Questions for DJ Premier

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

gimantalon

Questions for DJ Premier

Post by gimantalon »

Hello everybody, like most of you know i'm the guy of DJ Premier Blog... and thanks to that i have direct contact with DJ Premier himself.

In the past I did a lot of articles/research about DJ Premier and stories behind his more unknown tracks (J-Rock, Boss dj premier remix, ...)

but recently i was thinking about this jam "peer pressure" by mobb deep, it was produced by large pro & dj premier. i never knew the details about that song so i'm going to ask him asap.

but do you guys have any more "obscure" questions for him that normal journalists won't ask?

ps, not going to ask about jeru's beef :lol:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Questions for DJ Premier

Post by Philaflava »

ask him to delve into the real reasons behind not working on that nas album? i know you're in a tight spot and can't be as blunt as you'd like, but if i hear that "busy schedule" answer one more time i'm going to flip. there is def more to it than that.

ask if him solar has reached out since the passing of guru.

step one

Post by step one »

for fucks sake dont ask him about Nas, Jay Z or Biggie! That shit has been done to death :lol:
I'm hoping he's doing something on the new AZ album as The Come Up and The Format are both dope.

You could get him to speak on some of the lesser know/heavily bootlegged Gang Starr cuts like 'Doe In Advance' or 'Brooklyn' . Is there any more unreleased Gang Starr stuff he's sitting on?

Years ago he mentioned (more than once) he'd done a deal with Fat Joe and was gonna drop an album on Terror Squad records. Was anything recorded for it and why didnt it come out?

Given how many different artists he has produced for over the years maybe focus on the ones he's yet to work with - maybe he'll mention some unreleased material or something.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

step one wrote:for fucks sake dont ask him about Nas, Jay Z or Biggie! That shit has been done to death :lol:
I'm hoping he's doing something on the new AZ album as The Come Up and The Format are both dope.

You could get him to speak on some of the lesser know/heavily bootlegged Gang Starr cuts like 'Doe In Advance' or 'Brooklyn' . Is there any more unreleased Gang Starr stuff he's sitting on?

Years ago he mentioned (more than once) he'd done a deal with Fat Joe and was gonna drop an album on Terror Squad records. Was anything recorded for it and why didnt it come out?

Given how many different artists he has produced for over the years maybe focus on the ones he's yet to work with - maybe he'll mention some unreleased material or something.
Doe In Advance question is noted.

There is no any unreleased gang starr shit. i remember fat joe saying 2 years ago dj premier owns him a lot of money from that deal, but he wasn't upset about it because 'premo can do that' or something. it was never recorded.

solar didn't reach out to premo because he knows it won't make any sense, if premo only hear the name 'solar' he flips already. he calls him 'the other guy' and as far for premo he doesn't exists. that part of guru's history is erased from his memory.

the nas thing is completely up to nas... when nas sees premo he tells him they going to record soon, but nas never keeps in touch. but he's such a legend so there isn't any reaction on it by preems side. i almost sure that is the reason...

this is also a problem:

http://www.djpremierblog.com/2012/04/18 ... ing-album/

but preem won't change, he's happy how he lives now... he doesn't need any ferrari or 5 star hotel :p

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

joe pretty much has preem on a retainer. thats why he get a sick beat whenever he wants.

Verge

Post by Verge »

step one wrote:
this. even demo versions or whatever.

l remember having a handful of really ill demos by unknown emcees from some i think Future Flavaz shows.

Primo must have unknown and lesser known archives deeper than Nick Wiz's, I'd love to see them get released in the same fashion.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Ask him if he can give us definite release dates on NYGZ and Teflon. :lol:

Dude has his label for years now and all he puts out is old horseshit featuring Freddie Foxxx.

And tell him we don't want no MC Eiht bullshit - the West is dead - WE WANT NYGZ AND TEFLON. NEW NEW YORK SOUNDING MUSIC...

Verge

Post by Verge »

yeah im still down to support an NYGz preem LP, but its been goddamn ridiculous how long its taking. l was really looking for it like 8 yrs ago.

banister kronos

Post by banister kronos »

Yo' Stief,i think that Eiht is one of the best rapper of all time.
Sit back,relax and listen to 'WE COME STRAPPED',good night.
PS.if Prem wants to do an album with him this means something,don't you think!
Of course much respect for NYGZ.PZ.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Stieflkater wrote:And tell him we don't want no MC Eiht bullshit - the West is dead - WE WANT NYGZ AND TEFLON. NEW NEW YORK SOUNDING MUSIC...
FUCK YOU... cuz of ignorant mothafuckas like you is why rap music sound the way it sound like now.
Now fuck off and listen to some "good" east coast music like Kwame and shit.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot somethin'... WEST UP!

step one

Post by step one »

Eiht's new EP is pretty good. Dude might not be reinventing the wheel but he rarely drops anything wack.
Last edited by step one on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BLAKETHOUGHT

Post by BLAKETHOUGHT »

Ask him about the "Time 2 Chill" instrumental project released on noo trybe records. What was his involvement, how did it come about, etc, etc. For those who are unfamiliar with this release it's an eclectic mix of downtempo tracks unlike anything he's ever put his hands on. Definitely worth a listen if u can get your hands on it, but I can't promise it's for everyone.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

BLAKETHOUGHT wrote:Ask him about the "Time 2 Chill" instrumental project released on noo trybe records. What was his involvement, how did it come about, etc, etc. For those who are unfamiliar with this release it's an eclectic mix of downtempo tracks unlike anything he's ever put his hands on. Definitely worth a listen if u can get your hands on it, but I can't promise it's for everyone.
That's a good question - I picked up the record when it came out (2001?) and always wondered. Pretty sure the release is a bootleg and I'm not even sure if Premier had anything to do with producing the songs. I don't mind it anyway.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

FUCK YOU... cuz of ignorant mothafuckas like you is why rap music sound the way it sound like now.

Last good Westcoast album was what? C-Bo's Moment Of Truth aka Til My Casket Drops...Crooked I killed Streets Iz A Mutha but never delivered a quality LP. West sounds like South - East too and it's my fault? AH GYEAH at least they got Kendrick, SAS and Big Hutch....Ras Kass been releasing trash for years - Snoop died after his debut...

step one

Post by step one »

Stieflkater wrote:

Last good Westcoast album was what? C-Bo's Moment Of Truth aka Til My Casket Drops...Crooked I killed Streets Iz A Mutha but never delivered a quality LP. West sounds like South - East too and it's my fault? AH GYEAH at least they got Kendrick, SAS and Big Hutch....Ras Kass been releasing trash for years - Snoop died after his debut...
So because you dont like West Coast rap, Primo shouldnt work with MC Eiht, who he's been down with for about 20 years and is by some distance much better than most of the rappers he gives beats to these days

:arrow:

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

Debonair_P wrote:
BLAKETHOUGHT wrote:Ask him about the "Time 2 Chill" instrumental project released on noo trybe records. What was his involvement, how did it come about, etc, etc. For those who are unfamiliar with this release it's an eclectic mix of downtempo tracks unlike anything he's ever put his hands on. Definitely worth a listen if u can get your hands on it, but I can't promise it's for everyone.
That's a good question - I picked up the record when it came out (2001?) and always wondered. Pretty sure the release is a bootleg and I'm not even sure if Premier had anything to do with producing the songs. I don't mind it anyway.
Yes, DJ Premier has nothing to do with it. I wonder where those instrumentals come from, but it's hard to find a bootlegger :fail:

For NYGz, it's crazy! Panchi is joking all the time about it, but i'm feeling it's getting more and more on his nerves though (finally)... Why do you think Nick Javas leaved the label?

Yesterday... I was promoting some 'illigal' Gang Starr shirt because everybody asking for a such a shirt... DJ Premier is telling us for three years now the shirts are coming... now he called me to tell that shirt are illigal and he will sell the official shirt in a shop coming in April. April 2025 probably... and that's something that will never change from DJ Premier... and it's hard for me, because it's a fanblog... i am a fan, and i do it for fans... and i want to work with my idol, but it's not easy with such promises :pause:

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Til My Casket Drops and Big Hutch ftw

NYGz album question plz, them and Eiht are the only decent dudes left on that label since Freddie Foxx and Blaq Poet fell off. If that godawful white gets to release an album before Sha and Panchi, Primo is excommunicated.

step one

Post by step one »

Rappers Primo should work with : AZ, Scarface, Eiht, Jadakiss, Game ('Born In The Trap' >>>), Fat Joe, Common, Black Thought
Rappers Primo needs to delete from his Facebook: Nas, Jay, Termanology, Joey Badass, Poet & Freddie Foxx

Legendary

Post by Legendary »

what about the album he's doing wit pete rock?

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

Legendary wrote:what about the album he's doing wit pete rock?
same problem as the albums with krs one, nygz, ...

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I'd like to know if he has any plans to release more instrumental album versions spanning the Gangstarr foundation catalog in addition to those already out there. I was just listening to Guru's words at the end of his song Loungin' where he mentions that Gangstarr presses up instrumental versions of their albums to use at shows.

I've got a test pressing of the instrumentals for Step In The Arena so far and I've seen a pressing for Jeru's 1st album. I was happy to pick up a copy of Livin' Proof instrumental version at Fat Beats. The inst. pressing of Daily Operation I heard was all bootleg loops so I hope an official inst version comes out.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

ask him about the trend of beats without drums

thablend

Post by thablend »

bignormy wrote:ask him about the trend of beats without drums
:lol:

I would like to know more about the studio equipment and the way its used for mixing and processing of hiphop beats esp. from the 90s (D&D, Chun King etc) - any stories and/or wisdom on this would be ill.
Its one of those topics that dosnt get a lot of mentions but its definetly a fascinating subject for many producers and beatmakers. Carlos bess did a well interesting interview on this kinda stuff,(chek link below)

http://www.emusician.com/news/0766/retu ... ers/134817

There was a productive thread on this back on the DWG forums a few years ago and Thirsty Dragon mentions a device called a "kompensator" he read about it in an article on Chun-King studios. Some obscure german made compressor of some kind .. That kind of stuff ...

http://forum.diggerswithgratitude.com/a ... -4085.html

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

fatboybrandon wrote:I'd like to know if he has any plans to release more instrumental album versions spanning the Gangstarr foundation catalog in addition to those already out there. I was just listening to Guru's words at the end of his song Loungin' where he mentions that Gangstarr presses up instrumental versions of their albums to use at shows.

I've got a test pressing of the instrumentals for Step In The Arena so far and I've seen a pressing for Jeru's 1st album. I was happy to pick up a copy of Livin' Proof instrumental version at Fat Beats. The inst. pressing of Daily Operation I heard was all bootleg loops so I hope an official inst version comes out.
he's planning to release instrumental albums just like he's planning to work with krs-one, mop, pete rock for fulls albums. no point of asking because i'll get another fake promise...

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

Why the hate on the Freddie foxxx album anyway ? That shit was exactly what I hoped it would be. Sure some of it was and/or sounded old, but what more could you ask for? One of my favorite releases last year.

step one

Post by step one »

I dunno man, I feel like a whole album of him gets a bit samey after a while. Prefer it when he just drops a killer verse/track. Same with Poet.

BrandanEvans

Post by BrandanEvans »

the question i would love to ask is why he never collab'd eminem yet on track? they should have done somethin years ago during the slim shady era.
"Rap is something u do, Hip-Hop is something u live"

thebohdan252

Post by thebohdan252 »

gimantalon wrote:
fatboybrandon wrote:I'd like to know if he has any plans to release more instrumental album versions spanning the Gangstarr foundation catalog in addition to those already out there. I was just listening to Guru's words at the end of his song Loungin' where he mentions that Gangstarr presses up instrumental versions of their albums to use at shows.

he's planning to release instrumental albums just like he's planning to work with krs-one, mop, pete rock for fulls albums. no point of asking because i'll get another fake promise...
You seem to know all the answers already, why are you interviewing him?

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

thebohdan252 wrote:
gimantalon wrote:

You seem to know all the answers already, why are you interviewing him?
first post

"but do you guys have any more "obscure" questions for him that normal journalists won't ask?"

i know most of the answers because they were already asked :copy:

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

@Step one

i forgot, i already know the question to Doe In Advance / Brooklyn. Doe In Advance is fully released on Hard To Earn Promo Tape, but you can find a version of the track on the Japanese version of Hard To Earn that doesn't contains the main sample. the reason it's only released on the promo tape (so not for sale) is because sample clearance issues... the Brooklyn track is just demo's of Guru during the mid 90s, has nothing to do with Premo.