Quasimoto, Madlib and Stones Throw

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

unheard78

Quasimoto, Madlib and Stones Throw

Post by unheard78 »

I've been listening to Quas again lately and it always brings up a lot of questions. I tried posting on the Stones Throw forum but I can't figure out how to login there, and before you say it, yeah, I use the login button, but it won't let me post, though folks are clearly doing so. That said, I figured I'd throw a few things out I had questions about.

1) I know about some of the weird bootleg Madlib stuff that's been circulating forever, like the "Jaylib Outtakes" which are more like the tracks Madlib made over unused Dilla beats, as well as the "Lord Quas Reloaded" boot that has most of the unreleased Quas stuff that ended up on Yessir Whatever. That said, was there ever a bootleg of the original Quas tape or whatever that Peanut Butter Wolf and everyone talked about loving so much that they convinced Madlib to release a Quasimoto album? And if anyone needs either of those boots, I'm happy to upload them.

2) Anyone know where some of the more obscure Quasimoto tracks originally leaked from? Stuff like Greed with Grand The Vis, the original version of Talkin' Shit with the long intro, etc.?

3) Anyone have an original promo of The Further Adventures Of Lord Quas with Seasons Change? I have an old scene rip of it and it has some extra bits, pieces and differences from the released version. I can post the scene rip too if anyone would like me to, but I'm hoping someone might have an original CD they could do a perfect rip from.

4) I can't seem to get any straight answers about this, but is there bad blood or whatever between Madlib and Stones Throw? People on the ST message board make it sound like a break-up or a divorce, though I can't find any information on anything like this elsewhere. Is this just some obsessed folks going off the deep end?

Only other thing I wanted to mention is I did some cleaned-up versions of the original Jaylib and Madvillain leaks without the two-second pauses and stuff. If anyone wants those I'd be happy to share them as well. Just let me know. Thanks.

UPDATE: I got all five of those sets together and will upload them tomorrow. Just to reiterate, those are the Jaylib demos (Madlib rapping over unused Dilla beats), the Jaylib Rough Drafts (Madlib's early version of the Jaylib album with all Dilla beats and only him and Quas rapping), the Madvillainy Preview (early and rough mixes), the Lord Quas Reloaded bootleg (b-sides and crap with a few unreleased tracks), and the advance of Further Adventures with Seasons Change and some other small differences.

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

Re: Quasimoto, Madlib and Stones Throw

Post by HipHopInfinityRIPLOL »

1) There is an extremely limited run vinyl that was pressed with madlib rapping over dilla beats if i remember the story correctly. It might have been mentioned on crate diggers. That is what prompted to make jaylib an official thing instead of just a madlib bootleg.

step one

Post by step one »

Stones Throw tend to shut down any illegal uploads of their material pretty quickly
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

step one wrote:Stones Throw tend to shut down any illegal uploads of their material pretty quickly
Good point. Then if anyone would like a link, PM me.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL wrote:1) There is an extremely limited run vinyl that was pressed with madlib rapping over dilla beats if i remember the story correctly. It might have been mentioned on crate diggers. That is what prompted to make jaylib an official thing instead of just a madlib bootleg.
Kinda sorta. Madlib's version of The Message came out on a 7" with LAX To JFK on the flip. I don't know if it's an "official bootleg" or not, but both of those tracks also appeared on a Stones Throw white label with some other rather obscure cuts.

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

Post by HipHopInfinityRIPLOL »

that's definitely not what i remember seeing, it was not a 7". The guy pulled out the record, it might have been a white label. I say bootleg in the sense that jaydee did not give madlib permission to use his beats on a record which is what prompted them to make something official. I'm not even sure they had met at that point. I'll try to find the video clip again. I"m guessing it was one of the insiders like J-Rocc, PBW, or someone like that that pulled it out and talked about it.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL wrote:that's definitely not what i remember seeing, it was not a 7". The guy pulled out the record, it might have been a white label. I say bootleg in the sense that jaydee did not give madlib permission to use his beats on a record which is what prompted them to make something official. I'm not even sure they had met at that point. I'll try to find the video clip again. I"m guessing it was one of the insiders like J-Rocc, PBW, or someone like that that pulled it out and talked about it.
All of that sounds right. As for that record, I'm thinking of that Stones Throw White Label from 2002. This one:

http://www.stonesthrow.com/store/ep/var ... ummer-2002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They made 300 of them and sold copies which is what probably got Dilla's attention. As for that 7" I was talking about:

http://www.discogs.com/Jaylib-Madlib-Th ... ase/815334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know about the legitimacy of that release or whether it was even a semi-official bootleg.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Wow, never knew about the Jaylib Out Takes...seems like it would be incredible

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

DJCommunist wrote:Wow, never knew about the Jaylib Out Takes...seems like it would be incredible
It's a really funny and weird collection. It's got early drafts of a number of Madlib and Quasimoto tracks, and there are a lot of vocals from both throughout it. The most notable tracks are a completely different version of Shadows Of Tomorrow, Astronaut over a Dilla beat, the version of Tomorrow Never Knows that appears on the Jaylib Rough Drafts boot and supposedly dates from 2000, and The Message. There is also the Baby D Beat Girl Skit (same as on the Jaylib Rough Drafts) and Military Minded with Planet Asia.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

unheard78 wrote:was there ever a bootleg of the original Quas tape or whatever that Peanut Butter Wolf and everyone talked about loving so much that they convinced Madlib to release a Quasimoto album?
I guarantee this will never see the light of day...but we can dream, right?

sen

Post by sen »

unheard78 wrote:
step one wrote:Stones Throw tend to shut down any illegal uploads of their material pretty quickly
Good point. Then if anyone would like a link, PM me.
I'm definitely interested. I sent a PM. Thanks.

uniqueterror

ST Summer 2002

Post by uniqueterror »

I have this white label. If anyone wants a rip of it, PM me.

Does anyone have the "Dilla over Madlib" leak of Champion Sound? I used to have a terrible rip of it. I'm primarily looking for the original version of "The Ruckus" with the "Flight of the Bumblebee" sample.

Thanks.

uniqueterror

2001 Jaylib mixtape

Post by uniqueterror »

unheard78 wrote:
It's a really funny and weird collection. It's got early drafts of a number of Madlib and Quasimoto tracks, and there are a lot of vocals from both throughout it. The most notable tracks are a completely different version of Shadows Of Tomorrow, Astronaut over a Dilla beat, the version of Tomorrow Never Knows that appears on the Jaylib Rough Drafts boot and supposedly dates from 2000, and The Message. There is also the Baby D Beat Girl Skit (same as on the Jaylib Rough Drafts) and Military Minded with Planet Asia.
That mixtape is what Madlib sent Dilla that prompted them to do Champion Sound.

start at 4:25

Except for the second-to-last instrumental, all of the beats came from two 2000 Dilla beat tapes.

Edited from the intro: https://soundcloud.com/user9638922/check-it-out-yall
https://soundcloud.com/user9638922/baby-d

unheard78

Re: ST Summer 2002

Post by unheard78 »

uniqueterror wrote:I have this white label. If anyone wants a rip of it, PM me.

Does anyone have the "Dilla over Madlib" leak of Champion Sound? I used to have a terrible rip of it. I'm primarily looking for the original version of "The Ruckus" with the "Flight of the Bumblebee" sample.

Thanks.
I've got that version of The Ruckus but I don't remember a Dilla over Madlib leak of Champion Sound, only the Madlib over Dilla version. I'll throw The Ruckus online for you though.

http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/66305235/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get this quick because I bet it doesn't stay live for long.

unheard78

Re: 2001 Jaylib mixtape

Post by unheard78 »

uniqueterror wrote:
Except for the second-to-last instrumental, all of the beats came from two 2000 Dilla beat tapes.

Edited from the intro: https://soundcloud.com/user9638922/check-it-out-yall
https://soundcloud.com/user9638922/baby-d
Check It Out Ya'll is such a sweet beat. I'm pretty sure that's a Stereolab sample. Beautiful shit!

Yeah, the Demo Tape or "Outtakes" or whatever it's called (I call it the demo tape) is sweet. That has to be the tape in question. Do you know what beat tapes those tracks appear on?

I shoulda added Dilla's name to this topic. Anyone know anything about the beat tapes that are floating around, like the MPC 3000 tape with some of the Donuts stuff on it?

TheFroMan420

Post by TheFroMan420 »

unheard78 wrote: I shoulda added Dilla's name to this topic. Anyone know anything about the beat tapes that are floating around, like the MPC 3000 tape with some of the Donuts stuff on it?
I don't know if this is why the donuts stuff is on the tape, but it must have to do with the donuts advance that leaked around the same time (some of the tracks have the same quality, same mix etc.). If I were to compile a fake Dilla beat-tape, I would put the new stuff first.

**Edit - The beats Madlib used for the "Outtakes" album is on Hiccuped Classix Volume 7even.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

TheFroMan420 wrote:
unheard78 wrote: I shoulda added Dilla's name to this topic. Anyone know anything about the beat tapes that are floating around, like the MPC 3000 tape with some of the Donuts stuff on it?
I don't know if this is why the donuts stuff is on the tape, but it must have to do with the donuts advance that leaked around the same time (some of the tracks have the same quality, same mix etc.). If I were to compile a fake Dilla beat-tape, I would put the new stuff first.

**Edit - The beats Madlib used for the "Outtakes" album is on Hiccuped Classix Volume 7even.
Thanks for the scoop FroMan. Adding the new tracks first makes a lot of sense. It's not that I'm doubting the rest of the material, apart from the last few cuts, but if someone wanted to sell a boot tape, putting the newest stuff at the start is definitely one method. It's the tracks at the end that don't sound anything like Dilla to me and probably shouldn't be there. The first of those very produced tracks became a beat named Sundry for Siraj Nuri, though I can't find any credit as to who produced it. Could she have grabbed a supposed Dilla beat and used it even though Dilla had nothing to do with it?

humbruh

Post by humbruh »

unheard78 wrote:

Thanks.
I've got that version of The Ruckus but I don't remember a Dilla over Madlib leak of Champion Sound, only the Madlib over Dilla version. I'll throw The Ruckus online for you though.

http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/66305235/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It still works fine. The key to avoiding the Stone Throw Link Destroying Police is using different titles for albums in the rar/zip name or like in your case no artist listed in the song so they have no idea how to find it.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

humbruh wrote:
unheard78 wrote:

Thanks.

It still works fine. The key to avoiding the Stone Throw Link Destroying Police is using different titles for albums in the rar/zip name or like in your case no artist listed in the song so they have no idea how to find it.

When I used to have my blog I got a very polite e-mail from Jeff Jank asking me to remove some unreleased Madlib stuff I'd posted. I was happy to oblige him and never posted any more full length stuff publicly. That said, I wish they'd share more of that unreleased stuff. Knowing there are at least two or three Quas tunes that didn't make Yessir Whatever, I have to wonder why they're not there. Talkin' Shit might have been a sample issue, especially considering how much shorter the intro on the 45 version is compared to the bootleg version which is otherwise the same. What about Majority and Greed though? I'd ask Jank, but I know he doesn't want to answer every ultra-specific, terribly geeky question, like why Seasons Change was dropped from Further Adventures or why the artwork was slightly changed. Hell, I asked him about the third Funkaho EP, the one that was only released on tape, and he told me outright that he didn't want to talk about it and felt embarrassed about Funkaho. That's fine, I guess, but I thought the Funkaho stuff was great.

Actually, the question I really want the answer to is... how different is Donuts as released from the original disc PBW has? The 45s have some minor differences from the regular album, and those differences are supposedly from the original version of Donuts before it was mastered and whatever. Maybe Houseshoes knows about it.

Oh, just to mention it, I got my hands on an advance promo CD of Further Adventures today. It's got Seasons Change but doesn't have the extended muzak outro at the end of the album. It's also got a voice that announces the name of the album once or twice during each song. It's pretty nice, especially since this version didn't ever leak as far as I know, but I wish it had the outro and no announcer voice. Still, it's better than the "Retarded Hard Copy" of Madvillainy. Anyone still have that one? I'd like to check it again just for (weird) kicks.

TheFroMan420

Post by TheFroMan420 »

unheard78 wrote: Actually, the question I really want the answer to is... how different is Donuts as released from the original disc PBW has? The 45s have some minor differences from the regular album, and those differences are supposedly from the original version of Donuts before it was mastered and whatever. Maybe Houseshoes knows about it.
From what I heard, it was around 30 minutes long. I know this is a crazy suggestion, but I always wondered if the advance that leaked was sourced from that disc or maybe from a copy someone close to PBW had, I don't know. I mean, it fits the criteria, being approx 29 minutes long and the different mixes and sequencing (i.e. the donuts outro before the diff'rence). Who Knows.

If there's one person that would most likely have the scoop on this, it's Houseshoues.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

TheFroMan420 wrote:
unheard78 wrote: Actually, the question I really want the answer to is... how different is Donuts as released from the original disc PBW has? The 45s have some minor differences from the regular album, and those differences are supposedly from the original version of Donuts before it was mastered and whatever. Maybe Houseshoes knows about it.
From what I heard, it was around 30 minutes long. I know this is a crazy suggestion, but I always wondered if the advance that leaked was sourced from that disc or maybe from a copy someone close to PBW had, I don't know. I mean, it fits the criteria, being approx 29 minutes long and the different mixes and sequencing (i.e. the donuts outro before the diff'rence). Who Knows.

If there's one person that would most likely have the scoop on this, it's Houseshoues.
Wait, there was another leak of Donuts? The first version I heard was the Stones Throw promo with the voiceover announcer, which I still have. You have this other leak FroMan?

TheFroMan420

Post by TheFroMan420 »

unheard78 wrote: Wait, there was another leak of Donuts? The first version I heard was the Stones Throw promo with the voiceover announcer, which I still have. You have this other leak FroMan?
I sure do. Took me forever to find it though.

*Link* Hopefully Stones Throw doesn't find this...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6hno3xqabav0hie

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

TheFroMan420 wrote:
unheard78 wrote: Wait, there was another leak of Donuts? The first version I heard was the Stones Throw promo with the voiceover announcer, which I still have. You have this other leak FroMan?
I sure do. Took me forever to find it though.

*Link* Hopefully Stones Throw doesn't find this...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6hno3xqabav0hie
Sweetness! Much thanks, FroMan! Grabbing as I type!

UPDATE: The mixes aren't really different, if there are any differences, though they're clearly shorter versions than most of what was officially released. Lotsa different edits. If this is indeed the genuine article, which I believe it is, Dilla didn't change too much before releasing it other than adding a few beats and extending others. Very cool. Thanks again to FroMan for sharing the wealth!

TheFroMan420

Post by TheFroMan420 »

unheard78 wrote: Sweetness! Much thanks, FroMan! Grabbing as I type!

UPDATE: The mixes aren't really different, if there are any differences, though they're clearly shorter versions than most of what was officially released. Lotsa different edits. If this is indeed the genuine article, which I believe it is, Dilla didn't change too much before releasing it other than adding a few beats and extending others. Very cool. Thanks again to FroMan for sharing the wealth!
Hey, I was wondering if you knew about any of Madlib's beat-tapes? I just got the 100-150 tape and I'm itching to complete the series!

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

TheFroMan420 wrote:Hey, I was wondering if you knew about any of Madlib's beat-tapes? I just got the 100-150 tape and I'm itching to complete the series!
I don't know how many are actually out there, but I can upload some stuff Monday. As for what I have:

100-150 (an hour and 14 minutes, 49 tracks. really good set)
150-200 (41 minutes, 24 tracks)
250-300 (this is really short at 20 minutes and 13 tracks)
Another Beat Tape (60 tracks, an hour and 13 minutes. I just label this 60 Beats. This was a scene repack. Good stuff.)
62 Beats (an hour and 18 minutes. another good one.)

Back to Dilla for a moment, I've downloaded a number of his beat tapes, and some are more interesting than others (sorry, I know that sounds like sacrilege), but the one I'm really interested in is the one with Signs on it. Have any of the other beats on there been used by anyone? I'd really like to know more about it, and I even have to wonder if it might be the Pizza Man beat tape. Any thoughts?

TheFroMan420

Post by TheFroMan420 »

unheard78 wrote: I don't know how many are actually out there, but I can upload some stuff Monday. As for what I have:

100-150 (an hour and 14 minutes, 49 tracks. really good set)
150-200 (41 minutes, 24 tracks)
250-300 (this is really short at 20 minutes and 13 tracks)
Another Beat Tape (60 tracks, an hour and 13 minutes. I just label this 60 Beats. This was a scene repack. Good stuff.)
62 Beats (an hour and 18 minutes. another good one.)

Back to Dilla for a moment, I've downloaded a number of his beat tapes, and some are more interesting than others (sorry, I know that sounds like sacrilege), but the one I'm really interested in is the one with Signs on it. Have any of the other beats on there been used by anyone? I'd really like to know more about it, and I even have to wonder if it might be the Pizza Man beat tape. Any thoughts?
Yo, can you please send the 150-200, 60 Beats & 250-300 links to thats the only e-mail that works for me atm. Mad thanks in advance!

Also, can you fill me in on the beat tapes your talking about? I don't recall the one your referring to as well as the Pizza Man tape.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

TheFroMan420 wrote: Also, can you fill me in on the beat tapes your talking about? I don't recall the one your referring to as well as the Pizza Man tape.
Check your e-mail shortly and you'll find the links. Also, the following all appears in your e-mail as well:

As for the Dilla beat tape I was talking about, Pizza Man, it's been mentioned by PBW as a potential follow-up to Donuts as they liked it almost/just as much. It was also mentioned in the Donuts 33 1/3 book. I wrote to the author, Jordan Ferguson, to ask him about it and a few other things, like whether he got to listen to the original beat tape version of Donuts and if he knew anything about the differences in the 7" box versions, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

The beat tape I think might be Pizza Man was labeled Dilla Beats 3 when I got it. It also lists its year as 2005, but after reading the Donuts book, who knows if that's completely accurate, other than maybe the year the tape was assembled, not when the beats were created.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

unheard78: if you ever get a hold of that "Pizza Man" tape, please hook me up with a copy, i've been fiending to hear it for a long time... in Jordan Ferguson's book he was talking about a version of "Stop" that went through several changes before the album version - that's one of my favorite DILLA songs of all time and would love to hear it.. that "Donuts" book is ill btw, i also have read the 3 1/3 books on Public Enemey's "It Takes A Nation" (fantastic), "Illmatic", Sly's "There's A Riot Going On"... very dope series

as for the thread title, i know Madlib rhymed over Busta's Dilla beat, and PBW put it out on a white label 12" as Jaylib, and Dilla called him up and was a bit mad like if you wanna do something let's do something official... i think the Madlib 16-18 track CD is all songs he recorded for "Champion Sound" and what he sent to Dilla, and Dilla probably did the same (though it never leaked), and then they narrowed it down.

then there's the Madlib demos, if i recall correctly Lib lost both those reference CDs (DOOM and Jaylib) on some plane trip... here's the Madlib demos for anyone that want them.. i have the Jaylib stuff on another comp if someone wants them still:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w4c22hek97wl ... fd-rNb-Y9a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

claaa7 wrote:unheard78: if you ever get a hold of that "Pizza Man" tape, please hook me up with a copy, i've been fiending to hear it for a long time... in Jordan Ferguson's book he was talking about a version of "Stop" that went through several changes before the album version - that's one of my favorite DILLA songs of all time and would love to hear it.. that "Donuts" book is ill btw, i also have read the 3 1/3 books on Public Enemey's "It Takes A Nation" (fantastic), "Illmatic", Sly's "There's A Riot Going On"... very dope series

as for the thread title, i know Madlib rhymed over Busta's Dilla beat, and PBW put it out on a white label 12" as Jaylib, and Dilla called him up and was a bit mad like if you wanna do something let's do something official... i think the Madlib 16-18 track CD is all songs he recorded for "Champion Sound" and what he sent to Dilla, and Dilla probably did the same (though it never leaked), and then they narrowed it down.

then there's the Madlib demos, if i recall correctly Lib lost both those reference CDs (DOOM and Jaylib) on some plane trip... here's the Madlib demos for anyone that want them.. i have the Jaylib stuff on another comp if someone wants them still:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w4c22hek97wl ... fd-rNb-Y9a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got those MV demos but thanks for reposting. I'm kinda amazed a proper rip of the cassette version that Stones Throw was selling hasn't shown up online.

Any chance you've got the Retarded Hard Copy promo of MV, still? Or the version of Dilla's Shining with the movie samples throughout it?

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

Just found a copy of Dilla's Shining with the movie samples. If anyone wants a link, let me know.

I also found copies of El-P's Sleep When You're Dead and Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass with the watermarks. I have a copy of Cage's Def Jux record with the announcer watermarks somewhere, along with Vast Aire's record for Chocolate Industries. Also, just found the copy of Aesop's Fast Cars with his mother asking people not to bootleg his album.

Anyone found a copy of the Retarded Hard Copy promo of Madvillain yet? And on a non-hip hop related hunt, anyone got a copy of Hot Chip's Made In The Dark with the promo watermarks?