Dropped Same Day: Retrospective

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner(s).

Enter the 36 Chambers vs. Midnight Marauders.
18%
Runaway Slave vs. Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop vs. Whut? Thee Album.
10%
'93 'til Infinity vs. 187 He Wrote vs. Return of the Boom Bap.
5%
Blowout Comb vs. The Diary vs. (Twista's) Resurrection vs. Word...Life.
2%
Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous vs. Rollin' Wit' Dana Dane vs. Return to the 36 Chambers.
4%
Ill Communication vs. Nuttin' But Love vs. On the Outside Looking In vs. The Sun Rises in the East.
2%
The Ablist vs. A Prince Among Thieves vs. The Slim Shady LP vs. Street Cinema vs. Things Fall Apart vs. War Zone.
2%
Da Hood vs. Doe or Die vs. KRS-One vs. Last Chance, No Breaks vs. No Man's Land vs. South Central Los Skanless.
2%
Aquemini vs. Enquiring Minds vs. Foundation vs. The Love Movement vs. Vol.2... Hard Knock Life vs. Word On Tha Streets.
4%
Doom vs. The Equinox vs. Phenomenon vs. When Disaster Strikes... vs. X-pressions.
1%
Apache Ain't Shit vs. Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde vs. Hard or Smooth vs. Live and Let Die.
2%
The Final Tic vs. h vs. It Was Written vs. Stakes is High.
2%
I Wish My Brother George Was Here vs. A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.
4%
Between a Rock and a Hard Place vs. The Dead Has Arisen vs. Like It Should Be vs. Nervous Breakdown vs. Play Witcha Mama vs. Resurrection vs. Ruthless By Law.
2%
Death Certificate vs. Organized Konfusion vs. Prince of Darkness.
1%
The 18th Letter vs. In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 vs. The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological & Electro-Magnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness vs. Vendetta.
2%
All Balls Don't Bounce vs. All We Got Iz Us vs. Do or Die vs. Jealous One's Envy vs. Smile Now, Die Later vs. Take a Ride.
1%
Coast II Coast vs. Season of Da Siccness vs. World Ultimate.
3%
Internal Affairs vs. My Own vs. So... How's Your Girl?.
1%
Blunted on Reality vs. Fadanuf Fa Erybody!! vs. Fear Itself vs. Welcome to America.
1%
Riders of the Storm: The Underwater Album vs. 6 Feet Deep.
2%
Generation EFX vs. The Next Step vs. The Pillage vs. 3rd Eye Vision.
2%
Down With the King vs. Kill My Landlord vs. SlaughtaHouse vs. Which Doobie U B?.
2%
Eazy-Duz-It vs. Let the Hustlers Play vs. Power.
1%
AmeriKKKa's Nightmare vs. Behind Bars vs. Dare Iz a Darkside.
5%
The Skills Dat Pay Da Bills vs. Tricks of the Shade.
2%
40 Dayz & 40 Nightz vs. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill vs. Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star vs. Whatcha Gonna Do?.
2%
From Where??? vs. The Score.
2%
Soul Survivor vs. Steal This Album.
1%
The Biz Never Sleeps vs. The Iceberg / Freedom of Speech... Just Watch What You Say!.
1%
Black Mafia Life vs. Dead Enz Kidz Doin' Lifetime Bidz vs. In God We Trust.
1%
The Album vs. Hatred, Passions and Infidelity.
2%
Black Reign vs. Hand on the Torch vs. Shock of the Hour vs. Straight Up Sewaside.
1%
The New World Order vs. Soul On Ice.
2%
Da Storm vs. Dubee A.K.A. Sugawolf vs. Ironman.
2%
Quik is the Name vs. Step in the Arena.
3%
Gangsta's Paradise vs. Kill the Rhythm vs. Livin' Proof vs. Mr. Smith vs. Soul Food.
2%
Paul's Boutique vs. Unfinished Business.
4%
A Future Without a Past... vs. Peaceful Journey vs. The Ruler's Back.
1%

Total votes: 125

TheBigSleep

Dropped Same Day: Retrospective

Post by TheBigSleep »

Tuesdays, 1988 through 1999.

Pick your favorite and / or the best match up(s), doesn't matter.

Dropped Same Day(s):
Guerrillas in tha Mist vs. Runaway Slave vs. Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop vs. Whut? Thee Album.
Blowout Comb vs. The Diary vs. (Twista's) Resurrection vs. Word...Life.
Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous vs. Rollin' Wit' Dana Dane vs. Return to the 36 Chambers.
Ahmad vs. Ill Communication vs. Nuttin' But Love vs. On the Outside Looking In vs. The Sun Rises in the East.
The Ablist vs. A Prince Among Thieves vs. The Slim Shady LP vs. Street Cinema vs. Things Fall Apart vs. War Zone.
Da Hood vs. Doe or Die vs. KRS-One vs. Last Chance, No Breaks vs. No Man's Land vs. South Central Los Skanless.
Aquemini vs. Enquiring Minds vs. Foundation vs. The Love Movement vs. Vol.2... Hard Knock Life vs. Word On Tha Streets.
Doom vs. The Equinox vs. Phenomenon vs. When Disaster Strikes... vs. X-pressions.
Apache Ain't Shit vs. Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde vs. Hard or Smooth vs. Live and Let Die.
The Final Tic vs. h vs. It Was Written vs. Stakes is High.
Between a Rock and a Hard Place vs. The Dead Has Arisen vs. Like It Should Be vs. Nervous Breakdown vs. Play Witcha Mama vs. Resurrection vs. Ruthless By Law.
Death Certificate vs. Organized Konfusion vs. Prince of Darkness.
The 18th Letter vs. In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 vs. The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological & Electro-Magnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness vs. Vendetta.
All Balls Don't Bounce vs. All We Got Iz Us vs. Do or Die vs. Jealous One's Envy vs. Smile Now, Die Later vs. Take a Ride.
Internal Affairs vs. My Own vs. So... How's Your Girl?.
Blunted on Reality vs. Fadanuf Fa Erybody!! vs. Fear Itself vs. Welcome to America.
Riders of the Storm: The Underwater Album vs. 6 Feet Deep.
Generation EFX vs. The Next Step vs. The Pillage vs. 3rd Eye Vision.
Down With the King vs. Kill My Landlord vs. SlaughtaHouse vs. Which Doobie U B?.
Eazy-Duz-It vs. Let the Hustlers Play vs. Power.
AmeriKKKa's Nightmare vs. Behind Bars vs. Dare Iz a Darkside.
The Skills Dat Pay Da Bills vs. Tricks of the Shade.
40 Dayz & 40 Nightz vs. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill vs. Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star vs. Whatcha Gonna Do?.
From Where??? vs. The Score.
Soul Survivor vs. Steal This Album.
The Biz Never Sleeps vs. The Iceberg / Freedom of Speech... Just Watch What You Say!.
Black Mafia Life vs. Dead Enz Kidz Doin' Lifetime Bidz vs. In God We Trust.
The Album vs. Hatred, Passions and Infidelity.
Black Reign vs. Hand on the Torch vs. Shock of the Hour vs. Straight Up Sewaside.
The New World Order vs. Soul On Ice.
Gangsta's Paradise vs. Kill the Rhythm vs. Livin' Proof vs. Mr. Smith vs. Soul Food.
A Future Without a Past... vs. Peaceful Journey vs. The Ruler's Back.
Well that's a wrap. Thirty nine weeks, that's nine months, three quarters of a year. Seems like a good place to stop. I'm clearly running out of ideas and this series has already started to overstay its welcome anyway.

For the record, the ones still in a dead tie at the moment are:

Between a Rock and a Hard Place and Resurrection.

(Also Runaway Slave and Whut? Thee Album, though Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop is beating both. Same with All Balls Don't Bounce and Jealous One's Envy in second place to All We Got Iz Us.)

Winning by one vote right now:

Return of the Boom Bap over '93 'til Infinity.
It Was Written over Stakes is High.
The Iceberg / Freedom of Speech... Just Watch What You Say! over The Biz Never Sleeps.

And for contrast, the biggest win was:

Jeru the Damaja's The Sun Rises in the East with eighty five percent of the vote.

Most LPs in one day:

Seven.

The artists who appeared twice include:

The Beastie Boys, Brand Nubian, The Coup, Das EFX, Diamond D, The Fugees, Heavy D & the Boyz, Ice-T, Jay-Z, KRS-One, LL Cool J, Organized Konfusion, Redman, Slick Rick, Souls of Mischief, Spice 1 & A Tribe Called Quest.

Of those, the multiple time winners were:

Diamond D and KRS-One.

By the way, I'm not closing the polls so some of those results may be subject to change.

The reason for this last best of the Dropped Same Day series is merely for my own interest. Vote for as many or as few as you'd like. Feel free to discuss the matches you did or didn't like, as well as any in which you were surprised by the results (or simply the fact that these albums shared a release date at all). Some of the most liked ones could potentially be cherry picked to be featured on the T.R.O.Y. Blog and we can see how they fare with that crowd perhaps? Just throwin' out thoughts.

In case anyone cares, here are the leftovers that I kept track of (most thought of by me, plus a few suggestions by others):
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013 ... -the-1990s

Poverty Paradise / Sittin' On Chrome.
Kool G Rap and DJ Polo's Road To The Riches is released on 3/14/89
Geto Boys' Grip It! On That Other Level is released on 3/12/89
De La Soul's Buhloone Mindstate is released on 9/21/1993
Digable Planets' Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space) is released on 9/27/1993
Lords of the Underground's Here Come the Lords is released on 9/27/1993
Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP is released on 5/23/2000
Deltron 3030's Deltron 3030 is released on 5/23/2000
Naughty By Nature's Naughty by Nature is released on 9/3/1991
Nice & Smooth's Ain't a Damn Thing Changed is released on 9/3/1991
Scarface's Mr. Scarface is Back is released on 10/3/1991
Public Enemy's Apocalypse 91...The Enemy Strikes Black is released on 10/3/1991
Organized Konfusion's Organized Konfusion is released on 10/29/1991
Ice Cube's Death Certificate is released on 10/29/1991
Too Short's Short Dog's in the House is released on 8/27/1990
LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out is released on 8/27/1990
Snoop Dogg Tha Doggfather is released on 11/12/1996
Lil' Kim's Hard Core is released on 11/12/1996
Company Flow's Funcrusher Plus is released on 7/28/1997
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's The Art of War is released on 7/27/1997
Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle is released on 11/23/1993
Del the Funky Homosapien's No Need for Alarm is released on 11/23/1993
August 27, 1990: LL Cool J, Mama Said Knock You Out vs. Too Short, Short Dog's In The House
September 3, 1991: Naughty By Nature vs. Nice & Smooth, Aint' A Damn Thing Changed
October 18th, 1994 – Genocide & Juice
November 22, 1994: Slick Rick, Behind Bars vs. Redman, Dare Iz A Darkside vs. Ice Cube, Bootlegs & B-Sides
April 27, 1999: Mobb Deep, Murda Muzik vs. Naughty By Nature, Nineteen Naughty Nine: Nature's Fury vs. Rawkus Records, Soundbombing II
October 22, 1991: I Wish My Brother George Was Here by Del tha Funkee Homosapien and A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing by Black Sheep
October 29, 1991 (a week later): Death Certificate by Ice Cube and Organized Konfusion
September 27, 1993: Here Come the Lords by Lords of the Underground and Reachin' by Digable Planets
November 23, 1993: No Need for Alarm by Del and Doggystyle by Snoop Dogg
October 18, 1994: The Diary by Scarface and Word... Life by O.C. and Blowout Comb by Digable Planets
November 7, 1995: Soul Food by Goodie Mob and Liquid Swords by GZA
February 13, 1996: All Eyez on Me by 2Pac and The Score by The Fugees (maybe the best two albums that year)
September 16, 1997: When Disaster Strikes by Busta Rhymes and The Pick, the Sickle and the Shovel by Gravediggaz
January 5, 1999: Soundpieces: Da Antidote! by Lootpack and Operation: Doomsday by MF Doom (five years later Doom and Madlib from Lootpack would form one of raps greatest duos, so I found it weird that they basically released their debut albums the same day)
October 19, 1999: So...Hows Your Girl? by Handsome Boy Modeling School and Internal Affairs by Pharoahe Monch
No Need for Alarm / Doggystyle.
Nastradamus / Amplified
9.28.1993 Digable Planet's classic debut album "Reachin' Here Come the Lords by Lords of the Underground.
De La Soul's Buhloone Mindstate is released on 9/21/1993 October 18th, 1994 – Genocide & Juice

March 14th, 1989 – Geto Boys' Grip It! On That Other Level vs. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo's Road to the Riches.

August 27th, 1990 – LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out vs. Too Short's Short Dog's In The House.

September 3rd, 1991 – Naughty By Nature's Naughty By Nature vs. Nice & Smooth's Aint' A Damn Thing Changed.
October 3rd, 1991 – Public Enemy's Apocalypse '91 vs. Scarface's Mr. Scarface is Back.
November 12th, 1991 – Tim Dog's Penicillin on Wax vs. 2Pac's 2Pacalypse Now.

April 27th, 1993 – Freestyle Fellowship's Innercity Griots vs. MC Breed's New Breed vs. Pete Nice and DJ Richie Rich's Dust to Dust.
May 25th, 1993 – Big Daddy Kane's Looks Like a Job For vs. South Central Cartel's Livin' in a Crime Wave vs. Y'all So Stupid's Van Full of Pakistans.
September 27th, 1993 – Digable Planet's Reachin' vs. Lords of the Underground's Here Come the Lords.
November 23rd, 1993 – Del's No Need for Alarm vs. Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle.

April 26th, 1994 – Anotha Level's On Anotha Level vs. OutKast's Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik.
November 1st, 1994 – Brand Nubian's Everything is Everything vs. Lords of the Underground's Keepers of the Funk.

March 14th, 1995 – E-40's In a Major Way vs. 2Pac's Me Against the World.
May 2nd, 1995 – Masta Ace's Sittin' on Chrome vs. Naughty By Nature's Poverty's Paradise.
June 20th, 1995 – Dayton Family's What's On My Mind? vs. 5th Ward Juvenilez' Deadly Groundz vs. Grand Puba's 2000 vs. Mack 10's Mack 10 vs. MC Breed's Big Baller vs. Miilkbone's Da' Miilkrate vs. Mystikal's Mystikal.
September 26th, 1995 – Damu Ridas' Damu Ridas vs. Das EFX's Hold It Down vs. Doug E. Fresh's Play vs. Kool G. Rap's 4, 5, 6 vs. Nationwide Rip Ridaz' Nationwide Rip Ridaz vs. RBX's RBX Files.
October 31st, 1995 – Cypress Hill's Temple of Boom vs. Dogg Pound's Dogg Food.
November 7th, 1995 – Erick Sermon's Double or Nothing vs. Goodie Mob's Soul Food vs. GZA's Liquid Swords.

June 25th, 1996 – Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt vs. Prince Paul's Psychoanalysis.
October 15th, 1996 – Da Bush Babee's Gravity vs. Jeru the Damaja's Wrath of the Math vs. Xzibit's At the Speed of Light.
November 12th, 1996 – Eminem's Infinite vs. Lil' Kim's Hardcore vs. Snoop Dogg's Tha Doggfather.

November 19th, 1996 – Almighty RSO's Doomsday: Forever RSO vs. DJ Shadow's Entroducing..... vs. Flesh-N-Bone's T.H.U.G.S. vs. Foxy Brown's Ill Na Na vs. Mobb Deep's Hell On Earth vs. Shaquille O'Neal's You Can't Stop the Reign.
July 28th, 1997 – Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's The Art of War vs. Company Flow's Funcrusher Plus.
August 19th, 1997 – O.C.'s Jewelz vs. Royal Flush's Ghetto Millionaire.
September 16th, 1997 – Busta Rhymes' When Disaster Strikes vs. Gravdiggaz' The Pick, the Sickle, and the Shovel.

April 28th, 1998 – Big Daddy Kane's Veteranz Day vs. Big Pun's Capital Punishment vs. Mac Dre's Stupid Doo Doo Dumb.
May 19th, 1998 – DMX's It's Dark & Hell is Hot vs. Eightball's Lost vs. Soulja Slim's Give It 2 Em Raw.
July 14th, 1998 – Beastie Boys' Hello Nasty vs. Fat Joe's Don Cartagena vs. John Forte's Poly Sci vs. Noreaga's N.O.R.E..
December 8th, 1998 – DJ Quik's Rhythm-a-lism vs. Redman's Doc's Da Name 2000 vs. Timbaland's Tim's Bio.
December 15th, 1998 – Busta Rhymes' Extinction Level Event vs. DJ Clue's The Professional vs. Mystikal's Ghetto Fabulous.

January 5th, 1999 – Lootpack's Soundpieces: Da Antidote! vs. MF DOOM's Operation: Doomsday.
April 27th, 1999 – Mobb Deep's Murda Muzik vs. Naughty By Nature's Nineteen Naughty Nine.
August 24th, 1999 – Arsonists' As the World Burns vs. High & Mighty's Home Field Advantage vs. Noreaga's Melvin Flynt - Da Hustler.
October 12th, 1999 – Mos Def's Black on Both Sides vs. Warren G's I Want It All vs. Youngbloodz' Against Da Grain.

May 23rd, 2000 – Deltron 3030's Deltron 3030 vs. Dilated People's The Platform vs. Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP.

September 11th, 2001 – Fabolous' Ghetto Fabolous vs. Jay-Z's The Blueprint vs. Killarmy's Fear, Love & War.
Haven't double checked all those for accuracy but I will however still take requests so if anybody wants to see any of those actualized or has any other ideas for ones they'd like to suggest, feel free to message me or post a potential match up in any of the threads.

And if not, it's been fun. Thanks to everybody who posted and / or voted. Peace.

jredd109

Re: Dropped Same Day: Retrospective

Post by jredd109 »

just gotta say; fantastic job. really liked these threads. thanks for taking the time.

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

I loved these as well, thanks for putting them together TheBigSleep.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

jredd109 wrote:just gotta say; fantastic job. really liked these threads. thanks for taking the time.
YES!

vancitysfinest

Post by vancitysfinest »

Great thread TheBigSleep! I'm gonna have to sleep on this before I submit my vote. Although it's gonna be hard to not click 36 Chambers/MM.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Feel free to vote for as many as you want, including that one. And you can always vote and then return and change it later if you feel like it.

And thanks guys, if there are any other good match ups anybody sees or thinks of I wouldn't mind doing a few more one off threads from time to time. Hit me up whenever if you wanna see how any others would turn out.

citizen

Post by citizen »

jredd109 wrote:just gotta say; fantastic job. really liked these threads. thanks for taking the time.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah man, really appreciate all the work you put in on making these threads happen. Good job. :cheers:

The day MM and WuTang dropped though, too important, plus the personal memories it conjures of that exact day. Too powerful to not win my vote.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Thanks again everybody.

Yeah, I knew goin' into it that Tribe and Wu would be the clear winner in terms of landmark, influential albums. Don't be afraid to vote for (or point out) lesser favorites in addition to that one though.

And thanks for the feedback. Glad other people enjoyed this series as much as I did.

ecwclown

Post by ecwclown »

Quik is the Name vs. Step in the Arena is really a fantastic day as well. I expected a few more votes going that way.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

As did I. I expected a comment or two as well (it's one of, if not the only thread to not get any additional posts added to it).

I held off on putting up that match up for a long while because it was one where I pretty much knew what the results would be. But they are both fairly big records so I knew I wanted to get around to it eventually, just to see (and to showcase it as one of those game changing days).

So thanks, that's good to hear.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Yeah, I agree with the homies, these threads were very amusin'... I'm :sad: that there won't be more of these.

voted for Between a Rock and a Hard Place vs. The Dead Has Arisen vs. Like It Should Be vs. Nervous Breakdown vs. Play Witcha Mama vs. Resurrection vs. Ruthless By Law

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

For sure, that's the seven album one that got left in a tie between Artifacts and Common.

And yeah I'm already a little nostalgic if that's possible. This'll be the first time in nine months I won't be posting a thread Monday at nine PST / Tuesday at midnight EST (to coincide with Tuesday album releases).

However, I'm not deading this series completely, I'm just leaving it up to y'all. If anybody likes any the of the leftover examples I wrote above and wants to see how those play out, or has something else they'd wanna see, post up your request and I'll make it happen. So there'll be more if anybody wants more, just not on an automatic weekly basis.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

And some of the last stats I haven't shared...

Top Five Favorites (Thus Far):

Runaway Slave vs. Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop vs. Whut? Thee Album.

Breakdown of the Years:

'88 (1)
'89 (2)
'90 (0)
'91 (4)
'92 (3)
'93 (5)
'94 (6)
'95 (5)
'96 (4)
'97 (3)
'98 (4)
'99 (2)

Gurped Out

Post by Gurped Out »

My Favorites:

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Just to make it clear, those favorites I listed were the board favorites as per the poll results, not my personal favorites necessarily. I definitely encourage people listing their own though.

Gurped, yeah it's hard to compete with Tribe's third against Wu's first (that got the record with eighty votes and forty one posts, including a few from people who aren't usually T.R.O.Y. heads, which actually happened on and off throughout the series).

I liked that I found an all West Coast one that East Coasters could appreciate as well, it was good to sneak that in there.

And thanks for repping a couple of the less appreciated East vs. West match ups, ones that I knew would be largely one sided. A few were more “historical” than they were well matched, at least for these boards. That kind of feedback (and some of the poll results) helps to redeem those choices for me a bit. The Gang Starr and DJ Quik thread is getting more love in retrospect it seems like.

Some of the ones that I didn't get around to that I thought could have potential were:
Tim Dog's debut against 2Pac's debut. Just for the timing of Fuck Compton against early 2Pac, before the whole East vs. West thing really escalated.

(Everything from '92 that I found that was worthy got used, so nothing there.)

Almost did Everything is Everything against Keepers of the Funk but we had already had a few Brand Nubian polls and Lords of the Underground is a lesser name comparatively.

E-40's In a Major Way vs. Me Against the World is kind of different because 2Pac is featured on In a Major Way. Figured the majority of the forum doesn't care though.

The one from June of '95 was interesting because it has a few names attached and a lot of releases (would've tied the record, with seven).

Cypress Hill vs. Dogg Pound was another West Coast one I considered.

Thought about doing the Jeru follow up to see how it fared in comparison to the first but there wasn't too much competition.

Em's Infinite vs. Lil' Kim's Hardcore is just funny to me for some reason.

And the following week is unusual just because of Entroducing... vs. Hell On Earth, since no trip hop / turntablism album has even really had the chance of winning (or coming in second for that matter). Lotta other stuff attached to that day though.

Kinda liked Veteranz Day vs. Capital Punishment vs. Stupid Doo Doo Dumb for the same reason I liked Da Storm, Dubee and Ironman. It's just an intriguing mix, even if I can guess how the results would turn out.

And Dilated against Eminem is interesting only because they had issues with each other, but doesn't really work well as a match up.
Like I said, the DSD series will return if and when I hear somebody else point out a match they want to see. Regardless, this has been a new way for me to look at the timeline of hip hop albums and hopefully at least a few other people see key days a little differently now as well.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

TheBigSleep wrote:Some of the most liked ones could potentially be cherry picked to be featured on the T.R.O.Y. Blog and we can see how they fare with that crowd perhaps? Just throwin' out thoughts.
The prophecy has been fulfilled, thanks to Jason Gloss.

I'll post updates in here, such as this first one, which everyone will recognize:

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2013/03/04/d ... t-wu-tang/

Blog:

Tribe 37, Wu 63 (at 100 votes)

Forums:

Tribe 38, Wu 62 (at 80 votes)

Pretty much as close as you can get, we'll see if that continues goin' forward. You can't change your pick on the blog though, so if you vote there, make it count.

And it won't always be a complete repeat like this week's was. The next one to appear hasn't been done on the forums.

There will also be corrections in future installments, such as the Ahmad and Guerrillas in the Mist albums actually being included in their respective match ups instead of accidentally omitted like they were here.

So stay tuned.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2013/03/12/d ... f-spice-1/

Blog:

KRS 46, Souls 45, Spice 9 (at 112 votes)

Forums:

KRS 43, Souls 42, Spice 15 (at 77 votes)

Once again, fairly close, even down to the fact that Souls had the early lead and KRS had the slow comeback.

The new one that hadn't been on the forums that I thought would be up last week showed up this week, so be sure to vote for that as well.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2013/03/18/d ... -dog-2pac/

Blog:

Tim Dog 43, 2Pac 57 (at 81 votes)

Forums:

N / A

First one that hasn't appeared on the forums. Wonder if Tim Dog would be winning if we had this match up here.

Also the Diamond D / Redman / Showbiz & A.G. one has been posted and this time I included Da Lench Mob. So far the results don't look like what we had here, though that can obviously change.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2013/03/25/d ... owbiz-a-g/

Blog:

Lench 5, Diamond 37, Red 33, Show & A 25 (at 103 votes)

Forums:

Lench N / A, Diamond 38, Red 31, Show & A 31 (at 80 votes)

Red was in the lead for a while on the blog, but things ended up looking more or less like the boards. So far there hasn't been much difference between T.R.O.Y. forum consensus and what the rest of the hip hop internet thinks.

And this is the first of two accidental omissions from the initial polls that got corrected, so if you would've voted for Guerillas in tha Mist, now's your chance to do that.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2013/04/01/d ... ce-twista/

Blog:

Digable 27, O.C. 52, Scarface 17, Twista 4 (at 83 votes)

Forums:

Digable 9, O.C. 59, Scarface 29, Twista 3 (at 58 votes)

Interesting that here Scarface is in second which is where Digable Planets are on the blog. O.C. and Twista are about the same regardless though.

I guess either The Diary is more well regarded here than it is elsewhere or Blowout Comb is more revered, enough for them to flip places at least.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2013/04/08/d ... y-bastard/

Blog:

Big L 52, Dana Dane 2, ODB 46 (at 111 votes)

Forums:

Big L 43, Dana Dane 0, ODB 57 (at 74 votes)

Well it was back and forth close just like on the forums but this marks the only time so far where the first and second place results are flipped (at least at the end of one week).

And this time Dana Dane actually got a couple votes.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2013/04/16/d ... vy-d-jeru/

Blog:

Ahmad 3, Beastie 15, 8Ball 4, Heavy 4, Jeru 74 (at 98 votes)

Forums:

Ahmad N / A, Beastie 10, 8Ball 6, Heavy 0, Jeru 84 (at 52 votes)

So the blow out that existed on the forums also exists on the blog not surprisingly, though it is a little bit less of a landslide.

And as predicted the inclusion of Ahmad (and Da Lench Mob before this) did little to change the results but for the sake of fairness and accuracy it was good to be able to include everything this time around.

Also apparently EPMD's second album dropped April 1st, 1989, not July 25th, so obviously the poll against Paul's Boutique won't be making it to the blog. However I have thought of and / or discovered a few others. Feel free to weigh in on which you think would make a good match up:

September 20th, 1988 – MC Lyte's Lyte As a Rock vs. Run-D.M.C.'s Tougher Than Leather.
April 17th, 1990 – A Tribe Called Quest's People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm vs. X-Clan's To the East, Blackwards.
July 17th, 1990 – Boogie Down Productions' Edutainment vs. Special Ed's Legal.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2013/04/22/d ... ty-thievz/

Blog:

Black Moon 8, Em 22, Prince Paul 23, Rob Swift 4, Roots 41, Sporty Thievz 2 (at 130 votes)

Forums:

Black Moon 19, Em 12, Prince Paul 39, Rob Swift 2, Roots 24, Sporty Thievz 4 (at 74 votes)

Other than the Big L / ODB one in which L is winning at the moment on the blog but in second on the boards (though it's basically almost tied still), this is the first truly clear cut difference with The Roots taking the lead on the site and Prince Paul winning it for the forums.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2013/04/29/d ... -mischief/

Blog:

AZ 35, Jamal 6, Kausion 2, KRS 46, Menace Clan 3, Souls of Mischief 8 (at 145 votes)

Forums:

AZ 23, Jamal 9, Kausion 4, KRS 56, Menace Clan 6, Souls of Mischief 2 (at 53 votes)

So KRS got ten percent less and AZ got ten percent more on the blog , making them within ten percent (whereas before KRS had over twice as many votes). And Kausion and Menace Clan both got half the percentage but Souls got four times as much.

And I know nobody here cares any longer besides me but there's a T.R.O.Y. Blog exclusive DSD up for this week, so check that out if you want somethin' new and different for a change.