Lost Boyz - 1995 Promo LP + Non-Album Tracks

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Debonair_P

Lost Boyz - 1995 Promo LP + Non-Album Tracks

Post by Debonair_P »

The retail version of Lost Boyz' 1st album came out around mid-1996. A promo version of the album also came out quite a bit earlier in 1995, and is quite a bit different from the retail version. The promo has different remixes of some songs (Renee and Get Up), songs that weren't on the retail version (Summertime in the City, Party Joint, Niggaz Don't Want It) and different skits and arrangements on other tracks. Strangely for a promo, this came in a full picture cover (which is also different from the retail cover).

I'm not sure what the reason was for all the changes but I'm guessing either sample clearance problems or some of the songs were getting old. Anyway, if you don't like the retail version of the album you probably won't like this one much better, but it's worth checking out IMO.

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6xt6b ... rsion).zip

TRACKLIST:

1. Intro
2. Jeeps, Lex Coups, Bimaz & Benz
3. Lifestyles of the Rich and Shameless
4. Strait From Da Ghetto
5. Get Up
6. Legal Drug Money
7. Keep It Real
8. Channel Zero
9. This Is Da Part
10. Renee
11. Party Joint
12. Summertime In the City
13. The Game
14. Alright
15. 1-2-3
16. Niggaz Don't Want It

ARTWORK (promo on left, retail on right)

Last edited by Debonair_P on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Re: Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money LP (1995 Promo Version)

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

4-5 years ago, I DL-ed a "EP" composed of tracks exclusive to the promo version, but now finally I got the full rip... thanx!!! :cheers:

Anyway, I think promo version sounds a lil' better than the retail version, but I never was a huge fan of their debut... Singles were hella dope (Renee, Lifestyle, Jeeps & Get Up) but the rest of the albums was kinda "meh" to me. I always preferred their second album to their debut... sounds much more "professional" or polished (production wise).

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

Post by HipHopInfinityRIPLOL »

super duper thank you for this. real gem here.
:cheers:

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

good looks! . Summertime In the City is dope! i know it was remixed for the 2nd album but i don't think that touches this mix. I would love to have a cd quality of this whole album. Dirty Harry did one of my favorite blends of alltime with that song too on his hang em high double tape in 96/97?

I wonder what's the deal with Renee. Which is the original? With this mix that's 4 different versions that exist.

Also did you rip this? How is the sound on the actual record when you play it in your room? Maybe it's the rip that makes it still sound a little weak. Not to knock your rip but i wonder if someone with really good recording equipment ripped a fresh copy how good it would sound.

Thanks again. Love the Lost Boyz.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

really love that album will check out the promo version. thanks, wasn't aware that there was a difference even though i've seen the promo, i thought it would only be clean versions

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

i believe the album came out in 95, and there might have been a review in the source. but it probably never got shipped to stores or was pulled. then after a few remixes I.E. renee and music makes me high, they released it again in 96. not sure why the delay because they were one of the hottest groups in the spring/summer of 95.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

Hey bbatson1, good question. This is my own rip from a VG+ copy of the record - I record in ProTools and haven't had any problems about sound quality previously. BUT I did notice that one or two songs did sound a little weaker when I was recording it, notably Lifestyles of the Rich and Shameless. So I just checked the album credits and the two different versions of the album were actually mastered by different people in different studios:

Promo version - mastered by Carlton Batts at the Hit Factory
Retail version - mastered by Michael Sarsfield at Frankford Wayne

This would explain the difference in overall sound quality between the two different versions of the album. Hope this helps!

kartman

Post by kartman »

"Permission Denied".
:(

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

got mediafired. here's reup.
http://www.multiup.org/en/mirror/f132a0 ... e628/5.rar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pw:x8P0TRzDEl6kwt0us9QmJCxq

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

I remember seeing ads with the promo version cover in the source back ten

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Any chance u can up this in FLAC? It would e appreciated. I noticed the promo label says uptown/mca. Uptown closed up shop correct? Didnt the lost boyz retail debut drop on universal? Im assuming the recorded the record for uptown. Then had to re-record for universal?

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

THX

dochiphop

Post by dochiphop »

thanks for sharing this gem. looking forward to hearing the diff version on this vs retail version!

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Thanks for re-upping HipHopInfinityRIPLOL.
madstadik wrote:Any chance u can up this in FLAC? It would e appreciated. I noticed the promo label says uptown/mca. Uptown closed up shop correct? Didnt the lost boyz retail debut drop on universal? Im assuming the recorded the record for uptown. Then had to re-record for universal?
Sorry, but I already deleted the full quality audio after I converted it to 320 MP3... Yes, the retail came out on Universal while the promo was on Uptown/MCA. Uptown also ended up as a subsidiary of Universal which lived on a bit longer (McGruff's album was released on Uptown/Universal for example.) Interestingly the 2 versions of the album had different executive producers - the promo was exec. produced by Andre Harrell (head of Uptown) and "Buttnaked" Tim Dawg, while the retail was exec. produced by Charles Suitt (Group Home Entertainment.) I don't think they entirely re-recorded the songs that are on both versions, just minor changes such as mixing and some of the ad-libs.

Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Anyone on here own this?

http://www.discogs.com/Lost-Boyz-Jeeps- ... se/2169285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

I dig the original version of the album so I`m definitely curious to hear the differences with this version. Thanks a lot, much appreciated!!!

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

This album is much better than i remember. I listened to both versions. I remember my freshman year of high school we were all fiending for this to drop.

vancitysfinest

Post by vancitysfinest »

Couldn't have been more than 4-5 days ago I said to myself that I had reached a point where there are no dope songs left from the mid 90's that I hadn't heard yet. Wrong, lol. I have no idea how I didn't know there was an earlier version of the album till now, but hey I guess there are still a few things that have gotten past my ears. After playing the promo version of "Renee" the last couple of days I gotta say that I think I like the earlier version better.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

I dug up my copy of the Source from June '96, which includes a short Lost Boyz interview as well as a review and ad for the album... all allude to the delay / different version of the release, so I figured I'd scan them (click to enlarge.)

Does anyone have a collection of the Lost Boyz' remixes and non-album tracks from around this time? I have a few of the singles so I could make a start on it, though I'm sure I am missing a few things.

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

oh nice! i could have sworn i saw a review or their album in 95 in the source but as someone else pointed out, it was probably an ad for the album.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

I prefer the remix of renee the og promo mix is dope tho

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL wrote:oh nice! i could have sworn i saw a review or their album in 95 in the source but as someone else pointed out, it was probably an ad for the album.

Oh word? I have most of the issues from 95 so I'll dig through and will see if there was another review.

Also, thanks to a couple people who sent me a bunch of singles etc - I'll compile it all together and will post next week.

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

yeah i probably just imagined the review. so don't go out of your way

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

You didn't imagine it! There's a review in the July 95 issue (3.5 mics again) and an interview in the August 95 issue - I'll scan both over the weekend.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Debonair_P wrote:Also, thanks to a couple people who sent me a bunch of singles etc - I'll compile it all together and will post next week.
Do you have Lifestyles Of The Rich And Shameless single with (Dat Nigga Mix) (West Coast)??

http://www.discogs.com/Lost-Boyz-Lifest ... se/1595577
http://www.discogs.com/Lost-Boyz-Lifest ... se/2006973

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

oh, awesome. one of my delusions is confirmed!

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL wrote:got mediafired. here's reup.
http://www.multiup.org/en/mirror/f132a0 ... e628/5.rar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pw:x8P0TRzDEl6kwt0us9QmJCxq
I can't for the life of me figure out how to download this. Anyone got an alternative link? P?

step one

Post by step one »

its Notting Hill Carnival in London this weekend so I re-upped this blog post. Lost Boyz live on Westwood's stage at Carnival in 1996

http://djstepone.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08 ... nival.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Mark

Code: Select all

http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/17920848/file.html
from the reup

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Bigg Boss Luciano wrote:
Debonair_P wrote:Also, thanks to a couple people who sent me a bunch of singles etc - I'll compile it all together and will post next week.
Do you have Lifestyles Of The Rich And Shameless single with (Dat Nigga Mix) (West Coast)??

http://www.discogs.com/Lost-Boyz-Lifest ... se/1595577
http://www.discogs.com/Lost-Boyz-Lifest ... se/2006973
I think i have that 12" and the remix is pretty underwheling since i expected some G-Funk i will look and if i have it i will record it for you