How did you rate BDK-It Looks Like A Job For (1993) LP?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Jaz
Ease Up

How did you rate BDK-It Looks Like A Job For (1993) LP?

Post by Jaz »

I personally think that It Looks Like A Job For...has aged well and tracks like the Three Dog Night "Old Fashioned Love Song" sampling (one of my favourite samples of all time) "How U Get A Record Deal" and "Stop Shammin", "Chocolate City", "N----z Never Learn", The Beef Is On", "Here Comes Kane, Scoob, Scrap..." "Rest In Peace" are great examples of 92/93 Hip Hop.

After his track "Nuff Respect" (the remix appeared on this album) featured on the Juice soundtrack, Big Daddy Kane had made listeners stand at attention again and by 1993 the market was heavily flooded with a lot of new MC's and groups, fast rhymers, One hit wonders, Gangster and Hardcore Rappers and BDK seemed mad eager to hold on to his one of the greatest title with this album his fifth released on Cold Chillin'/Reprise records.

Trackmasterz, Large Professor, Easy Mo Bee, Mister Cee, Cool V and Hank Shocklee and Gary G. Wiz Kane himself all supplied dope beats to this album, it's not a classic Kane album and there was a cheesy R&B moment that should have been left on the cutting room floor (and was done so much better by Grand Puba a few years later, the remix was decent though), but it was predominately hardcore Kane and a lot better than the previous Taste of Chocolate and Prince of Darkness albums.

Very Special (Underground Mix)

Code: Select all

http://www2.zshare.ma/h4dcprbmrywm
Check this interview from 1993...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbi6uv ... view_music

Thoughts?

fatboybrandon

Re: How did you rate BDK-It Looks Like A Job For (1993) LP?

Post by fatboybrandon »

I'm gonna need to re-up that Kane interview video, I see Dailymotion's video quality it's too good.

I remember thinking it was an alright album back in 93 because I was in the midst of experiencing a bunch of other greater albums coming out at the time. When I go back to it today I get a better impression of it but still it feels like an alright Kane album compared to his first 3. With classics dropping and new groups emerging like The Wu back in '93 it was hard to focus on Kane's music at the time. He seemed to be in the midst of trying to reinvent himself toward the hardcore era while other people were coming out the gate blazing with classic material.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I loved it when it first dropped. Lyrically it took a step back but the beats and style worked for this album. He was def trying to reinvent himself like Brandon said.

step one

Post by step one »

Got a bit overlooked with so many amazing albums coming out but I really liked 'Da Beef Is On'. Its still one of my favourite Kane tracks now. The lyrics and narrative are kinda similar to G Rap's 'On The Run' which makes me wonder if he had a hand in writing it for Kane.
Cant remember much about the rest of the album (my single vinyl copy is mad quiet) apart from How U Get A Record Deal. Might have to revisit it though.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

Dug this out a while back and was shocked at how good it was. Seemed boring first time around.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I remember riding around in a car with my cousin in the summer of '93 and Very Special with Spinderella was getting play on mainstream radio. For a song about the females I thought that was a good one. I always loved Stop Shammin' from the first time I heard it and still do to this day, it was definitely a standout song to me.

Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

:cheers: for all of the feedback and comments.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I'd say it's close to if not about as good as "A taste of chocolate" (which I loved about half of). Definitely not an album I look back on a feel bad for Kane about. He did his thing.
I haven't peeped it in a long ass time but "Stop Shammin" was also my favorite cut on that album.

mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

I like it more than A Taste Of Chocolate. Marley Marl's presence is missed on the album. The tracks I played most are The Beef Is On and Niggaz Never Learn. I also like how Easy Mo Bee sampled Grand Puba's line from Fat Rat on the Nuff Respect remix. If I have to nitpick, the first 2 songs on the album (the title track and How U Get A Record Deal) were both produced by Trackmasterz and both used the Synthetic Substitution breakbeat. That's a little lazy.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

mudfoot wrote:I like it more than A Taste Of Chocolate. Marley Marl's presence is missed on the album. The tracks I played most are The Beef Is On and Niggaz Never Learn. I also like how Easy Mo Bee sampled Grand Puba's line from Fat Rat on the Nuff Respect remix. If I have to nitpick, the first 2 songs on the album (the title track and How U Get A Record Deal) were both produced by Trackmasterz and both used the Synthetic Substitution breakbeat. That's a little lazy.
haha yeah but they were both dope and remember that Das EFX used the "It's A New Day" drums 3 times ("Mic Checka", "East Coast" & "Straight Out The Sewer") and "Blind Alley" twice ("Jussumen", "Klap Ya Handz") on the Dead Serious album, plus they used the Skull Snaps twice again on the Straight Up Sewaside LP.

Not to forget that RZA used the "Synthetic Substution" break twice on the debut WTC album, sometime it just what fits snd what MC's pattern thier flows around.
Last edited by Jaz on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boothe

Post by Boothe »

I never had it in high rotation, but I thought it was a solid release.

The tracks I played most were Record Deal, Chocolate City, and Give it to Me. (that Pleasure sample is a winner)

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

thoughts on the album Taste of Chocolate? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYWuN0UUges
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Jedisdope wrote:thoughts on the album Taste of Chocolate? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYWuN0UUges
haha yeah I saw that.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Still bump How You Get A Record Deal? regularly.
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru