A look back at the best in 1993 Hip Hop Part 1 (LP's)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Jaz
Ease Up

A look back at the best in 1993 Hip Hop Part 1 (LP's)

Post by Jaz »

http://dj-jaz.tumblr.com/post/393752206 ... 93-hip-hop

It was quite staggering to look back on 20 years since 1992 (a truly great year that gave us so much dope music and culture) last year so it is only right to focus on the classic and essential albums (and some not overly classic but still worth listening to) from 1993 and of course the greatest album from that year is still one of the dopest debut’s in Hip Hop history and launched the mighty Wu-Tang Clan (suuuuuuuuuuuuuu) to the World (not to mention a thousand copy cat artists and labels that came and went)…

1993 was a dope year for me personally as well, I was doing a lot of gigs with the Ebony Beats Crew (mobile, clubs and parties) as well as running the Wednesday Nite Jam show on Radio Active (fat shout outs to Rainman, Don Luchito, DJ Pops, DJ Raw, Mu, Mikki-D, DJ Uche, Apollo and Jake to all of DJ’s and crew and of course a special mention to the faithful old WNJ listeners of that era…I see you AL ;)

I had a full-time job as a kitchen-hand and I was living in the central city…a couple of highlights were hosting a release party for Cypress Hill’s Black Sunday LP and playing a warehouse party with over 400 people and playing everything from Zapp, Led Zep to Run DMC to Kraftwerk to a really appreciative crowd.

Aside from what I previously mentioned 1993 had so much else to offer like classic debuts from the likes of Black Moon, Snoop Dogg, Akinyele,Souls of Mischief, Tha Alakaholiks,Threat, Fat Joe, Kam, Da King and I, The Roots and Masta Ace’s crew Masta Ace Inc and heads were bumping hardcore Hip Hop, Jazz Hip Hop (or Jazz-Hop) with the late, great Guru releasing the first in his Jazzamatazz series, Ragga Hip Hop, G-Funk and Gangster Rap, Bass Music in their rides, on CD on their stereos or hitting the streets and getting lost in the music in their walk-man (kids today just have no idea what is was like to put tape back together with sellotape and to have to use a pencil or pen and run the reels round on one side to get to the next side faster, I feel mad privileged to have lived through that time and age…The Source, Rap Sheet and Rap Pages magazines were the bibles and I always loved picking up the latest copy of each, along with a fresh new tape or CD from legendary record stores in Wellington, New Zealand like The Soul Mine (RIP), Colin Morris Records (RIP), Slow Boat Records and others.

So what did 1993 bring other than the mighty Wu?

The main and most prolific producers were many that are still putting in work in this day and age, The RZA, DJ Premier, Da Beatminerz, Large Professor, DJ Muggs, Erick Sermon, Marley Marl, DITC (Showbiz, Lord Finesse, Diamond-D etc), The Beatnuts, Pete Rock, Dr Dre and the legendary Houston label Rap-A-Lot was responsible for a handful of classic Gangster Rap albums in 1993.

It would be really time consuming to discuss every album (will do a post on singles and EP’s at a later date) so here is a list of what I think are the essential Hip Hop albums from 1993 that you should check out if you haven’t or for the old heads to reminisce like PR & CL did T-Roy on what a truly memorable year 1993 was…

The LP’s:

Baby Chill-Wake Up Call (unreleased)

and what I consider to be the greatest Ragga-Hip Hop compilation of all time

Edit: I forgot that EDO.G & Da Bulldogs-Roxbury 02119 was also released in 1993, for some reason I thought it was early 1994, but I was wrong and have added it.

One
Last edited by Jaz on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Jaz
Ease Up

Re: A look back at the best in 1993 Hip Hop Part 1

Post by Jaz »

What was TROY heads top album of '93?

step one

Post by step one »

ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

So many great albums and songs that year, and just one of my favorite times in my life thus far. High School was mad fun.

I honestly can't call it between Wu Tang, Tribe and Black Moon. Just depends what mood I am in at the moment. 93 til Infinity, Doggystyle, Masta Ace and so many others from that year are mad memorable as well. Great times..

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

pradadon wrote:So many great albums and songs that year, and just one of my favorite times in my life thus far. High School was mad fun.

I honestly can't call it between Wu Tang, Tribe and Black Moon. Just depends what mood I am in at the moment. 93 til Infinity, Doggystyle, Masta Ace and so many others from that year are mad memorable as well. Great times..
True indeed pradadon :cheers:

Kool Max Power

Re: A look back at the best in 1993 Hip Hop Part 1 (LP's)

Post by Kool Max Power »

Some classic stuff on your list - my personal top 5: Akinyele, Tribe, De La, Wu, and Ultramagnetic. Honorable mention: Black Moon, Scarface, Geto Boys.

Nevertheless, '93 looks kinda weak compared to 1992 and 1994. Lots of half-assed albums...

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Kool Max Power wrote:Some classic stuff on your list - my personal top 5: Akinyele, Tribe, De La, Wu, and Ultramagnetic. Honorable mention: Black Moon, Scarface, Geto Boys.

Nevertheless, '93 looks kinda weak compared to 1992 and 1994. Lots of half-assed albums...
:lol: name the half-assed one's please KMP...I never said all of these are classic, just worth listening to.

ecwclown

Post by ecwclown »

My favorite is definitely Return of the Boom Bap. It doesn't get nearly enough love as an all-time classic.

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

Jaz wrote:
Kool Max Power wrote:Some classic stuff on your list - my personal top 5: Akinyele, Tribe, De La, Wu, and Ultramagnetic. Honorable mention: Black Moon, Scarface, Geto Boys.

:lol: name the half-assed one's please KMP...I never said all of these are classic, just worth listening to.
Out of the ones you listed: MF911, Fat Joe (great beats, some nice features, at best mediocre headliner), Rumpletilskinz (needless LONS spin-off), LONS (back then, I was very disappointed with their second album), Kam, Das EFX, Ice Cube, BDK, YoYo, Madstyle, MC Lyte, Figure Uv Speech, Mesanjarz Of Funk, Da Youngstas (production was very good, never like the emceeing), Circle Of Power, Class A Felony (although I still like "I Can't Take No More" and the 45 King beats), Mysterme & DJ 20/20, Nuff Ruffness, Tim Dog, Run DMC (except for the first single, it was a big disappointment), Knucklehedz. Have no need to listen to these albums again in my life...just my personal view.

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

I would have to go either Wu or Souls....both got an insane amount of spins that year.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Kool Max Power wrote:
Jaz wrote:

Out of the ones you listed: MF911, Fat Joe (great beats, some nice features, at best mediocre headliner), Rumpletilskinz (needless LONS spin-off), LONS (back then, I was very disappointed with their second album), Kam, Das EFX, Ice Cube, BDK, YoYo, Madstyle, MC Lyte, Figure Uv Speech, Mesanjarz Of Funk, Da Youngstas (production was very good, never like the emceeing), Circle Of Power, Class A Felony (although I still like "I Can't Take No More" and the 45 King beats), Mysterme & DJ 20/20, Nuff Ruffness, Tim Dog, Run DMC (except for the first single, it was a big disappointment), Knucklehedz. Have no need to listen to these albums again in my life...just my personal view.
yeah I was just listening to the MF 911 and it was alright the same with Rumpletilskinz, Mysterme and DJ 20/20 and Nuff Ruffness, agree with Da Youngstas and Tim Dog and Run DMC, but disagree with the Figure Uv Speech, Kam, Knucklehedz, Ice Cube and YoYo, Circle of Power and Class A Felony opinion as those albums are all dope and have aged well to me, but thanks for your feedback and input Kool Max Power.

More Gravy Please

Post by More Gravy Please »

Man, so many good albums in there and so many great memories (I was 16 when these came out).

It's quite tough, but I'll go with these as a Top 5:

1. Souls of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity
2. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
3. Wu Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang
4. Del The Funky Homosapien - No Need For Alarm
5. Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
(although depending on my mood I could quite easily swap Black Moon with Masta Ace's Slaughtahouse or Brand Nubian's In God We Trust)
Return of the Boom Bap and Here Come the Lords are also up there.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I always liked The Aftermath by Da Youngstas, I understand they weren't exactly the best lyricists but didn't think they were wack by any means. I can remember most the lyrics from the whole album, to me they brought a young aggressive energy on the mic and made good songs overall.

I agree with More Gravy Please's list 93 Til most likely had the most spins out my 93 album collection that year.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Nice post Jaz. Man, that was one of the best years of my life. Makes you realize how sad the state of hip hop is now. There were albums worth buying every few weeks in 93. Now, I'm lucky if I want more than a few per year now.

My top 5 are:

1. Wu-Tang (my fav album of that year)
2. Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
3. Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
4. Souls of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity
5. Snoop - Doggystyle

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

More Gravy Please
fatboybrandon
djfilthyrich

Much love and props for your feedback, lists and thoughts :cheers:

Macdaddy_93

Post by Macdaddy_93 »

I only got into hip hop in late 93 so my top 5 would be:

Snoop - Doggystyle
Onyx - Bacdafucup
Wu-Tang - Enter The 36 Chambers
Ice Cube - Lethal Injection
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

All of these are still on heavy roation 20 years on.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

djfilthyrich wrote:Man, that was one of the best years of my life. Makes you realize how sad the state of hip hop is now.
That's a whole nother thread topic, the lifestyle differences and memories between then and now associated with Hip Hop. I hope people get from in front of their computer and enjoy themselves, though it's not the same vibe as 93 since we have less classics coming out.

I can relate to '93 being one of he best years of my life as well. That summer was a great time, I remember spending it with my cousin/best friend in Maryland in the midst of listening to all these classics come out. I didn't have much worries at the time since I was just beginning my teens. I remember seeing MC Lyte in person during an in store she had near my cousin's house for her Ain't No Other album. I saw Redman perform in South Florida that same summer for his tour of Whut Thee Album.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Macdaddy_93

Post by Macdaddy_93 »

djfilthyrich wrote:Man, that was one of the best years of my life
Same here hence the 93 in my user name. I was only 14 at the time but so much happened in that year it has stuck with me. Discovering Hip Hop, good friends who shared the same musical tastes, drinking MD 20/20, dressing in Lumberjack & Plaid shirts, girls, house partys, breaking the law etc..good times!

Alpha Flight

Post by Alpha Flight »

these albums all came out within 2 months of eachother

36 Chambers
Midnight Maurauders
Buhloone Mindstate
Enta Da Stage
Return of the Boom Bap
No Pressure
'93 Till Infinity
No Need For Alarm
Doggystyle

my favorite time period in hip-hop, by far.