Monsta Island Czars Appreciation Thread

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Versive

Post by Versive »

Knowbody wrote:
Versive wrote:Never mind from the fact that the M.I.C. collective has had so many members; each of them has multiple monikers. If someone could put together a list of all the past/current members and their aliases that'd be helpful for people just now finding out about them.
Made that list a few years back, so a few additions are needed I guess:

"Old" M.I.C.-Crew (see the Escape from Monsta Island album):
- MF Doom aka King Geedorah aka King Ghidra aka The Super Villain aka Zev Love X aka Metal Fingers aka Viktor Vaughn (Daniel Dumile)
- MF Grimm aka GM Grimm aka Superstar Jet Jaguar (Percy Carey)
- Gigan
- Kamackeris aka K.D. aka Kwite Def
- King Cesar aka X-Ray aka GM Web D (Raymond Davis)
- Kong aka Kongcrete
- Spiega
- Megalon aka Tommy Gunn (Thomas N. Rollins)
- Rodan aka Dr. Moreau (A. Ford)

Without an appearance on the Escape from Monsta Island album:
- Lord Smog (he was described as a M.I.C. Member at the Special Herbs & Spices album)
- Wayne-O (was described as a M.I.C. member on MF Grimm's Scars & Memories) (W. Brown)
- Yves St. Larock (died years back)

"New" M.I.C.-members (most of them were describes as M.I.C. members on MF Grimm's American Hunger album):
- Junclassic aka Gabarah (L. Lewis) (I think he does not call himself still a member)
- Bahton da Invizabul Mang aka MF Bash aka Invisible Man (Sebastian Rosset) (I think he already left again)
- Meccagodzilla aka Ravage aka R.A.V.A.G.E. aka aka Restoring Artistic Vision And Growth Everywhere aka Ryu Black (M. Dottin)
- Destroyah aka MF Mez aka Mez (Juro Davis) (I think he left as well)
- Majesty aka Gamma-Ra (D. Sanchez) (I think he left as well)
- Monsta x aka Ntrospekt (K. Sise) (I think he left as well)
- 9th Scientist

member status not clarified (for me):
- Ray Long
- MF Goon aka Lordwillin
- Kurious aka Biolante (Jorge Alvarez)
- CX Kidtronik
- Subroc (Dingilizwe Dumile) (MF Doom's brother that already died, I would say he was just a part of KMD but not the M.I.C.)

To see releases of the individual members check out:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Monsta+Island+Czars
(not complete although)
Wow, I thought I knew of most of them, never heard of like half. Thanks

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

The new MIC stuff that I have heard is not that great. Pretty sure that all those dudes are just Grimm's boys who sport the Monsta Island nametag simply because of the Grimm affiliation. I recently listened to the MF Bash and MF Mez albums and only got a couple of tracks in. No disrespect to the dead but the MF Bash album is actually pretty terrible. It's got like three Son Doobie features on it which is cool I guess, but for the most part the beats all sound like the pre-loaded demos on a cheap Casio and Bash really wasn't that great of a rapper. The MF Mez album just uninspired-sounding and quite frankly, boring as hell. Not really trying to fuck with it. The Monsta X mixtape is kinda ok I guess, it's mostly short songs over previously released tracks by Madvillain and Lady Gaga (:naswtf: at that one). Haven't listened to the Junclassic albums yet but I hear a lot of dude's material is 90's boom-bap throwback shit, which I can't really be mad at.

I would recommend sticking with the OGs: Ghidra, Jet Jaguar, Kong, Rodan, Gigan, Megalon, X-Ray/Darc Mind, Spiega, and Kwite Def. The once exception I would make is for Ravage; that MeccaGodZilla vs. Bond Soundclash album is great and his beats don't suck.

foobar

Post by foobar »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YPFU5xqgoPk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YPFU5xqgoPk?version=3&hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Weird shit :gyeah:

Tracklist:
[01] Squeaky Clean |02:10|
[02] Tiger Music |03:01|
[03] God Is Listening |03:29|
[04] I Wasn't Ready |03:02|
[05] Pretty Toni |04:09|
[06] Bee Collector |03:03|
[07] Bosslady |04:01|
[08] Duck Sauce |04:18|
[09] eFromBrooklyn |03:04|
[10] Kirk Franklin |01:50|
[11] Myspace Sensitivity |03:48|
[12] The Heineken |02:41|
[13] Uptown Piff |01:41|
[14] Mott's Interlude |01:07|
[15] Snares Rmx |04:33|
[16] The Promo |02:59|

Produced Entirely by l8sho and released on Classified Recordings LLC on October 21 2008. Garnered a LOT of press and was featured in various magazines and websites worldwide.

http://rapidshare.com/files/160782876/J ... AGEMP3.rar

I saw some Junclasic material in the thread but didn't see this one.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Echo Leader wrote: No disrespect to the dead but the MF Bash album is actually pretty terrible.
hahaha bash is my dude, he isn't actually dead, he just told everyone he was dead in some sort of weird sociological experiment. He did another record after the Floodz called REVENGE OF DA HOLLOWMAN which had some better production. I think the first record was a lot of beats Sam Sever just had lying around. but either way heres a couple obscure tracks of his, if you peep the dates you can see hes been putting out records forever.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1290048847/BASH.rar

1. Can I Eat (produced by Ad-Rock)
-from the Too Many Questions EP (2003)
2. Terrachrome (produced by Ad-Rock)
-from the Revenge of da Hollowman LP (2009)
3. Tonight's Show feat Grimm & Lord Smog (produced by MF Doom)
-from the Special Herbs + Spices Vol. 1 LP (2004)
4. Walkdatshit
-Unreleased
5. Body Drop feat Lodeck & Saj Supreme (produced by Dub-L)
-from the Derived From Empty Bottles LP (2006)
6. More Cheese featuring True (produced by Sam Sever & Jonathan Hoffman)
-from the More Cheese 12" (1997)
7. Two Bad Brovas featuring True (produced by Sam Sever & Jonathan Hoffman)
-from the More Cheese 12" (1997)
8. Poison In The Envelope (DOOM diss) (produced by DJ Crucial??)
-Unreleased (2009)

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

oh and Lord Smog is Lord Scotch 79, aka KEO famed NYC graffiti writer from the XMEN

also the guy who made DOOM's first mask

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

thank you, but i get a corruption error when trying to extract. dl'ed twice too.
:roll:

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Echo Leader wrote: I would recommend sticking with the OGs: Ghidra, Jet Jaguar, Kong, Rodan, Gigan, Megalon, X-Ray/Darc Mind, Spiega, and Kwite Def. The once exception I would make is for Ravage; that MeccaGodZilla vs. Bond Soundclash album is great and his beats don't suck.
Cosign, if we were to make a best of comp, it should only be for those mentioned above. Maybe leave out the MIC album (as it's all essential and should be owned in it's entirety) and try to come up with a list of the best album songs, and one-off songs, from the core members.

Junclassic isn't bad from what I've heard, but he's never inspired me to DL one of his solo albums, same with Ravage on that tip for me.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

That Kong EP link isn't working for me, anyone else got one?

shit, never mind. Got it to work.
Last edited by unclebengi on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Versive

Post by Versive »

atlantiswasreal wrote:
thank you, but i get a corruption error when trying to extract. dl'ed twice too.
:roll:
Yeah, I got that too. It's just track 10. The rest seems alright.

Versive

Post by Versive »

House of Games wrote:
Echo Leader wrote: No disrespect to the dead but the MF Bash album is actually pretty terrible.
hahaha bash is my dude, he isn't actually dead, he just told everyone he was dead in some sort of weird sociological experiment.
:lol: I'm dead.

Verge

Post by Verge »

yeah, same with that corrupt file for me, thats that old mediafire shit. every once in a while its gonna happen.

Good breakdown Echo, I kinda figured that was the deal.

And now i remember that Junclassic name, big ole marble mouthed tone loc lookin guy. Not dissin though, he's got good 90s type beat selection. There was one recent one that i really liked the beat a lot.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EslaLdWmbIw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EslaLdWmbIw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

really nothing to do with MIC though, at least it don't sound or look like it, imo.

J_Preme

Post by J_Preme »

KD - Kwite Def EP (2002, Mindbenda Rec.)

Tracklisting

1. Eye For An Eye
2. Mock Necks feat. Lil E
3. Madd World
4. Quality Of Life
5. What's The Deal

Code: Select all

http://weepax.com/ked
Kwite Def-Quality Of Life b/w What's The Deal?-VLS-1997

Tracklist

1 Quality Of Life (Xplicit)
2 Quality Of Life (Radio Edit)
3 What's The Deal? (Xplicit)
4 Quality Of Life (Instrumental)

Code: Select all

http://weepax.com/keZ
**UPDATED 10-8-12**
Last edited by J_Preme on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verge

Post by Verge »

X Ray is selling a few things that are in this thread on discogs and will autograph by request:
http://www.discogs.com/seller/xraydamindbenda

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

Hi Fam, make sure u got the Junclassic Dub Md South saviour LP. Will upload it if anybody wants it, got some nice DJ Husky beats, plus a genuine J-Zone exclusive

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

Here is what we need to proceed in the thread

94-d-u-m-e-Ep
kamackeris artz and craftz (dead link)
Gigan - In Serch Of (dead link)
Kong-Gorilla Warfare EP (dead link)

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

There u go, freshly uploaded

Some quick infos about the LP
1 - Raps over beats u already know, Rick Rubin, Neptunes, etc...
2 - Ultra weird "featuring" with Bob Marley....
3 - An interesting J-Zone prod, not the best one, but a good one nonetheless
4 - A daring ultra pop beat over Joe Esposito's "The best around" from Karate kid

You've been warned

http://depositfiles.com/files/vo5nj3mih

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

Since u sleep on the thread, got to refresh it, peep the uploaded album above

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

anybody got info on RODANS ~AMERIKKKAN INQUISITION MIXTAPE~

Tracklist:
1. PROTEUS (INTRO)
2. GOTHAM
3. MONEY & FOOD
4. PRECOGNITION
5. TERROR_DAT_KILLZ {PTERODACTYL}
6. MEMORIAL
7. 3RD I
8. METAL HYDROGEN
9. DARK ANGEL
10. HOLIDAY BASH
11. GRAND INQUISITOR
12. RONOMICAL
13. URANIUM
14. RUN THE SPHERE V.2012
15. SARAH PALEWHORE
16. CROCODILES
17. DEFINITIVE ARTICLE
18. WARPSPEED
19. B.O.M.Z. {BACK ON MY ZENITH}
20. PROMETHEUS {OUTRO}

i need this in my life.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Thereallex wrote:Here is what we need to proceed in the thread

94-d-u-m-e-Ep
It IS sold out but FLACs can still be purchased at their bandcamp.
http://dopefolksrecords.bandcamp.com/al ... d-u-m-e-ep

here's a lower quality rip from the FTD boys:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9qv6mgzn3ecuvty

Versive

Post by Versive »

unclebengi wrote:
Echo Leader wrote: I would recommend sticking with the OGs: Ghidra, Jet Jaguar, Kong, Rodan, Gigan, Megalon, X-Ray/Darc Mind, Spiega, and Kwite Def. The once exception I would make is for Ravage; that MeccaGodZilla vs. Bond Soundclash album is great and his beats don't suck.
Cosign, if we were to make a best of comp, it should only be for those mentioned above. Maybe leave out the MIC album (as it's all essential and should be owned in it's entirety) and try to come up with a list of the best album songs, and one-off songs, from the core members.
I'm going to try to draft a preliminary tracklist in the next week or so. I'll keep yall posted.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Versive wrote:
unclebengi wrote:
I'm going to try to draft a preliminary tracklist in the next week or so. I'll keep yall posted.
:cheers:

Versive

Post by Versive »

Alright so here is a first draft. In addition to the parameters set above, I decided to limit the Grimm and Doom tracks to the Jet Jaguar Digital Tears and King Geedorah Take Me To Your Leader albums.

Also with the exception of one Kong & Spiega joint I ended up using only solo joints. That wasn't so much intentional, it just turned out that way. Well, actually I intentionally didn't use any posse cuts because all of the best posse cuts are on Escape From Monsta Island.

Also, I didn't use any tracks featuring non-core members so no Darc Mind because Kevroc aint in M.I.C. (right?) and no Dirt Nation.

X-Ray - A Monsta (Skit)
King Geedorah - Fazers
Rodan - Ability to Speak (One Week)
MF Grimm - All Y'all
Spiega - Now That's Sweet
Megalon - Revelations
Gigan - Live Wirez Remix
Kong - Use Me
Kamackeris (as Kwite Def) - All is Fair
Megalon (as Tommy Gun) - I'm Counting on You
Gigan - In Search Of
MF Grimm - The Way
Spiega - I Seen It All
King Geedorah - The Fine Print
MF Grimm - Stable
Kamackeris (as Kwite Def) - Khadijah 2008
Rodan - No Degrees
Megalon - Rainblood
Gigan - Gunshots
Kamackeris - Untouchable
Kong - True Beleavers ft. Spiega
Megalon - When I Go Out
Rodan - Human Inquisition
X-Ray - Monstaball

As you can see, I tried to use a pretty even distribution of rappers with slightly less Doom songs because everyone's already heard all his shit, and barely any Kong because frankly he doesn't have enough tracks that deserve to be on a "Best Of" comp IMO.

Like I said at the start though, this is by no means a final list, so I'm not even posting a link yet. Let me know if there are any absolutely criminal omissions or anything else you think should be on there that I didn't include or if you have any other ideas for improvement.

As of right now, it's 24 songs, 1 hour 25 minutes.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Off the top, I think "Beast" and "Genocide" off the Terror Firma album are must have. I think "War" and "Red Tears" off Kong's "Shackles Off" is worthy too. From the Rodan album- "Run The Sphere", "Roll Call", "Century 21".

"Yahkoo" from Megalon too.

There's a lot more I'd take from "Digital Tears", but that's a personal album for me. I'd include at least one of the two J-Zone beats though- "Taken" or "Dancin"(I can't pick one), and "Voices (the final chapter)" is a favorite too.

well there's 10 without even trying, so, forgive me if I'm a little liberal with my choices. Pick any that seem appropriate. I was eventually gonna do this if no one else did, thanks for takin the time Versive.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Top work Versive, this looks really good. Good looks on the inclusion of Digital Tears and Take Me To Your Leader as the sole Grimm & DOOM efforts, totally agree with you on that... Gotta side with Benji & disagree about Kong tho, the Kong EP is gold and Shackles Off is really dope too.

Maybe I'll do one of my own...whaddaya say Uncle Benj? Let's get a couple of mixes going...

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Sure, we could make Versive's volume 1. Think of any additional one's I didn't mention and we'll combine our forces for volume II. I guess I actually named 11, so if you can come up with 10-15 we haven't mentioned we should be good to go.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Sweet, thanks. I need to trim some dead air off a few of these tracks and get all the tags right, but I can probably have this posted by tonight or tomorrow. I'll snag some daikaiju-themed cover art from Google Images too.

If we're going to do multiple volumes you guys could start including some tracks from 2nd tier members like Biollante (Kurious) and Ravage the MeccaGodzilla if you want. It killed me to leave off Darc Mind and the Kwite Def song "Mocknecks," but it was a conscious decision to keep it strictly core M.I.C. (I was secretly hoping there'd be a volume 2 actually.)

"War" was on my tracklist at one point, but I ended up dropping it for one reason or another. If you guys like the tracklist as is, I'lll just leave it and per Bengi's suggestion, you guys can pick up with his tracks for vol. 2. Sound gooD?

Versive

Post by Versive »

I cleaned up all the tracks as much as I could without affecting sound quality.

Would sombody be willing to take the helm on cover art? Because I couldn't really settle on any images and honestly have no idea what I'm doing in this area. (I mean I know how to tag the songs with the cover art once it's done, but microsoft paint is about the extent of my graphic arts knowledge and even that I struggle with.) Otherwise, I can just post it as is without any art.

Also, what do yall think about something simple like T.R.O.Y. Presents Return To Monsta Island Vol. 1 for the title?

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

DOOM better do the MF Biolante album...

Versive

Post by Versive »

Got impatient. Here it is: http://www.divshare.com/download/17666764-e4a
Everything's tagged. Tracklist is same as above. Enjoy!

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Versive wrote:I cleaned up all the tracks as much as I could without affecting sound quality.

Would sombody be willing to take the helm on cover art? Because I couldn't really settle on any images and honestly have no idea what I'm doing in this area. (I mean I know how to tag the songs with the cover art once it's done, but microsoft paint is about the extent of my graphic arts knowledge and even that I struggle with.) Otherwise, I can just post it as is without any art.

Also, what do yall think about something simple like T.R.O.Y. Presents Return To Monsta Island Vol. 1 for the title?
I like the title fa sho...

...and Microsoft Paint covers are the best. Hook it up! :phila: