How much would you pay for a "rare piece?"

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

AlienNationRadio

Post by AlienNationRadio »

We paid Ganjah-K a few bills for the "Harvest for the World" master DATs.

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

AlienNationRadio wrote:We paid Ganjah-K a few bills for the "Harvest for the World" master DATs.
Which means you're supposed to release it soon...?

king beef

Post by king beef »

Tree Fifty!

tapehead

LET'S TALK ABOUT SHILL BIDDING..

Post by tapehead »

What I would really like to discuss is SHILL BIDDERS. :killacam:

Once I find out a seller is shill bidding, I do my best to avoid their auctions altogether. If I do decide to bid, it will definitely be a lower amount.

I wanted to start a new thread on this subject, as I believe it is highly relevant to a lot of people who read this forum. However, my post count is not high enough. If you (mods?) feel this topic deserves it's own thread, please create one.

Have you ever suspected that a seller was bidding on their own items? :spidey:

Lately I have seen people spending $100's and even $1000's of $ bidding against definite confirmed shill bidders, and I feel that the dedicated collectors here on Phila need to be warned.

This topic does not seem to get much discussion on music forums. Does anybody even care? Is it because so many sellers are doing it and nobody wants to get retaliated against or exposed themselves??

I have never publically exposed any of the shill bidders I've discovered, but am now considering as it is getting to be a huge problem.
Have you been duped by a shill bidder? :poke: Before you pay that astronomical invoice, wouldn't you like to know?

dirtywaters

Post by dirtywaters »

I paid around $80 for a copy of both '24 carat black' and 'eugene mcdanields headless heroes.' It wasn't a bad deal IMO, I sold the 24 carat last year for around $230 and still have the Headless Heroes. I think the most I ever spent on a hip hop record was like $35 for Vagina Diner promo LP and I think around the same for Kurious' LP

diggy64

Re: LET'S TALK ABOUT SHILL BIDDING..

Post by diggy64 »

tapehead wrote:What I would really like to discuss is SHILL BIDDERS. :killacam:

Once I find out a seller is shill bidding, I do my best to avoid their auctions altogether. If I do decide to bid, it will definitely be a lower amount.

I wanted to start a new thread on this subject, as I believe it is highly relevant to a lot of people who read this forum. However, my post count is not high enough. If you (mods?) feel this topic deserves it's own thread, please create one.

Have you ever suspected that a seller was bidding on their own items? :spidey:

Lately I have seen people spending $100's and even $1000's of $ bidding against definite confirmed shill bidders, and I feel that the dedicated collectors here on Phila need to be warned.

This topic does not seem to get much discussion on music forums. Does anybody even care? Is it because so many sellers are doing it and nobody wants to get retaliated against or exposed themselves??

I have never publically exposed any of the shill bidders I've discovered, but am now considering as it is getting to be a huge problem.
Have you been duped by a shill bidder? :poke: Before you pay that astronomical invoice, wouldn't you like to know?
1. Shill bidders are protected by Ebay (anonymity, bid retractions, etc.)
2. People want the item bad enough they accept it
3. People are ignorant (if you could have obtained it privately outside of Ebay, you probably would have)
4. Burden of proof lies with the victim

Yes I have been the victim of shill bidding in the past although there is very little options outside of having the seller re-list the item (with the possibility of it selling for more) or not bidding at all based on the seller's reputation. Aggravating to say the least. My advice is get to know sellers and traders and leverage them whenever possible. The community really isn't all that vast, although sellers would like you to believe otherwise.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

or go out to buy your stuff.
i haven't bought on ebay in years. and ecept if there was a record i just couldn't get my hands on in real life i'd consider using it again. but that would mean shelling out and i'd accept it. i bought there in the past and learned i almost always paid more than if i had been patient. that's unless you really live isolated

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, I'd say that probably averages about $80 in recent years so thats double but it's a sealed copy and some people will pay a shitload more for anything sealed. My boy back in the day had it, I love the beat for "Representing". Do you have this record Jaz? Just asking because I wanna know if that horn on "Mischief Night" is just terribly mixed way louder than the other samples or if it's just the rip thats online that sounds like that. It's a great horn but damn its obnoxious as fuck, ruins the song for me.
<object width="420" height="65"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yZsHZuz6QJI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yZsHZuz6QJI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="65" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I hear you Verge, still a high price if you ask me, I am willing to bet that some old store has a few of them in storage out there.

I don't have the record personally, but I got a good quality rip from Crime Family and don't hear the horn, I put it up on the CRDS Radio Soundcloud page today too.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

@verge
yeah they messed up that song in the mixing process i guess..i ripped it with disabled EQ as i always do and the horn is so fuckin loud

CrimeFamily

Post by CrimeFamily »

yeah jaz that's search4beatz rip i gave you, quality is great imo as all his rips

badboy4life

Re: How much would you pay for a "rare piece?"

Post by badboy4life »

most i ever paid for a item was biggies uptown tape for over $300. my highest bid however was $800 for a lox demo tape.http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/280 ... tte_WORLOX i bid that much to make sure i won but still lost. had that person not outbid me i would of won it for about $200. that person won multiple tapes that day spending thousands of dollars.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

your nickname isn't a lie :D

Dusty Fingers

Re:

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Thun wrote:I'd pay $2,501.00 for a One Gud Cide record in a heart beat. It's the memories, and the knowledge that you are investing in one of the greatest hip hop records of all time, that makes it worth it. Who among us wouldn't give up anything to bring back the days of chilling on the stoop, clad in Carhartt and Timberland, puffing on blunts and drinking brews with the crew that's down for life, while blasting the classic boom bap of One Gud Cide?
Nothing wrong with it. But this guy MUST be white.
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

More mainstream type stuff but i paid 50.00 for an advance copy of the deadly venoms "pretty thugs" album and about the same for ras kass "van gogh" mastered advance cd