DSD:Diamon-D/Redman/Showbiz & A.G.

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner.

Runaway Slave.
31%
Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop.
38%
Whut? Thee Album.
31%

Total votes: 80

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Hell, it's a close tie now to this day.

I feel bad for forgetting Da Lench Mob's debut but I wasn't about to dead sixty votes because the results weren't gonna be changed that much, if at all. And like I said, if you would've voted for that, lemme know.

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

A tough one!

I went for Redman as it's a tour de force of MC'ing although you could easily argue that Diamond/Show were tour de force's in beats.

Loved them at the time and still digging them now. The Diamond album is damn near perfect, I'm regretting voting Redman now but I know next time I throw on Whut! I'll be glad I voted for it!

kimani

Post by kimani »

Anything but Redman.

I actually often forget about Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop for some reason...it's super dope. But Runaway Slave is on some top five steez for me. Everything (I mean, all the popular gangster stuff) post Runaway Slave was (HEAVILY) influenced by it. Except that, in most cases, they missed the actual point of the album. It is one of the very, very few albums that captures the hard, street sound/mentality/slang/lyrics while at the same time promoting the "better" or "legit" life--sans drug slanging, killing, talking shit, etc.

In my opinion, the most important album of the '90s, probably the most important non-'87/'88 album of our beloved genre.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Honestly it's a tie with all of em. Any could be number one to me depending on the day.

Picked Reggie tho, even tho I probably listen to Runaway Slave more and SB&H more when I was younger...

Machiventa

Post by Machiventa »

This is way too hard. For some reason I listened to Whut more than the other two back in the day, and probably still do today. I guess I'll go with Redman then.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

vincentlopez wrote:A very close tie when they all dropped but Runaway Slave has held up the best over time so I'll go with that one.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Runaway Slave for me...the beats are just so Fonky. Showbiz might not be great on the mic, but he's great in an old school sorta way and is the perfect complement to AG on the album. The Big L track is classic, Diamond and Dres features are great, I just think it's a much better beginning to end listen even if Diamond's album has more high points and more variety.

Redman's album is probably more ahead of it's time, and the album I'll turn to if I want to get hype, but Runaway Slave is my favorite and maybe the quintessential DITC album to me.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Tough one, but in the spirit of this being a 'Day it Dropped' thing, absolutely NOTHING will top my first time listening to the Redman album front to back. One of my favorite first-listens ever. I vividly recall everything from the purchase to taking it home and stopping everything to just listen to it. Wow.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com