Tracks or Albums That Don't Sound Quite Like Anything Else

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

godmc

Re: Tracks or Albums That Don't Sound Quite Like Anything El

Post by godmc »

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Mood! Good call.

A comp would be great. However maybe we should reserve the more unusual stuff for it? Some of the things I've posted are just sounds that interest me, only subtly different from other stuff. Or maybe we could have two comps, one for the weird avant garde stuff and the other for slightly divergent sounds that never really caught on? I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it.
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Scienz of Life dropped some really unique stuff. Their 2000 album is totally bizarre, but if we're going for more golden age stuff their earlier material was pretty interesting too.

In 97 they dropped these:

I've yet to hear anything else that sounds like "Metaphysic":

This is probably my favorite track by them, a little less experimental than Metaphysic:

From 96, more conventional:

Found Metaphysic in 320:

http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/21180683/file.html

godmc

Post by godmc »

not gonna be super popular with everyone, but doseone's hemispheres was off the chain.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Alright, I've created a folder called "Golden Age Avant-Garde", I'm going to put HQ rips of the more experimental stuff posted here in it. Maybe something will come of it, maybe not.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

I wouldn't characterize this as experimental but it's got a great sound, my favorite track from Homeliss Derilex.

A little more unusual:

Fuckin gorgeous:

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Can't forget about the Siah and Yeshua Da Poed album. That whole album is highly experimental, hard to narrow it down to a track or two.

These stand out to me in terms of having a unique sound.

"Directions" is actually my favorite track on this album, but it's not as out there as some of the other tracks.

I think if I were to do a compilation I'd put the first one on there, Pyrite. Thoughts?

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

night_shade wrote:Alright, I've created a folder called "Golden Age Avant-Garde", I'm going to put HQ rips of the more experimental stuff posted here in it. Maybe something will come of it, maybe not.
sounds good to me. lot of nice stuff in here I've never heard of

Five Deez deserve a mention, some of fat jon's early production is kinda head-twisting

Ominous

Post by Ominous »

Also the first Del album. Lyrically he was another level, too bad the beats didn't do it much justice and he abandoned that style for the most part when he finally did get better production for more battle oriented rhymes.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Was listening to the 1st and 2nd Bobby Digital albums recently and felt like it's a worthy choice. RZA took his blunted Soul sound further and came with a "digital orchestra", flipping a style which combines samples and synths that was ahead of it's time and still hasn't been replicated to this day.

I still like the whole album but standout songs to me were B.O.B.B.Y. and N.Y.C. Everything. I remember being amazed at the level of detail in which these beats and others were programmed and arranged. It was interesting to hear those in contrast to the more simple Soul loops he had on songs like My Lovin Is Digi and Love Jones.

Digital Bulltet was a dodgy album to me but it still had those moments that blew me way with what RZA did using his digital orchestra sound. I love songs like Do You, Glocko Pop, Sickness and Break Bread.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

Guru - Jazzmatazz vol.2 - Insert B
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
night_shade wrote:Some styles/sounds I'd like to see developed further:

Deep In Da Circle - Stardom (Remix)

that track is very nice. have never heard of this crew but iknow the sample. anyone knows who else sampled this? i know i have heard it before. im thinking Gurus voice but i can't pin it down

cosign divine styler as something really completely different

this beat always stood out to me as something unique. extremely strange samples or maybe its all synths not sure

and his other track aswell actually

of course this whole album. i don't like every track but this song is beyond ill and so fucking strange

of course it is a canonical rap song but stilkl applies to this thread. as a duo they tried to replicate this song a few times never really got there.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:

that track is very nice. have never heard of this crew but iknow the sample. anyone knows who else sampled this? i know i have heard it before. im thinking Gurus voice but i can't pin it down
thats a few seconds after the Mobb Deep - Up North Trip intro sample from a Norman Connors song.I don't know if it was also something Guru used but it definitely reminds me of that Life song with MOP off the Guru Presents Ill Kid compilation.

Deep In Da Circle was a pretty obscure group that only had that single and one other. I remember picking up that one in a House/dance music record store that was located about halfway between the old fatbeats and the 9th street Path train station. I think it was called 8Ball Records, they always had a couple of dope unknown indie gems in their one crate of rap records. They've been gone for a long time now though, over 10 years at least.
I'm almost positive Deep In Da Circle will eventually surface on one of the limited labels with some unreleased joints, hopefully worth hearing.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Vooodu is worth a mention. I've never thought he was much of an emcee but his production is dope and distinctive.

This is easily my favorite beat off Dark Regions:

And I've always thought this track had a unique sound to it:

But it's his work for Ras Kass that stands out to me. There's nothing else in Hip Hop like The Evil That Men Do, period.

I just saw that Vooodu did Remain Anonymous too, which I think is a pretty unique song as well. Ras never really did anything else like it.

Oh, and obviously there's only one Nature of the Threat.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Verge wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:

thats a few seconds after the Mobb Deep - Up North Trip intro sample from a Norman Connors song.I don't know if it was also something Guru used but it definitely reminds me of that Life song with MOP off the Guru Presents Ill Kid compilation.

Deep In Da Circle was a pretty obscure group that only had that single and one other. I remember picking up that one in a House/dance music record store that was located about halfway between the old fatbeats and the 9th street Path train station. I think it was called 8Ball Records, they always had a couple of dope unknown indie gems in their one crate of rap records. They've been gone for a long time now though, over 10 years at least.
I'm almost positive Deep In Da Circle will eventually surface on one of the limited labels with some unreleased joints, hopefully worth hearing.
Goodfelons were talking about doing a Deep in da Circle release (before they folded of course.) Hopefully someone else picks it up. I found that record for $5 locally a couple years back, their other record seems a lot harder to come by.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Verge wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:

thanks for the extra info verge. but look up a few posts and youl see that it was indeed sampled on Jazzmatazz 2

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Ominous wrote:

Also the first Del album. Lyrically he was another level, too bad the beats didn't do it much justice and he abandoned that style for the most part when he finally did get better production for more battle oriented rhymes.

wow. imo the beats the beats on my brother shit on no need for alarm. my brother is by far his best album i think.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Great thread. This track by Chill always stood out to me as pretty unique. The cheap keyboard and synths are peculiar.

Also this Duodie track

and this, or most buck 65 tracks probably

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

DJCommunist wrote:

This! I totally forgot about this song. Beautiful track, and yes, very unusual.

The production on Chill is crazy, haven't heard that one before. Great selections.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

This is one of the darkest tracks I've ever heard:

This is a long time favorite, the horns on the chorus are crazy! I don't know anything else that sounds like this really, especially from 94.

Sparrow's style and this bizarre beat make this a stand out track to me:

And the Cenobites stuff, released and unreleased. Between Kool Keith and Godfather Don's beats its in its own class.

My favorite Cenobites joint:

One of their weirder ones:

From the Demented Thoughts EP, any guesses as to when it was recorded?

And shit, Godfather Don's got loads of unique gems himself.

And loads of others. Speaking of the Don, this track he did for Scaramanga is pretty unique. Always been my favorite Scaramanga track.

And any Lewis Parker really, his beats and emceeing are both super unique. Did he produce his own stuff?

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Some more unique tracks:

Not a fan of the emcee but I like this beat quite a bit:

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Always dug this track, not much else like it:

Saw this on youtube:

Architek

Post by Architek »

night shade,
yes, Lewis Parker produced his own stuff. One of UK's finest, no doubt. Another UK joint i always considered one of a kind is Task Force's "Crime Waves". Here's what you can do with a drum loop, a bassline & the sound of wind:

and wishes for a quick recovery bro.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

^Nice selections, the Screwball joint in particular.
wishes for a quick recovery bro.
Much appreciated.

This Extra Prolific joint from Master Piece (1998) stands out to me as being somewhat ahead of its time.

And The Arsonists definitely had their own simultaneously flamboyant and dark sound. Some of their emceeing was pretty odd too.

Nothing out there quite like this:

I've always liked this joint:

Come to think of it The Speednots sound a bit like the Arsonists. Anyone know anything about these dudes?

Oh, and Shabaam Sahdeeq's "Arabian Nights" is on its own level, one Nick Wiz's more interesting beats.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Unusual production.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

A few that popped into my head tonight,

Gangstarr - "Stay Tuned", the odd time signature and murky sound always stood out to me

Timbaland - "To My" feat. Nas & Madskillz www.youtube.com/watch?v=nribTTzWTKg

Songs from Gravediggaz's debut where Prince Paul set off a dark and morbid sound (2 Cups Of Blood, Diary of A Madman, 6 Feet Deep)

Godfather Don's morbid sound: "Lex Lugor", "Seeds Of Hate",

The West Coast synth G-Funk sound of MC Eiht's "We Come Strapped" album
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

^Definitely an unusual sound. The rapper reminds me a little of Kool Keith. Anyone have this 12"?

Mood's already been posted, but I can't emphasize enough how wonderful and distinctive some of their stuff was.

I'll come up with some others.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

D.J. Honda ft. De La Soul - Trouble In The Water
K-Otix - Spontaneity EP
L. - Relax Your Mind
Gravediggaz The Night The Earth Cried and Unexplained
Mind Space Life Is Foul
mos def umi says
Street Poets - Everybody Life