One Gud Cide - Look What The Streets Made (Fort Worth, TX)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Echo Leader

One Gud Cide - Look What The Streets Made (Fort Worth, TX)

Post by Echo Leader »

Amazing album from another underrated group:

One Gud Cide - Look What The Streets Made

One Gud Cide (Twisted Black & Evil Seed) came together in 1991, but it took them four years to drop their debut Look What The Streets Made. Personally, I'm damn glad they took their time. Apparently they sold 10,000 copies of the record in 30 days.

This record is incredible. I pulled it out (:pause:) last night and I'm still amazed at how good it is. The beats are ethereal and haunting, and although Evil Seed is competent on the mic it's Twisted Black who really shines. The dude constructs melancholy street tales with ease; you get the impression this is a man who is truly entrapped in his lifestyle, ironically by the very same system that decrees that his lifestyle is "illegal."

Great lyrics. Great beats. What more could you ask for?

Also one of the greatest album covers of all time, imho. That photo is of Twisted Black after he was shot through the jaw. Real shit.

It was re-released on Twisted Black's Scarred 4 Life imprint in 1996, and this is the version that you see for sale on eBay and Amazon every so often. Right now there are 3 used copies on Amazon...the cheapest is going for $300, and the most expensive is going for $2500...though I can't see anybody paying these prices, no matter the quality of the music.

One Gud Cide released one more album, Contradictions, on Suave House in 1999 and then broke up, due allegedly to creative differences stemming from Twisted Black focusing on a solo career. In 2007, Black was sentenced to 30 years for conspiracy to sell crack; not that this has impeded his musical output. Seems like the dude releases a new mixtape once a year at least, and his latest album proper was recorded over the phone Mac Dre/X-Raided style.

Do yourself a favor and download this record. It's really, really good.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

those sample tracks are good as hell
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Ahh! Didn't know there had already been a TROY Blog post for this record...propers Markshot!
drizzle wrote:those sample tracks are good as hell
:cheers:

Convictin' It is the lick.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Here's the second album, Contradictions. Not on the same level as Look What the Streets Made imho, but still a very, very solid Texas rap record.

I had said, in my original post, that this album was released in 1999 on Suave House. Well, some further investigation shows that Scarred 4 Life released it first in 1997, and then again in 1999. Maybe Suave handled the distro for the second pressing? I'm not sure. The presence of Eightball on the record at least indicates the possibility of a more tangible Suave House connection, but I can't find any other evidence. Furthermore, according to Wikipedia, Contradictions was re-released by Down Low Records in 2001. There is, however, no entry for that particular pressing on Discogs. Who knows. At any rate, click the link for the audio. It's an old RS link, so I'm not sure how much longer it'll last.

1. Contradictions
2. Ride With Ya'll
3. White Girl
4. Terror In The Gulf 2
5. Scarred Pac (featuring Eightball)
6. Hell On Earth
7. Hogballin
8. Whatca Known Fo
9. Where Da G'z At
10. Down Here (featuring UGK)
11. Love And Hate
12. Bad Dreams
13. Imagine If
14. Systemized
15. Contradictions (Instrumental)
16. Hell On Earth
One Gud Cide - Contradictions

informer

Post by informer »

i think i never heard this, yo echo leader can you upload that first album again??

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

I'm pretty sure the original TROY post referenced above by Markshot still has a working link. If you've never heard this, I highly recommend changing that as soon as possible.

:icedit: Nevermind, I just checked it and it's dead. I have no home PC right now (my laptop shit the bed), so I'm afraid I can't help you...anyone else have this?

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

I downloaded it back in the fall when you originally posted it. Still haven't got to listening to it but intend to. I'm not sure how to upload but I have it if someone can explain.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Here's a 320 CBR MP3 version of the original '95 release:

http://www.sharebeast.com/xyufds8ci5dt

And here's a 192 CBR MP3 of the bonus track from the '96 version:

http://www.sharebeast.com/ndywk2x0455l

informer

Post by informer »

thanks big sleep..

Mr. J Selectah

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

This has always been my favourite track...too deep. It's two samples on the same track, it changes at 03:26.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O63bZ76QNe0?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O63bZ76QNe0?version=3&hl=pt_BR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
"You should let your man speak on your behalf, because when i let my blade slice, you'll just be half!"

Echo Leader

Re: One Gud Cide - Look What The Streets Made (Fort Worth, T

Post by Echo Leader »

Another forum I frequent yielded, in a roundabout way, some more information on Contradictions. There was a post on the forum concerning the "mega rare '97 OG" version of the album. When I was initially trying to track down info about the album, I checked 1 Gud Cide's Discogs page, and noticed they had two different version of the album; the 1997 version has 17 tracks and the 1999/2001 version is 16 tracks long, and each has a different cover. I guess I just assumed that the 1999/2001 "re-released" version had differently titled tracks and kept it moving. However, when I gave a precursory listen to the "'97 OG" version, I noticed that a gang of the tracks were completely different songs. Further investigation on Rap Music Guide indicates that the first press of Contradictions is a completely different record. After a unturning a few more stones, I found this Worthpoint page on which someone was selling a copy of the "' 97 OG." This is what they had to say:
The album that I am selling is the ORIGINAL PRESSING of Contradictions, NOT the 1999 or 2001 re-release of the album. Here are some of the differences between the 1997 original pressing and the later re-releases:

- You can tell this is the original release because it is dated '1997' on both the disc and the back cover. No other dates are shown.

- It was released on "Scarred 4 Life Records," the same label that released their other classic "Look What the Streets Made." This album was later re-released on Suave House Records (1999) and Down Low Records (2001).

- The 1997 artwork is completely different than the later re-releases.

- There is no UPC barcode or any other identifying code as this was very much an underground release sold only at local shows and mom & pop shops. This album did not have a distribution deal.

- There is no parental advisory. This is NOT a clean version. This album is unedited and contains explicit lyrics. This album was only distributed locally, so no parental advisory was necessary.

- Another difference is the track listing . The tracks are in a different order than that of the later re-releases. Also, later re-releases removed and added certain tracks. Due to the rarity of this 1997 original pressing, it is not listed on any official album databases.
So there you have it. The original version of Contradictions, released in 1997 on 1 Gud Cide's Scarred 4 Life imprint, and never released in retail format on a national level.

1. Hog Ball
2. Terror In The Gulf (featuring Coop M.C. & P.I.G.)
3. Contradictions
4. Keep It Crunk
5. Systemizes (featuring Stack)
6. White Girl (featuring Toy Box & Silky)
7. Where Dae At (featuring Minister & El-Dog)
8. Imagine
9. Who They Riding With (featuring Erotic D)
10. Hell On Earth
11. Who They Gone Judge (featuring Erotic D)
12. Edge Of Death (featuring B.O.D.)
13. Bad Dreams
14. Bury Me Or Burn Me (featuring Stack)
15. Tattle Tales
16. Block Busta Skitt
17. Akabaka Skitt
1 Gud Cide - Contradictions (1997 Original Version)

I'm pretty sure we now have all the material recorded by 1/One Gud Cide (with the exception of Twisted Black's solo albums, which aren't really all that, imo) in this thread.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

OK, NOW we have everything.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

damn, hate to be a hassle but would anybody mind reupping Look What The Streets Made? the snippets are dope but links are dead

dochiphop

Post by dochiphop »

good info about "Contradictions" cuz I never realized the versions were different.

If Echo Leader doesnt re-up "look what the streets made" I will do it soon... I have the OG version on CD.

scotth34

Post by scotth34 »

Can any one re up "look what the streets made" Thanks in advance

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

favorite song ever..

got turned on to them through noz and listened to both cds a lot.. both are bangin..
illegal mind shoe lace

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Finally got around to re-ups!

Look What the Streets Made (1995)

Contradictions (1997 OG release)

Contradictions (1999/2001 re-release)

:icedit: This is actually the '96 re-release of Look What the Streets Made, with the "Terror in the Gulf Coast" bonus track...I also added a YouTube rip of the tape-only bonus track "Let Me Have It" (it's the only version that exists on the internet), so I guess this is the "Ultimate Edition" of LWtSM.

dynamite looks

Post by dynamite looks »

Thanks for the re-up of the original Contradictions!