DSD:Artifacts/Com/Extra Prolific/Fu/Lil

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner.

Between a Rock and a Hard Place.
37%
The Dead Has Arisen.
5%
Like It Should Be.
16%
Nervous Breakdown.
2%
Play Witcha Mama.
2%
Resurrection.
37%
Ruthless By Law.
No votes

Total votes: 43

TheBigSleep

DSD:Artifacts/Com/Extra Prolific/Fu/Lil

Post by TheBigSleep »

Tuesday, October 25th, 1994.

Seven LPs: Artifacts' debut, on Big Beat, Common's sophomore, via Relativity, Extra Prolific's only, through Jive, Fu-Schnickens' second, also through Jive, Lil 1/2 Dead's first, off Priority, RBL Posse's second, for In-A-Minute Records and Willie D's third, by way of Wrap Records.

Pick your favorite and / or the best album, doesn't matter.

Previous Dropped Same Day(s):

Enter the 36 Chambers vs. Midnight Marauders.
Guerrillas in tha Mist vs. Runaway Slave vs. Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop vs. Whut? Thee Album.
'93 'til Infinity vs. 187 He Wrote vs. Return of the Boom Bap.
Blowout Comb vs. The Diary vs. (Twista's) Resurrection vs. Word...Life.
Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous vs. Rollin' Wit' Dana Dane vs. Return to the 36 Chambers.
Ahmad vs. Ill Communication vs. Nuttin' But Love vs. On the Outside Looking In vs. The Sun Rises in the East.
The Ablist vs. A Prince Among Thieves vs. The Slim Shady LP vs. Street Cinema vs. Things Fall Apart vs. War Zone.
Da Hood vs. Doe or Die vs. KRS-One vs. Last Chance, No Breaks vs. No Man's Land vs. South Central Los Skanless.
Aquemini vs. Enquiring Minds vs. Foundation vs. The Love Movement vs. Vol.2... Hard Knock Life vs. Word On Tha Streets.
Doom vs. The Equinox vs. Phenomenon vs. When Disaster Strikes... vs. X-pressions.
Apache Ain't Shit vs. Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde vs. Hard or Smooth vs. Live and Let Die.
The Final Tic vs. h vs. It Was Written vs. Stakes is High.
I Wish My Brother George Was Here vs. A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Resurrection

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

I'm in a two man cell with my homie Lil' 1/2 Dead

The Dead Has Arisen should be in everyone's top 5 G-Funk albums list, imo... One of the best produced albums I have ever heard (along with his sophomore release).

My favorite from the album:

<object width="350" height="263"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1hzuXn9-KI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1hzuXn9-KI?version=3&hl=sr_RS" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="350" height="263" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Who the hell said dead man can't rap?

<object width="350" height="263"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6KbluGn71E?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6KbluGn71E?version=3&hl=sr_RS" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="350" height="263" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

Voted for Common even though my CD has "Common Sense" on it. Artifacts was very good though.
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/x5btq ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/x5btq ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Artifacts.

toughest poll yet.

bbatson you got a short memory, lol

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Extra Prolific, easy.

Whole album is a cohesive Hiero journey that doesn't fail in any aspect.

Artifacts' debut is cool, but in 2012, shit is so played out, I haven't had that cd in rotation for years. But there's no doubt it's classic, a lil overrated imo, but still classic, jus played out in the now.

Ress. is Com's best album but I'm not a huge fan of him anyway, altho it got plenty play in the day.

Never fucked with the Willie D album, the 1/2 dead joint, and the Fu Sch shit. The RBL shit is aight. But Snupe gets it every time.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Wow. Toughest poll (:pause:) yet, personally.

Went with Artifacts. Fucking love that album. Play Witcha Mama is my dark horse contender here, with Extra Prolific coming in close behind (again, :pause:). I haven't listened to that Common Sense album for about 7 years but I'm comfortable saying that it's just not my shit anymore.

Gonna go listen to that Lil 1/2 Dead album now...

kimani

Post by kimani »

WILLIE D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i love artifacts but common wins this no question...

people love to hate him and because of that ressurection has amazingly become underrated

not sure how thats possible because its such a good album...seems like the internet has given hip-hop fans special powers tho

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I love the Artifacts and The Extra Pro albums but Comms second LP is just a bit doper.

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

Common!!

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

My opinion is similar to Jaz's, Com's LP got the most run on my stereo when it dropped.

I remember feeling a little underwhelmed with Extra Pro's debut when I first listened to it, it didn't grab me like Souls debut album or Del's 2nd and I was hoping it would when buying it. When looking back I appreciate it for what it is and the fact that it is sort of original from the other early 90's Hiero LPs.
KITFUNK wrote:
Never fucked with the Willie D album, the 1/2 dead joint, and the Fu Sch shit.
Same here, I still have yet to listen to those. Thanks to this thread it makes me think about looking into those albums.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

that willie d album has some nice g funk productions

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fuv9WONmOZo?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fuv9WONmOZo?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

fatboybrandon wrote:My opinion is similar to Jaz's, Com's LP got the most run on my stereo when it dropped.

I remember feeling a little underwhelmed with Extra Pro's debut when I first listened to it, it didn't grab me like Souls debut album or Del's 2nd and I was hoping it would when buying it. When looking back I appreciate it for what it is and the fact that it is sort of original from the other early 90's Hiero LPs.
KITFUNK wrote:
Never fucked with the Willie D album, the 1/2 dead joint, and the Fu Sch shit.
Same here, I still have yet to listen to those. Thanks to this thread it makes me think about looking into those albums.
I actually have the Extra Pro album on right now and I have always enjoyed it and liked it more than Del's No Need For Alarm.

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

This one was tough! Some of these albums bring back mad memories of that winter of 1994!

At the time I was bumping that Artifacts album everyday for weeks and couldn't get enough of it. In many ways I think if you distilled my tastes in hip hop into one album then it could be said that the debut Artifacts album would be the end result.

I remember never really being too impressed with the Fu-Schnickens, their first album had some cool Tribe beats but they were always too gimmicky for my tastes. I remember my boy buying Nervous Breakdown on cassette, he got taxed on his way home, they took his walkman, some shit he'd bought in town, his cigarettes but not his brand new Fu Schnickens album and I think that kinda says it all.

I remember the same kid trying to turn me onto the Willie D album but by this stage I was a real east coast head and whilst I would fuck with Rap a lot I never rated Willie D. The same kid also had the Lil 1/2 Dead tape, thinking back he had suspect taste! I wanted to like it simply for the Snoop connection and the fact that I'd been a big Snoop fan a few years earlier but I remember dubbing it from him listening to it once and whilst I can't remember a thing about it, I do remember knowing never to listen to it again.

The Extra Pro album is an odd one for me. I loved Souls album, loved Del, rated Casual to an extreme that I look back on with a mix of fondness and slight unease but for whatever reason this album never did it for me. It's been on my 'albums I must reappraise' list for sometime now but as of yet I've still not had time.

I remember seeing the RBL album in the shops and ads in magazines and shit but never felt inclined to listen to it. Am I missing something, if so tell me!

Which brings me to Common, excuse my babbling but I just smoked a bowl, it's my day off and these threads bring out the 'back in the day' geek in me!!

I voted for Common in the end. I remember copping it along with the Paris G Funk album which I was way more excited about. In the end, obviously, the Common album was the dopest and whilst back in the day I think I probably bumped Artifacts more, I think over the years Resurrection has probably got more play and to this day it's still a favourite of mine whilst I rarely bump that Artifacts album.

It's aged extremely well, Com comes across as likeable, witty, humble yet talented and dope, the production is dope yet different enough from the boom bap of the time to distinguish itself, some drop scratching too.

Toughest poll yet but I'm enjoying these :cheers:

I do know that I'm now going to bump Artifacts and regret my vote :larry:

Boothe

Post by Boothe »

Like It Should Be.

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

I bought "Like It Should Be", and never looked back.
The next week I got "Nervous Breakdown" another 5 mic classic.
No more Sasso. Now everybody call me Ron!

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Going with Extra Prolific on this one. Difficult choice though.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

cleanprophet wrote: I remember my boy buying Nervous Breakdown on cassette, he got taxed on his way home, they took his walkman, some shit he'd bought in town, his cigarettes but not his brand new Fu Schnickens album and I think that kinda says it all.
:rofl:

easily the least good album in the list, this was the best track imo, cant go wrong with some vibes/xylophone
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FDUpQa2eqt4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FDUpQa2eqt4?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

timbuk one, timbuk two, I can't see anything like Mr. Magoo!

+1 Nevous Breakdown

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I2e0BA74VVE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I2e0BA74VVE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Andyman187

Post by Andyman187 »

Between Artifacts and Common, but had to go with Artifacts! Artifacts was solid front to back, no filler, plus the production was top notch. Common's 2nd LP was indeed his best but it still had me skipping a few tracks...

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

vaporized2 wrote: :rofl: easily the least good album in the list
When kids are refusing to even steal your album it's a bad sign :lol:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Resurrection wins, but I'll admit it's not for everyone.

Extra Prolific comes in a close second. It's a FUN hiero album. Vastly underrated.

Nervous Breakdown is utter horseshit. You have to be a huge Borkback faggot to find anything redeeming about this album.

Artifacts debut is wildly overrated, as much as I love the crew.

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

I'm definitely going to go back to the Extra Prolific album due to this thread.

Also gotta agree that the Artifacts album is kinda overrated and also perhaps a touch dated. Gave it a listen last night and whilst it's consistently good it never really scales any great heights. It's just consistently decent mid 90s east coast hip hop. Not that there's anything wrong with that :larry:

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Thun wrote:
how so?

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

cleanprophet wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:
vaporized2 wrote:Toughest poll yet.
Glad to hear it.

Here's a rough percentage breakdown after the third month:

Busta / LL / Mood / Organized / X-Excutioners ג€“ 13/6/19/56/6
Apache / KGR / Pharcyde / Wreckx-N-Effect ג€“ 3/44/46/7
Crucial Conflict / De La / Honda / NaS ג€“ 6/39/8/47
Black Sheep / Del ג€“ 66 / 34
Artifacts / Com / Extra Pro / Fu / Lil

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Facts

Thun

Post by Thun »

Jaz wrote:
Thun wrote:
how so?
There are four songs that have stood the test of time and the rest are fairly boring.

Listen to the demo versions of Wrong Side Of The Tracks and Attack of New Jerusalem, and the Nubian Crackers joint. This album had the potential t be so much better.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Thun wrote:
Jaz wrote:
Thun wrote:
how so?
There are four songs that have stood the test of time and the rest are fairly boring.

Listen to the demo versions of Wrong Side Of The Tracks and Attack of New Jerusalem, and the Nubian Crackers joint. This album had the potential t be so much better.
I won't deny that but I still love that LP regardless.