Ras Kass-Goldyn Chyld (Official Version)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

DredScott

Re: Ras Kass-Goldyn Chyld (Official Version)

Post by DredScott »

bignormy wrote:
madstadik wrote:Kiss of death is cool but the og version on the unmastered van gogh promo kahlil flips an ill beatles sample. Featured rapper sideline (who i believe later went by scipio) had a diff verse as well! That version is superior in my opinion. Sample clearance issues!
If I remember correctly...
That version was called kiss u. Different hook

Actually that change may have come between the 2 van gogh versions .

One of the best ras joints from this time: the seance

yeah, on "Kiss U" that's the joint he dissed alchemist on right? after the "home sweet home" fiasco...

anyone got a good quality version of that joint. i always liked it better than the revamped version.

and from what i heard years ago, the last straw and real reason that "Goldyn Chyld" got shelved was that priority wanted to release "The Whoop" as the lead single and Dr. Dre and Ras wouldn't let them since they felt it wasn't the best way to promote the album (ras wanted the goldyn chyld remix to lead the lp) and priority said it's either that or your lp ain't dropping, then he got that DWI and the rest is history.

fuckin rassie...

and where the fuck is that Catch Me If You Can mixtape that was supposed to drop in hiphopsite back in 2003? that tracklisting looked sick as fuck and then it disappeared off the site and nobody has mentioned it since. we need that to leak.

and the seance is the best joint on GC by far IMO. i remember hearing the snippet of it on a dj ltn. dan mixtape back in summer of '03 and i killed that shit. took years til i got the full version though. the original version is slightly different from the lp version as the original version has an eminem vocal sample on the hook, which i assume they couldn't clear. although it's pretty minor, i prefer that version since it's the first version i ever heard.

here's a link to the o.g. version...

11-ras_kass-the_seance_(original)-split.mp3 - 12.5 MB

mr. porter and ras was a dope combo, that "bend a corner" cut they did was ill too.

Versive

Post by Versive »

DredScott wrote:and from what i heard years ago, the last straw and real reason that "Goldyn Chyld" got shelved was that priority wanted to release "The Whoop" as the lead single and Dr. Dre and Ras wouldn't let them since they felt it wasn't the best way to promote the album (ras wanted the goldyn chyld remix to lead the lp) and priority said it's either that or your lp ain't dropping, then he got that DWI and the rest is history.

fuckin rassie...
Yup, that's Ras Kass' word on it. It's easy to read over, but I linked the interview where he gives the whole story in my blog post. Here it is again: http://www.hiphop-elements.com/article/read/6/5905/1/

djcoma

Post by djcoma »

Wow I didn't think this would ever see the light of day! Unfortunately, all links are down. Any chance we could get a RE-UP? (pun intended)

Thanks in advance!

djcoma

Post by djcoma »

djcoma wrote:Wow I didn't think this would ever see the light of day! Unfortunately, all links are down. Any chance we could get a RE-UP? (pun intended)

Thanks in advance!
Bump. :cheers:

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

I'm a little confused about the tracklistings for Van Gogh and Goldyn Chyld. A lot of them are repeated and that's not to mention that I've found about 5+ different versions of Goldyn Chyld throughout the years.

Could someone that has both Van Gogh & Goldyn Chlyd please post their respective tracklists, cause I end up d/ling songs I already have like 3 times over.

djcoma

Post by djcoma »

KITFUNK wrote:I'm a little confused about the tracklistings for Van Gogh and Goldyn Chyld. A lot of them are repeated and that's not to mention that I've found about 5+ different versions of Goldyn Chyld throughout the years.

Could someone that has both Van Gogh & Goldyn Chlyd please post their respective tracklists, cause I end up d/ling songs I already have like 3 times over.
Ya the problem is there were some different advance/promo/retail versions of each album. There were a lot of fan made versions too that just compiled the songs on the retail tracklists from different sources. As far as Goldyn Chyld goes, the one uploaded in this thread was what was meant to be the retail. Would love it if somebody posted up some high quality rips of any of the actual Van Gogh versions, not just compiled.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

djcoma wrote:
KITFUNK wrote:I'm a little confused about the tracklistings for Van Gogh and Goldyn Chyld. A lot of them are repeated and that's not to mention that I've found about 5+ different versions of Goldyn Chyld throughout the years.

Ya the problem is there were some different advance/promo/retail versions of each album. There were a lot of fan made versions too that just compiled the songs on the retail tracklists from different sources. As far as Goldyn Chyld goes, the one uploaded in this thread was what was meant to be the retail. Would love it if somebody posted up some high quality rips of any of the actual Van Gogh versions, not just compiled.
I figured as much but thanks for the clarification. Also, word to the high quality rips of the actual Van Gogh album.

djcoma

Post by djcoma »

Anybody got the re-up? :bow:

foobar

Post by foobar »

djcoma wrote:Anybody got the re-up? :bow:

djcoma

Post by djcoma »

MAD PROPS BREEZE!!! :cheers: :bow:

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

I have the legit retail mastered rip of van gogh as well. Also acquired from raskass-central. Ill up it when i get to a computer lol. On mobile

Versive

Post by Versive »

madstadik wrote:I have the legit retail mastered rip of van gogh as well. Also acquired from raskass-central. Ill up it when i get to a computer lol. On mobile
:cheers: that's what's up

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

djcoma wrote:

Not to mention the fact that it's kind of 3 versions of the same album - The demo version of Van Gogh, the final version of Van Gogh (which both made it to promo CDRs), and then the retitled to Goldyn Chyld which AFAIK only made it to the masters which were supposedly stolen by Ras. And leaked on the dl and finally openly here.

djcoma

Post by djcoma »

madstadik wrote:I have the legit retail mastered rip of van gogh as well. Also acquired from raskass-central. Ill up it when i get to a computer lol. On mobile
Oh shit! Looking forward to this!!! :bow:

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

Post by HipHopInfinityRIPLOL »

:cheers:

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

"Soul On Ice" and "Rasassination" was really dope albums imo, the latter had a few weak songs but the real great tracks more than made up for it.

"Goldyn Child" was pretty far away from those two in quality, it had a lot of boring songs, but also a few extreme bangers like "Goldyn Child" remix, "The Bounce", the last track (was it "Revelations"), and a few others, but overall it was like a 2.5/5 release.

the official, mastered "Van Gogh" was even weaker imo, 2/5 imo.. i liked DJ Khalil's cuts on there "Kiss U" (and the preceeding Alchemist interlude was dope) and the title track, and a gang of others but it's easy to see why neither album was ever released.. from what i understand "Van Gogh" was Ras' third album, and when it was shelved he reworked it into "Goldyn Child". am i correct in this?
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

claaa7 wrote:"Soul On Ice" and "Rasassination" was really dope albums imo, the latter had a few weak songs but the real great tracks more than made up for it.

"Goldyn Child" was pretty far away from those two in quality, it had a lot of boring songs, but also a few extreme bangers like "Goldyn Child" remix, "The Bounce", the last track (was it "Revelations"), and a few others, but overall it was like a 2.5/5 release.

the official, mastered "Van Gogh" was even weaker imo, 2/5 imo.. i liked DJ Khalil's cuts on there "Kiss U" (and the preceeding Alchemist interlude was dope) and the title track, and a gang of others but it's easy to see why neither album was ever released.. from what i understand "Van Gogh" was Ras' third album, and when it was shelved he reworked it into "Goldyn Child". am i correct in this?
Definitely right about Van Gogh being reworked. I disagree though, I'd say Van Gogh and Goldyn Chyld were a notch above Rassassination - there were only a few good songs on that one - most of the songs had some promise but had some glaring flaw. I'd put Rassassination below everything else he'd done.

Best song on Van Gogh and those was "the Seance", one of his best ever. TV Guide was on Van Gogh; there was plenty on Van Gogh / Goldyn Chyld that topped anything on Rasassination.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

yeah "Seance" was crazy, but i never cared for "TV Guide".. the lyrical concept was ice and well executed, but as a song it didn't do anything for me. but to each his own, to me at least half of "Rasassination" was really good, and there were some songs in the 3/5 area on top of that, besides some obvious junk. but the two joints Easy Mo Bee hooked him up with there made up for that imo....

there's also a great '95 track on a rare Diamond D 12" that has Ras Kass together with K. Terrible, John Dough and that guy Big Red who had that superb 12" with Diamond called "Created A Monster". they formed a group called Fantastic 4 for this release and it was really great.. Diamond on production of course. it's called "You're in the Wrong Place":

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

claaa7 wrote:yeah "Seance" was crazy, but i never cared for "TV Guide".. the lyrical concept was ice and well executed, but as a song it didn't do anything for me. but to each his own, to me at least half of "Rasassination" was really good, and there were some songs in the 3/5 area on top of that, besides some obvious junk. but the two joints Easy Mo Bee hooked him up with there made up for that imo.... it also had "Interview with a Vampire" which i really loved, plus i thought Stu-B-Doo came through with some real heat on most of his contributions; the original Aftermath producer camp was pretty damn dope with Dre, Budd'ah, Stu-B-Doo and Mel Man. also Big Jaz had a banger on there, but it was too long with too much filler and the songs by that guy Flip was straight up wack. still a good album by all accounts in my book.

there's also a great '95 track on a rare Diamond D 12" that has Ras Kass together with K. Terrible, John Dough and that guy Big Red who had that superb 12" with Diamond called "Created A Monster". they formed a group called Fantastic 4 for this release and it was really great.. Diamond on production of course. it's called "You're in the Wrong Place":

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

Anyone have a lead on this Ras Kass track, one of his first? The 12" isn't even on discogs, although oddly it is on amazon.com

Wild West Corral (Ras Kass, Torche, B.O.X., The Chronic[Ganjah K?]) - Trick or Treat

http://www.amazon.com/Trick-Treat-Wild- ... 05&sr=1-14

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Rassassination coulda been a more solid album if undertandable smooth, music of the business and overtime didnt get cut for sample clearance reasons. Woulda added muh more balance to that lp. I always had a soft spot for rasassination for some reason. Btw anyone got a version of overtime w no dj drops? The beat is crazy and rassy goes in!

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

Post by HipHopInfinityRIPLOL »

here's the song with no dj promo voice, however it's not as good in quality as the ones with talking. also, here's another song that that flipped the sample better - at least i think so. b side is also dope.

http://www.multiup.org/download/992da5a ... 007/nf.rar
pw:8HP8rkrtFkFKMtF9l3vC

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

^doesn't work...

edit: works now - don't know why site didn't load before

thx
Last edited by Stieflkater on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpg_tharow

Post by dpg_tharow »

First post and imm going to make a request lol Do you have this version o Van Gogh http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3531074

it has Oral Sex and Home Sweet Home on there and is 20trk and not 22trks.

Props for uploading Goldyn Chyld tho, shit is bumping :)

djcoma

Post by djcoma »

madstadik wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/?xrx9c29hkwr68c3

Mastered Van Gogh

Been after proper copies of these albums for years, mad props! I wish they were in 320 kbps but either way they sound waaay better than the other rips that were floating around, which weren't mastered, so I can't complain! Did you get both of these rips from the same person?

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

Never seen that version. I've got both promo cdr versions, plain back cover, no front cover. Passed up that "UK" version it looked so fake...I kinda regret it tho

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

I own the mastered promo w the interludes. I plan on ripping it V0

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

That one w oral sex is fake. Oral sex was part of a compilation called aggronation or some shit. I have a promo cd of oral sex. And a 12" of home sweet home/4 much. I am new to ripping vinyl. I am using a reg turntable and the uphono202 by behringer. The sound quality and peak levels are not what i hoped for. I am recording w audacity. Any advice