do you still buy CDs?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

jredd109

do you still buy CDs?

Post by jredd109 »

Anyone else here still like to actually own the physical copies of albums?

i still feel the need to actually have the cd in my hands. i guess it's from the days when you actually had to have a physical copy of something to listen to it. at this point though, the cost of cd's seems to be higher, especially compared to stealing it off the net, or even buying it digitally, not to mention the space a collection of albums takes up.

i know i should move on and be content with having an album in a digital format, but there's a nagging feeling in the back of my head that i still gotta get the disc.

(downloaded the new el-p off itunes the other day and had this feeling in my head ever since)

Mark 563

Re: CDs

Post by Mark 563 »

You think CDs take up space, try collecting records.

But for the record, I too like to own the physical product, and despite having sold off 8 crates of my collection last year, due to space restrictions, I'm still buying records.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Nah single CD's are a complete rip off...I really enjoy the re-releases and double albums for a single price because then you are getting value for money.

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

Having a physical copy gives u much better feelin than digital, my thoughts.
I like to dig em CD's.

i dont look for those cd singles, like jaz said - re-releases and double cd albums - theyre the real deal.

Record shops are my most visited shops, to be honest :D

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

I still buy CDs and the space they take up is getting to be a problem. But I still order lots of new releases and older shit online - maybe a couple of CDs per week arrive in the email. I love shopping for CDs and records, but more and more stores are closing which sucks. I live right by NYC and there are barely any record or CD stores worth visiting anymore.

I went to Chicago last weekend and came home with about 25 CDs. They are still blessed with some great stores - especially the three Reckless Records stores. I guess maybe they can afford to stay open with lower rent or something...

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I also used to have a problem buying digital music but it's a hump I had to eventually get over because I couldn't justify buying any more new cds; space was getting hard to come by and cds are just too bulky.

It's the same thing with books. I never used to like ebooks but that changed after I realized how much more convenient they were. Like I can store 1000+ ebooks on a usb thumbdrive that can fit in the palm of my hand no problem. Paper books are bulky, take up space, age over time and I don't read them enough to justify the space they take up in my basement.

Think of it more like a habit. You've been buying physical CDs/LPs since time because that's the way music has been distributed for most of your life. Getting something in digital form is kind of a shock the first time but you'll get used to it eventually. Well you'll have to get used to it anyways. Vinyl's don't get pressed up as much as they used to and nobody buys CDs anymore.

Times have changed unfortunately :(
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More Gravy Please

Post by More Gravy Please »

I still prefer to physically own the CD/LP. I like looking at the artwork, reading the sleeve notes and everything. I just don't feel like I actually own an album if it's been downloaded and in a little yellow folder on my hard drive.
Having said that, I haven't bought anything in the past 4 years due to me emigrating and not having my collection or record player/system with me. (Which is also why I'm unable to share much on this forum), so I've been downloading everything with the intention of buying the standout albums when I finally get all my shit back.

clark bent

Re: do you still buy CDs?

Post by clark bent »

i dont buy them because hip-hop sucks but on the rare occasions i get an album i always get cd

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

I still buy CD's. I have the same story, enjoy holding the physical product in my hand and feel like I actually bought something. I also enjoy having a music section in the house. It takes up room but looks dope.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yes

aleph

Post by aleph »

I have roomfuls of cd's but never really took to them having been brought up in the vinyl era. But even though nothing beat holding and poring over the lp record jacket (half of the jewel cases that hold the discs I own are broken in some way) I don't really harbor any sentimentality regarding the changing of the formats- I'll acquire the music in whatever format and however degraded and shitty the sound quality becomes- I'll still keep listening

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If the album is good enough, I'll def buy it. I'm a sucker for reissues too.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

almost bought a couple today, but then i remembered i'm poor, with no job, and a 2nd baby on the way.

i need to find a job...

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

I'd love to always buy physical CDs but it's just too space/money consuming at this point. I love looking a notes especially thank you lists on old albums.

Now days when I buy physical CDs it's usually at a show, especially local or smaller independent artists.
I <3 Employee.

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

I won't buy downloads unless there's no other option or I particularly feel like supporting. i.e. I'll buy a download for an independent artist that's not available on CD or vinyl.

But it's a sucker's game to buy from itunes instead of a CD - it's basically the same price, except from itunes they practically have no cost of manufacturing or distribution; and you wind up with the same product you could get for free off the net or from a friend. It's paying full price for a CD/record but getting nothing but the equivalent of a high-quality dub.

Remember when people would complain about the 10 dollar markup on a CD? mp3s are like an infinite markup...It would make sense if downloads cost at most, half as much as a CD...but I think itunes overall is an industry propped up by, I dunno, soccer moms who buy individual bottled water, who buy 5 dollar bags of chips on the airplane, who...trade Dwight Howard for Arron Afflalo - people who just like to bend over

Soren

Post by Soren »

Buy cds almost every week online.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Philaflava wrote:If the album is good enough, I'll def buy it. I'm a sucker for reissues too.

I go through phases where I re-buy stuff I lost. Then I chill, but I will always buy a physical release if I like the music enough, or to support an artist who isn't a multi millionaire or anything.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

i buy mostly on vinyl, but the occassional album that i really want that only drops on CD usually gets purchased too. i used to buy a lot more CDs though, and i agree about the space getting to be a problem after a while... still a big collection of music is priceless. i would say that my CD/LP collection is the most valuable material objects i own.

i'd only buy digital if it's an artist that i strongly want to support and that's the only way the music is being released, such as Showbiz & AG's two-three releases this year.
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

Soul Survivor

Post by Soul Survivor »

I tried switching to CDs for a couple of years in the 90s but it takes half the fun out for me. Plus these days, if I want a CD I can just burn one. I buy records all the time, digging is my only hobby.
Last edited by Soul Survivor on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't confuse me with that gangsta or backpack

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

I still buy CD's at any used music store I can find, usually Deja Vu Disc. I haven't bought an actual new CD in years, and I buy all of my vinyl online.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

I buy CD's only rarely, and only when it's something that's unavailable on wax. A good example is that Brand Nubian 'Time Is Running Out' or the Bumpy Knuckles 'Crazy Like a Foxx' 2CD (though why these didn't get the vinyl treatment is beyond me.) I'm a crackhead for vinyl though.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I have had a little fix of the dope re-issues, deluxe versions and box-sets this year.

This year alone I have purchased

Both Pete Rock & CL Smooth box-sets
all 3 Kool G Rap & Polo re-issued CD's.
The 3 CD BDP-Criminal Minded set (at a single CD price)
The GZA-Chess box-set
Both Pharcyde box-sets

I have that Masta Ace-Sittin on Chrome one on order (and really hope they give Slaughterhouse the box-set treatment)

I just don't see the point in spending (NZ)$30-35 on a CD with 15-20 tracks and a weak inlay when I can get 2-3 CD's with a fat booklet and extras for the same price.

Send One

Post by Send One »

I have an issue with paying for downloads. If I'm paying money, I need something I can hold. I'm also a sucker for liner notes. I need to know who produced/mixed, what studio it was recorded in, even who they shout out.

To answer the question, yes. I buy mostly old stuff on ebay and reissue boxsets. A few new releases here and there will warrant my money as well.

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

Pawnshops & used CD/ Record Stores are where I cop most of my CD`s from. The reasons are simple really.....LoL, I`m a cheap bastard & they fit my budget price~wise. They also tend to have the older joints that I`m lookin` for anyway...

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Of course I still buy CD's! It's all about that PHYSICAL copy cuz an mp3 don't mean SHIT to me. I typically buy full length albums on CD and 12" singles and EP's and all that on Vinyl, but when I really like an album, I'll buy it on both CD and Vinyl.

Last year, 2011, I bought over 130 releases on CD and Vinyl. I've been keepin up with ALL the latest releases since 1988 and have never taken a break. Currently I have close to 30,000 vinyls and close to 3,000 CD's, of which almost everything is Hiphop as in REAL Hiphop... none of that nerd rap nonsense or pop rap crap.

Architek

Post by Architek »

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^^ hahahahha mad props for the Twin Peaks clip.. i've been obsessed with David Lynch's features and series lately.. besides all the vinyl and CD's i've been buying i've also been buying his entire filmography on DVD :) best director ever?? yeah, quite possibly.
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

WiCkEd22 wrote:Of course I still buy CD's! It's all about that PHYSICAL copy cuz an mp3 don't mean SHIT to me. I typically buy full length albums on CD and 12" singles and EP's and all that on Vinyl, but when I really like an album, I'll buy it on both CD and Vinyl.

Last year, 2011, I bought over 130 releases on CD and Vinyl. I've been keepin up with ALL the latest releases since 1988 and have never taken a break. Currently I have close to 30,000 vinyls and close to 3,000 CD's, of which almost everything is Hiphop as in REAL Hiphop... none of that nerd rap nonsense or pop rap crap.
Image Wow, you really bought over 130 rap releases last year? There weren't even fifteen quality releases in 2011 including 90s stuff like the O.C. EPs.

I really hope at least 70% of your collection is spirited, original music like jazz, blues, soul, psychedelic rock, funk or stuff like this from the 60s and 70s.

thomasv

Post by thomasv »

word!! much love to wicked who supported and bought a copy of my album!

Architek

Post by Architek »

claaa7 wrote:^^ hahahahha mad props for the Twin Peaks clip.. i've been obsessed with David Lynch's features and series lately.. besides all the vinyl and CD's i've been buying i've also been buying his entire filmography on DVD :) best director ever?? yeah, quite possibly.
:leon:

P.S: :leon: