When did the golden era end?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Hush

When did the golden era end?

Post by Hush »

I've been working on compiling some Spotify playlists and I can't quite put my finger on when to cut off the golden era one. I was thinking '99 but there was some shit released that year and prior that just doesn't fit that mid/late eighties to mid/late 90's vibe.

Thoughts on when the "golden era" of rap officially ended?

shadowmaster

Re: When did the golden era end?

Post by shadowmaster »

After Petestrumentals?? Semi joking.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

This might sound goofy, but I always thought the golden era ended after the release of The Chronic. That was probably the first time I can think of that so many people stopped caring about what they were bringing to the game and more about what Dre and the "gangstas" were doing. This isn't to say that there weren't golden era rappers still doing their thing, but it was the end of an era because the prevailing attitudes and perspectives changed.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

I would say 1997... mainly because albums became a lot less cohesive and were more concerned with having every 'hot' producer/guest so as to appeal to as many people as possible (the Life After Death formula.) Also, production became a lot less sample-based due to the increasing costs of clearances.

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

Post by HipHopInfinityRIPLOL »

i'm not sure if there's an official/unofficial year but i always believed it to have occurred during 88-92 give or take a year. There's some really good years after that but i feel it really, really started to decline in 96. Again, still some great releases coming out after 92-96 but not comparable to other years. Another caveat that i might add is that this would mainly apply to mainstream stuff. Coincidentally, the underground really had a great run around this 96 period where you really see indy labels and artists pressing/releasing their own music.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

immediately after LAD was released.

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

Post by HipHopInfinityRIPLOL »

did the Philaflava logo on my Chrome tab just change

:gyeah:

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

The Golden Era's LAST year was 1996... and in general I believe the Golden Era to be 1988-1996.

1997 is when everything fully went POP and Hiphop got more watered down then ever. 1997 was the beginning of the end of actual Hiphop in the mainstream. *shrugs*

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL wrote:did the Philaflava logo on my Chrome tab just change

:gyeah:
Yeah we made the change a few weeks back but until you clear cache you might not have seen it.

Thun

Post by Thun »

The golden era ended at the moment Grandmaster Caz relinquished his notebook to Wonder Mike.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

1996 - i used to look at atliens (august 96) asd the day the music "died"
as for a long time that was imo the last no brainer true classic in hop-hop
and maybe it still is

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

I would agree with 1996. I remember buying music in 1996 and having a lot more disappointing albums then ever before.

Ominous

Post by Ominous »

95 was the last golden era year, lotta cats from the late 80's and early 90's started to tank, lots of weak debuts (Smoothe The Hustler, Ghostface, OGC...), weak sophomore albums (Nas, Mobb Deep...). Nothing was really coming out that was touchin the stuff from the previous 4-5 years at all. Of course there's some exceptions but on a whole, drastic decline.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Ghostface had a weak debut??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Mobb Deep's sophomore was weak??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

step one

Post by step one »

A more appropriate question might be when did the golden era of the TROY forum end?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Ominous

Post by Ominous »

yup weak compared to the string of wu releases prior to ghost and weak compared to mobb's debut, there was a noticable drop in quality in hip hop all around compared to previous years

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

That's revisionist thinking, people were playing Ironman for months. People I knew, at least. Personally, I feel Hell on Earth is not as good as Infamous but it was extremely popular at the time. The best parts of HOE are still amazing, though. With both Ironman and HOE it's just a change in production really (lyrically The Infamous was less depressing too), both albums are top notch. Ironman is probably Ghost's best. Most will disagree.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Ominous

Post by Ominous »

so it's revisionist thinking even though thats been my opinion since those albums dropped, the drop in quality to me was obvious. excuse my refined palette

MosesJonesJr

Post by MosesJonesJr »

"lots of weak debuts....weak sophomore albums"

The key word here is "weak"

While "Ironman" and "Hell On Earth" might not be each artists' best work, they are by far anything but weak.

Straight up fact, look it up

For me,
Golden Era ended around '96
That's when rap music went Diddy and hip-hop music went Company Flow

-

Verge

Post by Verge »

Ironman was never considered a *fall off by myself or anyone i know. And these are some seriously critical motherfucks.

*edit: or weak

Ominous

Post by Ominous »

haha surprised no one pulled my card on calling hell on earth their sophomore, guess we all agree the shitstain called juvenile hell wasnt even worth acknowledging

Ominous

Post by Ominous »

yes the keyword is weak, weak compared to their previous work and the releases from previous years, which was the point of the thread and those albums are too weak to be considered golden era which is why i consider 95 the last year

Thun

Post by Thun »

Ominous wrote:haha surprised no one pulled my card on calling hell on earth their sophomore, guess we all agree the shitstain called juvenile hell wasnt even worth acknowledging

Well my initial post assumed that you meant "The Infamous." Either way, your opinion sucks.

Thun

Post by Thun »

step one wrote:A more appropriate question might be when did the golden era of the TROY forum end?
TROY forum peaked during the second year of the TROY Blog (2010 I think?).

Ominous

Post by Ominous »

haha catchin feelings, man up thunny

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

ironman was and is insane...imo other than 36 chambers its the best wu album....and easily ghost's best album...but even if you dont think that its light years better than tical or return to the 36 which were in the string of "wu releases prior"

Ominous

Post by Ominous »

what is a fact is rza himself even said ironman is subpar compared to their previous releases

to me the album sounds like a mixtape, lacks cohesion, subpar production. rza drums were really starting to lack on this too, a trend which continued on forever
Last edited by Ominous on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Ominous wrote:so it's revisionist thinking even though thats been my opinion since those albums dropped, the drop in quality to me was obvious. excuse my refined palette
You're entirely entitled to your opinion, I didn't mean to sound critical of your opinion. I hate a lot of albums that people love and I don't even discuss them as I'd get mobbed. But Ironman was acknowledged as their most soulful solo lp (by Rza himself), they took a different step by including the Delfonics and others. Cuban Linx and Ironman are the only joint Rae, Ghost and Cappa albums before Forever when they all started to fall apart and lose their initial energy.

In my opinion Hell on Earth, on a whole, is nowhere near as good as Infamous but it's peaks are outstanding. A lot of people will defend HOE to death so it's not worth arguing. Mobb Deep never touched the content of Infamous, maybe Q Tip played a large part. The lyrics got more and more cynical almost to the point of self parody in later years, Prodigy became sedated and Havoc sounded like a dyslexic kid reads his lyrics for a few of the later lps. No offence to dyslexic kids they most likely read and write better than Havoc does.

edit- look it up, at the time Rza said Ironman was their most soulful solo lp and a more focused release than some of the previous ones. If he made the comment you mentioned now then it's due to time and other factors.

Ominous

Post by Ominous »

agree w/ most of what you said. as far as the soulful sound on ironman, i believe thats the style that probably suited ghost the best and was a great idea, however i think the problem lies in that it wasnt executed as well as it could have been. according to rza a good portion of the original album was lost in a flood and probably wouldve been a masterpiece but since ive never heard it i can only judge the product that was released to the public.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

The flood stories go on and on. I don't know if I believe half of them. Can't really imagine Ironman being much better, Raekwon tried to convince him to make another crime lp as a sequel but Ghost switched it. I played it too much back then. I also know some very critical people and they all loved it. Can't really think back to that period now. 1995, I prefer that year as a whole.