How much would you pay for a "rare piece?"

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Echo Leader

How much would you pay for a "rare piece?"

Post by Echo Leader »

That One Gud Cide post has me thinking: how much would you, or HAVE YOU, paid for a rare piece of music - be it vinyl, cd, or tape?

I ask because some of the prices I see online are absolutely ludicrous. Three that stand out in my mind: One Gud Cide - Look What The Streets Made ($300 - $2500), Critical Condition - CC Waterbound (I think the last cd copy I saw online was going for a couple bills at least), and Raekwon's purple tape (I made a thread about this a while ago; some dude was asking hundreds of dollars for an OG cassette copy of OB4CL).

Are people actually paying these prices?

The most I have ever paid for an OOP cd is $8.97 for a mint copy of Vagina Diner; I have also paid $20 each for old VHS copies of Turntable TV volumes 1 and 3, and the 1996 X-Men vs. Skratch Piklz tape.

What about y'all?

Go ahead and share; this thread is a safe place.

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

i never spend more than 5 on a 12"
I don't really buy CD's any more, but i would not spend more than 10 on one. It's nice to have physical copies of music you listen to in your collection, but if i can get it mp3'ed - especially in the case of a CD, there's no real need to spend a lot of money on items. Absolutely rare and highly sought after vinyl where only a few copies in mint condition are known to exist, i can see collectors spending a lot of money on that stuff.

Tapes that are available in a CD format with the same songs - but in better quality, you're tripping if you're spending mad money on a tape version over a CD version. But personally, no way i'm shelling out that much on something.

That ob4cl tape price is just nuts. What are you going to do when your walkman eats that up? God forbid you buy a cheap CD reissue :)

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I wouldn't consider spending anymore than $200-300 on a Hip Hop vinyl release nowadays mainly due to my change of priorities as an adult. Back in the 90's when I was going to record conventions more the thought crossed my mind to sell something just to buy an expensive record. For other forms of music pricing is higher for rare records at the record shows, but I still have the same considerations on what I'm willing and not willing to buy.

As an example of rare Hip Hop vinyl pricing, I think a place like Big City Records (formerly Sound Library NYC) has reasonable prices.

The last Hip Hop record I remember spending the most on was a mint copy of EPMD's Give The People 12" at $50 from a guy named King George who lives on GUn Hill Road in The Bronx.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

I collect for me, yet I am known to drop cash on wax I know there isn't a good rip out there of (i.e. D.N.T. - Flip Da Script EP) . I can assure you I am the minority in that regard.

With that said I love the hunt, there is a bent appeal of spending half a decade tracking something down.

There is an even greater appeal in being able to rip vinyl that others hoard like it will be impossible to find.

I have external hobbies that help me support this habit, so it doesn't usually affect my budget all that much, plus random lucky finds help every once in a while.

step one

Post by step one »

I rarely pay any type of significant money for vinyl these days. For me, half the fun of digging/collecting is finding shit for cheap.
I dont find too much I want these days so I might spend
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Mad Human

Post by Mad Human »

Not a fan of the CD's anyway. Maximum price i can pay for a wax is $ 100 - $ 150 depend on how much i like it. Love to buy cheap rare records but is not happening nowadays may be occasionally.
YOUTUBE RARE INDIES - http://www.youtube.com/user/MadHuman09

Thun

Post by Thun »

I'd pay $2,501.00 for a One Gud Cide record in a heart beat. It's the memories, and the knowledge that you are investing in one of the greatest hip hop records of all time, that makes it worth it. Who among us wouldn't give up anything to bring back the days of chilling on the stoop, clad in Carhartt and Timberland, puffing on blunts and drinking brews with the crew that's down for life, while blasting the classic boom bap of One Gud Cide?

step one

Post by step one »

Obviously, copping it when dropped >>> paying inflated prices years later
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Thun wrote:I'd pay $2,501.00 for a One Gud Cide record in a heart beat. It's the memories, and the knowledge that you are investing in one of the greatest hip hop records of all time, that makes it worth it. Who among us wouldn't give up anything to bring back the days of chilling on the stoop, clad in Carhartt and Timberland, puffing on blunts and drinking brews with the crew that's down for life, while blasting the classic boom bap of One Gud Cide?
Wicked wrote:And most of the true heads I know still buy vinyl as well. Cuz man, Hiphop and vinyl go hand in hand.
:face:

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Thun wrote:I'd pay $2,501.00 for a One Gud Cide record in a heart beat. It's the memories, and the knowledge that you are investing in one of the greatest hip hop records of all time, that makes it worth it. Who among us wouldn't give up anything to bring back the days of chilling on the stoop, clad in Carhartt and Timberland, puffing on blunts and drinking brews with the crew that's down for life, while blasting the classic boom bap of One Gud Cide?
Joke's on you Jack, memoriez are 4 fhagz.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

These days with family taking top priority, my record spending is at an all time low, but before I had kids, I'd been known to drop money on records.

I have a fair few Japanese pieces in my collection that would have cost me around about $100 at the time - Main Source 'Best Of...', Percee P's compilation album - and some that would have been a bit less - Pete Rock & CL Smooth Unreleased 12", etc.

I've also sold a few records for around $100 - $150, but was surprised to see an Australian Hip Hop 45 I donated to a charity auction hit over $200.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Echo Leader wrote:
Fhagz Wif X-Penzive Tayste, Nig.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Thun wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:
Fhagz Wif X-Penzive Tayste, Nig.
2shay.

OK, so no other input on this? I'm sure some of the Euro-lurkers have dropped serious loot on records...

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

I'm from New York, but I don't see the value in airing out how much we've spent on records.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Vinyl elitists and record nerds are just attention seekers that are paying ridiculous prices for records that are not even that good and just sit in their collection so they can brag about it to their buddy's on their elitist forums.

I would say the most I have ever spent was around $50.

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

Don't usually pay more than $10 bucks for singles or $20 for albums unless I know I probably won't see it again. Paid around $30 bucks for a cd copy of Real Live's Turnaround about 4 years ago, I think that's the most I've dropped.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Jaz wrote: I would say the most I have ever spent was around $50.
What for, if you don't mind?

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

at the moment i dont shell out big money for records anymore. i used to do it for a time a few years ago.
but i really don't buy any old hip hop anymore i feel that i basically got what i want there's nothing out there i desire anymore. buy some new stuff here and there if i like it.
i still buy other genres but have stopped paying high prices for those aswell. theres so much good stuff i find for a few bucks that its not necessary to shell out dough. i now have different hobbies beside record collecting and have found i'd much rather safe the money for travelling. that way i also find nice unknown records from all around the world for cheap

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Echo Leader wrote:
Jaz wrote: I would say the most I have ever spent was around $50.
What for, if you don't mind?
I do mind a great deal actually :lol: it was a replacement copy of Shadez of Brooklyn's first 12"

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MNdWXCStxJg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MNdWXCStxJg?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

which I had stolen a few years back and I left this at my Father's place so I never have it stolen again, I love that 12" and $45 was a lot to pay for it.
Last edited by Jaz on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I love the beat to that Shadez track. Takes me back.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, great record, b-side still wins imo, but both sides dope:
<object width="420" height="115"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_QzZQCs7VE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_QzZQCs7VE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="115" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
this one off their unreleased joints ep is probably their other best work, beats crazy raw:
<object width="420" height="115"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TYGg1h8CTLc?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TYGg1h8CTLc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="115" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Most i ever spent on vinyl was for the GFD Ill Funk Freaker EP and the Blackstract I Stole Your Girl 12.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Which unreleased joints EP? I know someone posted an unofficial compilation here... Did a good version of Shadez Diamond Mine ever get posted here? I have a 128k one.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

the pandemonium ep on chopped herring records

TONES

Post by TONES »

ILL SELL ALL MY CASSETTES RIGHT NOW FOR 50 A POP.
butta

Verge

Post by Verge »

Lol..

@shadowmaster: I'm not sure if Diamond Mine ever surfaced in better quality but i'll keep my eyes open.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Thanks Verge, I appreciate it, can you tell me what tracks were on that EP you mentioned and when it came out?

Verge

Post by Verge »

No prob man... here's a link to choppedherring who pressed it, all the info you need there:
http://www.choppedherringrecords.com/ca ... et_id=1622
IMO, "Nowadays" and "Everyday Life" are the winners.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Verge wrote:Lol..

@shadowmaster: I'm not sure if Diamond Mine ever surfaced in better quality but i'll keep my eyes open.
I have that 12" - can dub it in 320 if nobody else already has it...

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Thanks Verge, and Debonair_P, if you rip it that'd be great. I checked out the prices on discogs, I didn't even know it had been officially released, but I'm not allowing myself to spend that much for one song right now (edit-just remembered which thread this is- I have paid that much and maybe more for a song in the past but I can't justify it right now). It's a nice track, though...

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

I've paid up to $40 or $50 on hip-hop sides that I once owned and left behind (had a collection at college in Minnesota before moving to Massachusetts), but loot gets dropped on (mostly) jazz vinyl now, a-la Cosby, but increasingly less as the economy worsened. There are a few jawns I own that were purchased specifically for watershed events... I don;t really have much problem saying that I'm a music addict at this point, I could have bought a nice home and car a couple times over if I were to add up expenditures from age 13 on or so. I cannot help it. My dad was the same way, and his taste was far more eclectic, being a Brit-raised Nigerian.