DSD:Bad Azz/Brand Nubian/Gangsta Boo/Jay-Z/OutKast/Tribe

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner.

Aquemini.
52%
Enquiring Minds.
No votes
Foundation.
22%
The Love Movement.
16%
Vol.2...Hard Knock Life.
7%
Word On Tha Streets.
3%

Total votes: 58

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I went with Outkast. "Rosa Parks" made my 7th grade dance get live.

By the way, is there an unwritten rule that every rap group reunion album has to be titled 'The Foundation?'
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

DredScott

Post by DredScott »

had to go with Tribe...

that's the only lp out of those that i actually copped that day. didn't fuck with jay or outkast back then and didn't think a brand nubian reunion lp was gonna be dope. the others weren't even acknowledged...

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:By the way, is there an unwritten rule that every rap group reunion album has to be titled The Foundation?
:lol: Props to you for reminding me of these match ups.
DredScott wrote:Had to go with Tribe, that's the only LP out of those that I actually copped that day.
Voting from a back then perspective, I like it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

went with kast which i'm sure will be the runaway. though if foundation was 'in god we trust' we'd have a problem.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Had to go with the last great production credits between Organized Noize and Outkast. The live instrumentation is something we need more of. Very talented folks.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Philaflava wrote:Went with Kast which I'm sure will be the runaway. Though if Foundation was In God We Trust we'd have a problem.
Interesting stipulation. And yeah, I agree. The last few have had half a dozen contestants each but tend to have one probable winner, these couple are more about the day than the competition I guess. I do have some more match ups that should yield closer results in the future though.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

tough call.. Love Movement was weak to me. sounded like tribe had given up by this point and weren't into it any more, only Rock Rock Yall and Find A Way are approaching 'classic tribe'. the outkast and jay-z are too commercial for my taste, and I'm not really a fan of either artist anyway. Foundation is pretty forgettable, I thought I'd give it another try and downloaded it from amazon the other week and I've already deleted everything except for the best track "Sincerely", which has some classic Ogee production. never heard the Gangsta Boo

gonna have to give it to Bad Azz, partly for having one of the nicest G-Funk posse cuts of all time (imo):

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n9APO1yFhpk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n9APO1yFhpk?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

kimani

Post by kimani »

Not Jay-Z
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

vaporized2 wrote:Gonna have to give it to Bad Azz, partly for having one of the nicest G-Funk posse cuts of all time, in my opinion.
The breakdown of your reasoning is appreciated and it's always good to get some music in these threads, especially stuff that people aren't as likely to have heard.
kimani wrote:Not Jay-Z.
Hah, right now he's tied in last place with Gangsta Boo. Have a feeling that may change though.

Versive

Post by Versive »

vaporized2 wrote: gonna have to give it to Bad Azz, partly for having one of the nicest G-Funk posse cuts of all time (imo):

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n9APO1yFhpk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n9APO1yFhpk?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Gotta go with Aquemini but you the man for this vote. Easily my number 2 on here.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Aquemini is the BEST Outkast album, whether it's your favorite or not. Much better than anything in this group IMO.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

That seems to be what two thirds of the people think so far (at least about it being better than the rest of the group).

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Outkast by a landslide

i like that ATCQ album, its a step down from the step down that was beats rhymes and live but it has good songs. its just a little too long to listen to alkl the way through

foundation has a lot of good tracks

the return
shining star
brand nubian
maybe one day
black and proud
sincerely
probable cause
love vs hate
straight outta now rule
foundation

are all good tracks some of them very good.
between the other tracks is some filler and some definite trash and the album is far away from their best material but their is still enough dope material.

Hard Knock life is like Foundation in the sense that its very uneven to me. jumps between some great songs and utter trash

a friend of mine had that badazz album and it wasn't bad but i dont remember anything standing out. tha streez is a mutha, last meal, and 2001 were the only memorable G-Funk heavy albums from that time imo

admittedly I have never heard the gangsta boo album but i think even if i would be crazy enough to search it and listen to it wouldnt change my vote

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Foundation easily for me, I don't even mind the cheesy attempts at radio play. Underrated album.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Thank you. I find it somewhat strange that it's happened multiple times now where the albums in fourth, third and obviously first place will have people saying they voted for them but the second place vote comments are noticeably absent.

Not sure why that is. You'd think the runner up album, having a high number of votes would have people saying they voted for it more quickly than the ones with a couple, but apparently that's not always how it works.

Also on this Tuesday, was the Great Day in Hip Hop photo-op in Harlem:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLc-yNJEjZI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLc-yNJEjZI?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wK2IwS2sv94?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wK2IwS2sv94?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4aN6jJIDsw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4aN6jJIDsw?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

Was still stuck on the Tribe vibe back then so I ignored a lot of releases that month. Bought Aquemini more than a year later and kicked myself for not buying it when it dropped.
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

I think that was probably true for a lot of people, better late then never.

People talk(ed) about this day like it's some amazing, historical release date but I kinda wanted to prove we've had better line ups already that are less known / celebrated. Definitely had to be included though. And if Gangsta Boo hadn't dropped (or if someone liked it more), everything would have at least one vote once again.

Here's a rough percentage breakdown after the second month:

Beasties / 8Ball & MJG / Jeru ג€“ 10/2/88
Black Moon / Em / Prince Paul / Rob Swift / Roots / Sporty Thievz ג€“ 21/12/39/2/22/4
AZ / Jamal / Kausion / KRS / Menace Clan / Souls ג€“ 22/13/2/57/4/2
Bad Azz / Brand Nubian / Jay / OutKast / Tribe ג€“ 5/24/2/53/16

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Bout em' all within the span of like maybe two days....good ol' Army Life. Outkast is my winner but Gangsta Boo's debut is highly slept on, vintage DJ Paul and Juicy J Production and Gangsta Boo was flowing harder than most niggas.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Tough one. I always thought the BN reunion was dope, and I wasn't even that fond of Brand Nu in those days.

The Jay album admittedly got tons of rotation in the cd player during school hours.

The 'Kast album has always been, imo (said "imo" so yall feelings don't get hurt) the most overrated piece of matter on life as we know it. Rosa Parks was cool and there were some other songs that was hot, but the album is disappointing as shit, especially with everyone and they step-mom talkin' bout how great it is.

Tribe album was meh. I honestly expected more, but I wasn't dissatisfied with it. Had some songs on it.

Overall, gotta go with Jay, just for nostalgia sake, but I enjoy the Brand Nu album and the Tribe album more. Never bothered to listen to Gangsta Boo and my boy used to bang the Bad Azz tape in the whip...never got into it...

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

The only album I heard from this batch... Brand Nu (although I skimmed thru Jay-Z album it didn't impress me as his earlier two albums).

I never cared for Tribe and OutKast (tho I love Kast's debut), West coast started to suck in '97 (the year G-Funk pretty much died) so I never heard Bad Azz album and as for Gangsta Boo, I didn't hear the album yet but I think it can't be wack with DJ Paul & Juicy J behind the boards.

citizen

Post by citizen »

i remember being in an fye sometime around this time and some girl that worked there was telling someone about hard knock life and she said something like this is a really good album it has like 8 good songs on it and most rap albums only have two or three good songs

voted outkast

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

:lol:

citizen

Post by citizen »

does any know anyone who bought that gangsta boo album?

i mean unless there were naked pics of her in the insert, i cant imagine wanting to buy that album, but hey thats just me, she was really hot in the late night tip video

More Gravy Please

Post by More Gravy Please »

Bought Tribe, Outkast & BN together. Big fan of all 3 artists. Foundation was the weakest of the three records. I voted Outkast for having a larger number of standout cuts than the other two.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

I bought Foundation, and it remains the only CD that I own on that list. Althought I'd pick up that Bad Azz album if I ever saw it again.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

citizen wrote:Does any know anyone who bought that Gangsta Boo album?
Galvatron78 wrote:Bought 'em all within the span of like maybe two days...good ol' Army Life. Gangsta Boo's debut is highly slept on, vintage DJ Paul and Juicy J production and Gangsta Boo was flowing harder than most niggas.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

vaporized2 wrote:tough call.. Love Movement was weak to me. sounded like tribe had given up by this point and weren't into it any more, only Rock Rock Yall and Find A Way are approaching 'classic tribe'.
bustas lament is a great song and imo deserves to be in the conversation with some of their best material