Rhyme – Demo Tape [Chicago, IL] (1995)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

night_shade

Re: Rhyme – Demo Tape [Chicago, IL] (1995)

Post by night_shade »

Damn, "Beware" is dope! Props.
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

Someone left comment on the blog post, "Rhyme Fest", could it really be Rhymefest?
Never thought about that, completely forgot about Rhymefest and how his voice sounds like, never listened to his albums other than few tracks.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Sure it could be Rhymefest, probably is. From Chicago, mid 90s, first name Rhyme, tight flow/style, just sounds a little different in the voice but it should cause he'd be younger.
Dope shit!

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Verge wrote:Sure it could be Rhymefest. From Chicago, mid 90s, first name Rhyme, tight flow/style, just sounds a little different in the voice but it should cause he'd be younger.
Yeah it could be cuz all that makes sense. Where's the semi-lisp though? *shrugs*

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

The Blogpost was me...if you check the "How We Chill" voice is kinda similar...like Verge said

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Kev used to play Warrior Ink on the Time Travel show from time to time. I know he uploaded that track on this board right around 2008/2009.

94-96 era Rhymefest is a much higher caliber MC.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

Post by HipHopInfinityRIPLOL »

i believe this was just one of the many, many treats kevin beacham uploaded in the demos thread. there was just the three tracks and picture of cassette.

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

I just found it, was searching that thread page by page. General search option gave me nothing when i typed ink, warrior ink etc.
Kevin Beacham wrote:Rhyme-Warriors Ink Demo '95 (Chicago)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ebrkl2

I posted up one of these tracks on my time travel page last week and figured I'd share the whole demo here. This is one I had been wanting to hear again for a long time but several years ago the tape snagged and got all mangled. Last week I took it apart and spent a good hour or more re-spooling (is that the "un-word" i'm looking for?) and trying to flatten out the creases and wrinkles as best possible. It was so bad I eventually had to cut the tape and carefully splice it back to gather with a thin amount of tape so only a "milisecond" of sound was lost...ha. Ah the great lengths we go to in order to persevere a rarity....ha

here's the blog that I wrote about him:

Rhyme-Warriorג€™s Ink: I first heard Rhyme at some sort of industry panel discussion in Chicago. Some local talent agency or something had flew in some various industry insiders to drop knowledge and give local artists feedback. The only person I remember on the panel was Daddy O (Stetsasonic). At the end of the discussion they played a demo from a few different local artists in the crowd and critiqued it (sort of a pre-cursor to American Idol I suppose...). They were all unknown groups far as I remember. I remember this one girl group who sounded real bubble gum and not so good and the panelists were trying to sugar coat their responses and Daddy O had to interrupt and just be like, ג€œIג€m sorry; I have to be real. You guys suck. You should find another career instead of rapג€....or something really close to that...ha. In my mind I was like, ג€˜Damn, donג€™t keep it too real. You putting fools in tears hereג€...ha. I mean I guess people really need that because if they really feel they got the talent theyג€™ll keep with it regardless I suppose. Anyway, Rhyme was the only tape played that day that was a stand out in a good way. I remember his voice was reminiscent of King T and that caught my attention. However, he was on his own thing with his style and approach. He was representing from the West side which I always viewed as a combination of the North Side (more East Coast Hip Hop feel) and the South Side (more West Coast Vibe). It was that Hard edged Hip Hop with a street feel but kept it real lyrical also. I connected with him after the panel to get his demo and I gave him a good amount of radio spins and tried to spread the word.. I donג€™t know what happened to him. I only talked to him maybe one or two times after that day. The demo had two other tracks, ג€œBewareג€ and ג€œDonג€™t Play Wit Emג€, but ג€œWarriorג€™s Inkג€ always stood out cause it has the ג€œanthemג€ feel to it. However, the other joints, particularly "Beware" are certainly worthy of a listen.

humbruh

Post by humbruh »

Rhyme and Rhymefest are 2 different rappers. Just peep this track from 94 and compare them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYUMw17-l0

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah definite difference. Roy Johnson and Kev Beacham are the Chi rap authorities, should have kept my beak shut! Lol

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

On the other hand maybe there is worthy Rhymefest Demos from 1992 to 1997?

http://www.discogs.com/Rhyme-Fest-How-W ... ase/889835 this is good

200x album before the offical one is trash.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah gotta be some worthy rhymefest demos, dudes nice as hell. How We Chill Part 2 was first time i actually heard him even though i heard OF him before that. He has such a strong rep but never officially dropped anything too good, imo.