Miles Davis & Easy Mo Bee - "DOO BOP" ('91)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

claaa7

Miles Davis & Easy Mo Bee - "DOO BOP" ('91)

Post by claaa7 »

01. "Mystery"
02. "The Doo Bop Song" (Ft. Easy Mo Bee, J.R. & AB-Money)
03. "Chocolate Chip"
04. "High Speed Chase"
05. "Blow" (Ft. Easy Mo Bee)
06. "Sonya"
07. Fantasy" (Ft. Easy Mo Bee)
08. "Duke Booty"
09. "Mystery" [Reprise]
Similiar to his experiments in the mid-'70s, the late '80s saw him becoming more and more intrigued by the expanding hip-hop movement that was now the new big thing on the streets. With Davis' love for African music and heavy rhythm there was only a question of time before he had to fully embrace this new black movement. Between 1988 and '89 his friend Quincy Jones put together an album titled "Back On The Block" which gave the opportunity for Miles to work with Big Daddy Kane and Kool Moe Dee. on the song "Jazz Corners Of The World". This was only a small taste of what was to come though. The great musician passed away in late 1991 but before that he recorded one last project which happened to be a full-length collaboration with up-and-coming hip-hop producer Easy Mo Bee. One story goes that Davis was sitting in his apartment with the windows open, hearing the sounds of rap music blasting on the streets below his home and he instinctively know that it was the direction he wanted to take for his next project. When calling up his friend Russel Simmons and requesting him to hook Davis up with some young musicians able to create that sound he was introduced to Easy Mo Bee whom he instantly foun a connection with. Another story goes that Miles had heard Mo Bee's work on The Genius' "The Words From the Genius" and was so impressed that he had to work with him.

Whatever the circumstanses leading up to this collaboration was, the resulting music was incredible and released in early 1992 as "Doo Bop". The LP was made up of typical early '90s hip-hop beats based around chopped up samples and heavy on bass and rhythm allowing Miles to absolutely blow his ass off and proving to any naysayer that he was still just as fierce on the trumpet as ever. Besides Mo Bee and Davis, about half of the tracks also features uncredited live keyboards by Deron Johnson and three of the eight songs had Easy Mo Bee and his original crew Rappin' is Fundamental spitting a few verses. This was the only real flaw of the LP if you ask me; not that it's not a good idea to put emcee tracks on there but the producer and his friends J.R. and AB-Soul are just not good or entertaining rappers and each of those three songs had been a lot more interesting as instrumentals (compare the title track's instrumental in the link below to the one you can hear in the video to get my point).

The fourty minutes LP features 8 songs and a reprise of the slick opening joint; six of which Davis worked on in the studio with the young producer and two additional tracks that Easy Mo Bee composed around previously unreleased trumpet solos following Miles passing. Even those two remixes are very much in the same key as the other music and I would imagine Davis would've been very pleased with them both. "Doo Bop" won the award for Best R&B Instrumental Album at the 1993 Grammy awards and sold close to gold (it was around 300,000 copies a year after its original release but it could very well be a lot higher now). If you're into '90s hip-hop and not-so-traditional jazz this is defnitely an album for you and I also believe that it would be a good starting point for hip-hop fans that want to get a glimpse into the music of one of the greatest artists of our time.

BONUS TRACKS:
Miles Davis - "Doo Bop" (Instrumental)

Quincy Jones Ft. Miles Davis, Big Daddy Kane & Kool Moe Dee - "Jazz Corners of the World"
[/img]
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

Cheers
hadn't heard this in a long time
Last edited by fortuna on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

thanks for this

Versive

Post by Versive »

Shit, I never even knew about this. Thanks!

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

Big ups for this one. I heard Easy Mo say in an interview that the GZA joint that made him want to do hip hop was True Fresh MC.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^ thanks for the info Brokewax, I didn't know that!! i think both stories are correct because i remember reading interview with Miles about him hearing the sounds of rap music down on the streets below his window which made him contact his friend Russel Simmons to ask to introduce him to some young producers who could create that sound. once he met Easy Mo Bee he just clicked and according to them both they had a great chemistry in the studio and became friends. i would guess that either Ez-Mo-B or Simmons showed a few tracks from each producer and "True Fresh MC" was one of the joints that really made him take notice of the young beatmaker.

Miles interest for hip-hop came to fruition years before he recorded "Doo Bop" though; the Quincy Jones/Davis/Big Daddy Kane/Kool Moe Dee i posted as a bonus is from '89 and

the text in the first post is just an excerpt of a longer article i wrote on The Lost Tapes (www.claaa7.blogspt.com) called "MILES DAVIS & HIP-HOP" that also has the "Doo Bop" video and a 20 minute excerpt from "On the Corner", a pioneering album in breakbeat music and drum'n'bass/hip-hop. check it out if y'all found this original post interested.

glad you like this thread, Miles Davis is one of my favorite artists - all categories!

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

kartman

Post by kartman »

Thanks for the extra tracks claaa7!
If anybody wants the album in good quality and can't find it, send me a pm and I'll rip&upload the cd.

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

Thanks Claa. This is a dope album, but I remember when it came out being a little disappointed as I thought it could have been better. I think Easy Mo Bee hadn't fully come into his own as a producer yet, and this wasn't him at his best. (In other words, his later production was doper and more sophisticated to me.)

But this is regardless a hip-hop classic, and that track "The Mystery" is just mind-blowingly dope, one of my all-time favorites.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

i've been specifically asked not to post links that can only be downloaded via my blog so i'm posting the original Mediafire links here instead. but if you like what you hear please check me out @ The Lost Tapes too where you can also read the article for the comps (link in sig).

i'm a big fan of jazz and of course a big fan of hip-hop and albums like the first Buckshot LeFonque, "Doo Bop" and "Jazzmatazz" always intrigued me. I decided to put together a series of compilation called "Evolution Of the Groove" which i thought came out amazing - especially volume one and i think alot of heads on here will like these. check them out:
01 .Donald Byrd - "Stepping Into Tomorrow" [Madlib Remix]
02. Donald Byrd - "Think Twice" [J Dilla Version]
03. Charlie Mingus - "II B.S." [RZA's Mingus Bounce Mix]
04. Miles Davis - "Freedom Jazz Dance" [Remix] (Ft. NaS & Olu Dara)
05. A Tribe Called Quest - "Verses From The Abstract" (Ft. Ron Carter)
06. Brother Jack McDuff - "Oblighetto" [J Dilla Remix]
07. Grant Green - "Down Here On The Groun" [The Ummah Remix]
08. Ronnie Foster - "Summer Song [Diamond D Remix]"
09. Bobbi Humphrey - "Young Waarrior [Madlib Remix]
10. Branford Marsalis/DJ Premier - "Breakfast @ Denny's"
11. Cal Tjader - "Minority [Large Professor Remix]"
12. Miles Davis - "Black Satin [DJ Krush Remix]"
13. Charlie Parker - "Bebop (Live At The Rooftoop) [Remix]" (Ft. RZA)
14. Cannonball Adderley - "Bohemia in the Dark [Diamond D Remix]"
15. GURU - "Timeless" (Ft. Herbie Hancock)
16. Gang Starr/Branford Marsalis - "Jazz Thing" [Extended Instrumental]
01. DJ Premier Ft. Branford Marsalis - "Some Shit @ 78 BPM (The Scratch Opera)"
02. Miles Davis - "The Doo Bop Song" [Instrumental prod. by Easy Mo Bee]
03. GURU Ft. Donald Byrd - "Loungin'"
04. Curtis Fuller - "Five Spot After Dark" [Ali Shaheed Muhammad Remix]
05. Duke Jordan - "Night in Tunisia" [DJ Jazzy Jeff Remix]
06. Gene Harris & The Three Sounds - "Slim's Return" [Madlib Remix]
07. De La Soul/Prince Paul Ft. Maceo Parker - "I Be Blowin'"
08. Herbie Hancock - "This Is It" (Ft. The X-Ecutioner's Rob Swift]
09. GURU Ft. Ramsey Lewis & Bahamadia - "Repsect The Architect" [Buckwild Remix]
10. Buckshot LeFonque Ft. Lady Of Rage - "Blackwidow"
11. Q-Tip a/k/a Kamaal The Abstract - "Abstractions" (Ft. Kenny Garett)
12. Philadelphia Experiment (?uestlove, Uri Cane & Christian McBride) - "Grover"
13. Donald Byrd - "Lansanas's Priestess" [DJ Spinna Remix]
14. Quincy Jones Ft. Big Daddy Kane, Kool Moe Dee & Miles Davis - "Jazz Corners"
15. Buckshot LeFonque - "Music Evolution" [DJ Premier Remix]
16. The Roots Ft. Steve Coleman & Rufus Harley - "Do You Want More?!!?!"

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

great stuff