Rampage The Last Boyscout - Tha Red Oktoba

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

skater4041

Rampage The Last Boyscout - Tha Red Oktoba

Post by skater4041 »

So I bought a CD-r of this off a dude on discogs. His friend worked on the album back in the day and gave him a copy of the promo. Unfortunately I couldn't get a cover or anything, but I think the album art was released in some magazines right before it was supposed to drop.

check the bottom of the page: http://www.vinyladdicts.net/va/index.ph ... &Itemid=46

And here's the tracklist and release page for the album: http://www.discogs.com/Rampage-The-Red- ... se/1993834

Let me know what you guys think of the album. I'd say it's pretty average, especially for 94. I don't know who handled production but I heard Rampage shout out LG at least once.

I still want that Bas Blasta album someday...pretty much just for beatnuts and groove merchantz production haha

http://www.mediafire.com/?2o5csn4o90n4mlq

atlantiswasreal

Re: Rampage The Last Boyscout - Tha Red Oktoba

Post by atlantiswasreal »

wowzers

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

thanks a lot. The album is pretty much what i expected. There's some interesting production on there. There's some beats on that that sound very 1997 imo even though it's 94.

Thanks for again for posting.

skater4041

Post by skater4041 »

yeah, "The Nite B4 My Shit Dropped" is actually the same one he put out on his official release in 97. Weird how we got that song on his LP 3 years later.

sludgencrust

Post by sludgencrust »

niice

Digital Stimulation

Post by Digital Stimulation »

Whoah, this is a pleasant surprise. Been waiting 18 years to hear this...

Props for posting!!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

skater4041 wrote:So I bought a CD-r of this off a dude on discogs. His friend worked on the album back in the day and gave him a copy of the promo. Unfortunately I couldn't get a cover or anything, but I think the album art was released in some magazines right before it was supposed to drop.

check the bottom of the page: http://www.vinyladdicts.net/va/index.ph ... &Itemid=46

And here's the tracklist and release page for the album: http://www.discogs.com/Rampage-The-Red- ... se/1993834

Let me know what you guys think of the album. I'd say it's pretty average, especially for 94. I don't know who handled production but I heard Rampage shout out LG at least once.

I still want that Bas Blasta album someday...pretty much just for beatnuts and groove merchantz production haha

http://www.mediafire.com/?2o5csn4o90n4mlq
Thanks skater4041 good to see Rampage didn't get the greedy $600 he was asking for the tape haha

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Thanx skater4041 :cheers:

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

atlantiswasreal wrote:wowzers
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

old_stan

Post by old_stan »

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

wow finally it's the same version of "Rampsack" that is on You Tube :bow: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :bow:

I think this shit is dope and it's in really good quality too...skater is there anything we can try and track down for you man?

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

Really!?!?!?!?!? This thread cracked me up - the way skater4041 just nonchalantly dropped this like it was nothing, when there are people on here who have been dying to get their hands of this for 15+ years, and would have sold their own parents to get a copy. Unbelievable... thanks very much for sharing this!! Can't wait to check it out...

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

Damn.. never thought I'd find this one! Thanks!

Marian

Post by Marian »

Wow! Thank you very much, skater4041!!! :bow: My opinion - it's amazing dope!

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

WHOA.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

skater4041 wrote:Let me know what you guys think of the album. I'd say it's pretty average, especially for 94.
thanks for upping this. yeah I agree...most of it isnt' exactly knock-out stuff but "I'm Not Home" is sick. beat almost sounds like it could've been off Midnight Marauders.
bbatson1 wrote: There's some beats on that that sound very 1997 imo even though it's 94.
"Looking At The World" and "Last Boy Scout" sound very 97 to me. strange. were they the tracks you meant?

skater4041 wrote:I still want that Bas Blasta album someday...pretty much just for beatnuts and groove merchantz production haha
>> your mission - should you choose to accept it - is to track down that album nowwww :lol: .......this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

THX - shit is dope - especially the beats...some familiar samples which been used later on again ONYX, NESS...
Dude of course is influenced by Busta on some tracks. I also thought I heard a cheaper imitation of the Lord Have Mercy style upon first listen, but I might be buggin. "Do You Want It" - they use subject matter Lord Have Mercy used on the infamous Flip Mode Freestyle with Ramp and Busta - content similarities. Thanks for sharing man...

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

Haven't been on this forum for ages due to lack of time, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for letting us hear it!

/BOW

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

big big BIG thanks for sharing this.

it's been blogged:

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2012/08/20/r ... ased-1994/

and made some artwork tweaks:

Architek

Post by Architek »

PopsUK wrote:the way skater4041 just nonchalantly dropped this like it was nothing, when there are people on here who have been dying to get their hands of this for 15+ years, and would have sold their own parents to get a copy
cold-blooded mofaw...

Thank you so much. Pretty solid i think, "do you want it" & "the last boyscout" are my standouts.

skater4041

Post by skater4041 »

haha I was happy to get my hands on it for you guys! I've been grabbing gems off this forum for a couple years now and it's about time I started making some unique contributions.

I'd love to find a few albums from the mid-nineties that never got put out but were supposedly recorded.

-The Kamakaze LP (I love mid-nineties Marley and K-Def)
-The Mouth That Roared (I've never heard a bad groove merchantz beat. Plus there's the beatnuts)
-Tales From Fort Knox should be pretty good, hopefully 98 era beats aren't too flashy and are still gritty.

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

Architek wrote:
PopsUK wrote:the way skater4041 just nonchalantly dropped this like it was nothing, when there are people on here who have been dying to get their hands of this for 15+ years, and would have sold their own parents to get a copy
cold-blooded mofaw...

Thank you so much. Pretty solid i think, "do you want it" & "the last boyscout" are my standouts.

Same favorites here

Thanks a lot for uploading his album, if anyone wants the CD Single with remixes

http://www.discogs.com/Rampage-Beware-O ... se/1600708

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/0RW4unuAG4/

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

vaporized2 wrote:
bbatson1 wrote: There's some beats on that that sound very 1997 imo even though it's 94.
"Looking At The World" and "Last Boy Scout" sound very 97 to me. strange. were they the tracks you meant?
Yes indeed. Especially Looking At The World. That doesn't sound anything like a 94 beat but I'm not doubting that it is. But I feel like Busta was one of those guys who kind of ushered in that sound on his albums and with his production choices. So I can see the influence, maybe. :)

and yes.. the casualness of this drop is hilarious. lol

stanR

Post by stanR »

Didn't even know this existed. Thanks!

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

People like skater4041 are the reason why this forum is still the best when it comes to rare Rap music... I know you read it a few times already but damn, Man... THANKS!

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

I noticed another interesting detail about the album... Listen to the filtered bassline on "Looking at the world"... Then listen to the filtered bassline on Flipmode Squad's "Last Night"... I'm pretty sure there are more elements on this lost LP that gave birth to other Flipmode tracks later on. It's good to see they already had their own sonic universe in '94 and just kept on building around it from there.

Verge

Post by Verge »

coollll.. thanks!

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Wow, happy birthday to me! Thanks!
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

nobs

Post by nobs »

THANK YOU

so much

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Many thanks!