Hard Drive Stolen

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

night_shade

Hard Drive Stolen

Post by night_shade »

To all the golden era masters, I have a proposition for you. First some background.

About two months ago I got my bag stolen from a bar in Memphis. Someone took it from under my table while my drunk ass was macking on a forty year old woman at the bar. In my bag was my big ass six year old external hard drive, and on that external hard drive was my sacred Hip Hop collection, many years in the making. I'd stored everything on an old desktop as well, but I discovered when I got home that it had long since died. One of the reasons I popped up over here was to try to rebuild some of my collection, but it looks like that might not be possible. It's been hard to locate a lot of stuff, especially with megauload gone. Plus I just don't have as much free time as I used to.

I was thinking about it today, and I realized that with all of us essentially drawing from the same pool of music a lot of you cats probably have a good chunk of the music that I'd collected, plus a lot I'm sure I didn't have. So here is my proposition. Is there anyone out there, more prominent posters in particular, that would consider consolidating their collection (or part of their collection) somewhere and selling it? Obviously, it would depend on the size of the collection, and the price asked for it. If I'm breaking any sacred Troy rules by making this request, then I apologize. Trust me, I feel a little dirty making this request myself, and I'd gladly buy back my own music if that were somehow an option. I really hope whoever jacked my shit has an appreciation for golden era Hip Hop. But really I just can't dig like I used to, and I miss having a huge volume of music at my fingertips.

The prospect of making some money off an otherwise thankless hobby must be at least a little appealing, yeah? Let me know what you people think.
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

That sucks bro I am really sorry to hear this...my suggestions are to rebuild that collection by using the request threads and get on Soulseek night_shade...it would be really costly to have people send you hard drives and there is no way in telling that they would actually get to you.

vaporized2

Re: Hard Drive Stolen

Post by vaporized2 »

night_shade wrote: I'd stored everything on an old desktop as well, but I discovered when I got home that it had long since died.
not exactly sure what you mean by "desktop" here, but it might be worth asking a repair shop if they can salvage the hard drive. I managed to recover almost everything when my old laptop died

otherwise, what Jaz said... easier if you make some kind of request list, even a vague one, so people know what type of things you're after

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

yeah, u need to go that way again bro.

i had similar problem 2 years ago. lost my shit. hdd went down.

were just launched, but u can register at my blog forum for some shit -
http://olasunbekons.myfastforum.org/

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Sorry to hear about the loss night_shade. I wouldn't consider selling my collection since most of it came from other sources/creators, but I guess my cassette taped stuff is pretty rare, though you can just get that at http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com anytime for free.

Maybe you should consider getting a hosting account with unlimited disk space to upload a virtual copy of your entire audio collection? For the security of your music in the long run I think it's the best option I've discovered yet.

I've been told by people over the counter at computer stores that hard drives are bound to die at some point, even worse if they get stolen. With hosting you can manage a virtual collection, upload and download anything easily with a free FTP program. Check it out to see if it's something you might consider and good luck with replacing your collection.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

r233

Post by r233 »

night_shade wrote: Is there anyone out there, more prominent posters in particular, that would consider consolidating their collection (or part of their collection) somewhere and selling it?
I have been thinking for a long time about arranging some sort of a collection swap with someone who has a giant collection of quality music. However I'am totally against the idea of anyone making any money out of it. Only because it is very hard to draw the line between sharing hard to find quality music, against making money out of the music of other people.

Heres how I think is should be done:

1. Two people make an agreement to swap their collections.
2. Both go out and buy the exact same portable external hard drive. Something like 500gb below 100$.
3. Both copy their collections to the hard drive and mail them to each other.
4. No money is moved to either direction.

This could maybe also be done in one way only, with the receiver paying for all the expenses. In either case I think it's very important that no one gets paid in the process besides for covering the expenses.

My own collection is modest since I have only been collecting since 09'.
It would be so amazing If some of the people that have been collecting for decades and got big digitized collections with lots of rare shit would be willing to make this type of swap.

PDF of most of my rap collection: https://rapidshare.com/files/2966429015/Collection.rar

itzmurda

Post by itzmurda »

r233 wrote:
night_shade wrote: Is there anyone out there, more prominent posters in particular, that would consider consolidating their collection (or part of their collection) somewhere and selling it?
I have been thinking for a long time about arranging some sort of a collection swap with someone who has a giant collection of quality music. However I'am totally against the idea of anyone making any money out of it. Only because it is very hard to draw the line between sharing hard to find quality music, against making money out of the music of other people.

Heres how I think is should be done:

1. Two people make an agreement to swap their collections.
2. Both go out and buy the exact same portable external hard drive. Something like 500gb below 100$.
3. Both copy their collections to the hard drive and mail them to each other.
4. No money is moved to either direction.

This could maybe also be done in one way only, with the receiver paying for all the expenses. In either case I think it's very important that no one gets paid in the process besides for covering the expenses.

My own collection is modest since I have only been collecting since 09'.
It would be so amazing If some of the people that have been collecting for decades and got big digitized collections with lots of rare shit would be willing to make this type of swap.

PDF of most of my rap collection: https://rapidshare.com/files/2966429015/Collection.rar
I agree that making money off artists music is wrong. However, a lot of time and money (drive space, internet connection, etc) goes into amassing these collections we have (I've been collecting well over ten years), so I see nothing wrong with him paying for the actual drive/shipping/maybe even time copying, etc, just not the actual music itself.

Unfortunately whenever something like this happens, you're own your own. That's probably why he offered to pay. Like others stated, you just have to recollect everything the same way you collected it in the first place. If it's rare, ask in the request thread.

But yes, a trade would be ideal, however, remember, he has nothing to trade now as he had everything stolen from him (ironic, right? lol).

thablend

Post by thablend »

When you say the desktop died do you mean the actual hard drives failed? cos (u may know this) u can just take the hard drive out and put it in a 'caddy' which turns it into an external usb hard drive. then get the data using ur other computer via usb. cheap as well

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

Back up
Buy cds and records

Thirteen

Post by Thirteen »

Completely agree with the no money HDD exchange. I mean they're going to have dozens of gems, get over the greed and get down. You KNOW that a more personal based sharing would be far more 'tangible' in the sense that you'll probably dig through it with honest interest.

Either that or a huge internet cloud with all jams worthy, but that'll get shut down fast
Last edited by Thirteen on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Thank you all for the kind words.

I agree that there are some potential ethical problems here, although I'm not sure they're as clear cut as some of you make them seem. I'm not suggesting that we start some sort of industry of buying and selling digital music, I'm asking for a special one time transaction for someone that, like all of you, has spent the last several years swapping and sharing music. A lot of what I'd acquired I'd gotten through trade, and trade seems to be the real system around here. However, as Itzmurda pointed out, I've lost nearly everything, so trading isn't really an option for me.

As for the deskptop, the hard drive itself is fucked. I had someone look at it and they said it was more or less irreparable, unless I wanted to spend a shit load of money trying to salvage small parts of it.

Of course I will continue to go though the 'proper channels' (are they really so proper?) and start building up my library again. But if anybody wants to set something up, message me.

Eyedea

Post by Eyedea »

hmm...are there any torrent pages where you can become an uploader once you register yourself as a user? or does anyone know, can u share a torrent privately just between the uploader and downloader? I'd be glad to share my shit as a token of good will(cca 500-600gb) via this route, but it would take you a while to download everything. Of course I probably dont have everything you seek, but it could be a good start. Similar shit happened to me 2 years ago, still recovering :D

thablend

Post by thablend »

Best way would b someone host their own ftp server i was on a forum before that shared copywrited videos n shit , that way u get full control over who access it etc. downside is ud have to hire server space or setup ur own machine and leave it running all the time

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

To be fair losing rare joints is a tragedy. Backing up is a must. I need to be more vigilant. But in the internet age rare joints barely exist anymore.

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

i can create a philaflava DC++ hub. if you're not familiar with DC++, it's essentially kinda like an ftp where you can upload/download to each other but it's amongst more than two users. think of soulseek but on steroids. features secure/encrypted uploading/downloading. multiple source downloads. if you're interested, just private me. the more users on it, the better as the pool of music will be larger.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

atlantiswasreal wrote:i can create a philaflava DC++ hub. if you're not familiar with DC++, it's essentially kinda like an ftp where you can upload/download to each other but it's amongst more than two users. think of soulseek but on steroids. features secure/encrypted uploading/downloading. multiple source downloads. if you're interested, just private me. the more users on it, the better as the pool of music will be larger.
I'm liking this idea. Who else wants in?

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

atlantiswasreal wrote:i can create a philaflava DC++ hub. if you're not familiar with DC++, it's essentially kinda like an ftp where you can upload/download to each other but it's amongst more than two users. think of soulseek but on steroids. features secure/encrypted uploading/downloading. multiple source downloads. if you're interested, just private me. the more users on it, the better as the pool of music will be larger.
i was into dc about 8 years ago. i like soulseek more. can we try soulseek group out betta?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I've used both DC++ & Soulseek and from my experience, I'd say that yup they are essentially the same. I personally prefer DC++ though because I have qualms with Soulseek's lousy gui and spotty userbase.

I know it might be difficult to find a good hub in DC++ initially, but let me tell you ... once you do ... ? you're golden. I used to be part of a great hub until I got banned for one reason or another. I'm currently dealing with my ISP about some bandwidth issues (I'm positive their count isn't right) so I won't be doing any major uploading for a little while. Once the issues are cleared up though I'd be more than glad to contribute to a philaflava hub. My collection is probably rubbish compared to some of you gods but hey every little bit helps.

sorry to hear about your loss night shade.

surprised that your hd lasted that long though. how big was it and what brand?

atlantiswasreal

i've got one person who msg'ed me so far. if you're interested, just hit me up in private. i will be honest, if you're not somewhat tech savvy, it'll be a slight headache setting up a dc++ client and port forwarding - if you have a router - to allow encryption. but it's totally worth it once you got up and running.

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

Sounds DoPe, may need my bro` to help me set that ish up.....LoL, but I`m down for the cause...

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

atlantiswasreal

if you guys need help, i can walk you through it.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

am i the only person that thinks this story is fucking hilarious

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

clark bent wrote:am i the only person that thinks this story is fucking hilarious
Funny thing is, my person got robbed about an hour later. Woke up in a public park, with my wallet gone and a pack of Kools on my pocket. I don't even smoke. Crazy city, Memphis.

Thirteen

Post by Thirteen »

nah the story is definitely real funny in a mystical way

vancitysfinest

Post by vancitysfinest »

People still use SoulSeek? Good to know. I just lost my entire collection of MP3's as well.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

get 2 drives the next time...one STAYS at the crib...

atlantiswasreal

Alright, just finished creating a tutorial on how to set up DC++. Includes screenshots of each step and written instructions.

http://www.sharebeast.com/9hu90j1l3bf4
pw:philaflava

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

PM me night_shade. You supply the hard drive, I'll get you started. My shit is nicely sorted and ready for transfer.

ttddailey

Post by ttddailey »

That sucks...If you haven't sorted it out yet, I'd be happy to clone my hd for ya (i got about 800gb) if you cover the costs

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

I have about 1100 GB of music, over 160 000 songs. I just bought a 2TB laptop, and have two external hard drives of 3TB each. I keep one external in my house, and one at my moms house. That way, I feel as safe as I can with my collection. With the amount of time (and money) I've spent over the years, losing my collection would be a giant tragedy!

EDIT: Does anyone have an idiots guide on how to put a list of your collection in word or pdf? I have everything in folders, with each artist having it's own folder, and everything put into itunes with cover art, with proper tags. Having a list of it would be great, and would be easy to share with people!