Dump my music collection???

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

vincentlopez

Dump my music collection???

Post by vincentlopez »

With three children and toys everywhere, I’ve been having an ongoing battle with the wife about getting rid of my stuff in the basement. About 5,000 CD’s plus vinyl, and cassette tapes, which are mostly hip-hop, jazz, and R&B/soul. Tons of books plus old DVD’s and VHS tapes, as well. Then there’s her problem with my music magazine collection (Source, XXL, Vibe, Blaze, One World, etc.), which would probably make us end up in divorce court, so that is off limits no matter what she says.

So it all boils down to getting rid of the music collection which sadly sits in multiple dusty boxes because I have 90% of it on my hard drive or uploaded to Google Play. I’m really stressing over this because I’ve been collecting music since 1984 and can remember when and where I bought every meaningful piece of my collection, not including those old Columbia House deals. I wanted to pass it on to my children one day but ironically, their toys are squeezing me out of space!!! And would they even appreciate old CD's in this digital world?

Then out of nowhere, I saw this article yesterday and I didn’t feel alone in the world.

http://verysmartbrothas.com/im-thinking ... n-hold-me/

Has anyone else been pondering what to do with their physical music collection? Any battles with your significant other over space?
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

LONDON

Re: Dump my music collection???

Post by LONDON »

ha ha, no question, i've got a huge vinly collection i can't play properly because i ain't got a proper decks just some shitty mini hi-fi/run down turntable system, ha ha, but i'm looking too put a lot of my shit in a storage collection facility onced i get enough consistent bread too maintain that status

i got rid of most of my source/xxl/blaze & rap sheet a long time ago, collections starting from 94/95 up too the mid y2k's, but it was the worst mistake that i did, mans screwing, those were collectibles & captured a whole era

my advice is put your vinly in a storage facility if its not too expensive & keep your magazine collection no matter what, ha ha
"get this money by all means necesssary"

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

That article is spot on. I have an "office" in the basement which has now become the dumping grounds for everything in our house that nobody wants to deal with. In there are boxes and boxes of all my cds and all my shelves of vinyl. I can't even get to them if I had to.

About once a year my wife asks if I could start selling them. As if I have the time to post each one on eBay or Discogs and pray I get 99¢ each. Not worth the hassle of dealing with people, packing them up and making endless trips to the post office and then hoping they actually leave some positive feedback.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

if i sell my collection, i sell myself.

STAM

Post by STAM »

Philaflava wrote:if i sell my collection, i sell myself.
yeah i tought same about myself that time when im need to sell around 20% of my collection for nothin.. many around 2 bucks for vinyls. tons of vinyls like ghetto philharominic, royal flush, non phixion, fuckin brooklun zu and MANY more. but... that's the way it iz. i need to take care about food for me and my fience and in that time music was everything what i had

vancitysfinest

Post by vancitysfinest »

With the rise of the internet and mp3's I dumped 90% of my CD collection and all of my tapes in the early 00's. I regret getting rid of my tapes now but could give AF about the CD's being gone. I also have a pretty decent vinyl collection that I continue to add to and those records are staying with me until my dying day.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I started buying hip-hop records in early 1983. In 1988 I sold almost all of them and pissed the money up the wall and I've regretted it ever since.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

I would for sure keep the wax. CD's you can do or get .flac rips, which equal the discs and will be playable forever.

step one

Post by step one »

I'm downsizing the collection because I'm moving soon. I've found there's alot I can live with on just mp3, and then certain classics and personal favourites are to be kept hold of without question.
The main thing that bugs me is that most of the joints I decided to get rid of don't go for much money but I went hard on Discogs and I've managed to shift a fair bit over the last year. The money adds up after a while and it beats getting £10-15 for 100 odd 12"s from the local second hand store.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Son, I'll go all Ray Rice on a bitch if she even broaches the topic.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

My collection has gone up and down over the years. 10 years ago I moved from the UK to Australia. Prior to the move I worked in record stores, DJ'd in nightclubs regularly and played radio weekly. As a result I had about 8000 records. In order to fund the move, I sold most of my doubles and joints I didn't play on eBay - those sales covered the costs of my flights, visa, shipping of all my other records and stuff, enough money to keep me good for a few months (while out if work) and also bought us a new computer. I figure I shifted about 2-3000 records.

The remaining records were shipped by sea and arrived 3 months later - there were 48 tea chests full of records.

Just before my son was born 4 years ago, I had another big cull. We had to vacate my home studio so that my boy could have a bedroom, so begrudgingly I sorted through my records again and sold 8 crates to a local record store. Around this time I took a forced hiatus from DJing to be more family focussed and so wasn't too upset about offloading the "filler" in my collection. My wife wanted me to get rid of all my records, but we compromised and I got to keep my "essentials" in the house (racks in the hallway), and the rest have gone into storage.

Back then I had stopped buying records almost entirely, but over the past year I have been slowly sneaking records back into the house by buying either gap fillers or mint-upping my battered copies - mostly the more pricey pieces, so I'm grabbing a few records every month, here and there.

step one

Post by step one »

Roy Johnson wrote:Son, I'll go all Ray Rice on a bitch if she even broaches the topic.
:lol:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

By the time I started taking a keen interest in music, iPod and internet (particularly Napster and Limewire) were the new wave. As a result I've never developed a fetish for records, tapes, CDs, ... etc. All those formats predated me. However, I do tend to prefer to download my music (& store it locally) rather than stream it. I think this is a preference that is peculiar to my generation because these days I've noticed that it's all Spotify this and Spotify that. Personally it makes me queasy.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dochiphop

Post by dochiphop »

If you get rid of your entire music collection you will regret it forever. I had a friend in the early 90's that pawned his CD collection for some fast cash so he could have some cash in his pocket. His plan was to get it out of pawn before he lost them all but he never did it (as I knew he wouldn't). So the day his CD's went on sale at the pawn shop I took him with me and went and bought the CD's of his that I wanted. I still have them to this day. He regrets that decision all the time.

Maybe you could get rid of some of those books and VHS tapes. And possibly get rid of some of the less important music in your collection. But I guarantee that you will regret it someday if you get rid of it all. It's a tough decision because priorities change with family etc but your love of music will never die. So be careful, think it over thoroughly before you make a decision.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

dochiphop wrote: ... but your love of music will never die.
let's not conflate clinging irrationally to an obsolete format with love of music. love of music never dies but formats do. yea sure you might have that one odd cd that's not on itunes, but i guarantee the majority of the albums you have on CD are easily available as MP3s (or can be converted to MP3 cheaply).
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

ChaMerZ wrote:
let's not conflate clinging irrationally to an obsolete format with love of music. love of music never dies but formats do. yea sure you might have that one odd cd that's not on itunes, but i guarantee the majority of the albums you have on CD are easily available as MP3s (or can be converted to MP3 cheaply).
I don't like "collector snobbery", so I don't like it if someone implies that if you listen to MP3s instead of records, you're somehow less of a music fan, but to those who have the record collecting bug, MP3s aren't really a replacement. It's like replacing a baseball card collection with high quality scans of the cards on a PC. It ain't the same.

I don't think it's totally irrational either. My physical media collection has monetary value. An MP3 collection doesn't. Also, there are lots of good memories attached to my collection. I've got records signed by artists. I can remember finding certain records in a certain shop. I spent every Saturday afternoon hanging around in my local record shop when I was a youth and met a bunch of cool people because of that. Sure, you can say that some of that is nostalgia, but that's not a bad thing. The experience of collecting records over the years has given me some experiences that sitting in an office chair clicking a download button never has and never will, but I totally understand that some people do not care about the format at all. I'm just not one of those people. I love digital music and the advantages it brings, but it's a complement to my physical media collection rather than a replacement for it.

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

ChaMerZ wrote:
Talking about an obsolete format.. How many times I've lost whole harddrives full of music/mp3's since 2009 vs CD's and things I still own from the 90's. And yeah, maybe the majority of music is still easily accessible to download, but all those links will disappear in a few months/years. Remember what happened to rapidshare, zshare, megaupload, mediafire??

Totally agree with Sigma's post!

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

ZiekeFons wrote:Remember what happened to rapidshare, zshare, megaupload, mediafire??
Mediafire too? :ohhh: daaamn.

Anyways, if you are going to use that argument then records, cd's and especially cassettes are just as transient. None of those formats is going to survive a nuclear holocaust. I definitely get where both you and Sigma are coming from but I just wanted to play devil's advocate, because whether you cats like it or not, technology will continue to forge ahead. Music consumption is intimately tied to what's currently in vogue technology wise and in my view the future looks to be just as turbulent / disruptive as its been the past 10-15 years.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I'll take a dump on any bitch that asks me to git rid of my music collection with the quickness, vinyl head fo life!
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yeah, this is a non-broachable topic in my home. However, I've vowed to never become one of these dudes who's got records piling up next to the baby crib making the place unsafe and what not, should I ever choose to reproduce that is.

If you've got to sell it all, all of it, and at once, my recommendation would be to go to the best record store in your state with a comprehensive list of what you've got and try to negotiate an offer. You're going to get screwed and get way less back than you paid for it, but the only other options would be connecting with an individual collector who might pay you more (but how do you find such an individual quickly) or to sell everything off on discogs or ebay (which could take forever).

I would, however, cherry pick the collection and keep my favorites (not necessarily the most valuable, but the most personally important) before selling in bulk.

Versive

Post by Versive »

My girlfriend wishes to add that you should just organize it so that it's not in the way. Get it off the floor, get shelves, invest in making it nice and your wife may get off your back about it. She also says stop being a hoarder and assures me she'd never make me get rid of my vinyl.

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

The volume of CDs isn't a issue for me. Vinyl's is a different topic though. It also depends what genre you are looking at a well.

I've started this process about a year ago, by selling off some of my hiphop collection; fillers and stuff I don't listen to. Every now and then a throw up some new items on Discogs.

This process is pretty straight forward for hiphop since there is a love for vinyl, and collectors our there. Most times I've made my money back or earned a few £££.

My biggest problem is my Drum & Bass collection. These records don't hold their value unless they are rare promos or test presses, which I'd most likely keep anyway. Think I have to do a bulk sale on eBay or similar. Here, I'm sure I will make a big loss... Cannot list several 100 items for 1p each on Discogs.

BC
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i go to my cd and record collection at least on a weekly basis and read the liner notes of random albums....it is not going anywhere ever

there also is nothing like going down into the basement and pulling a real cd out the rack to listen to in the car....its akin to reading a real newspaper on the train to work everyday for me

damn im old

Verge

Post by Verge »

The gems i've lost through the years gave me abandonment (?) issues. Ok, not abandonment, but issues where i was always chasing things, never being happy with what i had, but thats neither here nor there, i have kids now and those issues are long gone, lol.
Having to start over in the mid 2000s i had to just try to focus on one genre/era and of course that would be mid 90s rap shit. Really cant imagine having to live without at least one good 16 slot ikea shelf of vinyl and boxes on top of it with CDs tapes and paraphernalia. I do tend to look at some of my records as insurance, sometimes gotta sell something off to pay a bill or some shit.
Let me know what you do though Vincent, I'm a fan of some of that exclusive basement stuff you shared with us years ago.