How much would you pay for a "rare piece?"

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

It's all relative I suppose. Most of you shutter at spending $50 on a record when there are more than a handful of records that break the $1k mark whenever they come around (see Keefy Keef, Kool DJ AJ, Lonnie O, Concept of Alps, Tha Henchmen, Courageous Chief, etc.). :ohsh:

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

diggy64 wrote:It's all relative I suppose. Most of you shutter at spending $50 on a record when there are more than a handful of records that break the $1k mark whenever they come around (see Keefy Keef, Kool DJ AJ, Lonnie O, Concept of Alps, Tha Henchmen, Courageous Chief, etc.). :ohsh:
Yeah, but for a working-class slob like myself $50 is a tank full of gas or a week & a half's worth of groceries.

I see what you're saying, but as someone with real-world responsibilities like student and car loans, fuel & upkeep on said car, rent & utilities, cell phone bill, etc I could just never see spending $50 (or even $25) on a two-tracker.

I'd wager that the music doesn't even matter to most of the folks droppin' a grand on one piece of wax. It's like collecting baseball cards.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

I'm always curious as to the frame of reference. I doubt these records ever sit alongside records by Organized Konfusion, Main Source, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane, Diamond D., etc. which is a real shame. I believe the disconnect is becoming a two-headed monster, where random rap heads as well as post-1999 era fans are becoming increasing distant from the so-called "classic material" we all expect to be mainstays and timelessly relevant.

Black Moon - Enta Da Stage LP - $15
Hoodtop Madness 12" - $500

To be honest, I am content NOT owning many of the these more expensive pieces because I would be a hypocrite to not invest in backup/fresh copies on wax of say 'Paid In Full' or 'OB4CL' first.

However, I have acquaintances that know more about Blackstract then A Tribe Called Quest. Blows [nh] the mind... :naswtf:

grass

Post by grass »

Most I ever spent on a record was around 75$ each for the originalpressing for Showbiz & A.G - Runaway Slave and Maestro Fresh Wes - Naaah, This Kid Cant Be From Canada a couple of years ago.

Stayed away from the higher price league since then but last weekend I shelled out 75$ once again when I saw the Saukrates - Hate Runs Deep 12" on ebay.
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

$23.00 on a mint condition of Mac's 'World War III' on CD.

Only time I had ever physically seen it.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

$100 for VHS copies of New Music Seminar Superman Dj Battles 1990,1993 and 1992 and 1994. I had to have em' and as far as I'm concerned i got cut a Hell of a deal.

Verge

Post by Verge »

diggy64 wrote:I'm always curious as to the frame of reference. I doubt these records ever sit alongside records by Organized Konfusion, Main Source, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane, Diamond D., etc. which is a real shame. I believe the disconnect is becoming a two-headed monster, where random rap heads as well as post-1999 era fans are becoming increasing distant from the so-called "classic material" we all expect to be mainstays and timelessly relevant.

To be honest, I am content NOT owning many of the these more expensive pieces because I would be a hypocrite to not invest in backup/fresh copies on wax of say 'Paid In Full' or 'OB4CL' first.

However, I have acquaintances that know more about Blackstract then A Tribe Called Quest. Blows [nh] the mind... :naswtf:
Word, I hear ya.
Echo Leader wrote:
diggy64 wrote:It's all relative I suppose. Most of you shutter at spending $50 on a record when there are more than a handful of records that break the $1k mark whenever they come around (see Keefy Keef, Kool DJ AJ, Lonnie O, Concept of Alps, Tha Henchmen, Courageous Chief, etc.). :ohsh:
Yeah, but for a working-class slob like myself $50 is a tank full of gas or a week & a half's worth of groceries.
True indeed, me too.

I was in a bad depression for the last couple of years and was drinking every night and that was fucking up my bankroll depth perception something awful. I'm good now though but it's still tough to pass up on certain gems sometimes. Just gotta prioritize properly.
grass wrote:..but last weekend I shelled out 75$ once again when I saw the Saukrates - Hate Runs Deep 12" on ebay.
:shit:
Hah, I thought i had that one all boxed up cause nobody was bidding and it wasn't labeled "random" or "indy" or anything. I really have no business spending anything at all on records nowadays anyways. Glad you got yourself a copy, enjoy.

step one

Post by step one »

diggy64 wrote:I'm always curious as to the frame of reference. I doubt these records ever sit alongside records by Organized Konfusion, Main Source, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane, Diamond D., etc. which is a real shame. I believe the disconnect is becoming a two-headed monster, where random rap heads as well as post-1999 era fans are becoming increasing distant from the so-called "classic material" we all expect to be mainstays and timelessly relevant.

Those 90s standards like the Diamond/Pete Rock/Large Pro joints all used to go for a lot of money (some still do) but for the most part have been bootlegged and repressed and most people that want them have them by now so the value drops a bit. Now its the more obscure stuff that commands money as its harder to come by. The value isnt relative to the quality of the music. Some of my favourite records are pretty worthless in terms of collectability.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

word..still after that ill al skratch - dr feelgood promo

Thun

Post by Thun »

How come whenever I point these realities out, everyone here menstruates?

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

I don't think anyone likes being told what he/she should like. However I tend to agree that alot of the so-called random rap nerds tends to associate price (and rarity) with quality.

With that said I think it is less interesting to others when you mention you purchased Redman's Muddy Waters LP. However, if you mention you bought a copy of Massive of Brooklyn's EP from 1993, people have a more visceral reaction. For good or ill, that's how it has evolved.

Remember also that there is money to be had flipping these records. As a result, hype and overpricing will be the norm (if there is a market to support it).

Some records I feel justify their high prices:

Corner 2 Corner - Anyday 12"
Brainsick - Mixmaster USA 12"
Bee Why - The Boros 12"
4th Quarter - C-Notes and Grants
Derelect Camp - Prillz bw Hold On 12"
S.O.P. - Styles bw Bok Bok 12"

Feel free to add on.

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

Galvatron78 wrote:$100 for VHS copies of New Music Seminar Superman Dj Battles 1990,1993 and 1992 and 1994. I had to have em' and as far as I'm concerned i got cut a Hell of a deal.

bro i was selling these a little over a year ago on here for about $20 each

defintely rare finds

the Superman battles are hard to come by
i wish i transferred my copies to dvd before i sold them
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

Weekend Warrior
Location: SF Bay Area, CA >wicked22@aol.com< >www.MHzRadio.com< >twitter.com/BayAreaWicked<

Post by Weekend Warrior »

Bein that I been buyin Hiphop tapes, vinyl and cd's since the 80s, it's RARE that I'll ever pay more then $20 for somethin cuz chances are, I already own it and most likely bought it around the time it was released. But these days and for the last few years with all these new small labels and artists, groups & producers diggin into their vaults, we as vinyl consumers have no choice but to spend $30-80 for a new limited vinyl release. I was against it for the first couple of years and then I had no choice but to give in. Aside from pre-ordering new limited vinyls all the time now, there have been TWO that I had no choice and had to pay a little over $100 for... the first was the Godfather Don ILL FUNK FREAKER EP and the second was the O.C. BONUS EP... both of which were not records anyone could have ordered. I had no choice.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

diggy64 wrote:I don't think anyone likes being told what he/she should like. However I tend to agree that alot of the so-called random rap nerds tends to associate price (and rarity) with quality.

With that said I think it is less interesting to others when you mention you purchased Redman's Muddy Waters LP. However, if you mention you bought a copy of Massive of Brooklyn's EP from 1993, people have a more visceral reaction. For good or ill, that's how it has evolved.

Remember also that there is money to be had flipping these records. As a result, hype and overpricing will be the norm (if there is a market to support it).

Some records I feel justify their high prices:

Corner 2 Corner - Anyday 12"
Brainsick - Mixmaster USA 12"
Bee Why - The Boros 12"
4th Quarter - C-Notes and Grants
Derelect Camp - Prillz bw Hold On 12"
S.O.P. - Styles bw Bok Bok 12"

Feel free to add on.
what does the Bee Why-"The Boros" go for these days?

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Thun wrote:

How come whenever I point these realities out, everyone here menstruates?
completely agree.

but i guess when you have all that stuff and money isnt that much of an issue. also there is this competition thing and i guess for some its an ego booster.

Pontius Pilate

Post by Pontius Pilate »

I paid $120 for the The Cenobites ג€“ Demented Thoughts EP 12".

That was a good purchase. Pretty good condition.

http://www.discogs.com/Cenobites-Dement ... se/1391577

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Verge

Post by Verge »

[quote="Jaz"]http://www.discogs.com/Def-City-Raw-4-B ... se/2953012

Sold on ebay for $810.00/

Weekend Warrior
Location: SF Bay Area, CA >wicked22@aol.com< >www.MHzRadio.com< >twitter.com/BayAreaWicked<

[quote="Verge"][quote="Jaz"]http://www.discogs.com/Def-City-Raw-4-B ... se/2953012

Sold on ebay for $810.00/

nobs

Post by nobs »

fatboybrandon wrote:I wouldn't consider spending anymore than $200-300 on a Hip Hop vinyl release nowadays mainly due to my change of priorities as an adult. Back in the 90's when I was going to record conventions more the thought crossed my mind to sell something just to buy an expensive record. For other forms of music pricing is higher for rare records at the record shows, but I still have the same considerations on what I'm willing and not willing to buy.

As an example of rare Hip Hop vinyl pricing, I think a place like Big City Records (formerly Sound Library NYC) has reasonable prices.

The last Hip Hop record I remember spending the most on was a mint copy of EPMD's Give The People 12" at $50 from a guy named King George who lives on GUn Hill Road in The Bronx.

DaMN. King George got over on you.

Weekend Warrior

fatboybrandon wrote:The last Hip Hop record I remember spending the most on was a mint copy of EPMD's Give The People 12" at $50 from a guy named King George who lives on GUn Hill Road in The Bronx.
What the fuck?! What person in their right mind would spend $50 for THAT fuckin record??? I'd spend maybe $5, tops. And funny thing is, I found a 2nd copy SEALED for $3.99 about 4 years ago out here in the Bay Area.

$50. hahaha What a joke!. You got ripped off BIG TIME!!

nobs

Post by nobs »

Weekend Warrior wrote:
fatboybrandon wrote:The last Hip Hop record I remember spending the most on was a mint copy of EPMD's Give The People 12" at $50 from a guy named King George who lives on GUn Hill Road in The Bronx.
What the fuck?! What person in their right mind would spend $50 for THAT fuckin record??? I'd spend maybe $5, tops. And funny thing is, I found a 2nd copy SEALED for $3.99 about 4 years ago out here in the Bay Area.

King George is notoriously overpriced and his condition is pretty awful. dude has 3 houses just full of records and i don't think i have ever bought more than 5 things from him in my life...

that EPMD is a $1 record

Weekend Warrior

nobs wrote:King George is notoriously overpriced and his condition is pretty awful. dude has 3 houses just full of records and i don't think i have ever bought more than 5 things from him in my life...

that EPMD is a $1 record
Why would anyone buy anything from that clown then??? I hate people who over-price shit and RIP people off. *shaking head*

And although I disagree about it bein a $1 record, I get your point. haha Like I said, I'd never pay more then $5 and it would have to be MINT!

And I really don't understand ANYONE who spends a lot of money on records unless you're rich and money is not an issue for you. People are crazy.

nobs

Post by nobs »

He's been on the NY scene for a long time. he buys so many records there's always shit to be found there but it's just hard dealing. A lot of titles that went for loot back in the day are still priced high. Tribe 12"s still like $20 haha

Weekend Warrior

nobs wrote:He's been on the NY scene for a long time. he buys so many records there's always shit to be found there but it's just hard dealing. A lot of titles that went for loot back in the day are still priced high. Tribe 12"s still like $20 haha
It's funny you say that cuz I notice that with most OG heads, they're stuck back then and they price shit way too high like that. There's a few smaller mom & pop type record stores here in the Bay Area with old guys that do that shit. It's funny cuz I'll come up on Indy shit with no name recognition to them and I'll get it for a few bucks when places like Discogs says it sells for $30-60. I'm not the type to sell records like that so once I have my doubles, I leave that shit for another head to find.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

nobs wrote:
Weekend Warrior wrote:

King George is notoriously overpriced and his condition is pretty awful. dude has 3 houses just full of records and i don't think i have ever bought more than 5 things from him in my life...

that EPMD is a $1 record
Please sell me a copy for a $1 then nobs. :cheers:

nobs

Post by nobs »

Jaz wrote:
nobs wrote:
Weekend Warrior wrote:

that EPMD is a $1 record
Please sell me a copy for a $1 then nobs. :cheers:
i would if i found ANY NY rap down here in Texas haha

rt7

Post by rt7 »

my most expensive record is PMC - Be Intelligent which I've bought from the DWG headz directly. But it's worth it because the collectors price raised x4

I have a simple rule: If I find a record from my want list at 1/3 of the collectors price I think about buying it. Now what's the collectors price? Its a range of recent sales prices (f.e. discogs, ebay, online stores) plus an average of popsike entries.

Makes sense ::: ? ;)

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

rt7 wrote:my most expensive record is PMC - Be Intelligent which I've bought from the DWG headz directly. But it's worth it because the collectors price raised x4

I have a simple rule: If I find a record from my want list at 1/3 of the collectors price I think about buying it. Now what's the collectors price? Its a range of recent sales prices (f.e. discogs, ebay, online stores) plus an average of popsike entries.

Makes sense ::: ? ;)
I hear you about making good buys, but how long is that record gonna be sitting on the shelf?

That buck that bought a 12" could have struck the lotto.