Death Row: Swap Meet Tapes? and stuff?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

unheard78

Death Row: Swap Meet Tapes? and stuff?

Post by unheard78 »

Okay, I'm working on a project alongside my podcast (it just launched and there is only one episode so... nevermind for now) and I was hoping to get some help with something. Specifically, a few years ago there were some Death Row rarities tapes posted online, one by Irish Craig with some rough mixes and demos, mostly of Doggystyle era tracks but a few Dogg Pound things too, and a huge collection of other tracks from throughout the Death Row life cycle, all in varying levels of quality. But what I really wanna know is...

Are any of these original tapes available? Any collectors still have them? Craig's tape rip is good, though I think I could take the quality up a notch, but what about the other stuff? Is the original version of The Next Episode ripped from RealAudio or from a tape that was dipped in acid? What other tapes are around? Are there more Chronic outtakes, demos or rough mixes about? Apart from The Ho Hopper and Mr. Officer (someone's gotta have a tape of it), what other songs were left off the album? Was shit recorded for potential Rage and RBX albums that Dre produced, or not? Anyone know where Greg Royal got his hair done?

Seriously, lots of questions, and all of them are legit (apart from that one about Greg Royal, I'm not trying to bash on Gregski), but what I really want to do is exhume as many of these tapes as possible and rip them with some really good equipment, do a proper clean-up job on them, and make them available for download somewhere, mostly since Koch (they own the Death Row catalog and archives now, right? Not WideAwake any longer, right?) don't look like they're ever going to do a proper retrospective for these artists, despite one needing to be done. I don't care about a digital remaster of Doggystyle or The Chronic, not when they don't seem one bit different from the original releases, I want real archival stuff! The stuff that matters! Like that Snoop Dogg Lost Sessions comp, which was a nice try, but it would help if it were still in print and didn't have half-mixed leftovers from the post-Doggfather era (who the hell is L.T. Hutton anyway? And why do is tracks sound unmixed?).

By the way, Irish Craig, if you're reading this, I tried to reach out to you on Twitter. Do you still have the original Death Row Demos and Rough Mixes tape, or a raw, lossless rip of it?

PS - I know everyone is aware that a beat from Warren G's first album is also the beat for Dre's original Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat, but there is also the beat for the original Next Episode. Was Warren G really making tons of beats for Dre, or was Dre gifting him beats under the table for his album?

step one

Re: Death Row: Swap Meet Tapes? and stuff?

Post by step one »

Someone hooked me up with this recently

https://www.sendspace.com/file/93cxih" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies for a lack of tracklist but its 21 tracks inc the original/unreleased Rat A Tat Tat, Mind Made Up, Big Pimpin etc + the early Snoop joints like Nigga Named Dave
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

I did a post years ago on the TROY Blog, mega link is still active.

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2010/08/26/d ... ugh-mixes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

01 Dr. Dre-Puffin On Blunts
02 Snoop Dogg-Whats My Name (Version 1)
03 Snoop Dogg-Gin and Juice
04 Snoop Dogg-Doggy Style
05 Snoop Dogg-Moms Are Crying
06 Snoop Dogg-What's My Name (Version 2)
07 Dr. Dre-G Thang Jam
08 Tha Dogg Pound-Niggaz Dont Give A Fuck (Version 1)
09 Tha Dogg Pound-Niggaz Dont Give A Fuck (Version 2)

And I know I have the download from this post at Steady Bloggin:
http://www.steadybloggin.com/death-row-unreleased/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

Hey Step, much thanks for the link! And Dirt Dog, thank you as well! I actually have that download, but do you have the original tape? There is so much incredible stuff on that tape, makes me wonder what other craziness is out there.

If you do have that original tape, like I said earlier, I can do a very good rip of it.

mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

Back in 1993, Source Magazine featured a preview of upcoming releases. It mentioned a song that was supposed to appear on Doggystyle called "God Don't Like Ugly". I wonder what happened to that song.

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

unheard78 wrote:Hey Step, much thanks for the link! And Dirt Dog, thank you as well! I actually have that download, but do you have the original tape? There is so much incredible stuff on that tape, makes me wonder what other craziness is out there.

If you do have that original tape, like I said earlier, I can do a very good rip of it.
I no longer have that tape. Someone reached out to me after I posted it and bought it off me. And it wasn't an original, just something some other trader had made for me. It's been years, but I'm pretty sure I did the best job possible with my equipment at home and all the software on my computer. But I'm a digital hoarder... I bet I still have the original .aiff files from when I recorded the tape and before I did any work on it.

The tape also had some other stuff from Sunz of Man, Cypress Hill and the Alkaholiks.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

God Don't Like Ugly? The description of the song sounds kind of like Murder Was The Case or Poor Young Dave (or whatever that track is called). Also makes me think of how a part of the Dave verse was used in RBX's Mom's Are Crying. Did Snoop write it, or RBX, or a little bit of both?

djrikkirick

Post by djrikkirick »

Got this years ago. Don't know where but here it is

DJ Quik Death Row Sesions

https://www.mediafire.com/?hr1y83qg8rewhbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djrikkirick

Post by djrikkirick »

Hey Step One you are a lifesaver man. Everything got deleted off my external drive and for some reason not all the songs on that Death Row Stories got saved to the cloud so thanks a million

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

check this site, the links are still working (mediafire): http://thedeathrowrecords.blogspot.nl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be sure to check the sam sneed song The Heist (for some reason Dear God ft. Lady of Rage) isn't on the comp :(

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

Found an interesting thing last night. With all the WideAwake releases kinda sucking, though there being some occasional gems buried deep within, I was reviewing the "ultimate" collection they issued, the one with three CDs and one DVD, only to notice the version of Natural Born Killaz barely has Ice Cube in it, has some alternate versions of Dre's verses, and has someone else that isn't credited and doesn't appear on the final versions doing two verses. I don't know if it's J-Flexx, as I'm not that familiar with his voice, but since he wrote Dre's verses on NBK I'd figure it quite possible. There are also two Dre-produced tracks on the third disc, one for Crooked I that features the beat from the original Next Episode and one for Rage which is clearly unfinished. Her vocals, and the uncredited rapper on the second verse, are mixed so low in the track they're practically impossible to hear. Goddamn crazy.

This brings up another question. Anyone have any ideas on why none of the other tracks featuring Dre on vocals from the Death Row era haven't been released? You'd figure that would have been one of the first things WideAwake would have done after acquiring the catalog, especially since they made one for Snoop. And since Snoop's release has most of the tracks intended for Doggystyle that didn't make the cut, why not Tha Next Episode? Does Dre have control over those tracks despite not owning them outright?

In all seriousness, who here knows the most about the Death Row catalog? Who would I have to reach out to to get further information?

mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

unheard78 wrote:the version of Natural Born Killaz barely has Ice Cube in it, has some alternate versions of Dre's verses, and has someone else that isn't credited and doesn't appear on the final versions doing two verses
it's Sam Sneed

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

mudfoot wrote:
unheard78 wrote:the version of Natural Born Killaz barely has Ice Cube in it, has some alternate versions of Dre's verses, and has someone else that isn't credited and doesn't appear on the final versions doing two verses
it's Sam Sneed
Thanks for the heads-up, mudfoot. I'm assuming it was a mistake that they used that version.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

unheard78 wrote:In all seriousness, who here knows the most about the Death Row catalog? Who would I have to reach out to to get further information?
You should hit up this cat samutahjazz from the UGHH.com forums cuz that dude has crazy knowledge about Death Row Records. Maybe make this same post over there??

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
unheard78 wrote:In all seriousness, who here knows the most about the Death Row catalog? Who would I have to reach out to to get further information?
You should hit up this cat samutahjazz from the UGHH.com forums cuz that dude has crazy knowledge about Death Row Records. Maybe make this same post over there??
Thanks for the suggestion WiCkEd22, I'll head over there and get in contact with him.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

https://soundcloud.com/damfunk/213-aka-snoop-nate-dogg-warren
Dam-Funk wrote:213 aka Snoop Doggy Dogg, Nate Dogg & Warren G - It Ain't No Fun ft. Kurupt (OG Cassette Tape Demo / 1993). Bought, personally by me in 1993, from L.A.'s Slauson Swap Meet. Later version 'with all the bells & whistles added on it' came months later. This version was on the streets first.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

TheBigSleep wrote: https://soundcloud.com/damfunk/213-aka-snoop-nate-dogg-warren
Dam-Funk wrote:213 aka Snoop Doggy Dogg, Nate Dogg & Warren G - It Ain't No Fun ft. Kurupt (OG Cassette Tape Demo / 1993). Bought, personally by me in 1993, from L.A.'s Slauson Swap Meet. Later version 'with all the bells & whistles added on it' came months later. This version was on the streets first.
Tight version. Makes me wonder what else Dam-Funk has. He seems like a cool cat.

mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

SugaQuik

Post by SugaQuik »

unheard78 wrote:PS - I know everyone is aware that a beat from Warren G's first album is also the beat for Dre's original Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat, but there is also the beat for the original Next Episode. Was Warren G really making tons of beats for Dre, or was Dre gifting him beats under the table for his album?
Daz and Warren G were bringing beats and Dre was producing the records.

The original Next Episode was produced by Warren G. Pretty sure Snoop confirmed this at some point.
Last edited by SugaQuik on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

In case you missed (copy & paste from the rarities section)

Dr. Dre-O.G. 2 B.G. (Feat. Snoop Dogg) (Original Version)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jh7ix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 28Orig.mp3

source http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=322406.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some more death row leaks (non-pac)
http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=322209.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Untitled"
(Dat Nigga Daz featuring Lil Hershey Loc & The D.O.C.)
(additionnal vocals : Nate Dogg)
(produced by : Dr Dre)
(Recorded 6-25-1993), Dre instrumental made during Doggystyle sessions and then used for "Some Bomb Azz Pussy"

http://www93.zippyshare.com/v/QD1w977f/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

SugaQuik wrote:
unheard78 wrote:PS - I know everyone is aware that a beat from Warren G's first album is also the beat for Dre's original Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat, but there is also the beat for the original Next Episode. Was Warren G really making tons of beats for Dre, or was Dre gifting him beats under the table for his album?
And Chris "The Glove" Taylor.
Yella did all the beats on the NWA shit, Daz, Glove & Warren on the early Death Row, then Sam Sneed; on the Aftermath shit it was Mel-Man & Mike Elizondo, etc... basically all Dre does is program the drums and mix the records. Most overrated mo-fo in hip-hop history. That being said, I still love the Chronic, but most of the props go out to writers (D.O.C., RBX & Snoop) and beatmakers (Daz, Glove & Warren) not Dre (he gets the "conductor" and executive props).
Fritz wrote:In case you missed (copy & paste from the rarities section)

Dr. Dre-O.G. 2 B.G. (Feat. Snoop Dogg) (Original Version)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jh7ix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 28Orig.mp3

source http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=322406.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some more death row leaks (non-pac)
http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=322209.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Untitled"
(Dat Nigga Daz featuring Lil Hershey Loc & The D.O.C.)
(additionnal vocals : Nate Dogg)
(Recorded 6-25-1993), Dre instrumental made during Doggystyle sessions and then used for "Some Bomb Azz Pussy"

http://www93.zippyshare.com/v/QD1w977f/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:cheers:

SugaQuik

Post by SugaQuik »

Bigg Boss Luciano wrote:
SugaQuik wrote:
Fritz wrote:And Chris "The Glove" Taylor.
Yella did all the beats on the NWA shit, Daz, Glove & Warren on the early Death Row, then Sam Sneed; on the Aftermath shit it was Mel-Man & Mike Elizondo, etc... basically all Dre does is program the drums and mix the records. Most overrated mo-fo in hip-hop history. That being said, I still love the Chronic, but most of the props go out to writers (D.O.C., RBX & Snoop) and beatmakers (Daz, Glove & Warren) not Dre (he gets the "conductor" and executive props).
They definitely contributed but i don't think they were doing everything for Dre at Death Row. Snoop explained the "beatmarker" and "producer" part in a interview a few years back.

I think Daz gets more credit than he deserves sometimes...I mean he's been using ghost and co-producers just as much as Dre throughout his career.

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Pound 4 Life (Original Version) (1993)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGoMwZllp0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

Snoop Dogg Ft. Kurupt - Every Dog Has His Day (Prod. Dr. Dre) , 1994

http://www117.zippyshare.com/v/FJfBl3Aw/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

txs http://www.bomb1st.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

Various - "Def Row, Still Funky Enough [DGC]
01. Eat A Dick
(Snoop Doggy Dogg)
(additional vocals : Lil Hershey Loc)

02. One Eight Seven
(Dr Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg)

03. Poor Young Dave
(Snoop Doggy Dogg)

04. Doggystyle
(Snoop Doggy Dogg)
(additional vocals : Tony Green, Jewell)

05. O.G. 2 B.G.
(Dr Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg)

06. Niggaz Don't Give A Fuck
(Tha Dogg Pound featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg)
(additional vocals : Dr Dre, The Lady Of Rage)

07. Puffin On Blunts & Drankin Tanqueray
(The Lady Of Rage, Dat Nigga Daz, Kurupt)
(additional vocals : Dr Dre)

08. Fallin Asleep On Death Row
(Snoop Doggy Dogg)
(additional vocals : The D.O.C.)

09. Bitches Ain't Shit
(Dr Dre featuring Dat Nigga Daz, Kurupt, Snoop Doggy Dogg)
(additional vocals : Jewell)

10. Freestyle
(Snoop Doggy Dogg featuring Dat Nigga Daz, Kurupt)

11. Untitled Groove
(Lil Hershey Loc featuring Dat Nigga Daz)
(additional vocals : Nate Dogg, The D.O.C.)
(produced by : Dat Nigga Daz)

12. Every Single Day
(Snoop Doggy Dogg featuring Kurupt, Dat Nigga Daz)
(additional vocals : Nate Dogg, Jewell, The D.O.C.)

13. Smoke On
(Snoop Doggy Dogg)
(additional vocals : Hugg)

14. G'z Up Hoez Down
(Snoop Doggy Dogg)
(additional vocals : Hugg)

15. The Root Of All Evil
(Snoop Doggy Dogg)
(additional vocals : Tina Marie)

16. Every Dogg Has His Day
(Snoop Doggy Dogg featuring Kurupt)

17. Dogg Pound 4 Life
(Tha Dogg Pound featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg)

Props to the bomb1st forum and the poster BowdenCstyle
http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/7zCCwLgh/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SugaQuik

Post by SugaQuik »

This has just leaked:

LP

01. Doggfather (Original Daz Ruff Mix) - As heard on the 2pac video
02. Up Jump The Boogie (Ruff Mix)
03. Freestyle Conversation (Ruff Mix)
04. Gold Rush (Ruff Mix)
05. Tear 'um (Ruff Mix)
06. Vapors (Original DJ Pooh Ruff Mix)
07. 2001 (Ruff Mix)
08. Sixx Minutes (Ruff Mix)
09. Wake Up (Ruff Mix)
10. Doggyland (Ruff Mix)

*All material unreleased

Sessions

01. Gangstaz Life (Unreleased Song)
02. Definition Of A Homeboy (Unreleased Song)
03. 21st Street (Ruff Mix) 2 ft Tray D & Bad Azz - Alternate Mix & ft Bad Azz.
04. May I Funk With You (Ruff Mix) 2 - Alternate Mix
05. Tell Her What She Wants (Interlude) (Unreleased)
06. Pop Bloccin' ft Techniec, Kurupt & Big Pimpin (Unreleased Song)
07. County Blues (Ruff Mix) - Alternate Mix
08. Dat Bumpin' ft Daz Dillinger (Unreleased Song)
09. Usual Suspects (Ruff Mix) 2 - Alternate Mix
10. Some Other Shit (Unreleased Song)
11. Eastsiderz (Original Soopafly Version) ft Tray D & Daz Dillinger - New Beat & Unheard Lyrics
12. Get In 2 This ft Charlie Wilson (Unreleased Song)
13. Street Life (1st Take) ft Prince Ital Joe - Unheard Snoop Outro
14. C Walkin' (Ruff Mix) - Alternate Mix
15. Vapors (BC Remix) - ft Charlie Wilson & Tina Marie (R.I.P.) (Unreleased)
16. Head Doctor (Ruff Mix) - Alternate Mix, No RS Signing.
17. Change Is Gonna Come (Ruff Mix) - Alternate Mix

Sessions (Unused Instrumentals)

01. LT Hutton Instrumental #1
02. LT Instrumental #2
03. Priest Instrumental
04. Shawn Barney Rubble Instrumental - Snoop on intro

Unreleased Singles

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Vapors (New Mix) Gold Promo INT5P6153

01 Vapors (New Mix) wav
02 Vapors (Radio) wav

https://we.tl/AQzfNtidxg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;