DSD:KRS-One/Souls of Mischief/Spice 1

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner.

'93 'Til Infinity.
42%
187 He Wrote.
15%
Return of the Boom Bap.
42%

Total votes: 78

TheBigSleep

DSD:KRS-One/Souls of Mischief/Spice 1

Post by TheBigSleep »

Tuesday, September 28th, 1993.

Three LPs: KRS-One's solo debut, as well as Souls of Mischief's first album and Spice 1's sophomore, all released via Jive Records (with Souls also dropping through BMG).

Pick your favorite and / or the best album, doesn't matter.

Previous Dropped Same Day(s):

36 Chambers vs. Midnight Marauders.
Runaway Slave vs. Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop vs. Whut? Thee Album.
Last edited by TheBigSleep on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

That was another hard one. That Krs-one was really good but I listened to 93 Til a lot more back in the day. I still love both of those records.

I need to listen to Souls again tonight!!

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

boom bap has some titantic songs but 93 til is a better album

ive never heard the spice 1

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Souls by a landslide
clark bent wrote: ive never heard the spice 1
the title track is pretty epic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOhTvc6Id3c

amerikka's nightmare had a few gems also (dontcha runaway, bustas cant see me) but in general I find all his albums patchy and hard work to get through

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Souls all the way.
Although, Return... Is my favorite album with KRS labeled as the artist.
Spice 1's self titled album is miles ahead of any other album of his.
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

anyone ever notice 93til liner notes had same track listing for both a and b sides?

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Tim Burton wrote:That was another hard one. That KRS-one was really good but I listened to '93 'til a lot more back in the day. I still love both of those records. I need to listen to Souls again tonight!
Yeah me too. Hah, glad to inspire.
clark bent wrote:Boom Bap has some titantic songs but '93 'til is a better album.
Agreed.
vaporized2 wrote:Souls by a landslide.

Spice 1's title track is pretty epic. Amerikka's Nightmare had a few gems also (Don'tcha Runaway, Bustas Can't See Me) but in general I find all his albums patchy and hard work to get through.
Yeah, I didn't think Souls would have trouble winnin' this. I wanted to let aleph have his easy vote without subjecting people to Breakin' Atoms vs. Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch (July 23rd, 1991).
chiefbombpro wrote:Souls all the way.
Although, Return... is my favorite album with KRS labeled as the artist.
Spice 1's self titled album is miles ahead of any other album of his.
Yeah that's pretty much where I stand with it.

I knew Spice 1 would be the odd one out and not strictly on some East Coast bias shit, it just feels like that looking back. However, 187 He Wrote was number one on the rap charts and number ten on the top 200 back in the day, when the West Coast was starting to outsell the East. Triggas Got No Heart was featured in Menace II Society and Tupac called Spice's LP the "hardest album ever recorded".

It selling at the time is the main reason for its inclusion. That, to give every release a fair shot and to showcase that Jive had one New York and a couple Bay Area albums drop the same day in '93. I knew it'd be in last place but it's actually got some votes.

And I told you guys the choices are gonna get weirder as we go on with this series.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

TheBigSleep wrote:without subjecting people to Breakin' Atoms vs. Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch (July 23rd, 1991).
wouldn't like to call that one

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Spiggedy Spice One... I like AmeriKKKa & 1990-Sick better than 187 but it's still a dope ass album.

Tha Teacha would be my second pick... Outta Here is a jaw dropin' joint.

I also heard SOF album a couple of times, didn't like it (except for '93 'Til Infinity song)... then again I was never into that alt./abstract stuff.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

vaporized2 wrote:
TheBigSleep wrote:...without subjecting people to Breakin' Atoms vs. Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch (July 23rd, 1991).
Wouldn't like to call that one.
Hah, I still kinda like P.M. Dawn's debut vs. Tim Berners-Lee's idea for the World Wide Web two weeks after that, August 6th. It's bigger than hip hop.
Bigg Boss Luciano wrote:Spiggedy Spice 1...I like AmeriKKKa & 1990-Sick better than 187 but it's still a dope ass album. Tha Teacha would be my second pick...Outta Here is a jaw dropin' joint. I also heard the Souls album a couple of times, didn't like it (except for '93 'Til Infinity)...then again I was never into that alternative / abstract stuff.
Glad to hear people voting for Spice, I almost considered omitting it (back when it was just album versus album) and right now it's tied with KRS' debut. Didn't think it was gonna do quite that well here but it did sell the most at the time. There's a couple kinda unusual choices comin' up that're probably not gonna go over nearly as well as this did.

I don't know how experimental it really was, comparatively speaking, but there seems to be something about this album that just resonates with people. It's one of those West Coast albums that the East Coast heads generally like as well. And it wasn't that outside the mainstream, I remember hearing album cuts from '93 'til Infinity on various New York radio shows as a kid.

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

i went with krs but if it was amerikkkas worst nightmare would have gone for that.. 187 he wrote is very dope but i love that krs..
illegal mind shoe lace

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

If 93 'Til... Had the Batting Practice remix, it probably would have taken it for me.
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I've never heard that Spice 1 album til this day, I anticipate listening to it now after seeing it here on this poll.

My choice would be 93 Til' Infinity. The KRS album was good, but that Souls album had so much more replay value for me back then.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

EichTurner wrote:I went with KRS but if it was Amerikkka's Worst Nightmare I would have gone for that...187 He wrote is very dope but I love that KRS...
Yeah, that seems to be the Spice 1 album.
chiefbombpro wrote:If '93 'Til...had the Batting Practice remix, it probably would have taken it for me.
Interesting stipulation. They did have some good unreleased material and non-album cuts around that time.
fatboybrandon wrote:I've never heard that Spice 1 album 'til this day, I anticipate listening to it now after seeing it here on this poll. My choice would be '93 'Til Infinity. The KRS album was good, but that Souls album had so much more replay value for me back then.
Cool man. Yeah, I agree.

And that KRS album went from tied in second with Spice at five a piece to tied for first with Souls. It's been fun to watch these play out because none go exactly as I imagined.

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

it was pretty close btw Souls and KRS. i listened to 93 Till more back then, but over time i played Return Of The Boom Bap more and more. If asked to choose btw the 2 which one i'd listen to today, i's go with KRS.....i just like the vibe of that whole album....had to pick the Teacha

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

Back then Souls, and now Souls, but I love all 3 and play them frequently.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

ecwclown

Post by ecwclown »

Boom Bap is one of the best albums of all time... gotta go with that.

Verge

Post by Verge »

fatboybrandon wrote:I've never heard that Spice 1 album til this day, I anticipate listening to it now after seeing it here on this poll.

Yay! Finally one that's an easy choice for me. I always thought the Souls album was kinda boring barring the classic 93 Til and Never No More, though there was some great beats no doubt. If Batting Practice Remix, Cabfare, and Step To My Girl(i think this was from those sessions but i may be wrong) made the album then this would be a tougher vote.

Return Of The Boom Bap.
Higher Level>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Verge

Post by Verge »

That said, I'm about to re-listen to SOM now and will probably enjoy it more and one of my friends played Boom Bap so much back in the day I don't even really wanna hear it nowadays. Sound Of Da Police got played into the ground, I would be happy to never hear it again. And there are a few mis-steps on Boom Bap, imo, it's no perfect album.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

djfilthyrich wrote:It was pretty close between Souls and KRS.
Yeah, I'll say. It's tied again now.
I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:Back then Souls and now Souls, but I love all three and play them frequently.
Glad to see it when people rate all of 'em highly.
Verge wrote:Yay! Finally one that's an easy choice for me.
Hah, there will be a few more of those in the near future no doubt. I was half jokin' when I said this one would be easy, 'cause it definitely depends.

It's funny 'cause in the last thread, I was talking about how Runaway Slave led to the beginning of the KRS / Diggin' connection with Sound of Da Police. I like being able to draw vague parallels between the different albums in this series as it progresses.

And it's cool that this is inspiring people to reminisce about the release dates, revisit albums and even check stuff out for the first time. Didn't think it would work as well as it has. I've been keeping up with the voting on all of 'em and each are still somewhat surprising to me in their own ways.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Spice 1 with a huge West Coast Bias involved. I mean, I have respect for the teacher and the pussy ass hip hop dudes, but gangster shit has always been my thing because at the end of the day I'm just a motherfucking gangster like louis vuitton condoms and peeping tom and all dem heads that be down for da get down.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

More Gravy Please

Post by More Gravy Please »

Looks like I've brought it back to neck & neck. I voted Souls, and although I love Return of the Boom Bap, 93 til Infinity is and was more of a solid listen from beginning to end. Souls is a top 20 album for me. The production is just impeccable.

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

KRS all day. No contest. But I enjoy listening to the Souls instrumental LP today. Wonder why Jive released all 3 on the same day back then.
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

More Gravy Please wrote:Looks like I've brought it back to neck & neck.
Yeah, you tied it up at like nineteen votes a piece and it's been tied at every number since. That's the way this one has gone though, back and forth the whole way. Vincent Lopez just broke the tie this time around but it's been the closest face off yet.

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

I loved all 3 of these back in the day!

Ultimately I went for KRS as it's one of the best albums by one of the best MC's. I still listen to it regularly these days.

I still bump the Souls album too and was into the early Hiero stuff in a big way but KRS (and Premo) just edged it for me.

Whilst I loved the Spice 1 album at the time it's not an album I've listened to much at all since 93/94. I remember the opener though, 'I'm the fuckin' murderer', he went off on that one, dope tune!

Send One

Post by Send One »

I went with KRS. That Souls record is dope as hell, but I listen to ROTBB way more.

Never was a big Spice 1 fan.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

boom bap

admiral

Post by admiral »

Boom Bap

I only remember the first track from that Spice-1 album, but it's a doozy:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijdJCyNepZM?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijdJCyNepZM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Until the L / ODB match up this was the closest back and forth voting I'd seen in the series. Even though Souls had the early lead it seemed tied more often than not. Looks like these last couple votes for KRS has pretty much cinched it for him, though crazier things have happened.

Still somewhat surprised at the amount of votes that Spice 1 got. Comparatively it got more than Digable Planet's Blowout Comb which was the third wheel in the O.C. / Scarface poll and sounds like a more well regarded album overall.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

93 but Boom Bap is close second.

If it was No Man's Land against KRS-One (self-titled) [both released on same day also], then KRS' sophomore joint would take that easily.