advised - Can You Smell It LP (1997)

http://www.fileserve.com/file/N89J9EX
01. Intro
02. Names (54th St. Version)
03. Through The Eye
04. Encore
05. Against The Grain (feat Rahsheed & Pauly Yams)
06. Interlude
07. Kites To The Street
08. Freestyle I Wrek FM
09. Fuck Ya Head Up!
10. Gimme Tha Mic
11. Kwestions
12. Freestyle II Wrek FM
13. Who I'm Iz???
14. Roll Call
15. Stress
16. Outro
Last edited by Jaz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

http://sharebee.com/0d56ee12
A1 Through The Eye (Radio Mix) (4:23)
A2 Through The Eye (Instrumental) (4:23)
A3 Kwestions (Instrumental) (4:21)
B1 Against The Grain (Radio Mix) (4:58) [Featuring] - Pauly Yams, Rahsheed
B2 Against The Grain (Instrumental) (4:58)
B3 Kwestions (LP Mix) (4:21)

http://kaknado.blogspot.com/2009/07/ill ... 12-96.html

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Maylay Sparks-Unusual Styles VLS (1998)

http://www.mediafire.com/?3hdvc67h1thhcgl
A1 Unusual Styles (Dirty)
A2 Unusual Styles (Radio)
A3 Unusual Styles (Instrumental)
B1 I Mani (Dirty)
B2 I Mani (Radio)
B3 I Mani (Instrumental)

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Rahsheed - East Wild West 12" (1996)

http://www.zshare.net/download/61923793a983cfa1
A1 East Wild West (Radio Mix)
Featuring ג€“ Azz Backwardz
A2 Keep Kickin That (Radio Mix)
A3 East Wild West (Instrumental)
B1 The Life I Live (Radio Mix)
B2 Keep Kickin That (Instrumental)
B3 The Life I Live (Instrumental)

http://ground-undaaa.blogspot.com/2009/ ... st-12.html

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Although the OG Philaflava blog has been dead for a while, I found a transcription of an entire Ill Advised post from 2006, penned by Mustafa Goodprose, on Baby Blak's MySpace page. I know for a long, long time this was the only Ill Advised material floating around the 'net...in collected form, at least.
My favorite group of the Philadelphia underground is Ill Advised. Comprised of rappers Baby Blak, Mr. Lish, and occasionally Rasheed (aka the Rebel Rasheed aka Maylay Sparks) the crew put out a number of 12s in the mid-to-late 1990s on Quake City and later Eastern Conference Records.

Basically the story is this: Quake City is a label out of Philly. Ill Advised recorded two albums for them that were only released in Japan under the "Blue Dolphin" imprint. In the States Quake City Records a released number of 12s from the Ill Advised crew, the first being obscure "Against the Grain/Kwestions/Through the Eye," the second being the college radio hit "N.A.M.E.S./Encore," and the last two the 1986/Internal Affairs joint and another pressing with a remix featuring The Roots. Ill Advised were also featured heavily on the first or second Eastern Conference Records 12 with the songs "Captivating Cultivating," "All In Together Now" which featured Pauly Yams, and "Know A Little Nigga." Baby Blak is also featured on the original version of "Open Mic Night."

The crew fell off the map in 1999 when Mr. Lish went on a "judicial vacation" somewhere "up north." There were a lot of problems with Quake City Records, I believe that they went under in 2000 the the two albums they released in Japan (Wasabi and Can U Smell Me) never made it to stores in America. The problems for the crew only magnified with Eastern Conference Records. Milo Berger, aka DJ Might Mi aka DJ Mighty Bi, never paid Ill Advised a dime for anything. Word on the street (and straight from Baby Blak's mouth in an interview with Elemtree) was that they took Mi by force to an ATM machine and um, uh, well... "intimidated" him into draining his account for them on the spot. Also, Ill Advised affiliate Rasheed is said to have thrown a stack of Eastern Conference 12s into the Delaware River in the video for his track (and first release on Quake City Records for all you vinyl geeks out there) "Industry Party Bumrusha." I've never seen this myself, just read about it one the internet. If someone can hook that video up for me though that'd be dope.

Ill Advised has gotten their shit together somewhat as of late. Baby Blak put out a nice album in 2003 called Blak Is Back. Blak has also put out a lot of 12s with DJ Revolution. He's also done a lot of work with hip hop legend DJ Jazzy Jeff. Lish is supposedly out of jail and the duo are currently preparing their American debut on BBE records.

For all of you vinyl collectors out there I want to let you know that there are some seriously rare Ill Advised joint floating around that have never made it to the internet. The first two are the crew's Japan-only releases Wasabi and Can U Smell Me?. The third is a version of 1.9.8.6. (I think, not sure which song it is from their catalog, but it's from one of their 12's) with Mr Eon on it and a different beat. It was played a few times on 89.1 and 89.9 in NYC. I'm not sure if it's test-pressing only or just an isolated acetate. If anyone remembers the "Neuman" skit on High and Mighty's debut album Home Field Advantage that's what that whole thing was about; Ill Advised thinking Eon was wack and Milo not paying them what they were owed so they pulled Eon's vocals off of all their new songs. The skit kinda backfired on High and Mighty in my opinion because everyone from Cage to Tame One to Necro has aired out Mighty Mi for his sloppy business dealings. Also a word of warning for the vinyl collectors (and maybe Ill Advised if they are reading this), there are two versions of the Through the Eye/Kwestions/Against the Grain 12' floatring around out there. I am not sure if one is a bootleg but I've seen pictures of a version with a faded rainbow-colored label being sold in Japan. I have a different version with an off-white-colored label. I am not too sure which one is the original or if the crew knows about the second pressing because when labels are running low on money, and this is especially true of smaller indie labels, they normally start bootlegging shit in Japan. Wild Pitch did it. Ask that Oasis-looking faggot Cage about Bobbito pressing up some of his shit (The Muppet Show) and releasing it in Japan behind his back. It happens all the time so I'm not sure of one of the pressings is legit.

And now the good part, the music. I've ripped a number of Ill Advised tracks from the original vinyl and uploaded them here for all of you. A few people have the N.A.M.E.S 12', it hardly comes up for sale, and fewer people even know about the 12' they released before that. Most rap fans missed the great shit they did on EC because it was never released on CD (and it's the best material EC ever put out in my opinion). A lot of people know about the shit they did with the Roots.

Here's the tracklisting, and remember that the quality of the actual vinyl for a lot of these records is dodgey and unmastered. Don't expect CD-quality sound, just good music.

1.9.8.6. Remix with the Roots
Against the Grain
All in Together Now
Captivating Cultivating
Encore
Internal Affairs
Know a Little Nigga
Kwestions
Names
Push
Renaisance
Through the Eye

Ill Advised- Collected Songs from 1996 to 2000 by Mustafa Goodprose

One of the things I always enjoyed about Ill Advised is their ear for beats. A lot of these beats are heavy as fuck. I'm sure you'll agreee. The fact that they are great MCs helps a lot too.

I have a little bonus for you cats today too, an obscure Baby Blak joint called "Dangerzone." It's actually a DJ Sat One joint which features Blak and Babygrande rappers Outerspace.

DJ Sat One ft. Baby Blak and Outerspace- Dangerzone

Someday I hope that I can track down original copies of Ill Advised's Japan-only releases. If they are anything like the shit they put out here in the States on vinyl I'm sure they're great records. If anyone has it in mp3, I'll settle for that. Chances are I have whatever it is you might want in return. If you're sensitive about the prospect of me handing that shit out to people have no fears, I'm sitting on a lot of stuff that will never leave the crates that they are sitting it.

For now though, enjoy the music.
Unbelievably, this link has survived for nearly 5 years (the original blog post is dated October 2006).
Good stuff. Most of these joints sound crackly and muffled, just like MGP says in the post, but it doesn't really matter because every track is great. A number of the songs appear on "Can U Smell It" but other, like "Know A Little Nigga" and the "1986" Remix do not.

If anyone feels the desire to ask for these in 320kbps quality or whatever whatever, I suggest you kick rocks straight out of this forum. Just listen to the goddamn music already!

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

Thanks Jaz! I already had been asking for it in the Request Thread a few weeks ago. Never knew this existed until recently..

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Krisch wrote:Thanks Jaz! I already had been asking for it in the Request Thread a few weeks ago. Never knew this existed until recently..
all good K...we need to track down a few things, can you help?