DSD:Beastie Boys/8Ball & MJG/Heavy D/Jeru

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner.

Ill Communication.
10%
Nuttin' But Love.
No votes
On the Outside Looking In.
6%
The Sun Rises in the East.
85%

Total votes: 52

TheBigSleep

DSD:Beastie Boys/8Ball & MJG/Heavy D/Jeru

Post by TheBigSleep »

Tuesday, May 24th, 1994.

Four LPs: The Beastie Boys' fourth, through Grand Royal Records, 8Ball & MJG's second, on Suave House Records, the fifth by Heavy D & the Boyz, via Uptown Records and Jeru the Damaja's debut, on PayDay Records.

Pick your favorite and / or the best album, doesn't matter.

Previous Dropped Same Day(s):

Enter the 36 Chambers vs. Midnight Marauders.
Guerrillas in tha Mist vs. Runaway Slave vs. Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop vs. Whut? Thee Album.
'93 'til Infinity vs. 187 He Wrote vs. Return of the Boom Bap.
Blowout Comb vs. The Diary vs. (Twista's) Resurrection vs. Word...Life.
Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous vs. Rollin' Wit' Dana Dane vs. Return to the 36 Chambers.
Last edited by TheBigSleep on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Jeru. bitches, jungle music, mental stamina > any tracks off the others (imo)

never really got into Ill Communication, beasties doing the hardcore punk/live instrument jam thing never did it for me. that 8 Ball & MJG album is nowhere near as good as their next one On Top Of The World, which I would take above Sun Rises. that Heavy D is decent but a bit tame...

Verge

Post by Verge »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2B5dOCSBBEI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2B5dOCSBBEI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
:lock:

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

the Jeru album easily.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

jay-roo

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

Jeru and Premo
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Jeru. Shit tripped me out when I heard it back in high school. Primo's production is just so next level that it cancels out any shortcomings in Jeru's rapping, and Jeru's song concepts were - and in some cases still are - pretty next level. Plus, that drip-drop sample on Come Clean >>>

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah, this one is a gimme. Huge landslide so far.
vaporized2 wrote:That 8 Ball & MJG album is nowhere near as good as their next one On Top of the World, which I would take above The Sun Rises in the East.
I like when people make claims like this in these threads, whether I agree with them or not, because it causes me to think about it. And yes, this one, although their second, was in a large way just a lead up to On Top of the World.

Which brings me back to this week's theme. (The others so far have been two straight classics, crew member debuts, Jive record releases, state to state and deceased crew members.) Right now we have a solo debut killing it against a second, fourth and even fifth album by established groups in '94.
Last edited by TheBigSleep on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

for the record, pretty sure that is 8Ball & MJG's 2nd album. don't think there was one in between their debut Coming Out Hard :pause: and On The Outside.. (I might be wrong tho')

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

^Only thing is Coming Out Hard was not their debut. Outside Looking In is their third joint. Their debut was a real underground album called Listen To The Lyrics.
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah, I fucked up, I'm pretty sure you're right vaporized, it's their sophomore. I was gettin' it confused with On Top of the World maybe.

And chief, wasn't Listen to the Lyrics just their first single, not a full album? I don't know all that much about them honestly, I was half just goin' off of memory.

Anyway, since there isn't much of a debate to be had here, does the Ill Communication and / or On the Outside Looking In vote wanna explain their reasoning? This is a safe place.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Jeru. Bork Bork

kimani

Post by kimani »

Oooh, I contributed to the blowout...

But Ill Communication is dope too!
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah, this is about as one sided as it possibly gets.

And I'm serious about being interested in people explaining their votes, even if / when it's on some :free: type shit, because like it says in the original post, it's not necessarily even the best that you're voting for, you could be choosing something because it's a personal favorite.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

TheBigSleep wrote:Yeah, this is about as one sided as it possibly gets.

And I'm serious about being interested in people explaining their votes, even if / when it's on some :free: type shit, because like it says in the original post, it's not necessarily even the best that you're voting for, you could be choosing something because it's a personal favorite.
Well said.

Jeru the only album that I actually got anything out of from this line-up. Altho to be honest I never gave the 8&MJG album a proper spin, but I doubt it would change my answer cuz Jeru debut was a big thing in general that could be put up against a lot of heavy weights from that year and still stand strong. Plus I think it aged nicely, imho.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

kimani wrote:Oooh, I contributed to the blowout...

But Ill Communication is dope too!
it was close though... but yep.

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Gotta go with Jeru though.

Many lit nights analyzing that joint.

kimani

Post by kimani »

I'm assuming Jeru's lyricism is the reasoning behind most of the votes, Monsieur The Big Sleep. At least for me, the Beastie Boys joint was fun and had some creativity, the other two were basically non-factors, and The Sun Rises In The East is on some serious, classic East Coast steez. I mean, My Mind Spray has probably been sampled more times than the other three records combined.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah I got that. In the case of a blowout like this, I'm more interested in what the outliers think. Which in this case is two anonymous people who haven't voiced their opinions.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4X7rhk3wlE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4X7rhk3wlE?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

illest track by far on that album

8Ball & MGJ's post-2000 stuff has been poor. last few albums have been terrible, but this recent track with big krit is quality

<object width="560" height="100"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p1fwt-DXm9s?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p1fwt-DXm9s?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="100" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

The Sun Rises in the East hands down. I remember buying the double vinyl LP from my local indie record store on Saturday 5/21/94. They had advanced copies and were selling it before the street date.

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

Jeru, no question. An entire album produced by Premo! Loved it back in the day, still play it now and again. Come Clean. Bitches. My Mind Spray. D.Original, so many dope tunes on this one. I really liked his second album too but it's his debut that I find myself going back to more often.

Was never into 8Ball & MJG and whilst I did kinda enjoy the Heavy D album at the time, it's not aged all that well and is a little too smooth for my liking with all the R&B hooks etc.

I quite like Ill Communication but it's no Paul's Boutique and I do struggle with some of the harder edged punk stuff to be honest, just not my bag.

So it's Jeru, hands down.

STAM

Post by STAM »

vaporized2 wrote:Jeru
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:the Jeru album easily.
Philaflava wrote:jay-roo
vincentlopez wrote:Jeru and Premo
Echo Leader wrote:Jeru
cleanprophet wrote:Jeru, no question
:owens: :owens: :owens: :owens:

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Come to think about it, I think Ahmad's debut might have dropped that day too.

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Although, I don't believe it would change the results. :lol:

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Good call, missed that one.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

STAM wrote::owens:
Does this mean you didn't vote for Jeru? 'cause you'd be the first to say so, which would be cool.

Jeru over everything is great and all (I mean, that's what I voted). We hadn't had a ninety percent blowout before, my problem's just the other ten percent present in the poll is missin' from the comments, which's one hundred percent Jeru.

I guess with a majority that strong people don't wanna out themselves and stand behind their choice. Or maybe those are lurker / throw away votes.

Regardless, I'm not ever asking for people to defend their choices. It's just always more interesting of a thread if people do more than simply state who they voted for, especially when it's one sided like this, where the other side isn't even doing that.

Also, if anybody would've voted for Ahmad's self titled debut, feel free to post a comment in favor of it.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

lol landslide ..
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

kimani wrote:I'm assuming Jeru's lyricism is the reasoning behind most of the votes, Monsieur The Big Sleep.

His lyrics do make that LP but it also featured some of Premier's best work. Jungle Music is still a fave of mine, I just wish I had an instrumental of it. I read that it sampled the Isaac Hayes track but I can never figure out exactly how it ended up sounding like the finished beat (it was kind of explained but it still blows my mind). Same goes for the CNN T.O.N.Y beat but for different reasons.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

I would probably tend to agree with that. An album of '94 era Premier beats alone does provide incentive for many.

I never really thought about how much of it was the beats and how much was the rhymes / concepts though. That's an interesting side question I suppose.