Fat Joe Had A Lil` Beef With Masta Ace???

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Fat Joe Had A Lil` Beef With Masta Ace???

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

News to me, but I`m sure plenty of y`all knew this already. For those that didn`t know, check it out...

The pic`s too big to share on the board so here`s the link to the Ego Trip interview with Joe...

Peep...

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

Freezy Pazzy

Re: Fat Joe Had A Lil` Beef With Masta Ace???

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

You never heard "Top ten list"?

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Interesting article and thanks for sharing. I do remember seein Ace's throwups a couple times here in NY, once in my hood and another time near a friend in the Bronx. Onyx said they had a lil beef with Ace too in the early 90's recently with Juan Epstien.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

I understand the point Joe was trying to make, but if you listen to Master Ace's 2nd album, a lot of the tracks are east-coast rooted heavy bass joints, there were only a few tracks that had a west-coast tinge to them. The rest was unmistakably NY.
No more Sasso. Now everybody call me Ron!

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

ScholarWenis wrote:I understand the point Joe was trying to make, but if you listen to Master Ace's 2nd album, a lot of the tracks are east-coast rooted heavy bass joints, there were only a few tracks that had a west-coast tinge to them. The rest was unmistakably NY.
Yup. And most of these tracks were less embarassing than what a lot of New-Yorkers were trying to do around the same time, emulating the West Coast sound with terrible results. "Keepers of the funk" anyone?

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

I`ve heard that "Top Ten List" joint, it`s actually one of my fav` Masta Ace songs. I just never put the pieces together....LoL, I just always assumed that the lines were directed to rappers/emcees in general, but after reading the interview I can see it clearly now...

..."And real gangsters don`t talk shit in magazines
5, never judge a rapper by the song he make
Some of the coolest rapping niggas will drop your ass in a lake
And on the other hand, some of them screaming "Keep it real"
Their video`s the only time they ever busted steel"...

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

Freezy Pazzy wrote: "Keepers of the funk" anyone?
lol, I really like that album. The crossover west-coast stuff was a total failure, but listen to "Ready Or Not", "No Pain" and "Neva Faded", even the last 2 tracks (which were clearly filler) Yes Ya'll and What U See. Might not have aged really well, but that's authentic east coast shit right there.

If you wanna turn the tables a bit, a lot of west coast artists back then trying to emulate the east-coast sound often fell flat. An example would be Ice-T's VI Return Of The Real. Although he might have just been paying homage, it had some very poorly constructed NY-esque material. Listen to this piss-poor attempt to come east coast:

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

ScholarWenis wrote:lol, I really like that album. The crossover west-coast stuff was a total failure, but listen to "Ready Or Not", "No Pain" and "Neva Faded", even the last 2 tracks (which were clearly filler) Yes Ya'll and What U See. Might not have aged really well, but that's authentic east coast shit right there.
I was talking about the track of the same name more than the whole album. "Ready or not" is still one of their best songs to this day, this beat was pure gold. But I heard a lot of New Yorkers trying to add sirens & mellow synths to their beats in the mid-90's, and most of the times it was a total failure. And on the contrary, Ace was one of the best to do it in my opinion, you could really tell he loved that Death Row's sound with a passion. I never thought he shitted on his musical legacy or his listeners by adding a lil' West Coast flavor to his sound, he did it pretty right to me.
ScholarWenis wrote:If you wanna turn the tables a bit, a lot of west coast artists back then trying to emulate the east-coast sound often fell flat. An example would be Ice-T's VI Return Of The Real. Although he might have just been paying homage, it had some very poorly constructed NY-esque material. Listen to this piss-poor attempt to come east coast:

Ice was down with a lot of East Coast cats, like Raw Breed and their whole entourage. SLJ (or Slej Tha Ruffedge), who became part of Sa-Ra Creative Partners a few years later, used to work a lot with him in the mid-90's, and I think Marc Live was involved at one point also. Ironically, "VI" was his most West Coast sounding album, until then his music didn't carry too much of that flavor and could have been made elsewhere IMHO (Which doesn't take anything away from its qualities, of course).

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

Freezy Pazzy wrote:Ice was down with a lot of East Coast cats, like Raw Breed and their whole entourage. SLJ (or Slej Tha Ruffedge), who became part of Sa-Ra Creative Partners a few years later, used to work a lot with him in the mid-90's, and I think Marc Live was involved at one point also. Ironically, "VI" was his most West Coast sounding album, until then his music didn't carry too much of that flavor and could have been made elsewhere IMHO (Which doesn't take anything away from its qualities, of course).
I didn't even know Slej eventually ended up in Sa-Ra, admittedly I slept on the Sa-Ra stuff when it first came out. I see here that he's actually Shafiq Husayn, which is crazy! Anyway, enough of hijacking this thread, thanks for the info.

grass

Post by grass »

"Masta Ace 2nd album"?
You must meen his third one Right concidering Slaughtahouse is one of T H E Most prolific East coast albums ever made.
Sittin On Chrome on the other hand did have some West coast influence on some of the tracks.
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

Thun

Post by Thun »

I had read somewhere else that Fat Joe stepped to Ace over the verse about the "Puerto Rican Latin chico Rico Suave" on Jeepassnigguhz. But maybe there were several reasons.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Thun wrote:I had read somewhere else that Fat Joe stepped to Ace over the verse about the "Puerto Rican Latin chico Rico Suave" on Jeepassnigguhz. But maybe there were several reasons.
Yeah the story is different depending on the interviews referenced, the one you quoted was what I presumed it was about but then the other version become mentioned a lot online. I didn't read the article linked to in the first post but Fat Joe mentioned stepping to 'some rapper and his crew' and them being scared by a bulge in his jacket which they thought was a mack. No idea if any of it was true. It was in XXL mag years ago. He didn't mention Ace but I think the article referred to said rapper insulting Latinos.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€