The NessTeeQuick Saga

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

nobs

The NessTeeQuick Saga

Post by nobs »

i recently was given a massive collection of cassette tapes. the majority of them were WBLS and KISS recordings of classic radio shows. sprinkled in there were several demos (Endangered Species etc), live shows and tons of amateurish beat tapes labeled by year and style.

they were all done by this dude G-Quick or Gran Quick. like i said, a lot of the beats were very amateurish. really sloppy loops and awful drums but there were so many that they needed to be sorted through. one of the tapes i popped in was labeled G Quick but also had the name Ness Tee on it and it looked like a mid to late 80s tape.

I gave these tapes to Aleph. He ripped the first one and told me to hold on. About a week later he tells me "dude there are several blank tapes with NessTee demos on it (produced by G-Quick). They went by the name of NessTeeQuick and over a spread of about 10 tapes recorded dozens of demos (each of which had 3 mixes or more that fluctuated in sound quality and displayed different loops or alternate mixes).

I did some research and realized the reason the guy who got these tapes for me from an abandoned storage unit did so because the unit had been deserted. G-Quick had passed away some time in the last 2 years. The unit was in Patterson, NJ. This whole guys life (demos, tapes he liked, and radio shows he recorded) were stuffed into several duffel bags and boxes...

After listening through all these demos of NessTeeQuick Aleph has come up with several bullet points....

-Group’s alternate name might have been Pro Style but I can’t call it. Let’s just stick w/Ness Tee Quick
-Ness Tee’s originally from Brownsville, Brooklyn and moved to Montclair, NJ (possibly where he met Quick)
-Started with a crew in 1981 called Devastating Force (or Devastating Four?), possibly with G-Quick.
-Early joints probably done in 1987
-G-Quick aliases: Rick Rude and Double R
-Also produced for a group called Well Known Strangers

Here are 14 demo cuts! ENJOY!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gxgygb

WiCkEd22

Re: The NessTeeQuick Saga

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Damn, good shit! And I love all the info you provide. Thanks.

Also, you're one lucky muthafucka to be gettin all the tapes you get from storage units and shit.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Ill shit, mad props as always Nobs :bow: :cheers:

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

I`m always interested in hearing something obscure, ish is greatly appreciated dogg!!!

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

wow...you keep finding more amazing demo's. Thanks so much for sharing.

Verge

Post by Verge »

wow, very interesting stuff. kinda sad how basically dudes life's work was just left in a duffel bag in a storage unit. Looking forward to hearing these tonight, thanks nobs and aleph!

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

Thanks for sharing, amazing find.

aleph

Post by aleph »

Verge wrote:wow, very interesting stuff. kinda sad how basically dudes life's work was just left in a duffel bag in a storage unit.
Yeah my sentiments exactly. It's fascinating how much you can learn about the guy's life from these tapes. And the evolution of his and Ness Tee's art from the 80s thru the 90s. You can see how refined their respective skills got as they worked and worked at it. G-Quick tweaked with every one of these joints to death; I'd love to know which were definitive versions. The song Express Yourself went thru a lot of changes, three versions wound up being very interesting.

Also I love how raw and not just innocent, but how "naive" these sound.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

As always, thanks very much Nobs and Aleph for sharing these rare finds and for dropping the back story on them. Downloading now and can't wait to listen.

:cheers: